Is there a Fiction Timeline?

I don’t mean like a time line of all the events, I know that exists.

With Halo 4 coming next year and Halo CEA out, I feel like I should go through the expanded universe over the coming year to be up to speed. I love the games but I know the books have so much more. So I was wondering if there’s an order for everything in Halo’s fictions in regards to publications.

Games, Books, Comics/Graphic novels, Halo Legends.

If it has already been answered, I do apologise. Still quite new and lurking in the boards at this time.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn’t mind this either.

So far on the books, this is the chronological order::

Cryptum
Contact Harvest
Fall of Reach
Cole Protocol
The Flood (essentially just Halo: CE )
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands

I’d probably read them in this order, though::

Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands
Contact Harvest
Cole Protocol
Cryptum

Contact Harvest is how the Covenant war started but, to me, the last three books are best to read after getting the details from the other ones.
Not sure about the comics and stuff, though. :slight_smile:

I’ve got a huge canon order somewhere on the forums. Can’t link it due to time restraints and the fact I’m using a phone so I’ll link it next time I’m on the forums. Anyway its about to get its next update.

> So far on the books, this is the chronological order::
>
> Cryptum
> Contact Harvest
> Fall of Reach
> Cole Protocol
> The Flood (essentially just Halo: CE )
> First Strike
> Ghosts of Onyx
> Glasslands
>
> I’d probably read them in this order, though::
>
> Fall of Reach
> The Flood
> First Strike
> Ghosts of Onyx
> Glasslands
> Contact Harvest
> Cole Protocol
> Cryptum
>
> Contact Harvest is how the Covenant war started but, to me, the last three books are best to read after getting the details from the other ones.
> Not sure about the comics and stuff, though. :slight_smile:

Problem is though the novels tend to jump years forward and back to different events so you can’t really give them any chronological order.

Hell in The Fall of Reach only the last 50 pages or so is about the Battle of Reach.

However in terms of reading them you should ALWAYS have The Fall of Reach(Preferably the new 2011 “Definitive Edition”) be your first.

Generaly every book that has been writen after The Fall of Reach, has been writen with the previous books in mind.

So when Eric Nylund wrote Ghosts of Onyx, he wrote it assuming that the readers (us) would have prior knowlege af all the other books.

The same goes for the games aswell.
In the CEA Terminals, Guilty Spark talks about the Domain, Ecumene Council and the Didact.
If you havn’t alreadt read Cryptum, you won’t have a clue what he’s talking about.

In general, read the books in the order they were released.
Its the best way.

> Generaly every book that has been writen after The Fall of Reach, has been writen with the previous books in mind.
>
> So when Eric Nylund wrote Ghosts of Onyx, he wrote it assuming that the readers (us) would have prior knowlege af all the other books.
>
> The same goes for the games aswell.
> In the CEA Terminals, Guilty Spark talks about the Domain, Ecumene Council and the Didact.
> If you havn’t alreadt read Cryptum, you won’t have a clue what he’s talking about.
>
> In general, read the books in the order they were released.
> Its the best way.

You are right 2/3 times. The Ecumene Council and Domain would be new things to the game only crowd. The Diadact has been known for a long time to the games via the Halo 3 Terminals.

Cryptum only gave us a more in-depth look at the Diadact old and new.

didnt they have a timeline in halo wars if i remeamber.

I’ve enjoyed many of the books, but something that does disappoint me and in-fact this is more directed at Cryptum than the rest; is how little the authors really do thier homework concerning the Halo universe before expanding it.

I find it a jarring experience to read something only to be pulled out of the story thinking “Hang on, according to the game that isn’t right”

This makes me more disappointed for the future of Halo, given that 343 seem to be taking to heart many of Cryptums aspects; despite the fact the author himself can’t maintain continuity within his own book, let alone against the pre-established terminals discovered in Halo 3.

It is made more confusing in Halo Anniversary during the first terminal when (spoiler) 343 refers to Humans as well Humans as they are landing; yet later in the game when he is accessing the mainframe as they stuck true to the original he curiously says “Curious… Hmm… So HUMAN history is it?”

I understand the need at times for retcon-ing; BUT frankly there is absolutely NO reason why 343 can’t put together a wiki, even if it is internal with vague information covering all the concepts they believe should work; then check authors work prior to publishing (as License holders that is their right!) against said wiki to make sure that continuity is maintained.

Years ago maintaining such a large database of information would’ve been costly especially just for a video game, but frankly you just have to look at the Star Wars continuity and retcon-ing that had to be done prior to Wookiepedia compared to now. Same with Star Trek books/comics prior to Memory Alpha.

While the universe section is a good start, that is ALL it is. 343 has the media from ALL of the games, they can cover all of the weapons (and variants including pictures of them all), same with ships, locations, etc… halo.wiki.com has more information than the official source, while this might always be true; I think that there should be someone at 343 who’s only job is to maintain and expand that section, in particular with timelines; set facts, etc…

I think we all need a place where Canon is officially maintained, while fansites do a good job of it at times; they don’t know what the developers themselves are thinking, it should be up to the developers to provide. Especially as it could be a good way to expanding on concepts introduced within the games/movies/comics/etc.

i highly reccomend reading in the following order:

Forerunner Saga
Cryptum
Primordium

Main Halo Series
Contact Harvest
Cole Protocol
Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands