Is there a reason armor doesn't fit?

I understand the choice to have three body types was intentional. But I don’t understand why armor doesn’t fit the body types that we have. This is very noticeable with Type 1 with being able to see behind pieces of armor that you clearly weren’t intended to.

Considering Mark V [B] is literally old armor that has been retrofitted with new tech this also doesn’t seem lore accurate based on the games. In Reach we had different sized armor to fit different sized Spartans. If they updated that armor to be compatible with gen III, then it still should have different sizes.

People liked how Reach did it, and for a game that promised Reach level customization I find it odd that the armor we have doesn’t fit. It feels the game doesn’t live up to what was promised, and I for one am not happy about that.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think the armor especially around the ribs is really floating on the slimmer bodies. Each body type would have a more noticeable profile if that part of the chestpiece was more properly fitted.

I feel bad for Yoroi because it doesn’t have any differences at all among body types.

2 Likes

Reach didn’t size armour to bodies, that was first in 4. But Reach did position them properly at least. It really does seem like a small person wearing an extra large shirt XD

1 Like

If you look here:

https://boundingintocomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/2021.10.12-09.27-boundingintocomics-6165fdc1c3437.jpg

You can notice the armor does change size. One noticeable area is the biceps. They’re noticeably smaller on the right image. But it’s not the only piece of armor that changes. If you look at the chest armor under the shoulder you can see it juts out further on the left hand side.

Otherwise I agree with you.

1 Like

Sorry, I was more talking about the attachments like shoulders etc and not the base. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Pretty sure Chobham scaled with thigh size. I used it in base game Reach. That it doesn’t in MCC is an oversight I believe.

My suggestion:

Maybe it is because they designed all armor to 1 main body type, e.g. Type 2. In order to offer
2 alternative body types in time at release, they added a slimmer and a bulkier variant of type 2.

Because of crunch-times they were not able to fit all armor-parts to the different body types and
had to rush to any kind of solution. (That could explain, why we have only “3” ambiguos body types
and not more, too, or why some armor designs look different than in the past).

2 Likes

It was actually intentional as they said it was in a ViDoc. It was the make the Spartans more androgynous, which didn’t work.

If life taught me 1 thing, then that I do not believe what anyone says without thinking twice about it.

2 Likes

So it’s just bad design then? Because the armor doesn’t fit.

Also, they had to know the androgynous look was going to upset a lot of people who were used to representation. Especially with all the become you Spartan and comparisons to Reach. If it’s intentional it seems like they purposefully mislead people with their marketing. I don’t like that.

3 Likes

It’s more with social media these days as you can’t have a “sexualised” female character. I mean, people called Reach, 4 and 5’s females oversexualised now. It’s also to somehow be more inclusive over the people who believe in multiple genders.
But essentially by trying to be inclusive they’ve been exclusive on accident.

1 Like

Definitely agree with being exclusive by accident. Hoenstly, if they’d have kept what we had, had armor that scaled to the body, and added these new options I don’t think anyone who actually plays the game would be upset. Maybe journalists, but I honestly don’t care about them.

2 Likes

Are there only 3 ambiguos body types because of the political agenda or is the political agenda just an excuse for not having enough time to flesh models out. (Think about being at school and explain in front of the teacher, why project XYZ did not work or was not finished).

Because I do not see a problem to make 3 “male” body types (Type 1.1-1.3), 3 “female” body types (Type 2.1-.2.3) and 3 ambiguos body types (3.1-3.3). In order to prevent political problems, you could make different voices, which are available on every body type.

I just thought about that, when I rembered the budget of the game…

3 Likes

And I think that’s the problem. Rather than just adding in more options, they took some away. Heck, what they did in MCC was fine with voice and body seperate, I mean I disagree but that’s a whole other point outside of Halo and it made most of the community happy. But yeah, Devs tend to care a lot about what journos and Twitter mobs say.

2 Likes

I agree, 3 of each would have been fantastic, but just 3 would have been fine. Male, female and a mix which is hard to tell (think Samus from metroid, you can have an arguement for either whilst in the suit). But this is why quite a few people advocate for a bodyslide or morph tool like in various RPGs. Personally I think the bed body tool has been in PSO2, so much customisation on the bodyshape alone.

3 Likes

WHY is the Mohawk and Visor from Cyber Showdown OFF CENTER? My OCD legit can’t handle it and I’ll NEVER wear it unless they fix it. I understand this such a minor gripe with a game that has tons of issues but COME ON!

2 Likes

I don’t think they track with all the stances either. I had a match the other day where a players visor effect was down at their chin. It looked absolutely ridiculous.