Jetpack NOT WHAT IT SEEMS?

Many have seen the 2 seconds of gameplay involving the Jetpack. Many have flipped out and thought, “exactly the same as reach oh noZZ!!” Just back up a little bit.

It may have looked like Reach Jetpack, but perhaps it doesn’t function like it.

A more balanced Jetpack:

1. The meter for this AA should burn out very quickly, but shoot you up to the sky as quickly as well.

2. No hover physics: Like Reach, you could troll your enemies by hovering in the sky for a significant amount of time. Notice how the Brute jetpackers and elite jetpackers never hovered. They either went up or down, and it didn’t last as long as Reach mm. It was quick bursts and/or probably full bursts.

3. It should only work in a linear fashion, like you saw in the 2 second gameplay. You jump where you want to head. That’s where #1 comes in; the meter burns quickly forcing to be careful and where you want to head. A full burst from your AA will lift you up high, but risk suicide if there isn’t any where to land. Assuming fall damage returns…

4. It said to be a thruster pack anyways, so it shouldn’t have the op effects of a Jetpack. Yes, I understand that it will never be balanced, but it can be improved…

I don’t understand how jetpack was that bad in the first place.

I know you can’t link to it, but I haven’t seen this video and I try to follow the halo news pretty closely… Source?

Yeah, it’s funny watching people jump to conclusions that the new “jetpack” will work like Reach’s.

> I don’t understand how jetpack was that bad in the first place.

It breaks the map, and since it isn’t gone, the best we can do is balance it a little more. Make it have more cons. Why have a map with stairs and man cannons etc if you’re going to have floating Spartans that don’t have to go around objects. They get it so easy. Yes you can shoot them out of the sky, but I doubt the people saying that have played against teams of good Jetpackers that know how to abuse it

Jetpack in Reach is just fine and doesn’t need any changes. I don’t get where people are getting all this crap that it’s OP or unbalanced, some tweaks might be nice, like I’d like a quicker take-off definitely…I don’t think you’d be able to really take out hovering though, otherwise it doesn’t really work that well, and Jetpacks we saw in campaign could hover, remember the Elite Rangers in Halo 2, when you’re taking that ferry/elevator across the lake to reach Regret? It’s just the Brutes in H3 that have jump-packs (they don’t even look like the same thing as the Rangers had in H2) and the Elites in Reach (which also don’t look like what the Rangers in H2 had).

Anyways, Jetpack is completely balanced and there’s nothing at all wrong with it as is. As long they don’t completely neuter it and make it practically useless (like removing AL’s ability to withstand Stickies, I completely hate that, it’s undermining the whole purpose of that AA, but that’s a rant for another thread/time), I’m open to changes, and I’m perfectly willing to give almost any change at least one try.

If you look around on those links at the bottom of the Halo 4 main page, you’ll see a page that shows “jetpack” is now called “booster pack”, and that it looks to function like evade without the rolling.

There’s a bunch of other stuff there too, so you may want to check it out.

I don’t know what if there is a JetPack & a ThrusterPack, but so far, I’ve only seen 1. In the newly released Spartan Ops trailer, in one of the parts, you can see that all 4 Spartans are making their way uphill while you see the one in the far back with the Energy Sword, 1 is jetpacking forward, 1 has the Shield up, and the other one dashes forward.

In my opinion, I think the Thruster pack *is* the Jetpack, however with tweaks. This is what I thought up with:

When on ground, you can dash towards any frontal position (left, right, forward, backwards), but you can hover while in air.

For example: If I have the Thruster pack equipped, and I am walking on the ground, I can use the Thrusters to quickly evade to another direction (like the Evade AA), but only at a short distance. BUT, if I were to Jump and activate the Thrusters, instead of flying upwards, I am only hovering in the air for a certain amount of time.

Again, this is just my opinion. I honestly don’t know if there are 2 packs or just 1, but who knows, right?

> If you look around on those links at the bottom of the Halo 4 main page, you’ll see a page that shows “jetpack” is now called “booster pack”, and that it looks to function like evade without the rolling.
>
> There’s a bunch of other stuff there too, so you may want to check it out.

I saw thruster pack, and it’s pretty cool. Not a jet pack at all, but there is one footage where someone uses jetpack in Spartan Ops. Maybe Jetpack is exclusive to Campaign and Spartan Ops, idk. I doubt it; they still haven’t spilled any beans on the returning camouflage AA.

check out the new Halo 4 information on the site it looks like its just a burst and nothing like the jet pack

> Anyways, Jetpack is completely balanced and there’s nothing at all wrong with it as is.

Sounds like someone never played high-level Arena.

At about 1:25 in this he uses the Jet Pack as if it were a new version of evade.

it’s called the Thruster Pack, and it’s a combination of Jet Pack and Evade.

99% sure of that.

> I don’t understand how jetpack was that bad in the first place.

This^^^^

Seems like a thrust/boost pack to me.

I like it! I can see it not only to propel up but, to move in different directions at a very quick jolt.

> > Anyways, Jetpack is completely balanced and there’s nothing at all wrong with it as is.
>
> Sounds like someone never played high-level Arena.

I don’t have to, everything plays the same in pretty much every gametype. Jetpack plays and behaves the same way in Arena as it does in Slayer, or Invasion, or Big Team Battle. And honestly, I don’t really care about Arena, I’ve never cared about rank or level, it’s just a pointless number/percentile/set of words by my name that really has no meaning. I care more about the game being enjoyable to me.

And your standards, or MLG’s, or those of the “competitive” community at large, are not the golden rule of what makes Halo best or most competitive, they’re all merely another way to play the game, they’re not any better or worse than default settings in and of themselves. They might not fit your standards, but as I said, you standards, or anyone elses’, are not some golden absolute that everyone must follow or the game is a broken, unbalanced, nooby mess. I’ll say it again, there is nothing wrong with Jetpack and it’s completely fine as is, I don’t care if it’s tweaked or nto though as long as it remains useful and isn’t neutered so much it’s no longer a Jetpack (like all these “jumppack” proposals I’ve seen).

> it’s called the Thruster Pack, and it’s a combination of Jet Pack and Evade.
>
> 99% sure of that.

I agree with this, the “jetpack” is more of a jumppack, or even “lounge pack” (think energy sword), it allows you to move a few meters in a specific direction very fast, any direction (beseides down?) but that’s it. No hoovering, no “long flight times”, just a quick burst of speed and/or height.