ITT: I try to predict Halo 5/XBO's plot

*ITT = In This Thread

Thought I’d give this a little try. Using some of the cool theories and information from the Halo media, I’m going to give it my best attempt to predict the plot of the next major Halo game. I’ll likely be off the mark in the end, but it’ll be a fun experiment and see how people will react.

I believe the game will be set sometime in late 2558 or 2559, mostly due to the events detailed in the short story, The Return, from Halo Evolutions. In it, a Sangheili shipmaster returned to a human world he glassed long ago to reflect. Since the story in Halo 5/XBO is supposed to be the darkest of them all, the lack of “darkness” circa 2559 is a top off. The Return also hints at a harsher relationship between the UNSC and Arbiter, after all the shipmaster finds a wounded human on the world after a firefight with Jackal pirates and plans to get information about the Forerunner discoveries found on the world out of the human by any means necessary.

To me, that implies torture, not something allies tend to do to each other. There is going to be a new Halo comic released later on called Halo Escalation as well. In it, the Arbiter plans to meet with the Brutes to form a peace treaty and the UNSC Infinity is set out to defend the negotiations. Considering the Elites and Brutes fight in a bloody and costly war up to the events of The Return, I think the talks will break down and violence will erupt. In the chaos, I think some of humanities more nefarious plans will be revealed, perhaps making the Arbiter weary of his alliance with the UNSC. So in a way, tension is going to escalate.

Now the since reported to be not as accurate description of the next Halo mentions how sentient life is being hunted down. While inaccurate according to Frank O’Conner, I think a nugget of truth might be in there and back up the Escalation name of Halo: Escalation. The San Shyuum mysteriously vanished in The Return, perhaps a small hint at some unknown threat lurking in the horizon. We also saw in Spartan Assault that certain bands of Covenant, not just Jul’s, are looking for Forerunner technology. The Office of Naval Intelligence is also doing it’s best to hoard what it can. I have a feeling this unknown threat will play into an arms race for Forerunner technology by multiple factions, thus allowing for the reintroduction of Brutes, Drones and the rest of the Covenant.

This arms race will further along the main story too with the UNSC Infinity continuing it’s mission to find the remaining Halo rings and Jul 'Mdama and Dr. Halsey because of their half of the Janus Key introduced in Spartan Ops. The Janus Key, as you’ll recall, has the real-time location of all Forerunner technology and thus presents a huge advantage. Due to it’s significance to the Halo story, I believe one of the first stopping grounds will be Installation 07. The ring is last remaining of the original 12 Halo rings and was used to house a population of ancient humans. With those ruins likely still around and the possibility of a few function Monitors of humans and Forerunners turned by the Composer on the ring, this place may provide insight on humanities past the Librarian introduced back in Halo 4.

From there, I believe the UNSC Rubicon will enter the scene. Why this ship? Because of it’s new occupant, 343 Guilty Spark. Turns out he is far more resilient than we thought and survived, though now with access to his full memories. In Halo: Primordium, he stated that he was going to search for the Lifeshaper, the same rank the Librarian officially had. With her dead and Spark’s tendency to confuse people, like with Master Chief and the Iso-Didact, there is one prime candidate in the galaxy he could mistake for her: Dr. Halsey.

With this knowledge and a common goal, the next point for our crew may be towards the Charum Hakkor system. We know the UNSC has found the system as the War Games map known as Monolith is set near the planet Sothra Hakkor, a world in that system. Obviously, the ruined world of Charrum Hakkor would be the mist logical step due to it’s relevancy to ancient humanity and the Precursors. It would make the most sense for this to be where we learn more about the Precursors as well. There is a theory that relates to this, remember that weird crystal in the building on the map Impact? Some believe it to be the remnants of a Precursor starroad, a massive construct with unfathomable power shattered by the Halos due to the map description saying it predates the Forerunners. It is possible that over time the Precursor technology destroyed by the Halos could rebuild itself and finally come alive once more. This would coincide with the return of the Flood prophesied by the Primordial in Halo: Primordium at a time when humans were arrogant and prideful, a lot like humanity in Halo 4.

A bit of an aside, but ONI will likely have a more direct role this time around. Evidence suggest that they have been trying to increase their power and influence, one example being the secret construction of the UNSC Infinity for 20 years before it became to big to conceal in the budget. The newly introduced Prefect armor could also be taken as an example of ONI developing better armor for the Spartan-IVs, maybe going so far as to build a private army. Along with the order to execute Dr. Halsey, I think this may cause Chief to rebel or defect. With Cortana still being on his mind and Halsey likely being the only one who could revive her, in his mind anyway, I don’t think could continue on the UNSC’s path anymore.

Through some means, maybe with Jul’s remnant or with Guilty Spark’s aid, this is where the Ark theory comes into play. This theory contends that the place Chief was at in the Halo 5 teaser was the Ark. Due to my limiting characters, you can find the in-depth theory, here.

In brief, the old Forerunner AI known as Mendicant Bias, buried on the Ark, would be the Absolute Record mentioned by the Librarian in Spartan Ops. He would warn of the coming Flood and Precursor threat and use the Janus Key to combat it.

What happens yet, I’m not sure. To really cement this as the darkest Halo game, I have a feeling that the Infinity, Earth, maybe Sangelios, or all of those things will be destroyed by the end. Perhaps it sounds cliche, but I think it would drive the point home.

Really all I’ve got thus far, it’s a bit of a jumbled mess with a lot of concepts thrown around I know, but that’s the best I can put together right now. Needless to say, I forsee a lot of discoveries playing out and humanity being knocked down a peg.

Thanks for reading.

This is really good, and you bring up some good points. Keep up the good work man!

Its a good theory but where does the Ur Didact fit in all of this? There is no way he is gone and I believe he will play a huge role in the series.

> Its a good theory but where does the Ur Didact fit in all of this? There is no way he is gone and I believe he will play a huge role in the series.

Not sure. He could be leading the Flood/Precursor invasion, we do know he is literally insane.

> > Its a good theory but where does the Ur Didact fit in all of this? There is no way he is gone and I believe he will play a huge role in the series.
>
> Not sure. He could be leading the Flood/Precursor invasion, we do know he is literally insane.

Why would he be leading a precursor invasion when the precursors hated the forerunners. I do believe the Didact is done for good, that would be like people saying that the Prophet of Truth is still somehow alive, although it is a possibility that the Didact is still alive, although, I would lose a lot of respect for 343i for bringing back a dead character. The only exception I have for bringing back dead characters in Halo would be Johnson, I loved that guy.

> > > Its a good theory but where does the Ur Didact fit in all of this? There is no way he is gone and I believe he will play a huge role in the series.
> >
> > Not sure. He could be leading the Flood/Precursor invasion, we do know he is literally insane.
>
> Why would he be leading a precursor invasion when the precursors hated the forerunners. I do believe the Didact is done for good, that would be like people saying that the Prophet of Truth is still somehow alive, although it is a possibility that the Didact is still alive, although, I would lose a lot of respect for 343i for bringing back a dead character. The only exception I have for bringing back dead characters in Halo would be Johnson, I loved that guy.

I think 343i is alot smarter to not waist a character such as the Didact in one game! He barely got any screen time in Halo 4 and why introduce such an important character to just kill him off so fast. There is alot more to the Didact to come. My belief is he will finally come to his senses if the Flood/Precursors invasion really happens and helps us.

> Why would he be leading a precursor invasion when the precursors hated the forerunners. I do believe the Didact is done for good, that would be like people saying that the Prophet of Truth is still somehow alive, although it is a possibility that the Didact is still alive, although, I would lose a lot of respect for 343i for bringing back a dead character. The only exception I have for bringing back dead characters in Halo would be Johnson, I loved that guy.

He’s crazy and could just be a pawn, maybe they offered to help him purge humanity? He’s really the only loose end I have no idea what to do with.

Sounds good.
I hope that if 343 decide to continue with spops that they won’t stop the story dead after the campaign to clumsily continue spops after it. Episodes 1-4 of spops were just awful however eps 5-9 picked up again but sadly i did not enjoy episode 10 either.

343 need to plan ahead: whats the story of halo 5 and halo 6, how can they be linked?

not: right, halo 5 is finished, how shall we carry on?

I think the Didact will definitely return in some way.
It would really make no sense to introduce such a great antagonist and then kill him off so fast like ODST ZERO stated.
I believe he will not even be killed at all in the games, except he intends to die through something like a sacrifice.
But I am kind of sure he will vanish from this world when humanity proofed him that it is worth it to attain the ‘Mantle’.

However, what interests me the most is how they are going to evolve John as a character.

Leaving the Diadact out of the plot as an antagonist, even if he’s not dead, could make sense. At the end of Halo 4, we hear him speaking to other Forerunners in the Present. They could keep him in custody for attacking humanity. Or reason with him to help us like he always should have done.
The opening cutscene could be similar to Halo 2’s. except it would be the Didact on trial with other Forerunners, perhaps the Iso Didact and Chant asking him questions.
This line of questioning could lead to the reveal that the Precursors/Flood are returning in a big way.

> Leaving the Diadact out of the plot as an antagonist, even if he’s not dead, could make sense. At the end of Halo 4, we hear him speaking to other Forerunners in the Present. They could keep him in custody for attacking humanity. Or reason with him to help us like he always should have done.
> The opening cutscene could be similar to Halo 2’s. except it would be the Didact on trial with other Forerunners, perhaps the Iso Didact and Chant asking him questions.
> This line of questioning could lead to the reveal that the Precursors/Flood are returning in a big way.

I think the Didact’s speech in Halo 4’s epilog was actually held in the past during the war between the Forerunners and the Flood and not in the present.
Of course this speech is refering to the present as well now because the past has kind of repeated itself and Didact’s opinion about humanity has not changed over the time.

I honestly think the Didact is gone for good. Bringing back presumed, dead, characters just doesn’t happen much in gaming. Almost all of Halo’s villains, didn’t have much screen time, and in Halo 2, 2 out of 3 of them were killed before the game ended, you didn’t see them come back. Halo 5 is going to have a new main villain, I can bet you on that. Although he may be still alive, as I cannot tell the future, I personally do believe he is gone for good. People always say this about dead character they like in video games, just like Ghost, I COD MW2. Everyone wanted him to come back, there were so many theories, people held on to the little strings of hope, and it never happened. Infinity Ward even kind of trolled gamers with the name of COD Ghosts, before the reveal trailer came, everyone was like Ghost Is Back! Of course, he is not.

> I honestly think the Didact is gone for good. Bringing back presumed, dead, characters just doesn’t happen much in gaming. Almost all of Halo’s villains, didn’t have much screen time, and in Halo 2, 2 out of 3 of them were killed before the game ended, you didn’t see them come back. Halo 5 is going to have a new main villain, I can bet you on that. Although he may be still alive, as I cannot tell the future, I personally do believe he is gone for good. People always say this about dead character they like in video games, just like Ghost, I COD MW2. Everyone wanted him to come back, there were so many theories, people held on to the little strings of hope, and it never happened. Infinity Ward even kind of trolled gamers with the name of COD Ghosts, before the reveal trailer came, everyone was like Ghost Is Back! Of course, he is not.

But how the Didact ‘dies’ in Halo 4 is just implausible.
I mean in his armor he is like a God and then a simple Pulse Grenade should kill him? Ok he falls into Slipspace but I think even that he could possibly survive.
That’s why I would say he is just vanished for a certain period of time. But completely gone? I doubt that.
What I am trying to say is that his ‘death’ is just really questionable.
Besides, the Didact has so much potential as a main character and it would be a waste to not bring him back in my opinion.

In addition, you really want to compare Didact’s death with Ghost’s death in CoD? That dude got shot and burned, there’s no logical hope that he survived. But no one actually knows what happened to the Didact after he vanished in Slipspace.

Very good thread and a lot of the stuff you said can happen, If 343 decides to take some ideas out of this thread.

But other then that very good thread. :slight_smile:

> > I honestly think the Didact is gone for good. Bringing back presumed, dead, characters just doesn’t happen much in gaming. Almost all of Halo’s villains, didn’t have much screen time, and in Halo 2, 2 out of 3 of them were killed before the game ended, you didn’t see them come back. Halo 5 is going to have a new main villain, I can bet you on that. Although he may be still alive, as I cannot tell the future, I personally do believe he is gone for good. People always say this about dead character they like in video games, just like Ghost, I COD MW2. Everyone wanted him to come back, there were so many theories, people held on to the little strings of hope, and it never happened. Infinity Ward even kind of trolled gamers with the name of COD Ghosts, before the reveal trailer came, everyone was like Ghost Is Back! Of course, he is not.
>
> But how the Didact ‘dies’ in Halo 4 is just implausible.
> I mean in his armor he is like a God and then a simple Pulse Grenade should kill him? Ok he falls into Slipspace but I think even that he could possibly survive.
> That’s why I would say he is just vanished for a certain period of time. But completely gone? I doubt that.
> What I am trying to say is that his death is just really questionable.
> Besides, the Didact has so much potential as a main character and it would be a waste to not bring him back in my opinion.
>
> In addition, you really want to compare Didact’s death with Ghost’s death in CoD? That dude got shot and burned, there’s no logical hope that he survived. But no one actually knows what happened to the Didact after he vanished in Slipspace.

Well you see, he is forever lost on the blackness of space, never to be found again, could have been ripped apart by the slipspace, as entering a slip space portal just as an entity, without the protection of his ship and such, is very dangerous. He was also injured from the grenade, so dying from blood loss is another factor, another thing to note is that his suit would have been penetrated, and there’s no oxygen in space, he would have passed out and died. The list goes on.

I compared the Didact to Ghost to prove how far people will go to think that someone didn’t die or “No that did not just happen” moment in a video game. Just like the indoctrination theory for ME3. Fans held onto everything they could, to believe that it just wasn’t the real ending to ME3, but of course as always, it just wasn’t so. And you must not have done your research, cause there are still a lot of theories and people still do think that Ghost is alive. Ghost is a perfect example, just go onto Youtube and type “Ghost still alive” or something of that sort. Ghosts death was huge back in the day.

Ah, I see you took my theory of the massive crystal on Impact into account, and did you notice that on Monolith, silver colored jagged asteroids will occasionally drift across the map? Those are obviously shattered remains of Orbital Arches.

Also, with Jul having such wide access to the systems of Requiem, it makes me assume that the Didact is whispering in his ear to continue his work in his absense. The Unbound Symbol rotating above a pedestal in the last Episode of SpOps after Jul presses it certainly backs that up.

> > Its a good theory but where does the Ur Didact fit in all of this? There is no way he is gone and I believe he will play a huge role in the series.
>
> Not sure. He could be leading the Flood/Precursor invasion, we do know he is literally insane.

The Mendicant Bias is probably leading the Flood/Precursors he was corrupted by the Primordial and could still be or recoruppted by a Gravemind. The Ur Didact may have been able to survive Slipspace if his combat skin was rated for it and if any forerunners had a combat skin rated for Slipspace the Didact would be one of them. In that case he may try to recover the Offensive Bias and turn it on Humanity and the Flood. The Librarian may actually be alive in the Halo 3 terminals she is trying to convince the Iso Didact into firing the Halos and he is trying to convince her to come back from earth. Eventually she tells him that she built a garden and calls it “Eden” and that convinces Iso Didact into firing the halos. Which at first seems to be very straight forward until you consider the phrase “built a garden”. I believe the Librarian built something to grow a garden in and that’s what the terminal means but why would she build something to grow a garden in when in the same terminal she mentions how fertile the earth is and how easy it is to grow things there. Unless she built something like a Dyson sphere to shield herself from the array which might explain why the Iso Didact relents into firing the halos without her.

> The Mendicant Bias is probably leading the Flood/Precursors he was corrupted by the Primordial and could still be or recoruppted by a Gravemind.

He could be, but evidence points to the opposite. He helped Chief in Halo 3 after all.

> The Ur Didact may have been able to survive Slipspace if his combat skin was rated for it and if any forerunners had a combat skin rated for Slipspace the Didact would be one of them. In that case he may try to recover the Offensive Bias and turn it on Humanity and the Flood.

Problem: Offensive Bias is aware of the Ur-Didact’s evil, why would he help him?

> The Librarian may actually be alive in the Halo 3 terminals she is trying to convince the Iso Didact into firing the Halos and he is trying to convince her to come back from earth. Eventually she tells him that she built a garden and calls it “Eden” and that convinces Iso Didact into firing the halos. Which at first seems to be very straight forward until you consider the phrase “built a garden”. I believe the Librarian built something to grow a garden in and that’s what the terminal means but why would she build something to grow a garden in when in the same terminal she mentions how fertile the earth is and how easy it is to grow things there. Unless she built something like a Dyson sphere to shield herself from the array which might explain why the Iso Didact relents into firing the halos without her.

She died in Silentium.

> > The Mendicant Bias is probably leading the Flood/Precursors he was corrupted by the Primordial and could still be or recoruppted by a Gravemind.
>
> He could be, but evidence points to the opposite. He helped Chief in Halo 3 after all.
>
>
>
> > The Ur Didact may have been able to survive Slipspace if his combat skin was rated for it and if any forerunners had a combat skin rated for Slipspace the Didact would be one of them. In that case he may try to recover the Offensive Bias and turn it on Humanity and the Flood.
>
> Problem: Offensive Bias is aware of the Ur-Didact’s evil, why would he help him?
>
>
>
> > The Librarian may actually be alive in the Halo 3 terminals she is trying to convince the Iso Didact into firing the Halos and he is trying to convince her to come back from earth. Eventually she tells him that she built a garden and calls it “Eden” and that convinces Iso Didact into firing the halos. Which at first seems to be very straight forward until you consider the phrase “built a garden”. I believe the Librarian built something to grow a garden in and that’s what the terminal means but why would she build something to grow a garden in when in the same terminal she mentions how fertile the earth is and how easy it is to grow things there. Unless she built something like a Dyson sphere to shield herself from the array which might explain why the Iso Didact relents into firing the halos without her.
>
> She died in Silentium.

There is a new Librarian. That may be what Guilty Spark was referring to at the end of Primordium.

> There is a new Librarian. That may be what Guilty Spark was referring to at the end of Primordium.

Well, no, Chant-To-Green has assumed the role of Lifeshaper. If I recall, that is hat Spark says at the end of Primordium.