Is the Community KILLING Halo?

Is the community killing Halo? I personally think we are, we have standards that are just dumb and too high, I mean Halo is huge and all, but it’s still Halo.
Everybody gives 343 industries such a hard time when they don’t get EXACTLY what they wan’t. 343 is trying SUPER hard to make a modern shooter while keeping it close to halo, here’s an example, everyone has equal starts, lots of vertical, and competitive maps that feel like maps that could’ve been in Halo 2 While also keeping sprint (but modifying it to make it balanced) new abilities such as ground pound, thrusters, clamper, and slide. There is now SOOOO much more than the typical toss a grenade and get a headshot, there are tons of ways to play. I think this is enough to see that 343 is trying, and we keep giving them grief for a lot of it. but we also have a lot of people that are really into the new direction and gameplay of Halo, such as me. I just hope Spartans don’t get super powers and shooting from their hands later on.

I agree, It’s not 343i that’s killing Halo, It’s the over entitled community.

1000% yes! The Halo community is just a bunch of self entitled children who whine and cry about every little thing.

Well, the thing is, we all think we know what we want for a Halo game. We all think we know what’s best for a Halo game. And deep down we all know that not all of us is going to be happy with whatever kind of Halo 343 chooses to make. These past few years have been hard on fans of Halo. It’s hard not be a little bitter after the decline we’ve been on since 2012. We just need a solid game to get us moving in the right direction. The people that won’t be happy with anything less than their own perfect Halo will likely pack up and move on after Halo 5 releases, assuming it will have a solid release, with plenty of new/improved features to keep the majority satisfied. It doesn’t have to be a perfect Halo, or even the best Halo. It needs to be solid enough to maintain a community, like Halo games were able to prior to Halo 4.

That would imply we don’t know what we want. We do know what we want, 343 is just choosing not to give it to us because they’re trying something else which is fine, but there are many, many more people that are loyal to Halo’s gameplay than there are people loyal to the Halo brand.

Those 80k people that were left playing Halo 4 three months after launch were loyal to the brand. The 300k that left by that time are loyal to the gameplay. And I’m pretty certain the same will happen with Halo 5.

No… 343 is killing Halo :slight_smile:

I’m on board with this.
/support halo

I don’t really believe in the concept of the ‘entitled’ consumer. You’re paying money for something and you expect to get what you pay for. Otherwise you don’t buy it.

I’ve never understood this mentality. A fast food restaurant constantly -Yoinks!- up everyone’s orders and you blame the customers for no longer shopping there? You tell them that they should lower their standards? No, I think the restaurant should improve their quality of service.

However, let’s say ONE customer gets their order wrong, starts complaining on the internet, and the restaurant decides to fire half their staff just because of one guy. That’s not the restaurant’s fault, that’s the fault of management for blindly listening to the complaints of one dude.

> 2533274819567236;5:
> That would imply we don’t know what we want. We do know what we want, 343 is just choosing not to give it to us because they’re trying something else which is fine, but there are many, many more people that are loyal to Halo’s gameplay than there are people loyal to the Halo brand.
>
> Those 80k people that were left playing Halo 4 three months after launch were loyal to the brand. The 300k that left by that time are loyal to the gameplay. And I’m pretty certain the same will happen with Halo 5.

That statement there kind of urks me, cause it feels(Key word here) like you’re implying that those people couldn’t have genuinely like Halo 4 for its gameplay, as much as the people that left like past Halos for their gameplay. Simplifying the fact that they kept playing as Brand-loyalty kind of de-values what could honestly have been appreciation for the game.

And tbh Halo 5 is already looking to be leagues ahead of what Halo 4 was.

This type of thread is kind of amazing in the way it blames the community for being negative while at the same time making inflammatory implications and outright dismissing of large sections of the community.

Have complaints? “Well your standards are just too dumb and high” Don’t like sprint? “Its modified and balanced now”(so what are you complaining about?) Like Classic Halo? “All it is is throwing a grenade and getting a headshot” Criticize a particular addition or change? “You are just giving 343 grief.”

Rather than accepting the community for what it is, a diverse group with a wide range of opinions on a variety of subjects, an unfortunate number of people are content to generalize and dismiss anyone they perceive to be negative. Don’t like an artistic change? Clearly you don’t like anything and must also be the same person posting about sprint, or ADS, or whatever else, You hater you.

These types of threads are far more negative and community dividing than most complaint threads combined.

> 2533274819302824;8:
> I don’t really believe in the concept of the ‘entitled’ consumer. You’re paying money for something and you expect to get what you pay for. Otherwise you don’t buy it.
>
> I’ve never understood this mentality. A fast food restaurant constantly -Yoinks!- up everyone’s orders and you blame the customers for no longer shopping there? You tell them that they should lower their standards? No, I think the restaurant should improve their quality of service.
>
> However, let’s say ONE customer gets their order wrong, starts complaining on the internet, and the restaurant decides to fire half their staff just because of one guy. That’s not the restaurant’s fault, that’s the fault of management for blindly listening to the complaints of one dude.

Pretty much this.

I honestly believe it’s a two way street. It’s not just on the community and it’s not just on the developers. Both have to do their parts. Now I believe it’s up to us to give feedback, but the developers need to look at feedback subjectively and figure out what really needs to be implemented. Just because something we don’t like gets implemented doesn’t mean we should burn the game and blame 343i for destroying Halo.

To be honest we’re both in the wrong. People have done a lot of over reacting over the years. However I also believe 343i have taken some steps that IMO were not needed.

> 2533274912254619;9:
> > 2533274819567236;5:
> > That would imply we don’t know what we want. We do know what we want, 343 is just choosing not to give it to us because they’re trying something else which is fine, but there are many, many more people that are loyal to Halo’s gameplay than there are people loyal to the Halo brand.
> >
> > Those 80k people that were left playing Halo 4 three months after launch were loyal to the brand. The 300k that left by that time are loyal to the gameplay. And I’m pretty certain the same will happen with Halo 5.
>
>
> That statement there kind of urks me, cause it feels(Key word here) like you’re implying that those people couldn’t have genuinely like Halo 4 for its gameplay, as much as the people that left like past Halos for their gameplay. Simplifying the fact that they kept playing as Brand-loyalty kind of de-values what could honestly have been appreciation for the game.
>
> And tbh Halo 5 is already looking to be leagues ahead of what Halo 4 was.

I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. I was more implying that while those people may have genuinely liked the gameplay, they’re also the ones saying things like, “All you haters are killing Halo” because they’re loyal to the brand while the “haters” are loyal to gameplay they’re not getting anymore.

And it is people like the OP that I believe are killing the community. Seriously, we’re complaining about complaining now? Someone makes some constructive criticism and they’re the bad guy? Yes there are some people who go over the top, but that doesn’t mean the whole community is bad. It’s threads like this that really do everyone no good. Think about, does this thread really have a purpose? How does this thread contribute to anything in any way?

No, nothing’s killing Halo, it’s seeing great sales still in its older age and still generates more hype than any other exclusive on Xbox or Playstation. Halo’s doing just fine, there’s a reason Microsoft sees the franchise as still being big in 30 years. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-wants-halo-to-last-another-30-years/1100-6424217/

> 2533274819302824;8:
> I don’t really believe in the concept of the ‘entitled’ consumer. You’re paying money for something and you expect to get what you pay for. Otherwise you don’t buy it.
>
> I’ve never understood this mentality. A fast food restaurant constantly -Yoinks!- up everyone’s orders and you blame the customers for no longer shopping there? You tell them that they should lower their standards? No, I think the restaurant should improve their quality of service.
>
> However, let’s say ONE customer gets their order wrong, starts complaining on the internet, and the restaurant decides to fire half their staff just because of one guy. That’s not the restaurant’s fault, that’s the fault of management for blindly listening to the complaints of one dude.

Unfortunately, and to keep on track with your analogy; in this case, people are complaining about their food before it’s even gotten to their table… How about we taste the food “before” we murder the chef.

> 2533274916994520;15:
> > 2533274819302824;8:
> > I don’t really believe in the concept of the ‘entitled’ consumer. You’re paying money for something and you expect to get what you pay for. Otherwise you don’t buy it.
> >
> > I’ve never understood this mentality. A fast food restaurant constantly -Yoinks!- up everyone’s orders and you blame the customers for no longer shopping there? You tell them that they should lower their standards? No, I think the restaurant should improve their quality of service.
> >
> > However, let’s say ONE customer gets their order wrong, starts complaining on the internet, and the restaurant decides to fire half their staff just because of one guy. That’s not the restaurant’s fault, that’s the fault of management for blindly listening to the complaints of one dude.
>
>
> Unfortunately, and to keep on track with your analogy; in this case, people are complaining about their food before it’s even gotten to their table… How about we taste the food “before” we murder the chef.

wrong, i knew what i was getting prior to halo 4 releasing, i knew how halo played, i knew how those mechanics would affect how halo is played, then when i got to play it it was exactly like how i thought it was going to play, that being a game i had little to no interest in. halo 5 has made improvements, though i feel i should be able to mention what i don’t like and why i don’t like them, primarily because it is fundamentally different to halo pre-halo 4.

some people want change that builds on what he had, some people want change that’s different to what we had, some people value different parts of the franchise that interested them so the changes made have no effect on how they view the franchise, some people value things that are not there any more or in limited form to what it was prior to 343 halo and affects their interest in the game.

> 2533274795070582;6:
> No… 343 is killing Halo :slight_smile:

Why is there a smiley at the end? Literally cancer.

> 2533274819302824;8:
>
>

You’re comparing two totally different kinds of products. An artistic product such as a video game as so many variables that can go in any direction depending on the creator’s passion. On the other hand a car will alway be a car. You can expect more power and better looks each year but the product will globally be the same.

Half of the people who way they’ll boycott Halo 5 have a legitimate reason (no split-screen). The other half is borderline childish (T rating, art style, rocket launcher skin, etc).

1. I stand by what I said.
  2. This thread is over a month old.

> 2533274819302824;8:
>
>

After Halo 4 and the approval of the MCC 343i/Microsoft and now with 343i decisions with Halo 5 of course the community will be outraged its not their fault that the game to them disappointed or felt like they could of done something better. All I see is that they should give more options not remove of course that’s up to 343i but I can see why some think the community brings the game down. Although without us the franchise wouldn’t be a success as it was, some ask for too much and in my opinion I just expect more since it is the newest game.