Is there a decline in MM players?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a decline in MM?

I mean, ever since the introduction of the new Community maps it seems a lot of players of similar skill to me (below average, yes I not that crash hot) have become few and far between. I always prioritize “skill” as my MM search option and I used to have a lot of great well matched games and also have some good winning streaks. However, there has been a noticeable decrease in these players in MM in the last week or so, and it would seem, since the last update. I’m not sure if this is the case, or if I’ve plateaued, or if I’m just having a lot of bad luck.

Now, please don’t flame me. I’m not whinging, and I hope it doesn’t come across that way. If I wrote this over at B.net I’d get all sorts of negative comments. I know people here are far more mature.

I just want to get an idea of what others have perceived, if anything at all. Have you noticed a drop in numbers in MM? Has the game seemed to become more difficult or at least do you think that you are playing against more difficult players more often.

Please discuss with civility.

> Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a decline in MM?
>
> I mean, ever since the introduction of the new Community maps it seems a lot of players of similar skill to me (below average, yes I not that crash hot) have become few and far between. I always prioritize “skill” as my MM search option and I used to have a lot of great well matched games and also have some good winning streaks. However, there has been a noticeable decrease in these players in MM in the last week or so, and it would seem, since the last update. I’m not sure if this is the case, or if I’ve plateaued, or if I’m just having a lot of bad luck.
>
> Now, please don’t flame me. I’m not whinging, and I hope it doesn’t come across that way. If I wrote this over at B.net I’d get all sorts of negative comments. I know people here are far more mature.
>
> I just want to get an idea of what others have perceived, if anything at all. Have you noticed a drop in numbers in MM? Has the game seemed to become more difficult or at least do you think that you are playing against more difficult players more often.
>
> Please discuss with civility.

the main reasons you arent getting paired up against people who are the same skill level as you are as follows:

1.) the system that pairs like skilled people in reach is laughable. people always talk trash when others suggest they just bring back 1-50 ranking. dont get me wrong, 1-50 wasnt perfect, but at least it actually paired up like-skilled people. that simply DOES NOT HAPPEN in reach outside of arena.

2.) player decline. most of this is at the higher skill levels of reach, but i bet it happens at lower levels of play also.

> Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a decline in MM?
>
> I mean, ever since the introduction of the new Community maps it seems a lot of players of similar skill to me (below average, yes I not that crash hot) have become few and far between. I always prioritize “skill” as my MM search option and I used to have a lot of great well matched games and also have some good winning streaks. However, there has been a noticeable decrease in these players in MM in the last week or so, and it would seem, since the last update. I’m not sure if this is the case, or if I’ve plateaued, or if I’m just having a lot of bad luck.
>
> Now, please don’t flame me. I’m not whinging, and I hope it doesn’t come across that way. If I wrote this over at B.net I’d get all sorts of negative comments. I know people here are far more mature.
>
> I just want to get an idea of what others have perceived, if anything at all. Have you noticed a drop in numbers in MM? Has the game seemed to become more difficult or at least do you think that you are playing against more difficult players more often.
>
> Please discuss with civility.

The player count has plateaued, but the sheer number and diversity of playlists (and some can even argue “redundancy”) means that the player populations are spread out more than ever.

To make up for this, match making controls had to be loosened in order to find players games, and I agree with this decision, getting my butt kicked in a game beats just sitting in the queue.

Un-informed posters like to think that people are leaving the game in droves, or that a lack of a magical 1-50 system is what leads to the terrible matches, and queues and wait times.

The reality is that Reach has a strong population, but that it’s population has a very diverse taste and you see that in the numbers of people on each of the TWENTY-ONE playlist Bungie has to offer.

I have seen a decline in the population as well, but I’ve also seen it pretty high sometimes. I think it may be that, even though it is Halo, a lot of people felt jaded by the game because of it’s shortcomings and moved on to something else that they feel is more of a FPS along what they want. I will always play Halo as long as it is good to me; which Reach is, just a different type of Halo.

With that many playlists for Halo, you’d think the population would be a little bit higher. It is kinda sad to go into Grifball sometimes and only 500+ people are in that playlist.

Also dont forget that this is the time of year where the last of the good games come out before the summer drop off. The weather is getting nice as well that also hurts.

Sure the population is lower than before. There’s been about a 10-15% drop from what I have seen since 2 things happening simultaneously. 1, the GoW3 Beta came out. 2, Bungie officially stated their intentions of weening off Halo talk very quickly.

The weekend spikes anywhere from 50-120%. It has since the beginning. To me that indicates a more mature crowd that has responsibilities throughout the week compared to other games. That it is declining is of not matter to me. Good games are a plenty at the moment and any good gamer should spread their time if they can afford it through time and $. I’m missing out on a few games right now and not by my choice.

There are many great games that don’t get any numbers close to Halo or CoD. CoD had to do it by being on every platform possible. Be happy for another’s success instead of envious (or jealous). So says Chuck.

I know any company would like the oodles and oodles of mindless highschoolers to eat up their product. But I prefer a hardcore base rather than a casual base. In my experience, a large casual base usually means exploits are easily done.

> Sure the population is lower than before. There’s been about a 10-15% drop from what I have seen since 2 things happening simultaneously. 1, the GoW3 Beta came out. 2, Bungie officially stated their intentions of weening off Halo talk very quickly.
>
> The weekend spikes anywhere from 50-120%. It has since the beginning. To me that indicates a more mature crowd that has responsibilities throughout the week compared to other games. That it is declining is of not matter to me. Good games are a plenty at the moment and any good gamer should spread their time if they can afford it through time and $. I’m missing out on a few games right now and not by my choice.
>
> There are many great games that don’t get any numbers close to Halo or CoD. CoD had to do it by being on every platform possible. Be happy for another’s success instead of envious (or jealous). So says Chuck.
>
> I know any company would like the oodles and oodles of mindless highschoolers to eat up their product. But I prefer a hardcore base rather than a casual base. In my experience, a large casual base usually means exploits are easily done.

A more mature crowd really? You think things like AA’s,a credit system that promotes selfish play ,only appeals to 14 year olds, and just in general Reach attracts a more mature crowd? No, in fact many people wont even search random anymore because of all the griefers out there that betray you for power weapons or AFK boost. The Halo community has GREATLY declined from what it used to be and this is speaking from personal experience.

And you actually think Reach has a hardcore fanbase? Haha, most of the competitve and Halo veterans have quit Reach, look at all the hate Halo 2 got for the added aim assist and bullet magnetism people quit the game because of that. You think those same fanbases would accept the core foundations of Halo being ripped apart and a load-out system being added into their Halo? HAHA, no way Reach is not doing as good population wise because those fanbases have checked out. Look at the competitve playlists they fail to break 2k on a daily basis, I remember seeing 60k people in TS in previous Halo games and that was only one ranked playlist.

That and slower kill times do not appeal to casual or hardcore fans of the series, Reach is missing that Halo feel and thats why it isnt doing as good make no mistake about it. Make all the excuses you want, but Reach is not doing good because it doesnt have the Halo core foundations that appealed to fans of the series in the first place.

> Make all the excuses you want, but Reach is not doing good because it doesnt have the Halo core foundations that appealed to fans of the series in the first place.

this.

reach is terrible compared to halos 1, 2, and 3 when looking at the core game mechanics. its not even remotely close. sure the game engine is about a billion times better, but that has very little to do with the fact that they implemented -Yoink- mechanics for the ‘brown square’.

pretty sad that MW2 has more people playing it than halo reach. not surprising, however. at least in that game the person who shoots better wins the encounter (unless the other person is shooting noob tubes).

Hardcore and competitive are not the same thing.

There are many hardcore Halo players who barely touch a what you consider competitive.

Very few competitive Halo players are hardcore Halo fans.

Do not confuse the two completely separate meanings as one.

As far as everything else, you claim to be around as long as I in the Haloverse. We are both speaking from experience. I say I’ve played more games and for longer… What’s that count?

Dragon Ball Z-GT comparison:
Goku = Growth-mindest.
Vegeta = Fixed-mindset.
Both are competitive. Both train hardcore. Goku can often train casually, Vegeta always trains seriously. I consider Vegeta more technically skilled than Goku but Goku has a Yomi-level well over 9000.

Haha, Reach MM is garbage compared to the others.

I personally don’t play reach very often, maybe once every month. I like the game, but the matchmaking containing so much randomness had really turned me off. If I don’t play a lot, I don’t know where stuff is, what map it is, what to expect in basic (but changed) game types, or even know what a game type might be. Don’t get me wrong, I love variety, and reach has it big time, but I miss knowing what to expect in the core playlists, and knowing what maps will be in them. The odd/weird playlist are awesome, but it feels like everything is that in Reach, so I wonder if it’s not just my reason for not playing much, but a lot of other people as well. If the core playlists were set in stone in what they contained, I would probably play more, but it’s always random and thus hard to pick back up.

I follow the population from time to time. REACH has lost a lot of population overall since January. It’s still pulling in around 500,000 Unique users in 24 hours. That’s tons of people to keep REACH running well.

The REACH “currently online” population has lost a chunk too since GEAR 3 Beta started and Black Ops maps were released. This is normal and you can expect some of that population to start coming back to REACH now.

Time of day has a large effect on MM. The closer to 8-10pm Eastern you play, the more likely you will not have problems. Depends on the playlists you play in too.

We’re at a time right now when there are more and more excellent games being released everyday that pull each of us in different directions. Sure, there may be a smaller MM population if you focus on the statistics, but you will always be able to find folks to play Halo with. For me, even if I play another game, I know I can always go back and enjoy Halo. Plus, I always have a network of friends that are always ready to play Halo. If you need to find others to team up with, just look around you! :stuck_out_tongue: