is there reason to believe 343 learned from MCC?

I want to believe in them; I like the halo story and want to see where it goes next, and enjoy several aspects of the halo multiplayer. But MCC was so terrible and broken in many ways, and over half a year later is still having problems, that I’m not really sure how 343 can act like they have sufficient trust to offer any preorder options.

Yeah, people can say MCC was hard to port some old games. But people have been porting games for a long time to different consoles/generations/whatever without having nearly as many problems. Chrono trigger was ported to almost every device possible. Baldur’s gate 1, expansion 1, 2, expansion 2 (4 games! ohno that’s hard) were ported to tablets and modern computers (a series starting in 1998, more outdated than halo ce) with good success. And tons of other ports. Some companies delayed their products a bit rather than releasing broken -Yoink-, which is something important but I don’t know if 343 can do that.

Is there any reason to hope anymore?

1 Like

Halo 5 was built from the ground up with a separate team on a new engine a new system. I am sure they learned a lot from the beta experience like they said. If you do not trust 343i with the game’s release then do not preorder. Simple.

I for one am getting this game mostly for the story, so I have faith. I have a feeling this will be one helluva year for Halo in general. Just watch.

Yes because they know they can’t screw up again

Most games have A 2-3 year dev cycle. MCC was given, from what we know, around 11 month which is the reason the outsourced to meet an unreasonable due date. With all of that considered i think they did pretty good.

Halo 5 has been in dev for about 3 years. The beta was absolutely amazing. The final product will be as well.

Not really indicative of their skills, trying to slap together a collection of games where they only made one themselves (and remade two others but again moot point). MCC was outsourced, rushed, and a big undertaking for any developer. I’m confident that 5 will be fine. Maybe a few growing pains like 4 had (no red x’s? come on), but nothing game breaking.

Yes, you should believe them. First off, the MCC was not developed exclusively by 343i. Most of the development was handled by other dev teams including Certain Affinity, Ruffian Games, Saber Interactive, Blur Studios, and United Front Games. Secondly, 343i has already delivered us a Halo game in the past named Halo 4 which had no server problems when it launched. Thirdly, the Halo franchise is Microsoft’s biggest IP, which has garnered billions of dollars in revenue, and they will not under any circumstances allow the franchise to die over stupid technical issues.

Not really. People keep parroting the ‘separate teams’ line, but I don’t particularly care. The fact that the MCC was released in the state it was in and has continued to languish many months after launch can’t be hand-waved away simply because different teams are working on Halo 5 and MCC.

It still has their name on it and as a result the reputation of both 343 and the parent company MS has been lowered. If we are supposed to believe then that this other Halo 5 team is that more competent or well equipped to handle the task than the MCC team, then the MCC was basically given the B-team(or multiple) to put the 3 games that put the series on the map and they botched it.

It may very well be that Halo 5 works flawlessly at launch, but it still is not exactly reassuring that they can’t put in the full effort unless it is a mainline title.

It is not as if the MCC was the time 343’s reputation has sunk for a lot of players. I really thought they understood once they took over Reach and implemented the TU with many of the features players had been clamoring for since that game launched. Then Halo 4 dropped and I stopped playing Halo altogether for a year, and it doesn’t really inspire confidence when the Halo developers had to be told that Halo players don’t want perks/killstreaks and their next ‘innovations’ include ADS and ‘mobility’ mechanics that are the flavor of the week as far as Shooters go.

There is a reason, and that is that halo 5 and MCC are completely different in terms of how they are made.

One is a massive amalgamation of 4.5 games author different engines all trying to run on the same server farm

And the other is a single, beta tested game that has been in development for 2 years, and has a 3 year Dev cycle.

Not really. I can’t really think of anything noteworthy that 343 has ever done in their career. Halo 4’s gameplay design was so atrocious that everyone abandoned the game within 3 months. It functioned fairly well but it still had lots of glitches and annoyances such as killcams never working. It took them 3 months to create a functioning file browser and it took a whole year for them to release a title update to address the most complained about issues.

The MCC is obviously an even bigger failure and their attempts at fixing the game have shown nothing that would suggest 343 knows what they’re doing. The game is still unplayable 6 months after launch and I doubt 343 will ever be able to fix it. Even if they manage it they’ve already lost most of their population

If your skeptical about getting Halo 5 because of MCCs launch then just wait for the reviews to come out before buying… Its very simple. You don’t need to ask people on a forum who don’t have anymore info on the game than you…

> 2533274819446242;7:
> Not really. People keep parroting the ‘separate teams’ line, but I don’t particularly care.

“People like to use logic and reason to reach a sensible conclusion in arguments, and not let anger cloud their vision but I don’t particularly care.”

There’s no reason to not believe them. Halo 4 launched phenomenally; it was perfectly playable and only had a few things that needed tweaking post-launch.

You cannot use MCC as an example of their ability to launch a game. MCC was a complicated, outsourced, rushed project. It was a project that should have been given a 2-3 year development cycle but was rushed to meet the H2A deadline, and was therefor outsourced to a bunch of other companies to meet that 11-month deadline. When the game launched, the various companies’ codes didn’t play nice with each other, and Frankenstein’s MCC was born.

Judge 343 by their past launches of single games that they have actually made in-house and on their own schedules. These games would be Halo 4, Halo: Spartan Assault, and Halo: Spartan Strike. They all launched more or less perfectly. You could understandably refuse to include Assault and Strike, which would just leave you with Halo 4, and Halo 4 launched just fine.

Stop using MCC as an excuse to bash 343’s ability to launch a game. Stop accusing them of tricking you out of your money. Stop claiming that they aren’t doing enough to fix it. MCC’s launch was not their fault, and claiming that it was is simply erroneous.

> 2533274950614657;11:
> > 2533274819446242;7:
> > Not really. People keep parroting the ‘separate teams’ line, but I don’t particularly care.
>
>
> “People like to use logic and reason to reach a sensible conclusion in arguments, and not let anger cloud their vision but I don’t particularly care.”

By all means take that quote out of context, despite explaining my reasoning why I don’t give that particular argument much weight. Don’t let me stop you from making yourself feel clever making snippy comments in response to seemingly ‘unreasonable’ people.

> 2533274819446242;13:
> > 2533274950614657;11:
> > > 2533274819446242;7:
> > > Not really. People keep parroting the ‘separate teams’ line, but I don’t particularly care.
> >
> >
> > “People like to use logic and reason to reach a sensible conclusion in arguments, and not let anger cloud their vision but I don’t particularly care.”
>
>
> By all means take that quote out of context, despite explaining my reasoning why I don’t give that particular argument much weight. Don’t let me stop you from making yourself feel clever making snippy comments in response to seemingly ‘unreasonable’ people.

He wasn’t taking a quote out of context, he was using a satirical rephrasing of your original statement as a means of illustrating his disapproval of what you said.

By the way, the lack of a file browser and malfunctioning kill cams did not make Halo 4 “broken”. Halo 4 was perfectly playable at launch, and only got better as time went by. I’ve already talked about why MCC cannot be used as an example of ineptitude (several times, this thread is just the most recent one). I suggest you 343-bashers find something else to latch onto, because MCC was not their fault. So far 343’s track record looks like this:

Halo 4 - regular in-house production on standard 3-year development cycle: worked perfectly fine at launch and was made better and better as time passed

Halo Spartan Assault - small in-house production: worked perfectly fine at launch

Halo: The Master Chief Collection - massive production that required outsourcing to several different companies and was put together on a rushed 11-month timeline: broken at launch, took ~5 months to get the game to a state where it is playable and enjoyable (interesting note: 343’s only substantial input on MCC was the UI - basically the menus)

Halo Spartan Strike - small in-house production: worked perfectly fine at launch

I can see no reason to assume that Halo 5 would come out in the same state as MCC, as it is far more closely related to the other titles in terms of the game’s nature (being a single game rather than a collection) and time spent in development.

> 2533274810150284;14:
> > 2533274819446242;13:
> > > 2533274950614657;11:
> > > > 2533274819446242;7:
> > > > Not really. People keep parroting the ‘separate teams’ line, but I don’t particularly care.
> > >
> > >
> > > “People like to use logic and reason to reach a sensible conclusion in arguments, and not let anger cloud their vision but I don’t particularly care.”
> >
> >
> > By all means take that quote out of context, despite explaining my reasoning why I don’t give that particular argument much weight. Don’t let me stop you from making yourself feel clever making snippy comments in response to seemingly ‘unreasonable’ people.
>
>
> He wasn’t taking a quote out of context, he was using a satirical rephrasing of your original statement as a means of illustrating his disapproval of what you said.
>
> By the way, the lack of a file browser and malfunctioning kill cams did not make Halo 4 “broken”. Halo 4 was perfectly playable at launch, and only got better as time went by. I’ve already talked about why MCC cannot be used as an example of ineptitude (several times, this thread is just the most recent one). I suggest you 343-bashers find something else to latch onto, because MCC was not their fault. So far 343’s track record looks like this:
>
> Halo 4 - regular in-house production on standard 3-year development cycle: worked perfectly fine at launch and was made better and better as time passed
>
> Halo Spartan Assault - small in-house production: worked perfectly fine at launch
>
> Halo: The Master Chief Collection - massive production that required outsourcing to several different companies and was put together on a rushed 11-month timeline: broken at launch, took ~5 months to get the game to a state where it is playable and enjoyable (interesting note: 343’s only substantial input on MCC was the UI - basically the menus)
>
> Halo Spartan Strike - small in-house production: worked perfectly fine at launch
>
> I can see no reason to assume that Halo 5 would come out in the same state as MCC, as it is far more closely related to the other titles in terms of the game’s nature (being a single game rather than a collection) and time spent in development.

Well said and I completely agree, the general “panic” based on the MCC is over-reactive, in my opinion.

> 2533274816299345;4:
> Most games have A 2-3 year dev cycle. MCC was given, from what we know, around 11 month which is the reason the outsourced to meet an unreasonable due date. With all of that considered i think they did pretty good.

This is absolutely NOT true. MCC had been decided on, planned out, and put into motion almost (maybe even just over) 2 YEARS prior to E3 2014.
So sick of hearing this lie that 343 and their outsourced clients were thrown under the bus. This was NOT some last minute operation. AT ALL!! Remember E3 2013??? Remember how they told you you’re Halo experience on Xbox One WOULD start in 2014…but never told you that it was going to be HALO 5???

Search this thing called the internet. Ive even seen a video interview with Phil Spencer and heard him refer to WHEN this game was fully decided on and committed to. How is this “last minute, rushed project” lie still alive???

I think they learned from the MCC.

I think the better question is did they learn from H4?

> 2533274946634226;16:
> > 2533274816299345;4:
> > Most games have A 2-3 year dev cycle. MCC was given, from what we know, around 11 month which is the reason the outsourced to meet an unreasonable due date. With all of that considered i think they did pretty good.
>
>
> This is absolutely NOT true. MCC had been decided on, planned out, and put into motion almost (maybe even just over) 2 YEARS prior to E3 2014.
> So sick of hearing this lie that 343 and their outsourced clients were thrown under the bus. This was NOT some last minute operation. AT ALL!! Remember E3 2013??? Remember how they told you you’re Halo experience on Xbox One WOULD start in 2014…but never told you that it was going to be HALO 5???
>
> Search this thing called the internet. Ive even seen a video interview with Phil Spencer and heard him refer to WHEN this game was fully decided on and committed to. How is this “last minute, rushed project” lie still alive???

All that says to me is that Halo 2 Anniversary may have been planned prior to 2014 and thus would kick off the Halo Xbox One experience. When the other games were added to the project remains a mystery.

Apart from their word? No, not really.

The rest is up to you, which is pretty simple, you either wait until Halo 5 is released to see how it turns out or you pre-order in hopes that it’ll be what you want it to be.

343i didn’t even make mcc…