Jetpacks out, Thrusters/Weaker Jetpacks In?

For me, jetpacks in reach ruin map control as players are given the ability to just avoid the map’s obstructions and structures that are strategically place to channel map control.

I know there are tons of people who now do like jetpacks, but would it be reasonable to replace jetpacks with thrusters instead?

Edit: I didn’t mean thrusters in a literal sense. I think I got a little confused on how to word this.
I meant thrusters in a sense to make the current jetpacks weaker, as in being able to jetpack only in short bursts but with quickened speed.

How would they differ? Would thrusters only be used in certain areas of a map??

Well, I’m thinking they’d sort of act as jetpacks with shorter fly time so you won’t be able to just fly all the way into the sky and just completely ignore the map’s internal bounds. To make up for the shorter fly times, the thrusters would give you a quicker boost. So, you’d just have the ability to thrust yourself up a few feet rather than story levels.

> Well, I’m thinking they’d sort of act as jetpacks with shorter fly time so you won’t be able to just fly all the way into the sky and just completely ignore the map’s internal bounds. To make up for the shorter fly times, the thrusters would give you a quicker boost. So, you’d just have the ability to thrust yourself up a few feet rather than story levels.

Basically a Super-Jump, yeah? That could work

> Well, I’m thinking they’d sort of act as jetpacks with shorter fly time so you won’t be able to just fly all the way into the sky and just completely ignore the map’s internal bounds. To make up for the shorter fly times, the thrusters would give you a quicker boost. So, you’d just have the ability to thrust yourself up a few feet rather than story levels.

That’s funny, I was reading the first half of your post and thought to myself that you’d have to have a quicker boost to adjust.

Anyway, I usually only use sprint but I could see how this would help to maintain map control but I am not sure if it would be as popular as the Jetpack…but maybe that’s a good thing, lol.

Thrusters are standard issue in Mk. VI armor. They’re for maneuvering around in a vacuum. Modern-day astronauts use them.

It’s not a jetpack in the Halo 4 trailer, just a zero-g thruster. It probably could give the player a extra foot of height when jumping, but that’s it.

I hate armor abilitys.

<4 <343

> I hate armor abilitys.
>
> <4 <343

I love armour abilities, especially the jet pack because… well because its a freakin jet pack.

> > I hate armor abilitys.
> >
> > <4 <343
>
> I love armour abilities, especially the jet pack because… well because its a freakin jet pack.

Hate it because it ruins strategy in Halo. I want my old squares with a circle inside of it that took team and map control to get it and use it.

<4 <343

> > > I hate armor abilitys.
> > >
> > > <4 <343
> >
> > I love armour abilities, especially the jet pack because… well because its a freakin jet pack.
>
> Hate it because it ruins strategy in Halo. I want my old squares with a circle inside of it that took team and map control to get it and use it.
>
> <4 <343

I think this is the biggest problem people have when a new game in the series comes out. The game has some new features or mechanics and people soon realise their old strategies don’t work and they get pissed. Why can’t people just adapt their stratigies? Its a new game why not try and play it in a new way.

Fires jet pack, hits ceiling, falls of cliff, dies.

> > > > I hate armor abilitys.
> > > >
> > > > <4 <343
> > >
> > > I love armour abilities, especially the jet pack because… well because its a freakin jet pack.
> >
> > Hate it because it ruins strategy in Halo. I want my old squares with a circle inside of it that took team and map control to get it and use it.
> >
> > <4 <343
>
> I think this is the biggest problem people have when a new game in the series comes out. The game has some new features or mechanics and people soon realise their old strategies don’t work and they get pissed. Why can’t people just adapt their stratigies? Its a new game why not try and play it in a new way.
>
> Fires jet pack, hits ceiling, falls of cliff, dies.

Yes, what you said is right, but, jet packs do fail, people who uses jet packs a lot tend to be annoying, and easy pray.

And as far as thrusters goes, they are not jetpacks, they’re not made to take a 200lb man, and fly him around at high speeds and keep him in the air for long periods at a time. They’re made to give a person in zero-G a small amount of thrust just to move a person who weighs 0lb around. In fact that give off so much thrust, that if you strap a 90lb girl into a thruster pack that gives off the same amount of thrust shown in the Halo 4 CG trailer, all it’d do is maybe take the weight of the pack off of her, and maybe even make her a few pounds lighter. So the Chiefs thruster pack wont even give him a little higher jump, in Earth gravity.
Is it a wise move to replace the jetpack with a weak, zero-G space use only thruster pack? Yes, cause it doesn’t really change the game play, even if they do a near zero-G map, there would be all most no need for the thrusters, and they’d most likely be use once in a blue moon.

Now, for my standard “Halo 4 game play thoughts thread” statement: Why do we need to be posting threads about stuff we saw in the CG trailer, it’s a CG trailer, we don’t know what’s going to be in game play, other than what 343 has told us. Also, sense when does any thing in a CG trailer end up in real game play.

> > > > I hate armor abilitys.
> > > >
> > > > <4 <343
> > >
> > > I love armour abilities, especially the jet pack because… well because its a freakin jet pack.
> >
> > Hate it because it ruins strategy in Halo. I want my old squares with a circle inside of it that took team and map control to get it and use it.
> >
> > <4 <343
>
> I think this is the biggest problem people have when a new game in the series comes out. The game has some new features or mechanics and people soon realise their old strategies don’t work and they get pissed. Why can’t people just adapt their stratigies? Its a new game why not try and play it in a new way.
>
> Fires jet pack, hits ceiling, falls of cliff, dies.

I suppose it’s because not everything that is introduced in successive sequels or further games in a franchise work as well as they should. With thrusters, I feel it’d combine the best of both worlds. I mean, does it really make sense to just jetpack your way up all the way up over a map and see whatever the heck is going on. Thrusters will still allow players to fly up, but in more subtle manner. And the quickened speed of the boost should help to alleviate any other concerns.

Thrusters (T-PACKS), are similar to modern day Manned Maneuvering Units, they are only designed for deep space exploration (i.e. low gravity environments). If 343i includes them in Halo 4 multiplayer, it would break the established canon. I’d rather have jetpacks come back. Although, armor abilities were a horrible inclusion. There is a reason all tournaments use Sprint. There are already millions of players that loved the original Halo games. Bungie tried to add millions more (from Call of Duty I assume) but they actually lost a lot of hardcore Halo players. It seems the majority of players don’t want armor abilities, bloom, Arena-style ranking, etc. If 343i goes against the majority it will be a huge mistake.

I say make it a double jump, or just make you jump higher.

> I say make it a double jump, or just make you jump higher.

Did you not read my last post? The thruster pack doesn’t have enough thrust to give the Chief and his one ton armor to even help him jump higher. And just in case you don’t feel like reading my post cause it’s too long, here’s the short version: Thruster packs are build for zero-G use ONLY, the are not built for use in standard Earth gravity.

What I think people are trying to get at is JUMPacks, rather than thrusters. Basically what the jet brutes use in Halo 3, but slightly less ridiculous.

> > I say make it a double jump, or just make you jump higher.
>
> Did you not read my last post? The thruster pack doesn’t have enough thrust to give the Chief and his one ton armor to even help him jump higher. And just in case you don’t feel like reading my post cause it’s too long, here’s the short version: Thruster packs are build for zero-G use ONLY, the are not built for use in standard Earth gravity.

Seriously dude, don’t be a -Yoink-. I wasn’t responding to you, I was responding to the OP. And did you not read the title of this thread? “Jetpacks out, Thrusters/Weaker Jetpacks in” If I am not mistaken, what I described was a weaker jetpack.

i think that thrusters would be something of a Glide.
Like, move a foot in the air and go foward faster.
Then, if there was a somewhat long gap that couldnt be made by a jump, you could thrust across it.

honestly, though, i just wish there was nothing like this at all.