Is the hammer a joke weapon or something?

Seriously, what gives? Its bad… like, it’s REALLY bad. Even when the aiming reticule turns red you’re not guaranteed a 1-hit kill with it, and this “optimal” range is basically punchin’ distance (worse than the sword!)…

I think I’ve only been killed by a hammer maybe once or twice in all my matchmaking games, literally 99% of the time the poor bloke gets shot down before he can even make one swing.

Am I missing something, or is it really as bad as it seems?

While you do happen to raise a valid point…

The Gravity Hammer is not the same as it used to be. It has a faster rate of smashing, and more ammo than previously… But that is balanced through a lower lunging distance.

When you use the Holy Hammer of Gravity, please remember that you can kill without having to lunge…

It’s not “really bad” or bad at all. Go play a game of griff ball. The hammer was never a sure kill when the reticle turned red as far as I can remember and in Halo4 the range was reduce do to sprinting.

Its not a bad weapon, you just have to sprint and get close. It has its uses like moving objects or disorenting vehicles.

Its a pretty rare weapon, but when people see it they usually run the opposite way.

As long as its used in the right hands, it can be a great weapon. I managed to almost get a running riot with it before running out of ammo in a big team match. I also did it to prove a point to a friend I was playing with who shared a similar viewpoint in that it wasn’t worth much.

Hammer is more fun to use, and if a hammer/sword had a match up, the hammer having a very fast swing could hammer slap a guy coming at you with a sword, if timed perfectly.

I get the feeling that 343i werent planning on bringing grifball back in halo 4 during production and threw it in as a last minute change. Its pretty much the only brute weapon to return, despite brutes not even appearing in the game, and it seemed out of place in campaign just sitting there in the Didact’s armory room. They should have just left it out of campaign, like they left out the rocket hog.

Mechanics wise, it doesnt have the same splash damage that it had in halo 3, and you cant really do any trick jumps with it anymore. I know sprint makes the need for assisted lunging redundant, but as a power weapon, it should provide a significant advantage in the close range combat it was created for(so they should add a little more lunge to it). Did I mention it also sounds like a blow-up hammer prize you win at amusement parks?

For halo 5 we need a hammersasination. Raise the hammer above your enemy’s head, slam it down blade side first, split their skull open so deep it gets stuck, put your foot on their back, and rip it out. >:)

In close or buildings ive had alot of good sprees or more with it. I think its fine.

The hammer is a joke now. The sound is pathetic on it and it is hard to get kills with it outside of grifball.

I find that when in matchmaking the following usually occurs: you sprint around the corner at someone. They start shooting, lowering your shields by the point you reach them. You realize you are in danger of being embarrassedly beaten down if you were to close the gap too much and swing too late. So instead you irrationally swing inside the Halo 3 or Reach lunge distance, which is shorter than 4’s by a bit. The result being the enemy being pushed by the edge of the gravity field away from you where they can easily finish you off before you can close the gap again.

I do not like Halo 4’s gravity hammer, especially not for grifball. It used to be in halo 3 that you could use the energy sword against someone with a grav hammer by backstepping as they swung and closing the gap and uppercutting right before they could swing again. It was difficult to do, but rewarding. This is nearly impossible in Halo 4 grifball unfortunately which I find disappointing.

> For halo 5 we need a hammersasination. Raise the hammer above your enemy’s head, slam it down blade side first, split their skull open so deep it gets stuck, put your foot on their back, and rip it out. >:)

But I like my idea, where you knee someone in the stomach/groin area then while they’re bent over flip the hammer around and hit them like they’re a golf ball and send them flying across the map. plus since the hammer and golf club use the same animation and stats it’d be hilarious to see people get punted across the map with a golf club in custom games

I would not be surprised one bit if it is only in for the sake of Grifball.

Of course it’s a joke. Haven’t you heard it strike someone?

I found it only useful for flanking/surprise attacks. However, since the hammer is really big, stealth is not a viable possibility with it. You can stay in a corner, but everyone have access to Promethean Vision, so it’s based on luck, if your enemies use it or not. Stealth perk is seems to be a good fit with it but reallying on a rare ordinance is not a too good option. You can change your class to a stealth one then call down the hammer, but it’s takes time, you need to die and if you cannot suicide then you must give a point to your enemies.

Basically, everything that the hammer can do in CQB with good flanking, that back smack can do well and better.

The Hammer is not a bad weapon, but it’s not worth the time or an ordinance a lot of the times.

The only use i can find for hammers is for stopping vehicles.

> The only use i can find for hammers is to stop vehicles from running me over.

I find that the jump button works well for this.

> > The only use i can find for hammers is to stop vehicles from running me over.
>
> I find that the jump button works well for this.

Can’t flip a vehicle by jumping can you though?

The hammer isn’t exactly worse than the energy sword, it just doesn’t have the range nor the precision, but it has a much larger damage radius than the sword does.

I don’t like the sound of Gravity Hammer.
It just don’t sound like a powerful weapon.

It’s like ‘ping’!

I’d take the H3 or Reach Hammer over the H4 Hammer.

Also, the sound it makes… did the guy making the Sound FX not play any of the previous Halo games or something?

It sounds absolutely bizarre.

> I’d take the H3 or Reach Hammer over the H4 Hammer.
>
> Also, the sound it makes… did the guy making the Sound FX not play any of the previous Halo games or something?
>
> It sounds absolutely bizarre.

sounds like a squeek toy hitting an oil drum