Is this actually CoD?

Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy playing most CoD games. They offer different gameplay, and some variety, to my hobby. But, the reason I play Halo and CoD is because they are different. And all of a sudden, Halo feels a lot like CoD. I’m going to ignore the Gameplay changes for now, and focus on all the unlockables. Armour (so much of it it’s a little ridiculous), powerups (3 different kinds… perks anybody?), weapons (primary and secondary), and my favourite: emblems. All these features feel like they’re straight out of CoD. The reason this is all unlockable of course is because, by giving a constant stream of achievement, and therefore a feeling of progression, you keep players around for longer. It’s a great strategy, and it works, but… it seems to be working to the detriment of Halo. It suddenly feels as if I’m just playing a CoD game, with a blue colour theme rather than beige. While that isn’t terrible in itself, it means that I don’t have a Halo game to play, and I played Halo because it focused much more on the fun people in murdering each other, rather than giving them massive choice to customise. I kinda want that back, because it has been lost with H4.

Oh look, another “HALO IS COD NOW” thread…
no seriously, yours is well made.

I think the series needs to move on from it’s roots. not that they were bad roots, but you can’t expect to last forever with the same formula.
look at COD. even if the gameplay is similar between games, there ARE lots of changes every game. search your heart, you know it to be true. don’t make me list these changes.
I, for one, am glad they are experimenting new things. maybe they aren’t the best things ever, but the fact they’re not doing the same thing Nintendo does with Mario (“let’s make a new game that plays EXACTLY like the same, add a useless gimmick and wait for money lol”) and actually try to make differences between their games is, IMO, a good thing.
the gameplay is fine and fast, it reminds me of Halo 2 a lot more than H3 and Reach ever did.

now if only they got rid of ordnances or balanced them a little, because I always seem to get the needler/speed/pulse grenades combo while my enemies have binary rifles/incineration canon/damage boost all the time…

The gameplay is the same you just have to see it for Halo and stop think about CoD. Play gamemodes that don’t have all those addons such as Flood, SWAT, Pro, Snipers and CTF. None of those gamemodes are from the CoD books in ANY way. People are nitpicking and it’s blinding you from the truth that this is a good game and it is halo and feels like halo. If you played enough of Reach and actually liked it (cause it was a good game, whiners gonna whine, there’s nothing worse than a halo 3 halo fan) you’ll see that this is a logical and even positive progression in the series. This game has evolved in a good way so more people can come to love the universe we do. Be happy.

This probably has to be the most ignorant thing i have seen all day. well-done. Armor, emblem and what not has always been a part of halo so suck it. and the tactical and support package??? well they have to do something different they can not just re ship the same thing over and over. the progression system i do not agree with, although i am not the best halo player i want to know where i rank. although i am a 60 something. it hurts my feelings to loose to a 23. but oi halo is not COD really stop linking the 2 together it is like saying NIKE and Puma shoes are the same… they both have the same colour scheme in some shoes and blah blah blah… you can say halo is COD when you have to stare down your sight to aim… then sir you can write all you want and thousands would support you. but for now do not hate on 343 for adding new game mechanics

I dont mind the new model. Gives me something to play for.

But the gameplay is kinda the problem at the moment. I find myself playing Spartan Ops, 1 because its less frustrating, and 2 more rewarding.

Not a big fan of the maps, Weapon Drops, and the “intelligence” of the people i fun into in match making.

Maps: not enough diversity for each weapon to be useful

Weapon Drops: People are to frequently getting Power Weapons

Players: they are garbage, they dont have mics, they dont listen to call outs, they always go negative, they cant drive warthogs, no concept of tactics. Feels like a new crowd.

–edit–

would be nice if they added a ranked playlist, similar to halo 2. Where you earned your Rank. And a connection preference so i dont have to play against mexicans 1000 miles away every game. that’d be nice.

– Keep it clean.

An internal logic loop you have created, a reason the gameplay isn’t like Halo you have not.

> Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy playing most CoD games. They offer different gameplay, and some variety, to my hobby. But, the reason I play Halo and CoD is because they are different. And all of a sudden, Halo feels a lot like CoD. <mark>I’m going to ignore the Gameplay changes for now, and focus on all the unlockables.</mark> Armour (so much of it it’s a little ridiculous), powerups (3 different kinds… perks anybody?), weapons (primary and secondary), and my favourite: emblems. All these features feel like they’re straight out of CoD. The reason this is all unlockable of course is because, by giving a constant stream of achievement, and therefore a feeling of progression, you keep players around for longer. It’s a great strategy, and it works, but… it seems to be working to the detriment of Halo. <mark>It suddenly feels as if I’m just playing a CoD game, with a blue colour theme rather than beige.</mark> While that isn’t terrible in itself, it means that I don’t have a Halo game to play, and I played Halo because it focused much more on the fun people in murdering each other, rather than giving them massive choice to customise. I kinda want that back, because it has been lost with H4.

> Players: they are garbage, they dont have mics, they dont listen to call outs, they always go negative, they cant drive warthogs, no concept of tactics. Feels like a new crowd.

Thank you. I thought I was the only one. I never had this problem with ANY other Halo.
Nobody has a mic, and the ones that do are in party chat.
Nobody wants to get in a warthog, EVER, let alone drive one.
I find myself playing only when my friends are only. You know, when fun is possible. There’s no sense of teamwork or communication. It feels like a new crowd because it IS a new crowd.
Halo fans don’t like this game. The Population is low because the halo fans went “WTF is this” and left. So who stayed? The ultra competitive (You know, the ones who only play BTB to keep there K/D up), kids who have never played the original trilogy (young kids), and the fans in Denial.
This is the new GOW 3. They gave up on their crowd to get the “mainstream” or COD crowd, and as a result got neither. That games population got tiny quickly. I refer to the population because it undeniably tells how well the game is doing.
I predict (at the peak of a WEEK) the population will be less than 20,000 by April. Because this game gets boring fast, and a game like this at BEST will only last about 4 months.

> – Keep it clean.
>
>
> An internal logic loop you have created, a reason the gameplay isn’t like Halo you have not.
>
>
> > Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy playing most CoD games. They offer different gameplay, and some variety, to my hobby. But, the reason I play Halo and CoD is because they are different. And all of a sudden, Halo feels a lot like CoD. <mark>I’m going to ignore the Gameplay changes for now, and focus on all the unlockables.</mark> Armour (so much of it it’s a little ridiculous), powerups (3 different kinds… perks anybody?), weapons (primary and secondary), and my favourite: emblems. All these features feel like they’re straight out of CoD. The reason this is all unlockable of course is because, by giving a constant stream of achievement, and therefore a feeling of progression, you keep players around for longer. It’s a great strategy, and it works, but… it seems to be working to the detriment of Halo. <mark>It suddenly feels as if I’m just playing a CoD game, with a blue colour theme rather than beige.</mark> While that isn’t terrible in itself, it means that I don’t have a Halo game to play, and I played Halo because it focused much more on the fun people in murdering each other, rather than giving them massive choice to customise. I kinda want that back, because it has been lost with H4.

He said, “for now”.

> – Keep it clean.
>
>
> An internal logic loop you have created, a reason the gameplay isn’t like Halo you have not.
>
>
> > Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy playing most CoD games. They offer different gameplay, and some variety, to my hobby. But, the reason I play Halo and CoD is because they are different. And all of a sudden, Halo feels a lot like CoD. <mark>I’m going to ignore the Gameplay changes for now, and focus on all the unlockables.</mark> Armour (so much of it it’s a little ridiculous), powerups (3 different kinds… perks anybody?), weapons (primary and secondary), and my favourite: emblems. All these features feel like they’re straight out of CoD. The reason this is all unlockable of course is because, by giving a constant stream of achievement, and therefore a feeling of progression, you keep players around for longer. It’s a great strategy, and it works, but… it seems to be working to the detriment of Halo. <mark>It suddenly feels as if I’m just playing a CoD game, with a blue colour theme rather than beige.</mark> While that isn’t terrible in itself, it means that I don’t have a Halo game to play, and I played Halo because it focused much more on the fun people in murdering each other, rather than giving them massive choice to customise. I kinda want that back, because it has been lost with H4.

I agree with him. I’m going to focus on unlocking the stuff I want for now and enjoy that, because once that’s over my interest in this game will disappear. Just like Reach.
This is the closest Halo has gotten to CoD. People who deny this delude themselves intentionally. I consider it willful ignorance in defense of 343.

I look at this game and ask “is this CoD?” I play it and I’m not bored to tears. I played the first Black Ops and I was bored to tears within the first mission. I conclude that just because it has similar components to CoD, its nothing like it. Its like saying Sly Cooper and Splinter Cell are the same thing.

Halo 4, unfortunately, feels like CoD.

After defending Halo 4 when we first got to see what we would be playing, all the way up until release…I feel rather back stabbed by 343.

I love the Campaign, the map designs, the Forge(OH GOD I -Yoinking!- LOVE FORGE!), and the custom games…but, unfortunately, I don’t feel like I’m playing Halo.

I don’t necessarily feel like i’m PLAYING CoD, it just has that CoD feel of a shooter to it though. And I hate it…

I don’t know.

I played Halo not just for the multiplayer but the Canon, the designs, etc! Halo was it’s own animal in its own environment, and Halo 4 is doing that too, only to the point where I feel it should have a different name though, as it does not feel like Halo to me.

All the people saying that it feels like Halo, in my opinion anyways, were wrong.

yes I have a super soldier Multiplayer character, yes he is (supposedly) a spartan, yes there are religious aliens in a religious faction bent on Human Extinction and there are character’s that have the same names and voices of my characters I cherish so much…but…

It’s lacking, not just to the point of where I don’t like it, but the more I play, the more I feel tired of it as time goes by and the more I want to go back to Reach, and even further, go to a game store and get Halo 3 all over again.

I mean, I’m contradicting myself a bit on how I said Halo 4 needs change but…-Yoink!- if I was ever wrong…this change is beyond what it should have done and where it should have gone.

The Ship’s are now bland like all other sci-fi human ships, no interesting shapes and designs just round and submarine in style.

Boring.

The Spartan IV’s, who are apparently volunteers and experienced soldiers, are bland and have annoying personalities, every time I look at them I feel like I’m looking at Movie Stars playing out an act rather than super soldiers or soldiers in general for that matter.

Spartan Ops is over-hyped and falls short of expectations in certain area’s. Textures are dated and disgusting on vehicles, and certain polygons(I tested it and Reach actually has better textures and polygon resolution)

The Canon of their own books is now treated nearly just as poorly as The Fall of Reach was for Halo: Reach. (Glasslands/The Thursday War - Halsey was to be imprisoned on Infinity in a darker part of it, Halo 4 - is on some other cloaked ship from unknown destinations.)

The Armor and Designs are poor and make little sense and are just plain silly or disgusting. (Tell me how a Marine goes from looking as combat ready as this ‘Halo: Reach Marine’ to THIS four in a half to five years later? And further how can the Covenant suddenly be considered canonically wearing such laughably small or short armor all the time and yet still have much more regal, refined, and advanced looking armor in the past before it?

Over all, I love Halo 4 as a game, but that’s just it…I don’t see it as Halo…

343 has been frivolous with their roots, the canon of the designs, characters, and story(And even there own canon, their design of the covenant, the IV’s, everything in this feels like it is moving away from Halo and not adding to it to make it a new trilogy.

it feels like a completely different game that has Halo on the box’s title, like Halo Wars, which, unfortunately, felt more Halo than this for being an RTS.

343, I love your game and the amazing campaign that comes with it…but…you have been careless, and I’m sorry but it frustrates me.

I’ll still play for the time being…but right now your so close to being like Bioware, and how they are with EA that I feel nostalgia just remembering the horrific ‘thing’ that was Mass Effect 3.

While yes, I would like change, I would like it in the sense of change from Halo 3 to Reach. That Change was sensible and comfortable. This is forced, disgusting, annoying, cheap, and just not thought out in terms of designs and canon upholding so far.

Oh, another one of these.

I will just leave it at this: From my experience in the game, the gameplay is very different from CoD. The overall feel, look, and gameplay style prove this. I have played many CoD games and know this for a fact.

From a more casual gamer, who has played halo for a long time (but never online until halo 4) and also has never played CoD ever…

I bought halo 4 and said eh why not ill try online. Instantly liked it. Sure im not getting 30 kills a match or coming in first every time, but I like the armor upgrades, I like the loadout options, I like unlocking new stuff as I go along.

2 days ago I picked up CoD just to see what all the fuss is about. I was extremely disappointed. From what everyone is saying they made H4 a clone of CoD but I am loving H4 and I think CoD blows.

From what I have experienced so far, CoD is one huge campfest where everyone just finds a dark alley or window and picks off people as they run by. The only way to avoid radar in Halo is active camo, which only lasts a few seconds then you are out in the open again. In CoD you only show up on radar when you move or shoot, basically making it beneficial to camp, nobody can see you. On top of that people are wearing plain clothes so they can blend in with the scenery, in halo its RvB so you cant hide for long making it a more dynamic game, you keep moving or you get hit.

Halo 4 is da beez kneez!

> Oh, another one of these.
>
> I will just leave it at this: From my experience in the game, the gameplay is very different from CoD. The overall feel, look, and gameplay style prove this. I have played many CoD games and know this for a <mark>fact</mark>.

Opinion.

343i had to copy CODS formula apparently to survive, every FPS plays exactly the same now…just different art and weapons

We deserve a classic playlist-let the rest of the game cater to the world(casuals)

> > Oh, another one of these.
> >
> > I will just leave it at this: From my experience in the game, the gameplay is very different from CoD. The overall feel, look, and gameplay style prove this. I have played many CoD games and know this for a <mark>fact</mark>.
>
> Opinion.

I don’t like the gameplay elements borrowed from CoD. Like you say, CoD is a good game, but it’s different to halo, and that’s why we got both. Halo is NEVER going to be a better CoD, that CoD itself is.

I want halo without perks/customisable loadouts/killcams/instant respawn…
If I wanted all this I’d play CoD. I don’t want this. I want Halo.

I don’t know about you, but this game still plays like Halo. All the tactics we used in Halo 2 and 3 still work in Halo 4, and we don’t die in a raging flash like you do in CoD.

I disagree with the notion that 343 had to implement the specific changes they have done to make Halo survive. You don’t make your game more popular and attract new players by offering them features and experiences they are already getting from numerous other franchises/titles, and have been getting from countless other franchises/titles for half a decade now.

If people want perks, killstreaks and loadouts, they’d play one of the countless games that already have them. I’d even say that one of the things that kept a lot of people coming back to H3 was the fact that it didn’t have any of this sort of stuff, in a market that was full of that kind of stuff.