It feels like you're a SPARTAN for the first time.

When you design a game, especially one with such a prolific and expansive history such as Halo, it’s impossible to please everyone as you move forward. Someone in a Bungie ViDoc years ago said this in regards to Halo: Reach, and the same holds true today. Per that statement, there’s one group that hates the changes and there’s one group that embraces them. Despite that, my first match of the beta was the first time since Halo: CE that I felt like an actual SPARTAN supersoldier. It was palpable and much more visceral than past iterations, and you felt like you had weight, power and true presence for the first time in a very long time.

Now whilst, yes, it does feel very different in terms of pacing and movement to the classic Halo formula we all love and know, I’m in the boat that embraces the changes. The abilities are for the most part balanced in my opinion, and the movement and speed makes you feel powerful; like what being in the shoes of a SPARTAN should feel like. I know that many will disagree, but you can’t please everyone and you can’t cater to everyones differing opinion.

I haven’t seen this particular view brought up on the forums yet and I don’t know why if I’m honest - and it feels like they nailed how it should feel to actually be a SPARTAN 100%. Halo 3 will always be my favourite, in no small part down to the amount of fun one could have in custom games, but I have to admit that in retrospect and especially in comparison to the vast array of shooters out there today (and Halo 5’s beta), you didn’t exactly feel like the pinnacle of human warfare, with slower, smoother monotonous pacing and little tools at your disposal beyond the classic Halo triangle. Now at least, I get to feel how I always imagined a SPARTAN would be like, and that’s why so far I really, REALLY enjoy what I see.

What do the rest of you think?
(AR starts were a hell of a lot more fun though, and yes I can use the BR very proficiently. It’s just not as fun).

> 2533274821043450;1:
> When you design a game, especially one with such a prolific and expansive history such as Halo, it’s impossible to please everyone as you move forward. Someone in a Bungie ViDoc years ago said this in regards to Halo: Reach, and the same holds true today. Per that statement, there’s one group that hates the changes and there’s one group that embraces them. Despite that, my first match of the beta was the first time since Halo: CE that I felt like an actual SPARTAN supersoldier. It was palpable and much more visceral than past iterations, and you felt like you had weight, power and true presence for the first time in a very long time.
>
> Now whilst, yes, it does feel very different in terms of pacing and movement to the classic Halo formula we all love and know, I’m in the boat that embraces the changes. The abilities are for the most part balanced in my opinion, and the movement and speed makes you feel powerful; like what being in the shoes of a SPARTAN should feel like. I know that many will disagree, but you can’t please everyone and you can’t cater to everyones differing opinion.
>
> I haven’t seen this particular view brought up on the forums yet and I don’t know why if I’m honest - and it feels like they nailed how it should feel to actually be a SPARTAN 100%. Halo 3 will always be my favourite, in no small part down to the amount of fun one could have in custom games, but I have to admit that in retrospect and especially in comparison to the vast array of shooters out there today (and Halo 5’s beta), you didn’t exactly feel like the pinnacle of human warfare, with slower, smoother monotonous pacing and little tools at your disposal beyond the classic Halo triangle. Now at least, I get to feel how I always imagined a SPARTAN would be like, and that’s why so far I really, REALLY enjoy what I see.
>
> What do the rest of you think?
> (AR starts were a hell of a lot more fun though, and yes I can use the BR very proficiently. It’s just not as fun).

I feel like my armor is made of paper. Kill times are too fast you feel weightless. Overall I don’t nlike this game in its current state. Kill sprint increase kill times and remove smart scope. Rest can stay

I don’t feel like a real Spartan, infact I feel weaker than ever before. If the Spartans played like they are described in the books, then that would be amazing.

Agreed. I felt the same way. Groundpounding, shoulder charging, the thrusters, and just the overall movement feels a lot more badass

> 2533274800913490;2:
> > 2533274821043450;1:
> > When you design a game, especially one with such a prolific and expansive history such as Halo, it’s impossible to please everyone as you move forward. Someone in a Bungie ViDoc years ago said this in regards to Halo: Reach, and the same holds true today. Per that statement, there’s one group that hates the changes and there’s one group that embraces them. Despite that, my first match of the beta was the first time since Halo: CE that I felt like an actual SPARTAN supersoldier. It was palpable and much more visceral than past iterations, and you felt like you had weight, power and true presence for the first time in a very long time.
> >
> > Now whilst, yes, it does feel very different in terms of pacing and movement to the classic Halo formula we all love and know, I’m in the boat that embraces the changes. The abilities are for the most part balanced in my opinion, and the movement and speed makes you feel powerful; like what being in the shoes of a SPARTAN should feel like. I know that many will disagree, but you can’t please everyone and you can’t cater to everyones differing opinion.
> >
> > I haven’t seen this particular view brought up on the forums yet and I don’t know why if I’m honest - and it feels like they nailed how it should feel to actually be a SPARTAN 100%. Halo 3 will always be my favourite, in no small part down to the amount of fun one could have in custom games, but I have to admit that in retrospect and especially in comparison to the vast array of shooters out there today (and Halo 5’s beta), you didn’t exactly feel like the pinnacle of human warfare, with slower, smoother monotonous pacing and little tools at your disposal beyond the classic Halo triangle. Now at least, I get to feel how I always imagined a SPARTAN would be like, and that’s why so far I really, REALLY enjoy what I see.
> >
> > What do the rest of you think?
> > (AR starts were a hell of a lot more fun though, and yes I can use the BR very proficiently. It’s just not as fun).
>
>
> I feel like my armor is made of paper. Kill times are too fast you feel weightless. Overall I don’t nlike this game in its current state. Kill sprint increase kill times and remove smart scope. Rest can stay

That’s down to weapon balancing though, which is a completely different topic. I should have been a little more specific; the movement, heft of the SPARTAN and tools at your disposal makes you feel like you’re controlling a MJOLNIR suit more than I have felt in any other Halo game before.

> 2533274821043450;1:
> When you design a game, especially one with such a prolific and expansive history such as Halo, it’s impossible to please everyone as you move forward. Someone in a Bungie ViDoc years ago said this in regards to Halo: Reach, and the same holds true today. Per that statement, there’s one group that hates the changes and there’s one group that embraces them. Despite that, my first match of the beta was the first time since Halo: CE that I felt like an actual SPARTAN supersoldier. It was palpable and much more visceral than past iterations, and you felt like you had weight, power and true presence for the first time in a very long time.
>
> Now whilst, yes, it does feel very different in terms of pacing and movement to the classic Halo formula we all love and know, I’m in the boat that embraces the changes. The abilities are for the most part balanced in my opinion, and the movement and speed makes you feel powerful; like what being in the shoes of a SPARTAN should feel like. I know that many will disagree, but you can’t please everyone and you can’t cater to everyones differing opinion.
>
> I haven’t seen this particular view brought up on the forums yet and I don’t know why if I’m honest - and it feels like they nailed how it should feel to actually be a SPARTAN 100%. Halo 3 will always be my favourite, in no small part down to the amount of fun one could have in custom games, but I have to admit that in retrospect and especially in comparison to the vast array of shooters out there today (and Halo 5’s beta), you didn’t exactly feel like the pinnacle of human warfare, with slower, smoother monotonous pacing and little tools at your disposal beyond the classic Halo triangle. Now at least, I get to feel how I always imagined a SPARTAN would be like, and that’s why so far I really, REALLY enjoy what I see.
>
> What do the rest of you think?
> (AR starts were a hell of a lot more fun though, and yes I can use the BR very proficiently. It’s just not as fun).

Agreed. I made a post on this not long ago in defense of sprint, referencing actual run speeds found in the books. For the first time in a Halo game I actually feel like I’m controlling an awesome supersoldier with capabilities that far outpace those of a normal marine.

That being said, I do agree that the killtimes are way too short. They need to either beef the shield (not so much that it affects the number of shots from BR/DMR/Pistol to kill, but enough to make it slower for the full autos) or slow down the rate of fire of all of the weapons (BR DMR etc included).

> 2533274832164719;3:
> I don’t feel like a real Spartan, infact I feel weaker than ever before. If the Spartans played like they are described in the books, then that would be amazing.

We can’t fight hand to hand, do flips and acrobatics, perform an essentially combat oriented parkour or play with a bunch of other people that know what we’re doing before we know it though. It would be awesome though, but let’s be realistic.

> 2533274832164719;3:
> If the Spartans played like they are described in the books, then that would be amazing.

This ^

> 2592250499813579;6:
> > 2533274821043450;1:
> > When you design a game, especially one with such a prolific and expansive history such as Halo, it’s impossible to please everyone as you move forward. Someone in a Bungie ViDoc years ago said this in regards to Halo: Reach, and the same holds true today. Per that statement, there’s one group that hates the changes and there’s one group that embraces them. Despite that, my first match of the beta was the first time since Halo: CE that I felt like an actual SPARTAN supersoldier. It was palpable and much more visceral than past iterations, and you felt like you had weight, power and true presence for the first time in a very long time.
> >
> > Now whilst, yes, it does feel very different in terms of pacing and movement to the classic Halo formula we all love and know, I’m in the boat that embraces the changes. The abilities are for the most part balanced in my opinion, and the movement and speed makes you feel powerful; like what being in the shoes of a SPARTAN should feel like. I know that many will disagree, but you can’t please everyone and you can’t cater to everyones differing opinion.
> >
> > I haven’t seen this particular view brought up on the forums yet and I don’t know why if I’m honest - and it feels like they nailed how it should feel to actually be a SPARTAN 100%. Halo 3 will always be my favourite, in no small part down to the amount of fun one could have in custom games, but I have to admit that in retrospect and especially in comparison to the vast array of shooters out there today (and Halo 5’s beta), you didn’t exactly feel like the pinnacle of human warfare, with slower, smoother monotonous pacing and little tools at your disposal beyond the classic Halo triangle. Now at least, I get to feel how I always imagined a SPARTAN would be like, and that’s why so far I really, REALLY enjoy what I see.
> >
> > What do the rest of you think?
> > (AR starts were a hell of a lot more fun though, and yes I can use the BR very proficiently. It’s just not as fun).
>
>
> Agreed. I made a post on this not long ago in defense of sprint, referencing actual run speeds found in the books. For the first time in a Halo game I actually feel like I’m controlling an awesome supersoldier with capabilities that far outpace those of a normal marine.
>
> That being said, I do agree that the killtimes are way too short. They need to either beef the shield (not so much that it affects the number of shots from BR/DMR/Pistol to kill, but enough to make it slower for the full autos) or slow down the rate of fire of all of the weapons (BR DMR etc included).

If they reduced the rate of fire of all the guns by a small amount, and I mean a small amount, then that could fix that problem pretty much entirely.

As a person who is learning game design. I enjoy the inclusion of more “superhuman” abilities and suit abilities. It just make sense, if any game was nearly a COD clone it was the older games. You basically ran a “slow” speed, you aimed the same way, and vertical gameplay was nonexistent. I was introduced to halo:CE coming from MOHAA. It was a refresher to see them introduce large maps and vehicles and it be balanced to some degree. Other FPSs caught on to some gameplay elements and thus we have a lot of the “clones”. However, with various other science fiction shooters out now like MainFrame and few others. Halo has to innovate some more or it will become average. I think the major flaw is the kill times. I feel like you die faster than you can enjoy the game, changing the fire-rate of weapons would imho fix a lot of the issues.

> 2533274821043450;5:
> > 2533274800913490;2:
> > > 2533274821043450;1:
> > > When you design a game, especially one with such a prolific and expansive history such as Halo, it’s impossible to please everyone as you move forward. Someone in a Bungie ViDoc years ago said this in regards to Halo: Reach, and the same holds true today. Per that statement, there’s one group that hates the changes and there’s one group that embraces them. Despite that, my first match of the beta was the first time since Halo: CE that I felt like an actual SPARTAN supersoldier. It was palpable and much more visceral than past iterations, and you felt like you had weight, power and true presence for the first time in a very long time.
> > >
> > > Now whilst, yes, it does feel very different in terms of pacing and movement to the classic Halo formula we all love and know, I’m in the boat that embraces the changes. The abilities are for the most part balanced in my opinion, and the movement and speed makes you feel powerful; like what being in the shoes of a SPARTAN should feel like. I know that many will disagree, but you can’t please everyone and you can’t cater to everyones differing opinion.
> > >
> > > I haven’t seen this particular view brought up on the forums yet and I don’t know why if I’m honest - and it feels like they nailed how it should feel to actually be a SPARTAN 100%. Halo 3 will always be my favourite, in no small part down to the amount of fun one could have in custom games, but I have to admit that in retrospect and especially in comparison to the vast array of shooters out there today (and Halo 5’s beta), you didn’t exactly feel like the pinnacle of human warfare, with slower, smoother monotonous pacing and little tools at your disposal beyond the classic Halo triangle. Now at least, I get to feel how I always imagined a SPARTAN would be like, and that’s why so far I really, REALLY enjoy what I see.
> > >
> > > What do the rest of you think?
> > > (AR starts were a hell of a lot more fun though, and yes I can use the BR very proficiently. It’s just not as fun).
> >
> >
> >
> > I feel like my armor is made of paper. Kill times are too fast you feel weightless. Overall I don’t nlike this game in its current state. Kill sprint increase kill times and remove smart scope. Rest can stay
>
>
> That’s down to weapon balancing though, which is a completely different topic. I should have been a little more specific; the movement, heft of the SPARTAN and tools at your disposal makes you feel like you’re controlling a MJOLNIR suit more than I have felt in any other Halo game before.

The issues people seem to having stem from the Arena style beta. Look, the shields are lower and you are easier to kill because its an Arena beta. The arena style dictates fast movement, skilled shooting and teamwork. When the final game launches, with its inevitable Big Team Battle and Team Slayer playlists, im 90% sure they will be different