It's a shame how there's no blood at all anymore

As we get older, Halo oddly in a way gets younger with a lower and lower age rating.
Each Halo after the 1st one has had a reduction of blood visible in the game with Infinite now seeming to have basically 0% judging from the MP footage, i know Halo 5 had basically none at all only having a lil’ cloud of blood splatter spurt out but not having it create a blood decal in the environment however even that tiny bit seems to be gone now in Infinite.

I’m hoping that at least maybe in SP we’ll still see Blue,purple,orange and all the other colours of the rainbow being splattered on the ground and walls to some small degree at least when we kill covenant enemies.

I’ve noticed there is blood sparying out of Enemies but the blood decals don’t appear on the environment… I miss blood in halo tbh… hopefully campaign will be more mature.

There’s three things at play here:

• Ratings criteria have changed over the years and blood/gore (even as a ‘default off’ option) unfortunately usually immediately jumps it up at least one rating. - More parents seem to take an active role in checking these things compared to previously, hence from a business perspective if you want your game to be available to the large audience between an 18 and 15 or a 15 and 12 or a 12 and 8 rating… it’s in your interest to do so. - The more you leave objects lying around in game the more you’re going to affect performance. It might be ‘cool’ to have, but if it’s going to cause more bugs and crashes and performance issues, it’s easier not to have And also, of course, being on PC… it’s likely something the community will eventually mod in anyway for those who care enough…

I really hope they can work a way to have it in there. As a shooter, I feel like blood legitimately worked as a nice visual feedback system. With the way rating systems have changed, I’m sure you could add an amount of blood decals to an environment and keep it rated T. It’s not like we’re decapitating or anything. Big difference between “blood” and “gore.”

Spraying the walls with glowing neon alien blood is more important to me than blood in multiplayer. If it can be on in campaign and off in multiplayer I’d be fine with that.

Back when Halo 2 over XBL was in its prime and I was much younger, Halo was one of the only online games my parents would allow because of its artstyle, and the fact that it wasn’t as “violent” as games like call of duty or grand theft auto. They basically looked at it the same way as comparing Star Wars to Rambo or any other war film.

Makes me think of the first level you run into the flood in Combat Evolved. Basically just going through hallways filled with corpses in puddles of blood. Man those were the days haha.

I can live with or without blood and gore, so long as the game is good, that’s all that matters.
Also this is still a very early build, it’s totally possible that they will add blood at a later date when they have everything set up!

> 2533274874872263;3:
> There’s three things at play here:
>
>
> - Ratings criteria have changed over the years and blood/gore (even as a ‘default off’ option) unfortunately usually immediately jumps it up at least one rating. - More parents seem to take an active role in checking these things compared to previously, hence from a business perspective if you want your game to be available to the large audience between an 18 and 15 or a 15 and 12 or a 12 and 8 rating… it’s in your interest to do so. - The more you leave objects lying around in game the more you’re going to affect performance. It might be ‘cool’ to have, but if it’s going to cause more bugs and crashes and performance issues, it’s easier not to haveAnd also, of course, being on PC… it’s likely something the community will eventually mod in anyway for those who care enough…

I agree with these reasons for there being less blood, but it still makes me feel like the game is missing an important part of the visuals. Also, the MP being free-to-play probably affects the decisions behind gore a lot – larger core audience like you said. BUT Halo 5 felt odd with such minimal amounts of blood and gore, I hope Infinite doesn’t feel quite as “sterile”.

Honestly, had someone not mentioned it I would not have even noticed it was gone.

CE and 2 are the only multiplayer games where I can say I even remember blood showing up in a substantial way.

> 2533274881485954;9:
> > 2533274874872263;3:
> > There’s three things at play here:
> >
> >
> > - Ratings criteria have changed over the years and blood/gore (even as a ‘default off’ option) unfortunately usually immediately jumps it up at least one rating. - More parents seem to take an active role in checking these things compared to previously, hence from a business perspective if you want your game to be available to the large audience between an 18 and 15 or a 15 and 12 or a 12 and 8 rating… it’s in your interest to do so. - The more you leave objects lying around in game the more you’re going to affect performance. It might be ‘cool’ to have, but if it’s going to cause more bugs and crashes and performance issues, it’s easier not to haveAnd also, of course, being on PC… it’s likely something the community will eventually mod in anyway for those who care enough…
>
> I agree with these reasons for there being less blood, but it still makes me feel like the game is missing an important part of the visuals. Also, the MP being free-to-play probably affects the decisions behind gore a lot – larger core audience like you said. BUT Halo 5 felt odd with such minimal amounts of blood and gore, I hope Infinite doesn’t feel quite as “sterile”.

That was the Doylist… now for the Watsonian

With MP though we know Mjolnir has biofoam injection within it: hard to get a lot of blood out of Mjolnir if Biofoam is constantly filling the holes up.

I enjoy blood and gore in games but it isn’t needed for me to enjoy a game.
The game is still in development, they are probably planning to add blood at a later date, but if not, not a huge loss for me.

We know that now if there is an important role in the classification of games, we all know why.:roll_eyes:

Microsoft has to think of the new generation. Parents won’t buy a game now-a-days with extreme blood and an M-Rating. I know veterans of the series, like myself, want certain things but they have to look towards the future in sales. What audience will buy the game and buy the battle pass and buy anything else that the game offers. Teens and young adults. Yes veterans will always buy and pay but will a 50 year old man really want to go out and buy Candy and Monster energy to get exclusive items in game? Not to my knowledge. If the game is advertised with little to no blood with a PG-13 rating and some kid goes to a gas station and sees Master Chief on it, they’re gonna ask their parents to buy it cause they can unlock cools skins and stuff. Every household is different. My family ALWAYS used to buy M-Rated games for me at a young age. GTA is a perfect example. Not exactly made for kids but I still played it cause that’s what I was in to and my parents knew I was mature enough to understand the game and not take advantage of it. Other homes don’t have video game systems period. Whether its because of money or personal preference. If a kid asks for a new game and a new gaming console, most parents will research the game they’re buying. One Christmas when I was like 10 maybe I went online and searched up Top Xbox 360 games. Saints Row The 3rd popped up and I asked my mom for it. She got it and I played it in the living room. Some blood and language wasn’t too bad for my mom but when that long purple weapon was pulled out. NOPE! DONE! Never played it in front of my mom or with the volume up. I played the ENTIRE game without sound. So, that’s what they have to think about. SALES!

> 2533274848722180;14:
> Parents won’t buy a game now-a-days with extreme blood and an M-Rating.

Wrong. I’m a parent that does exactly that, so some parents do. I will say that my children don’t get to play every PEGI 18 or M rated game, but they do play some, as do many of their peers. As far as Halo goes, I would like a return to Halo CE levels of blood.

The games not done yet. For all we know, enhanced blood effects could be turned off in the builds we’re seeing because it falls under the category of polishing work that they’re doing right now.

There’s no holes in the armor after you shoot someone so why does there need to be blood?

> 2533274874872263;3:
> 3. The more you leave objects lying around in game the more you’re going to affect performance. It might be ‘cool’ to have, but if it’s going to cause more bugs and crashes and performance issues, it’s easier not to have

I don’t care left, right, or center about blood decals, but this reason is ridiculous. A few decals would cost next to nothing on modern engines and hardware. It is extremely basic code to have the assets be destroyed after a few seconds. I can teach it in a 5 minute Unity tutorial. Not to mention decals can easily be client-side.

There is absolutely no way a few decals would cause poor performance or crashes on modern hardware. I mean, it clearly never caused problems on two-decade old hardware with Halo 1.

Sorry for calling you out like that, but that was a head-scratching take.

It’s such a non issue for a game like Halo. I don’t think I’ve never noticed the blood effects in multiplayer anyway.

> 2533274815711361;5:
> Spraying the walls with glowing neon alien blood is more important to me than blood in multiplayer. If it can be on in campaign and off in multiplayer I’d be fine with that.

This is where I’m at. I don’t really care much if it’s not in multiplayer but I love it in campaign.