Is the Domain a Precursor Invention?

Just a thought that crossed my mind. Mendicant Bias was able to shutdown the Domain for the Forerunners even it seems even 100,000 years later it is still restricted since Guilty Spark mentions how it is still down in the Terminals. Curious thing to note is that Bias, at the time of the Domain’s closure, had a Halo and the Halos are able to destroy Precursor ruins and technology. With that knowledge in mind, perhaps Bias knew where the Domain would be and used it to cut them off from such a valuable resource?

Since the Domain has access to the ancient knowledge of the Forerunners, it would probably be on Ghibalb, the Forerunner homeworld. Since it was heavily irradiated by an accident in stellar engineering, it was abandoned. Yet Precursor tech is highly resilient, so it probably would’ve survived if it was on Ghibalb until Bias, theoretically, comes along.

Of course I realize that it seems the Terminals in Halo 4 access the Domain in someway, but I have to wonder if it really is the Domain.

Just a thought.

Interesting. But what exactly is the source of the Domain? Is it a Precursor artifact as such, or is the whole Domain spread across the Galaxy without a source?

Also, the Domain having knowledge of ancient Forerunners doesn’t necessarily imply that it is based on Ghibalb. I think the Domain could be a Precursor creation, but I personally think the Primordial had something to do with it. Maybe he showed Bias how to shut it down?

> Interesting. But what exactly is the source of the Domain? Is it a Precursor artifact as such, or is the whole Domain spread across the Galaxy without a source?
>
> Also, the Domain having knowledge of ancient Forerunners doesn’t necessarily imply that it is based on Ghibalb. I think the Domain could be a Precursor creation, but I personally think the Primordial had something to do with it. Maybe he showed Bias how to shut it down?

Well Forerunners can access it with their armor, so I imagine it can be accessed by any location by some sort of link.

> > Interesting. But what exactly is the source of the Domain? Is it a Precursor artifact as such, or is the whole Domain spread across the Galaxy without a source?
> >
> > Also, the Domain having knowledge of ancient Forerunners doesn’t necessarily imply that it is based on Ghibalb. I think the Domain could be a Precursor creation, but I personally think the Primordial had something to do with it. Maybe he showed Bias how to shut it down?
>
> Well Forerunners can access it with their armor, so I imagine it can be accessed by any location by some sort of link.

True, but I’m just wondering if the Domain originates from some singular point.

> > > Interesting. But what exactly is the source of the Domain? Is it a Precursor artifact as such, or is the whole Domain spread across the Galaxy without a source?
> > >
> > > Also, the Domain having knowledge of ancient Forerunners doesn’t necessarily imply that it is based on Ghibalb. I think the Domain could be a Precursor creation, but I personally think the Primordial had something to do with it. Maybe he showed Bias how to shut it down?
> >
> > Well Forerunners can access it with their armor, so I imagine it can be accessed by any location by some sort of link.
>
> True, but I’m just wondering if the Domain originates from some singular point.

I would imagine so. If not, then there should be backups.

> > > > Interesting. But what exactly is the source of the Domain? Is it a Precursor artifact as such, or is the whole Domain spread across the Galaxy without a source?
> > > >
> > > > Also, the Domain having knowledge of ancient Forerunners doesn’t necessarily imply that it is based on Ghibalb. I think the Domain could be a Precursor creation, but I personally think the Primordial had something to do with it. Maybe he showed Bias how to shut it down?
> > >
> > > Well Forerunners can access it with their armor, so I imagine it can be accessed by any location by some sort of link.
> >
> > True, but I’m just wondering if the Domain originates from some singular point.
>
> I would imagine so. If not, then there should be backups.

I did a little poking around on the Interwebs (kind of our own “Domain,” don’t you think?) and it tells me that Mendicant Bias exhausted the Domain with his search for the Precursor’s “Truth.”

“I have exhausted the Domain, and yet I am incomplete. I require service. Are you of service?”

That, of course, doesn’t answer the question of where the Domain originated from, but it answers the question of what happened to it.

Also, what do you think of the Domain terminals on Requiem?

Isn’t the domain like the internet for forerunners?

The Domain is a very interesting piece of the puzzle, It and the Mantle seem to go hand in hand. I found it curious that towards the beginning of the Forerunner Flood war that the Forerunner’s lost contact with it. Was this caused by the sudden appearance of the Flood? Or maybe the Domain isn’t just a internet type system. Maybe it is in itself its own entity and saw that the Forerunner no longer where the ones to uphold the mantle, an ancient AI maybe? Forever destined to catalog the event of the Galaxy through the eyes of its care takers. If it was anything like that why would it not be precursor or older even? Whatever the role of the Domain plays Im willing to bet 100,000,000,000 Internets points, that we find cortana has accessed it and that is why she couldn’t go with the chief.

** As to the possible location maybe multiple instillation’s in slip space?

I believe the Domain has some kind of significant connection to Slipspace. The idea of storing thought and memories in this realm is a lot like Dr. Halsey’s experiment to house A.I. within Slipspace. Then when you factor in the Composer which can take organic life forms and digitize them to an A.I. like existence they all seemingly come together.

Imagine this: Master Chief interacts with Cortana when she’s plugged into his head. But what if Cortana was actually housed in Slipspace and his armor still connected to her in that realm. It would be a lot like the Forerunner’s armor communicating with the Domain. What the Forerunner attempted to do and what Dr. Halsey attempted to do are very similar.

So I believe the Domain isn’t necessarily a creation but another realm like Slipspace. It is an existence which doesn’t have a specific origin or location and we just use technology to access it. Just like how we develop engines which can tear a hole in the universe in order to enter Slispace, we develop technology which can interact with the Domain.

It’s also possible that this is where the Precursors went. How old the Composer is is unknown but it’s possible the Forerunner used it on the Precursors and that’s how they defeated them. Or perhaps the Precursors used it on themselves and those who weren’t Composed and left behind, were easily outnumbered by the Forerunner and driven out of the Galaxy? When Bornstellar was contacted by the Domain, he encountered a being which, although sounded familiar to him, was theorized to not even be Forerunner. So who would it have been? I think he was contact by a Precursor. This is speculation mind you.

So perhaps we have two types of Precursors. We have the Composed side who now exist as non-corporeal entities within the Domain and we have the ones who still exist here with us but live outside the Galaxy. Both believe in unity but view that goal differently. The ones in the Domain believe in the Domain and the others believe in unity through more physical means: The Flood. This would explain why the Primordial claimed to be a Precursor as well as the Flood. He was also seemingly locked up by his own people and the entity that spoke to Bornstellar was extremely concerned about the events unfolding.

They are about to give it powers it never had before. Just as they did ages ago… Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it.

It is now up to Humans and Forerunner to decide what happens next. We can keep fighting each other and succumb to the Flood because we are not ready to face them or we can work together and combine our knowledge in order to reach “Godhood.” The Forerunner knew how to compose organic lifeforms into digital being but then had no idea what to do next. As the Librarian explained, those who were composed soured and became abominations. However Dr. Halsey may have the right idea, (The Assembly was also interested in this), on how to store such A.I. in Slipspace. It’s possible with their shared knowledge that they could find a solution to this problem.

This is all theory of course but it’s been on my mind.