It's time to drop the weight system for matchmaking

The way it works currently (and has worked since at least the PC release) is that 343 handpicks a few maps and modes and gives them a “weight”, supposedly this is to ensure that matchmaking is “fair” and “maps that didn’t get much love” back in the day gets more attention now.

This just makes matchmaking incredibly dull because you’re very likely to get the same map and mode several times in a session (more often than not even in a row). At some point I got Sandtrap CTF 7 times in a row on the same lobby. By the time we got to the 7th round everyone just left the lobby.

Just getting rid of the whole composer and “weight” thing and just letting good old RNG handle map/mode selection would be a massive IMPROVEMENT for Social matchmaking. It would actually keep people playing instead of quitting because they’ve played on the same map for the entire day.
Plus it would let 343 focus more on Infinite since clearly they need to fix that mess too.

6 Likes

The “composer” is the idea of being able to select titles and playlists. This is an awesome feature (currently wished it was in Infinite), but I do agree with you that weights should disappear. Might as well make everything have an equal chance of appearing so that, like you say, you don’t say the same maps and gametypes over and over again.

1 Like

I rarely get the same maps over and over. But I have a pretty wide variety of things selected most of the time. I love the composer because it lets me play objective games with other people who actually want to play objectives, and I don’t have to bother with slayer all the time, or Halos I don’t want to play as much. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best matchmaking experience I’ve ever had in Halo in terms of getting games I want to play.

There’s a reason those maps back in the day didn’t get much attention, because they are TERRIBLE for matchmaking.

1 Like

No thanks. Not interested in playing the same Valhalla map 24/7 just because some people are obsessed with Halo 3.

1 Like

Right… Which was kind of my point…

1 Like

Did you read the post?..

1 Like