Issue with Scarab Universe Article

Something that has recently been pointed out to me is that the Scarab article possesses several inaccurate figures on the Scarab, specifically its weight and crew size. In the Halo: The Essential Visual Guide the Scarab has a mass of ~3500 tons and a crew size of one driver and 49 passengers.

Link to image from the Essential Visual Guide
Link to Scarab Universe Article

Hmmm, that is strange. Perhaps it’s a retcon? Or another version of a scarab? I mean that’s a drastic change in weight, from 4,000 tons to 189 or so tons, and 49 passengers to only 12 passengers. Or maybe, like the UNSC, the Covenant acquired lighter materials or figured or a way to make materials lighter? Doesn’t explain the change in crew numbers, unless the Scarabs themselves became more independent and efficient to operate with less members. Idk, I’m grasping at straws. I’m sure there’s a reason, both real world and in universe.

Sincerely,
p1ay4OURFUN

> 2533274919463107;2:
> Hmmm, that is strange. Perhaps it’s a retcon? Or another version of a scarab? I mean that’s a drastic change in weight, from 4,000 tons to 189 or so tons, and 49 passengers to only 12 passengers. Or maybe, like the UNSC, the Covenant acquired lighter materials or figured or a way to make materials lighter? Doesn’t explain the change in crew numbers, unless the Scarabs themselves became more independent and efficient to operate with less members. Idk, I’m grasping at straws. I’m sure there’s a reason, both real world and in universe.
>
> Sincerely,
> p1ay4OURFUN

The Scarab is huge, so something of that size can’t realistically be 189 tons, even with lightweight materials (unless they are extremely lightweight, which makes you question the durability of said material considering they would be so light).

Personally, I just see it as a mistake on 343’s part and I hope this issue is rectified.

> 2533274926227685;3:
> > 2533274919463107;2:
> >
>
>
> The Scarab is huge, so something of that size can’t realistically be 189 tons, even with lightweight materials (unless they are extremely lightweight, which makes you question the durability of said material considering they would be so light).
>
> Personally, I just see it as a mistake on 343’s part and I hope this issue is rectified.

Again, I was just throwing our food for thought and optimistic possibilities. But perhaps there is more to nanolaminate hull plating than we think. It may be unrealistic for something of that size to be only 189 tons by our standards and metallic alloys we have currently today, but it may be realistic for how the Scarab is constructed and assembled and the kind of materials and alloys its made of. Since its hollow to accommodate for the Lekgolo colonies that control the Type-47 platform, which is what I assuming these dimensions are originating from, the weight sort of makes sense in this case. Then again, I would like to know how companies who create fictional vehicles go about figuring out the dimensions. I doubt its just random picking and choosing. And none of this still explains the weight inconsistency in these two sources.

> 2533274919463107;2:
> Hmmm, that is strange. Perhaps it’s a retcon? Or another version of a scarab? I mean that’s a drastic change in weight, from 4,000 tons to 189 or so tons, and 49 passengers to only 12 passengers. Or maybe, like the UNSC, the Covenant acquired lighter materials or figured or a way to make materials lighter? Doesn’t explain the change in crew numbers, unless the Scarabs themselves became more independent and efficient to operate with less members. Idk, I’m grasping at straws. I’m sure there’s a reason, both real world and in universe.
>
> Sincerely,
> p1ay4OURFUN

I myself I’m going with the “its probably referring to a different type” or the “it was just a mistake” explanation