Is the new trilogy trying to copy the old one

I might get some hate for this, but I have actually noticed some similarities between Halo 4 and Halo CE. Some of the most notable similarities are in the way the game opens ( having Master Chief awaken from cryosleep because his ship is under attack, and having the ship eventually crash land on a Forerunner Shield world)the Covenant being reduced to 4 types, the return of the Halo CE Shade turret, the Covenant speaking alien instead of english, Master Chief unleashing a deadly new enemy been on wiping out humanity (similar to the Flood) 3 way battles, duel wielding gone, fall damage returns, ect.

Halo 4 might not have had the best campaign nor designs but it did have some feeling of the original Combat Evolved, if only slightly, and with the reveal trailer for the Master Chief Collection show casing a new Spartan that may be a replacement to the Chief and the return of the Arbiter, Halo 5 might play out like Halo 2 in the since of having the player switch between the perspective of the Chief and Agent Locke, and so on.

So what do you all think, am I just over thinking this, or is there the possibility that 343 is take their inspiration for the new trilogy off of the old one.

Master Chief never unleashed the Flood or the Prometheans. The shade turret is also a completely new design that looks quite a bit different from Halo CE’s. I think the few similarities are all just coincidental.

343 said they were intentionally making nods to the original triology. Its not meant to be seeing as copying though, just honoring past elements of the franchise.

Sort of like how halo 3 has a warthog run, and halo 2 was meant to have one as well from what I hear.

> ( having Master Chief awaken from cryosleep because his ship is under attack

You forget one thing, Halo 3 ended like that. What were we supposed to open on? Chief having a coffee in the mess hall? :stuck_out_tongue:

343 could have had English talking Covenant and hilarious Grunt commentary, but they went with the system Bungie put in place with Reach: Boring alient-speak that makes for menacing cutscenes but less amusing gameplay.

Don’t get me wrong, the grunts wailing in distress is still amusing, but look up the (rather long) list of things they’ve uttered since CE. The list is massive.

“Feet don’t fail me now!”
“Why is he chasing me!?”
“Thank the nipple, he flees!”
“What did I ever do to you!?”

And so on and so on. You just can’t get that out of Reach, where Bungie started this unfortunate trend, and Halo 4 where 343 decided to continue it.

I’m all for the alien speak in cutscenes, it made Jul in SpOps more intimidating in a way. In gameplay though, I’d prefer the English speak for laughs.

> 343 could have had English talking Covenant and hilarious Grunt commentary, but they went with the system Bungie put in place with Reach: Boring alient-speak that makes for menacing cutscenes but less amusing gameplay. .

But you can have it both ways, menacing alien dialog with English speaking grunts. Let’s not throw out the baby with the bathwater, Elites speaking English was a pretty sizable mistake in Halo 2 (which you’ll probably notice when you can pair up Halo 1 right next to Halo 2 with the MCC this fall.) They should have their own language. Grunts, on the other hand, are better off with English but only if they are the only covies with the mental dexterity and puzzling cultural initiative to learn it. So lets just get back to CE form with this one.

Yes there’s similarities, but overall I enjoyed playing it the first time. Not many complaints.

> > 343 could have had English talking Covenant and hilarious Grunt commentary, but they went with the system Bungie put in place with Reach: Boring alient-speak that makes for menacing cutscenes but less amusing gameplay. .
>
> But you can have it both ways, menacing alien dialog with English speaking grunts. Let’s not throw out the baby with the bathwater, Elites speaking English was a pretty sizable mistake in Halo 2 (which you’ll probably notice when you can pair up Halo 1 right next to Halo 2 with the MCC this fall.) They should have their own language. Grunts, on the other hand, are better off with English but only if they are the only covies with the mental dexterity and puzzling cultural initiative to learn it. So lets just get back to CE form with this one.

I’m pretty sure Elites spoke English in Halo 2 due to having the Arbiter as a playable character.

> I’m pretty sure Elites spoke English in Halo 2 due to having the Arbiter as a playable character.

That’s a creative decision. At no point was is necessary that the arbiter spoke English, subtitles could have easily satisfied.

> > I’m pretty sure Elites spoke English in Halo 2 due to having the Arbiter as a playable character.
>
> That’s a creative decision. At no point was is necessary that the arbiter spoke English, subtitles could have easily satisfied.

Yes, subtitles could have been used, but hearing the Arbiter and his allies speak an alien language would have made him a less relatable character, and it would have killed some of the moments in the game. For example, Master Chief would not have been able to talk to the Arbiter during the Gravemind cutscene. Alternatively, if they were only able to understand each other in that one cutscene, then it would have made no sense for the Master Chief to be unable to understand the other Elites during the rest of the campaign. It would have generated a lot of issues.

If it’s not someone complaining about Halo 4 being “Not a Halo” it’s someone complaining about it being too much like the original. BUNGIE ended Halo 3 with MC in the cryo-tube. They also ended it with the ship floating towards the planet. How do you think Halo 4 should have opened, hmmmm?

> I might get some hate for this, but I have actually noticed some similarities between Halo 4 and Halo CE. Some of the most notable similarities are in the way the game opens ( having Master Chief awaken from cryosleep because his ship is under attack, and having the ship eventually crash land on a Forerunner Shield world)the Covenant being reduced to 4 types, the return of the Halo CE Shade turret, the Covenant speaking alien instead of english, Master Chief unleashing a deadly new enemy been on wiping out humanity (similar to the Flood) 3 way battles, duel wielding gone, fall damage returns, ect.
>
> So what do you all think, am I just over thinking this, or is there the possibility that 343 is take their inspiration for the new trilogy off of the old one.

1. Halo 4 opens in cryosleep because halo 3 ends that way
  2. Covenant was reduced to 4 types because you only fought them for half the game
  3. 3 way battles have been in all the games except Reach
  4. Fall damage is in no way a “nod to CE”
  5. Yes, you are overthinking it.

> > > I’m pretty sure Elites spoke English in Halo 2 due to having the Arbiter as a playable character.
> >
> > That’s a creative decision. At no point was is necessary that the arbiter spoke English, subtitles could have easily satisfied.
>
> Yes, subtitles could have been used, but hearing the Arbiter and his allies speak an alien language would have made him a less relatable character, and it would have killed some of the moments in the game. For example, Master Chief would not have been able to talk to the Arbiter during the Gravemind cutscene. Alternatively, if they were only able to understand each other in that one cutscene, then it would have made no sense for the Master Chief to be unable to understand the other Elites during the rest of the campaign. It would have generated a lot of issues.

So for the sake of a few cinematic lines you drastically change the characterization of the backbone of the covenant infantry? This isn’t a cut and dry “no, bungie had to do this” matter, it’s merely how they chose to approach story telling in Halo 2. They went for the easy, accessible alternative to what we had in Halo 4 (see. Jul’s dialog in SOPS) but they could have just as easily moved in the same direction as 343 later did and not radically altered the tone of an entire species (and for the worse when you get down to gameplay. “I’ll get you!” is a very poor substitute for “Wort Wort Wort!”)

> > > > I’m pretty sure Elites spoke English in Halo 2 due to having the Arbiter as a playable character.
> > >
> > > That’s a creative decision. At no point was is necessary that the arbiter spoke English, subtitles could have easily satisfied.
> >
> > Yes, subtitles could have been used, but hearing the Arbiter and his allies speak an alien language would have made him a less relatable character, and it would have killed some of the moments in the game. For example, Master Chief would not have been able to talk to the Arbiter during the Gravemind cutscene. Alternatively, if they were only able to understand each other in that one cutscene, then it would have made no sense for the Master Chief to be unable to understand the other Elites during the rest of the campaign. It would have generated a lot of issues.
>
> So for the sake of a few cinematic lines you drastically change the characterization of the backbone of the covenant infantry? This isn’t a cut and dry “no, bungie had to do this” matter, it’s merely how they chose to approach story telling in Halo 2. They went for the easy, accessible alternative to what we had in Halo 4 (see. Jul’s dialog in SOPS) but they could have just as easily moved in the same direction as 343 later did and not radically altered the tone of an entire species (and for the worse when you get down to gameplay. “I’ll get you!” is a very poor substitute for “Wort Wort Wort!”)

Weren’t some of the Covenant equipped with translator devices though?

Yo I cannot wait to hear the Elite say Wort Wort Wort in H1 again. First time I heard it I was dying laughing.

So you guys do realize that built-in translation devices are a thing, right? Ever since Cortana invaded the Ascendant Justice’s computers, she essentially deciphered most of the basic Covenant speech patterns allowing for easier understanding of alien languages from the likes of the Brutes, Elites, San 'Shyuum, and Grunts in Halo 2 and beyond (any loremasters wanna back me up on this?). As far as we know for Halo 4 though, 343 dropped the ball and instead of saying they botched the lore, they claimed it was a “creative decision” to make the Covenant more menacing (hah, that’s cute). At least, I’m pretty certain that’s what happened. Either that, or the Covenant Remnant are the southerners of the Covies with too thick of accents for anyone to pick up, which would help explain their casual armor attire.

Whoa there buddy. I’m from the south and you can understand everybody down here just fine (with the exception of cajuns). As for their speech, it might have something to do with the fact that the elites in the storm cov. aren’t elites from Sanghelios. I remember reading somewhere that they’re from one of the moons or another sangheli planet in their system… but hey THAT’S JUST A THEORY! A GAAME THEORY! Thanks for watching! XD

I don’t think so. Halo CE was actually good, unlike H4, so already I see a major discrepancy in your logic.

> So for the sake of a few cinematic lines you drastically change the characterization of the backbone of the covenant infantry? This isn’t a cut and dry “no, bungie had to do this” matter, it’s merely how they chose to approach story telling in Halo 2. They went for the easy, accessible alternative to what we had in Halo 4 (see. Jul’s dialog in SOPS) but they could have just as easily moved in the same direction as 343 later did and not radically altered the tone of an entire species (and for the worse when you get down to gameplay. “I’ll get you!” is a very poor substitute for “Wort Wort Wort!”)

Not just cutscenes, but for gameplay too. In Halo 3 and ODST it’s especially obvious the benefits it has; when a pack of Brutes yells “toss a grenade!” while you’re behind cover, it’s a lot more helpful than “Raar Grarr!” then spontaneously combusting without warning.

I don’t see how hearing another species speaking in English so the audience can understand and better relate to them. Since their supposed to be on your side later on in the story, it wouldn’t really show as much unification if the Elites and Humans weren’t speaking the same language, and having them switch to English at the end of the game or in Halo 3 would’ve felt unnatural.

I find it better personally knowing that that particular Elite wanted to get me, rather than wondering if he means I have a wart or if he wants to give me warts.

> I don’t think so. Halo CE was actually good, unlike H4, so already I see a major discrepancy in your logic.

Nah bro you have it mixed up.