Is the BR going to return to its utility role

From how it has been described by some of the players who have demoed Halo 4, it seems to be that the DMR is able to beat the BR at anything other than close range. What’s the point of even having a BR if it is just going to be defeated in its own range?
Unless the DMR is trying to fill the utility role, but that weapon has been described as having too slow a rate of fire to be viable in close range situations.

It’s called using weapons with strategy. Basicly the DMR is a very deadly weapon to use at the long range distance, but it will be quiet useless when up close and personal.

The BR on the other hand is a monster at close range combat, but when it comes to long range is not all that great.

Both have their pro’s, and their con’s in the field of battle, but they do have a purpose to use, depending on who is carrying which weapon.

> It’s called using weapons with strategy. Basicly the DMR is a very deadly weapon to use at the long range distance, but it will be quiet useless when up close and personal.
>
> The BR on the other hand is a monster at close range combat, but when it comes to long range is not all that great.
>
> Both have their pro’s, and their con’s in the field of battle, but they do have a purpose to use, depending on who is carrying which weapon.

Having nothing but niche weapons like that would be fine. In Quake.

We only carry 2 weapons in Halo. Yes, there is strategy in picking your weapons, but a utility weapon is still necessary to fill the gaps your other weapon cannot.

Utility huh…Well then that I don’t know much about. We do have the use of explosives, Snipers…Oh and that new rail gun but I don’t know much about that other than what has been described as a high velocity explosive round… Basically, I don’t know of which weapon would fill in that role to be honest.

> From how it has been described by some of the players who have demoed Halo 4, it seems to be that the DMR is able to beat the BR at anything other than close range. What’s the point of even having a BR if it is just going to be defeated in its own range?
> Unless the DMR is trying to fill the utility role, but that weapon has been described as having too slow a rate of fire to be viable in close range situations.

The weapons effective range is not an indication of whether a gun works well or not. Especially in a game where it takes a while to kill somebody and a sprint speed that could put Usain Bolt to shame. You could get into cover before somebody has fired a second shot.

> > From how it has been described by some of the players who have demoed Halo 4, it seems to be that the DMR is able to beat the BR at anything other than close range. What’s the point of even having a BR if it is just going to be defeated in its own range?
> > Unless the DMR is trying to fill the utility role, but that weapon has been described as having too slow a rate of fire to be viable in close range situations.
>
> The weapons effective range is not an indication of whether a gun works well or not. Especially in a game where it takes a while to kill somebody and a sprint speed that could put Usain Bolt to shame. You could get into cover before somebody has fired a second shot.

In the past, effective range has actually indicated how well a weapon performs. If the BR cannot beat the DMR at medium-long range, or the AR close-up, what is the point of even having the BR?

> > It’s called using weapons with strategy. Basicly the DMR is a very deadly weapon to use at the long range distance, but it will be quiet useless when up close and personal.
> >
> > The BR on the other hand is a monster at close range combat, but when it comes to long range is not all that great.
> >
> > Both have their pro’s, and their con’s in the field of battle, but they do have a purpose to use, depending on who is carrying which weapon.
>
> Having nothing but niche weapons like that would be fine. In Quake.
>
> We only carry 2 weapons in Halo. Yes, there is strategy in picking your weapons, but a utility weapon is still necessary to fill the gaps your other weapon cannot.

Not really, Call of Duty, Counterstrike and Battlefield do fine without a primary utility weapon. But as far as things go the BR will probably be the leading utility weapon in most matches and then the DMR will have a smaller role in BTB maps and for scout players.

• Note that I’m not saying turn Halo into Call of Duty

I was making this point to someone the other day.

It seems to me that the DMR is going to be far better than the BR, since it gets the mid-long ranges. This means the DMR is still going to be able to be used at all 3 ranges, where the BR wont be able to hit targets at long range, the DMR will still be able to be used accurately at close range; whether the BR out-performs it or not.

The fact is, the DMR gets 3 effective ranges and the BR only 2 and since the BR has recoil, compared to a small amount of bloom, likelihood is that the DMR will be easier to control, more accurate and more effective in nearly all situations.

This makes the DMR the utility weapon and the BR a niche weapon, which in my opinion, negates the purpose of the BR. I would rather the DMR was out and the BR was in, it just always felt better for some reason.

> Not really, Call of Duty, Counterstrike and Battlefield do fine without a primary utility weapon. But as far as things go the BR will probably be the leading utility weapon in most matches and then the DMR will have a smaller role in BTB maps and for scout players.
>
> * Note that I’m not saying turn Halo into Call of Duty

I’m not much of a Counter Strike player, but CoD and BF have assault rifles as utility weapons. For example, the M16A3 in Battlefield 3. Usable at any range, but bested by certain weapons in their niches. That is ignoring the fact that military and arena shooters can be compared.

As it was described from playtesters, the DMR is better than the BR in the majority of situations. This is unacceptable.

Although, since in Halo 4 we apparently have the Assault Carbine and Covenant Carbine as well as the BR and DMR, perhaps the utility position will be filled by all 4 weapons being interchangable throughout gameplay. If all 4 weapons were balanced correctly, it could make things interesting in terms of play style and weapon niches.

> Although, since in Halo 4 we apparently have the Assault Carbine and Covenant Carbine as well as the BR and DMR, perhaps the utility position will be filled by all 4 weapons being interchangable throughout gameplay. If all 4 weapons were balanced correctly, it could make things interesting in terms of play style and weapon niches.

Of course. But based upon what we know, it sounds like 343 is loading the game with filler weapons.

I LOVE THE BR

And can’t wait to see how it works with everything…

That is all

> > Not really, Call of Duty, Counterstrike and Battlefield do fine without a primary utility weapon. But as far as things go the BR will probably be the leading utility weapon in most matches and then the DMR will have a smaller role in BTB maps and for scout players.
> >
> > * Note that I’m not saying turn Halo into Call of Duty
>
> I’m not much of a Counter Strike player, but CoD and BF have assault rifles as utility weapons. For example, the M16A3 in Battlefield 3. Usable at any range, but bested by certain weapons in their niches. That is ignoring the fact that military and arena shooters can be compared.
>
> As it was described from playtesters, the DMR is better than the BR in the majority of situations. This is unacceptable.

I guess and I agree that the BR should be the main utility weapon because the DMR is too overpowered at this current stage of development; from what I’ve heard the DMR is bolt action and takes 1 body shot and 1 head shot to kill. So players can run around with a DMR, place 1 shot on you and switch to pistol to headshot.

So they need to nerf the DMR.

No weapon should be suited for every possible situation. If any weapon was suited for every situation, then why use any other? I’m sure they are trying to give each rifle its own very distinct characteristics so that people actually attempt to use them all effectively. It makes sense to me that the BR would beat the DMR in close combat. Mid-range I can see being a neutral ground where the better shooter regardless of rifle comes out on top. As for long range it makes sense to me as well for the DMR to beat the BR due to its precise single shot accuracy. But some things that we can’t even factor in yet are things like DMR firing speed, if the DMR has recoil or not, BR burst speed and accuracy of said burst. Plus, they haven’t said jack squat about how the carbine and the new assault carbine are going to function. For all we know at this point, the Carbine could be the new utility weapon.

The Carbine and BR have functioned well together in H2/3 with one killing in 7 shots and the latter killing in 4 bursts, but with the 5 shot DMR coming into the mix I can see some strange things happening.

@DeadTriton-- A bolt action DMR thats a 2 shot kill? that seems WAAAAY too far off from the original design. No way thats true. At that point its a sniper rifle.

> > > Not really, Call of Duty, Counterstrike and Battlefield do fine without a primary utility weapon. But as far as things go the BR will probably be the leading utility weapon in most matches and then the DMR will have a smaller role in BTB maps and for scout players.
> > >
> > > * Note that I’m not saying turn Halo into Call of Duty
> >
> > I’m not much of a Counter Strike player, but CoD and BF have assault rifles as utility weapons. For example, the M16A3 in Battlefield 3. Usable at any range, but bested by certain weapons in their niches. That is ignoring the fact that military and arena shooters can be compared.
> >
> > As it was described from playtesters, the DMR is better than the BR in the majority of situations. This is unacceptable.
>
> I guess and I agree that the BR should be the main utility weapon because the DMR is too overpowered at this current stage of development; from what I’ve heard the DMR is bolt action and takes 1 body shot and 1 head shot to kill. So players can run around with a DMR, place 1 shot on you and switch to pistol to headshot.
>
> So they need to nerf the DMR.

Who writes your jokes?

Crying for nerfs when the build that was played is already months old and you yourself haven even seen the guns in action? seems a bit premature. I see the DMR as a poor-mans sniper rifle (think CE Pistol) but with slower RoF to balance it. Undeniably powerful but not good close in. Its hard to say if it is OP or not because we don’t know the range at which it becomes more effective than the BR. it could be that the BR is better on more enclosed maps, and the DMR is better on maps with many longer sight lines. personally I would welcome the idea of each map having a different “utility” weapon. It prevents the game from being monotonous and actually forces players to learn different weapons and tactics rather than simply mastering the one gun to rule them all.

I’ll admit that a one shot weapon switch for kill could be OP, but i would like a source on the damage. I would expect a 4-5 shot kill.

I could see the Covenant Carbine being the new utility weapon, considering it’s anything like the previous games. It’s single shot could mean that it’s more accurate than the BR over long range but less accurate than the DMR. At close range it would be better than the DMR because of it’s higher rate of fire, but it would get beaten by the BR. In short: good at every range, though not the best at any particular range.

I could see it working.

Also, if the playtesters think the BR is underpowered as opposed to other weapons I’m confident that 343i will fix the issue. I mean that’s what playtesters are for, right? Don’t worry.

> No weapon should be suited for every possible situation. If any weapon was suited for every situation, then why use any other?

Because it isn’t the best in every situation. Jack of all trades, master of none. You have one central weapon to defend yourself in any situation, with the rest of the sandbox focusing on a single niche. Being that you can only carry 2 weapons at a time, it is foolish to have, for example, a Shotgun, and nothing to compliment its weaknesses.

> I’m sure they are trying to give each rifle its own very distinct characteristics so that people actually attempt to use them all effectively. It makes sense to me that the BR would beat the DMR in close combat. Mid-range I can see being a neutral ground where the better shooter regardless of rifle comes out on top. As for long range it makes sense to me as well for the DMR to beat the BR due to its precise single shot accuracy.

That would be great. But is not what has been described in the recent playtest.

> But some things that we can’t even factor in yet are things like DMR firing speed, if the DMR has recoil or not, BR burst speed and accuracy of said burst. Plus, they haven’t said jack squat about how the carbine and the new assault carbine are going to function. For all we know at this point, the Carbine could be the new utility weapon.

So many MLG wannabes would cry at a Covenant utility weapon.
I know we have very limited information so far. From what we know, Having a DMR/AR, or DMR/Magnum completely ruins the need for the BR.

> The Carbine and BR have functioned well together in H2/3 with one killing in 7 shots and the latter killing in 4 bursts, but with the 5 shot DMR coming into the mix I can see some strange things happening.

Carbine was a great weapon, I agree. But being a carbine, it seems much more suitable for close-range engagements. Something like a recoil-operated, faster DMR.

No matte what weapon combo I used for Halo 2 and 3 the BR was always the other weapon… BR and Sniper, BR and Shotty, BR and Plasma Pistol, BR and AR. It is the bull pup of Halo weapons =]

> No matte what weapon combo I used for Halo 2 and 3 the BR was always the other weapon… BR and Sniper, BR and Shotty, BR and Plasma Pistol, BR and AR. It is the bull pup of Halo weapons =]

Well it is a bullpup rifle. :stuck_out_tongue: