I've got it! How we balance Active Camo!

So in previous Halo games, Bungie have gone:

“We need a way to have less powerful versions of Active Camo for availability and balance so that Invis isnt overpowered… how do we do this?”

So they were like:

“Hey, lets make it so that when you move, you become more opaque and your player model starts to show! That way people will think twice about zooming around and jumpin’ over kids when they’re supposed to be stealthy.”

Little must they’ve realised that this would make moving at all render camo COMPLETELY useless. No offence, i love Bungie, but i honestly do not know what else they could’ve thought when they came up with this.

I propose 343i take a thought outside the septagon. Why would camo falter so horribly due to ordinary movement? No, i think this:

Make the camo blur when you move.

Its a concept that should explain itself. When a guy is invisible, you see a ‘blur’ in the shape of the character. Its sorta like when you see a glass sculpture, its supposed to be see through, but you can see that its there. If something moves, it blurs a bit. Make the technology imperfect but not incompetent. Make the camo technology not fully able to keep up with changes and especially the faster more radical changes. Hell, if it would work, make the Active camo lag its display a bit. Just a tiny bit to explain the fact that it still needs to process the images and display them.

These combined effects make it so that if you are still, the enemy will scour the environment and rarely see you unless they know where to look. A blurry ever-so-slightly out of time movement will alert the attentive that something’s wrong. Whatever this sounds like to you, i think something along these lines would make camo almost perfect.

What do you think?

Active Camo wasn’t overpowered to begin with, just make it a map pickup again.

> Active Camo wasn’t overpowered to begin with, just make it a map pickup again.

This.

It wasn’t overpowered, but obviously it’s going to seem it when you essentially take away someone’s sense of sight?! I mean c’mon, that’s just a no brainer.

~ Duck.

i actually like this idea it reminds me of predator =]

I mean, what they did in halo reach made stealth elites much easier to kill…not to add that their shields were already weak

Active Camo isn’t overpowered, even if you remove the flickering.
Noob lock is the problem.

> Active Camo wasn’t overpowered to begin with, just make it a map pickup again.

Power-ups ftw! I agree, they really should just bring back camo and overshield as a power-up like old times.

And through out the game’s history, Active Camo’s biggest weakness was glass, if a cloaked person is standing in front of a glass panel, you can kind of see that person. And right now in Reach, when you move with active camo going, it dims and you be come easier to see. Active camo needs to be reset to the way it was before Reach, and be put as a pick up again.

When Active Camouflage is activated it should deplete your shields until the charge depletes. Movement of the user should not effect the invisibility of the user, unless it is in the aspect you described.

Oh another thing to mention. Reach was before CE, so I think we received the more flawed version of what it was in the trilogy.

There wasn’t anything wrong with Camo in Halo 3. Anyone with a decent amount of perception could see a person running with it, especially if they watched their radar. If anything just make it so when you shoot and come out of stealth, you stay out of stealth for a little bit longer period of time before re-stealthing.

IMO:

1. Reach is a start but it is too restricting for the ability.
  2. If players could become more visible only after 4-5 steps of full speed movement, it could allow for more more movement and less camping.
  3. If players became permanently visible on the radar while Active is active, but remained “physically” invisible due to crouch/slow walking, it would still allow an indicator of a player nearby, but it wouldn’t be so tell-tale on just what kind of enemy it is.
    Enemies attempting to sneak into bases won’t be seen from the outside, but anyone in the base will know someone IS coming in. To me this allows free movement of the field when cloaked but doesn’t allow free movement of bases because radar is useless from over 25m away, while in a base, grenades are extremely useful within 25m of play.

> Oh another thing to mention. Reach was before CE, so I think we received the more flawed version of what it was in the trilogy.

This might be why the camo was the way it was in Reach. The camo should go back more towards Halo 2/3

Great idea, thos was a well written post and I liked it a lot. That way, the only way that people could REALLY use active camp effectively is if your in the dark! This even increases the amount that you need to be stealthy and I’m sure will work! You are a smart person!

Maybe, MAYBE underpowered your shields a little bit too because of the energy used in the camp software a,

:slight_smile: good ideas im seeing

> > Active Camo wasn’t overpowered to begin with, just make it a map pickup again.
>
> Power-ups ftw! I agree, they really should just bring back camo and overshield as a power-up like old times.

Agree. They made people move around the map. If you stood by and watched someone from the other team pick up OS it was practically a death sentence.

> > > Active Camo wasn’t overpowered to begin with, just make it a map pickup again.
> >
> > Power-ups ftw! I agree, they really should just bring back camo and overshield as a power-up like old times.
>
> Agree. They made people move around the map. If you stood by and watched someone from the other team pick up OS it was practically a death sentence.

yep…that was stated in a good way…wait till the guy has a power drainer…

How to balance active camo - 30 second effect from a blue orb pickup, movement does not reduce the effect, only shooting reveal’s the player, radar is not affected with the radar jammer effect a la reach, still show’s up clearly on radar unless sneaking.

I can has cookie? :slight_smile:

yes…if you could find it…i by mistake left the camo ability on it…it certanly looks delicious to me…wait, i cant see it…lol