Is the Battle Rifle too powerful?

It seems once or twice every match I find myself cursing at the alarming strength (at nearly any distance) of the Battle Rifle. Is it just me or does this feel like an overpowered weapon? Especially in Warzone, someone with a good vantage point and a BR could easily rack up 10-15 kills without even using any power weapons and just keep popping off players with the BR. Kudos to those players I suppose, and I myself have used this method to rack up some quick REQ levels, BUT I really feel like the BR should be a 5 shot kill instead of a 4 shot kill, because of the following:

• Even though the DMR fires much more rapidly, one could argue there’s no need for the weapon period if the BR is already so powerful and available early game. - If the BR’s power is lowered, this would also make the DMR so much more desired and advantageous than it currently is. - If the BR was a 5 shot kill, it would put more emphases on players having to use other weapons/REQs, which makes the match stand out and the game more interesting in my opinion. - At a 5 shot kill, you wouldn’t find yourself being scoped cross map by a BR as often when you have no idea where they’re even coming from. Leave the long range kills for the DMRs. It just makes more sense that a single shot would be more accurate then the spread of a three-round burst over a longer distance.
  • Speaking of spread, if lowering the damage is too much to ask, then open the spread up so that the weapon feels substantially different and is used for more short to mid-short range. This could open possibilities for a 4 shot kill close range, and a 5-6 shot kill at mid range.This is all just based off what I’ve gathered but I know I can’t be the only one, share your thoughts!
  • Mont

The Battle Rifle can kill with 4 shots, but only if every single bullet in each burst connects, and the last shot goes to the head. People use it not because it’s much more powerful than other precision weapons (it isn’t) but because they’re familiar with it. Ever since Halo 2, the Battle Rifle has been the dominant weapon, mainly because those games had unbalanced weapon sandboxes with weapons so terrible, the BR seemed god-like. The Lightrifle is actually stronger than the BR, as it can kill with 4 shots just like the BR and it gets a buff when the scope is used that makes it kill in just 3 shots. But I’ve seen people walk past a Lightrifle without picking it up, and I never see anyone walk past a Battle Rifle without picking it up unless they already have one.

Familiarity plays a massive role, I agree. And yea the 4 shot is only talking about perfect kills, but for me it still feels too powerful. Nice info about the Lightrifle, I didn’t realize that!

its a friggn br, its supossed to trump every outher presishion weapon at mid range outside of snipers. ( & rare - leggendary reqs ) its always ben like that, you must be new to halo.

br beats dmr

It takes skill to use it though to its full potential.

> 2533274920491645;4:
> its a friggn br, its supossed to trump every outher presishion weapon at mid range outside of snipers. ( & rare - leggendary reqs ) its always ben like that, you must be new to halo.

Horrible spelling mistakes aside, I think I understand what you’re trying to say, and honestly I feel like your wrong. Apart from maybe leveling the playing field for weaker players (and that’s a stretch to even defend) why would a something as standard as a loadout weapon (something everyone has access to) be made to trump other weapons including high REQ cost power weapons? Think about what you’re saying man; with all the mods that you can apply to the gun in Warzone, you really think this thing isn’t too powerful?

Try to keep an open mind next time.

Just thought of this, I play Big Team Battle almost exclusively and the Lightrifle and DMR are much more popular there than in Warzone. There are long lines of sight and distant targets that the BR just can’t reach consistently on maps like Guillotine, Basin, and Deadlock. But the other guns can regularly take them down at sniper range. But one of the biggest differences between BTB and Warzone is that Warzone lets players choose loadout weapons with attachments and different scopes/sights, while BTB only has default variants. So the BR itself doesn’t need to be nerfed, but maybe the BRs with enhanced scopes should be toned down a bit.

I actually prefer the DMR to the Halo 5 BR. The Halo 2 BR is on another level though. But I don’t think its too powerful at all. I’ve beaten out players using BRs with my pistol on many occasions and vice versa. It really just depends on the player and the situation. To be honest sometimes I’m so on with my pistol I don’t even bother picking up the BR. This seems like another one of those threads where some noob is just getting owned so he tries to blame it on an over powered weapon instead of his actual ability, or lack there of…

> 2533274839860482;3:
> Familiarity plays a massive role, I agree. And yea the 4 shot is only talking about perfect kills, but for me it still feels too powerful. Nice info about the Lightrifle, I didn’t realize that!

I agree with you, I love it since halo2

Nah it’s fine, Halo 5 is one of the most balanced Halo games to date.

> 2533274800788426;9:
> I actually prefer the DMR to the Halo 5 BR. The Halo 2 BR is on another level though. But I don’t think its too powerful at all. I’ve beaten out players using BRs with my pistol on many occasions and vice versa. It really just depends on the player and the situation. To be honest sometimes I’m so on with my pistol I don’t even bother picking up the BR. This seems like another one of those threads where some noob is just getting owned so he tries to blame it on an over powered weapon instead of his actual ability, or lack there of…

And this seems like another post from someone trying to sound hard just because they found something they disagree with.
Listen man, the first half of your comment does hold a lot of validity, the pistol fires faster than the BR and beats it almost every time without mods, I don’t even use the BR in Warzone anymore because I prefer the pistol as my secondary. But then I kept reading your post and laughed. Whats up with kids nowadays? All this hate and no personality. It’s almost like he has something to prove.

ive seen worse if your wanting a nerf go to bungie.net

> 2533274922964546;13:
> ive seen worse if your wanting a nerf go to bungie.net

This actually made me chuckle, kudos bro haha

> 2533274839860482;12:
> > 2533274800788426;9:
> > I actually prefer the DMR to the Halo 5 BR. The Halo 2 BR is on another level though. But I don’t think its too powerful at all. I’ve beaten out players using BRs with my pistol on many occasions and vice versa. It really just depends on the player and the situation. To be honest sometimes I’m so on with my pistol I don’t even bother picking up the BR. This seems like another one of those threads where some noob is just getting owned so he tries to blame it on an over powered weapon instead of his actual ability, or lack there of…
>
>
> And this seems like another post from someone trying to sound hard just because they found something they disagree with.
>
> Listen man, the first half of your comment does hold some validity, the pistol fires faster than the BR and beats it almost every time without mods, I don’t even use the BR in Warzone anymore because I keep the pistol as my secondary. But then I kept reading your post and laughed. Whats up with kids nowadays? All this hate and no personality. It’s almost like he has something to prove.

Nah. I’ve just seen so many of these exact threads created where the OP complains about a weapon being too powerful. This game is clearly the most balanced Halo in regards to weapons. After re-reading your original post I see you’re mainly referring to warzone, so I guess I came at you too hard. I’m not a fan of war zone and stick to Slayer mainly as its more competitive, but I can see how upgraded BRs could seem to powerful to you, but a normal BR is fine.

> 2533274800788426;15:
> > 2533274839860482;12:
> > > 2533274800788426;9:
> > > I actually prefer the DMR to the Halo 5 BR. The Halo 2 BR is on another level though. But I don’t think its too powerful at all. I’ve beaten out players using BRs with my pistol on many occasions and vice versa. It really just depends on the player and the situation. To be honest sometimes I’m so on with my pistol I don’t even bother picking up the BR. This seems like another one of those threads where some noob is just getting owned so he tries to blame it on an over powered weapon instead of his actual ability, or lack there of…
> >
> >
> > And this seems like another post from someone trying to sound hard just because they found something they disagree with.
> >
> > Listen man, the first half of your comment does hold some validity, the pistol fires faster than the BR and beats it almost every time without mods, I don’t even use the BR in Warzone anymore because I keep the pistol as my secondary. But then I kept reading your post and laughed. Whats up with kids nowadays? All this hate and no personality. It’s almost like he has something to prove.
>
>
> Nah. I’ve just seen so many of these exact threads created where the OP complains about a weapon being too powerful. This game is clearly the most balanced Halo in regards to weapons. After re-reading your original post I see you’re mainly referring to warzone, so I guess I came at you too hard. I’m not a fan of war zone and stick to Slayer mainly as its more competitive, but I can see how upgraded BRs could seem to powerful to you, but a normal BR is fine.

I can agree with that, the BR without weapon attachments is passable. I guess the more I think about it I just don’t realize why they put out so many different weapon modifications to the loadouts, and with all the new options, I feel like it takes away from the classic power weapons. Plus, I’m not the type of player who sneaks around and plays overly tactically, I like to run in the place and blow as much stuff up as I can or clear out a room with a hammer/rocket launcher, that’s Halo to me.

I think I got too defensive towards you because of the ‘noob/looking for someone to blame’ comment, but thanks for new post. No hard feelings man.

> 2533274920491645;5:
> br beats dmr

Yes and no, The DMR is supposed to be superior, but it all comes down to skill, i have to agree the DMR feels underpowered, but again, a skilled dmr player will beat a skilled br player. However the reason why so many people favor the br is because they are more familiar with it. With the base DMR being available from req lvl 6, and most other DMR’s from req 7 or higher. This is a bit unfair in comparison to the power of the 2. Personally i think the br should NOT get a nerf (well perhaps make the scope more inacurate) but instead the DMR should get a slight buff.

> 2533274808953271;11:
> Nah it’s fine, Halo 5 is one of the most balanced Halo games to date.

Agreed. although Reach wasnt too bad either.

> 2533274913498763;17:
> > 2533274920491645;5:
> > br beats dmr
>
>
> Yes and no, The DMR is supposed to be superior, but it all comes down to skill, i have to agree the DMR feels underpowered, but again, a skilled dmr player will beat a skilled br player. However the reason why so many people favor the br is because they are more familiar with it. With the base DMR being available from req lvl 6, and most other DMR’s from req 7 or higher. This is a bit unfair in comparison to the power of the 2. Personally i think the br should NOT get a nerf (well perhaps make the scope more inacurate) but instead the DMR should get a slight buff.
>
>
> > 2533274808953271;11:
> > Nah it’s fine, Halo 5 is one of the most balanced Halo games to date.
>
>
> Agreed. although Reach wasnt too bad either.

Agreed on both accounts, great post FaZe

BR is not overpowered. It’s perfect. I will even venture to say that the BR, Pistol, DMR, Light Rifle, and Carbine are all perfect just the way they are and should not change.

I’ve out shot people using a BR with my pistol many times. And I’ve also been using a BR and been out shot by someone with a pistol just as many times. With BR you’ve pretty much gotta land all the bullets from all 4 shots to get the 4 shot kill. A 5 shot kill would be a terrible change to the gun. It would make the DMR overpowered. It would honestly make the BR the most useless out of all the rifles.

The light rifle is probably the most overpowered of them all, but there is only one of them on all the maps maybe besides Fathom if my memory is correct. The 3 shot kill while scoped is insane but with a good BR or pistol you can stop that from happening by hitting them and making them zoom out. All the rifles have roles, and changing one of them would completely throw off the game. DMR is harder to kill a BR at close range, but will have the advantage at longer ranges (go play BTB on Deadlock and use a DMR). I could go over all the advantages/disadvantage of each but I’ll spare you.

as far as precision rifles go, and maybe even ALL weapons for that matter do not need to change. If anything at all, spawn times or weapons on map are the only things that needs to be tweaked on this game. I.e. Them taking off sword and shotgun on overgrowth was perfect. In that scenario, the problem wasn’t that the sword or shotgun needed tweaking, it was just the fact that they did not work on that map that warranted changes. I honestly don’t have any problems with the current placements of the rifles on the maps at the moment, I’m just saying if they’re gonna make changes, I hope it is only limited to that. Not the weapons themselves.

i dont think it is i can never get a kill with it but i always switch the magnum for it in my reqs