Jetpack and Active Camo in Halo 4

A lot of people are worried about the inclusion of these to armor abilities (yes, they have been confirmed) believing that they will not be balanced. In this thread we will all attempt to make the two both balanced and more useful.

Here’s my go at it:

Jetpack- Works like Sprint did in Reach, it recharges all at once instead of over time, as well as slightly less horizontal movement and slightly less usage time.

Active Camo- Less Camo time(I’m thinking like Halo 2’s Arbiter Camo) with a faster depletion if you AREN’T moving, to discourage camping(IMO Camo should be used to infiltrate behind enemy lines and not camp in the back of the map with a sniper), but no visual movement penalty or radar jammer. Instead, the user blinks on radar.

Your iteration of Jetpack will still allow for players to hover outside maps, exploit Rockets/Grenades, and ruin any semblance of map flow.

Camo should just be a powerup. I hate to see it neutered because Bungie decided against powerups.

> Your iteration of Jetpack will still allow for players to hover outside maps, exploit Rockets/Grenades, and ruin any semblance of map flow.
>
> Camo should just be a powerup. I hate to see it neutered because Bungie decided against powerups.

Hovering outside the map is very difficult(honestly I’ve tried), but honestly It’s not possible to fix the map flow unless maps are designed around Jetpack’s existence. It is still fair(IMO) to say that the Jetpack is like painting a target on your head as a balancing factor.

I think camo is pretty balanced now thanks to promethean vision. Either way, it should definitely be included, at least in the forge palette. Gameplay aside, it has many uses in minigames and machinima.

> > Your iteration of Jetpack will still allow for players to hover outside maps, exploit Rockets/Grenades, and ruin any semblance of map flow.
> >
> > Camo should just be a powerup. I hate to see it neutered because Bungie decided against powerups.
>
> Hovering outside the map is very difficult(honestly I’ve tried), but honestly It’s not possible to fix the map flow unless maps are designed around Jetpack’s existence. It is still fair(IMO) to say that the Jetpack is like painting a target on your head as a balancing factor.

Not until it is a quick vertical leap that is single use will Jetpack ever be balanced.

Active camo is already pretty useless in anyone’s hands (except if you have a sniper)
Jetpackers usually just destroy themselves by thinking “I can see you but you can’t see me”

Having JETPACK & CAMO as SPAWNABLE AA’S is a Terrible idea and should only be in Campaign and spartan ops / custom games
Not in MM
they do much more bad then good

How about this:

Give active camo moderate duration and disable weapon usage, or perhaps restrict it to melee weapons only. This could still work effectively, say for infiltrating an enemy base undetected on objective games… and to discourage camping, perhaps make it give off some noise to let anyone in close proximity know someone is using it (if Promethean Vision isn’t already a good enough discouragement XD).

This is basically how active camo works in Battlefield 2142 (the futuristic one), which is where I got the idea from. You can’t fire any weapons while it’s in use, and it gives off noise to let enemies nearby know you’re using it, just for balance sake.

I think in this way, camo as an AA could work well in Halo.

My issue with camo is the fact that having it as a spawn ability means it’s incredibly unlikely it will be on maps as a pick up. It’d have to be incredibly nerfed to be balanced as a spawn ability, and then if the camo pick up works the same, it’ll be nerfed like hell too.

Jet pack just isn’t good for map flow. Thrusters seemed like a perfect compromise between jet pack and evade. Perhaps just allow thrusters to give you a vertical boost if you use them whilst jumping.

I’d be fine with these for forge and custom games, but i’d rather they weren’t in matchmaking at all.

First off, the Active Camo was crap in Halo: Reach so it won’t be a problem in Halo 4. As for the Jet pack, with Sprint being a default ability the players who use the Jet pack won’t get as fast to places as Sprint will.

Where is your confirmed proof that jetpack is returning? Only 2 AA’s I’ve heard that will be returning is active camo and hologram.

Are you confusing jetpack with thruster pack? Two totally different things dude…

> Where is your confirmed proof that jetpack is returning? Only 2 AA’s I’ve heard that will be returning is active camo and hologram.
>
> Are you confusing jetpack with thruster pack? Two totally different things dude…

Derp.

> I think camo is pretty balanced now thanks to promethean vision.

I’ve heard that camo and hologram can trick Promethean vision

How about this?

Make Camo a power-up for ordinance, it would fit just as well as the speed boost and OS…

As for Jetpack, just no, get out of MM…

> How about this?
>
> Make Camo a power-up for ordinance, it would fit just as well as the speed boost and OS…
>
> As for Jetpack, just no, get out of MM…

This.

Active camo breaks every map so badly. It should be part of the ordnance drops.

As for jet pack, just scrap it from MM completely.

> Having JETPACK & CAMO as SPAWNABLE AA’S is a Terrible idea and should only be in Campaign and spartan ops / custom games
> Not in MM
> they do much more bad then good

I came here to say this, looks like I’m not the only sane person in the world.

EDIT: After looking at the rest of the thread it looks like I’ve found every sane person on the forum! I knew this day would come…

I don’t want Jetpack in competitive MM. Invisibility should be an Ordnance drop and fully cloak you as invisible even when moving, I’m ok with the radar scrambling aspect.

Jetpack - A second jump that does not necessarily double the height of single jump, it could be about a half jump worth of height gained. OR the Jetpack is like the one in Reach with much less duration but a much quicker thrust/lift-off (It doesn’t take as much time to get up to speed.)that brings you to about the same height that the double jump would. Or perhaps a longer lift-off time would balance it even better, it would take a second or two to get off the ground but then you would move fast for about a second or two until you get to that height.

Camo - Perfect Camo like in Halo 3 and below, no movement penalty or radar jammer. However this only lasts for about 4-6 seconds, and should be used to move through areas with enemies to get from cover to cover quickly and unseen, but not as a prolonged form of stealth. It would also have a slightly quicker recharge than in Reach. Perhaps it could also give off a slight “pulsating” noise that can be heard only when you are very close to the camo user. This makes the camo useful, because you can actually stay hidden without having to stay pretty much still, but it doesn’t last nearly as long, it’s short bursts of stealth.

I think both of these, or at least the camo, would be fairly balanced with the other AAs. Jetpack is really a hard thing to balance, so I think making it have a short burst of usage time gets rid of half the problem - being able to fly around and shoot at others who are unable to find cover that would protect them from above. However the problem of ‘breaking map flow/control’ would still be present. I think, using Sword Base as an example, that the jetpack as I have described would not be able to bring you up to the very upper levels, it would only boost you enough to get you from say, the very ground floor to about the height of the bottom of the green lift.

Jetpack- I’d rather see it be limited to campaign, SOps, and customs because it destroys map flow and was abused in so many ways it’s not funny. But if it does come back to MM, it need to be limited to being a jump pack (dbl jump). That way map flow isnt crushed and people won’t exploit the hell out of it.

Active Camo- Shorten the duration and increase the recharge time when compaired to Reach. Have it working when moving and have it deplete faster when still. As for radar, no jammer but have the Camo user ghost across it.