Jackal Snipers...

A little while back, before launch, I created a jackal sniper confirmation thread and am now curious how well people who played Legendary fared against them.

Even when it came to Spartan Op’s, the jackal snipers seemed to be heavily toned down from the power and fear factor they used to have. It’s almost like they attempted to mingle with the common foot soldiers during one segment, but then two more would shoot AT you from off the beaten path (for the record, they would miss, a lot).

I personally liked the notion of a challenge when they were confirmed back in and while I like what they did to help newer players to Halo, I still feel they could have been a greater challenge. Killing them felt so meaningless as compared to Halo 2 and Halo 3. Even on legendary, they didn’t seem too menacing. All too often, my hairs stood up on end when I “heard” the beam rifle shot pass by my ears, but then I looked up/around, found them, and killed them immediately. This I think is acceptable if off the beaten path, but a sniper is a long distance, dead-eye killer, and I would like to see that again.

My personal recommendation for the future is:

Heroic - jackal snipers are like they are now on Legendary. They will miss if off the beaten path for the first shot, but after, will be dead-eye killers.

Legendary - They are automatically dead-eye killers and will hit when aware of your presence.

Thoughts?

halo 2 jack snipers? need i say more? lollol

The jackal sniper fears were replaced with crawler sniper fears. If you weren’t paying attention to the crawlers and missed the one with the Halo on its face, you got the binary to your dome.

> halo 2 jack snipers? need i say more? lollol

Halo 2 jackal snipers were exceptional and challenging, true, but I fear they would be more detrimental to the player base who doesn’t want to endure that. The idea and notion of a sniper is that they need to be deployed to key strategical places to truly be the maximum efficiency they are capable of.

I feel Halo 2 actually failed in certain regards to accomplish this. Halo 4’s movements, on the other hand, had some situations where players found them exceptionally well placed and if they didn’t miss? They would destroy players continuously, no question.

The proposed solution for this is to follow what Halo 4 has started, and make them the cold, dead-eye killers they were in that regard, but ONLY on Legendary. Truly give players the notion they are facing “smarter” A.I.'s.

> The jackal sniper fears were replaced with crawler sniper fears. If you weren’t paying attention to the crawlers and missed the one with the Halo on its face, you got the binary to your dome.

To be honest, I never died to crawler snipers in campaign. Part of this was because the charge up of the Halo ring was an immediate tell sign and I either shot them… or I was behind cover immediately. Granted this was my experience and binary Promethean knights still killed me time and again on Legendary, but crawler snipers? They weren’t as stealthy as I thought they could be. I like the notion of them on tree’s and whatnot, but… that just isn’t enough. I sincerely hope they make that particular element harder in future Halo games.

> The jackal sniper fears were replaced with crawler sniper fears. If you weren’t paying attention to the crawlers and missed the one with the Halo on its face, you got the binary to your dome.

This.

My friends and I have started refering to them as “Binary Dogs”. We feared them more than even knights when we did campaign on legendary, and even now on spartan ops.

Them damn binary dogs and them 1 shotting us!

I like that there is a chance of killing them in this instalment as opposed to the peek your head out for 1 second to get headshotted lol. Those were the days. I don’t find them to miss a lot, but I do see them score head shots a lot less often, thankfully.

I think they reached a good balance with the Jackal Snipers. Probably the best in the series.

Actually when playing Legendary solo, I usually killed majority of them before they even locked on to me. From Playing Spartan OPs on Heroic, they are a pain in the -Yoink- if you don’t know where they are.

I’m kinda disappointed that they didn’t one-shot you in campaign. I was hoping for a challenge of hide-and-seek like in Halo 2 and 3. They’re not even that accurate either. Now the only fear is Crawler and Knight snipers, which are few and far between. The Knight snipers being more scary since they sometimes shoot without warning. I’ve had times where I’ve been sniped at medium to close range without seeing a red ring around their face.