Is sprint tap-on/tap-off, or held?

To sprint in Halo 4, for those that have played the game… is it tap-on/tap-off like in Reach or do you hold the sprint button?

This might be a stupid question, but the Recon control scheme looks perfect, it’s just a matter of how sprint functions. If it’s tap-on/tap-off that would be ideal, of course.

Pretty sure you just have to tap it.

Having X as Sprint was immediately a stupid decision, having it be held would be asinine.

Sprint should be on RB and it should be held. Having to take our thumb off the analog stick just to stop running is stupid. If we are sprinting and someone pops out in front of you, it would be much easier to have your aim ready to fix on the guy before you’ve even stopped sprinting, rather than to have to stop running first. Having to stop running gives the enemy a split-second longer to start shooting us. Its a very small burden, but its still there. Also, its just not a comfortable control layout for X to be sprint anyway. Having Sprint on a bumper would be fully comfortable, easily controllable, and we don’t have to sacrifice another function like aim to activate or dis-activate it. Its simply the more logical choice.

I’m baffled as to why we wouldn’t get a Classic control scheme in the first place anyway. That’s usually one of the general expectations of a new play-style, its just something that should be put in by default, there shouldn’t even have to be a thought about it, it should just happen.

> Having X as Sprint was immediately a stupid decision, having it be held would be asinine.
>
> Sprint should be on RB and it should be held. Having to take our thumb off the analog stick just to stop running is stupid. If we are sprinting and someone pops out in front of you, it would be much easier to have your aim ready to fix on the guy before you’ve even stopped sprinting, rather than to have to stop running first. Having to stop running gives the enemy a split-second longer to start shooting us. Its a very small burden, but its still there. Also, its just not a comfortable control layout for X to be sprint anyway. Having Sprint on a bumper would be fully comfortable, easily controllable, and we don’t have to sacrifice another function like aim to activate or dis-activate it. Its simply the more logical choice.
>
> I’m baffled as to why we wouldn’t get a Classic control scheme in the first place anyway. That’s usually one of the general expectations of a new play-style, its just something that should be put in by default, there shouldn’t even have to be a thought about it, it should just happen.

I’ve been a Recon user since Halo 3 and I was a bit skeptical at the decision of having sprint be X so I did some testing in Reach using the Bumper Jumper control scheme which also has Sprint on X and I gotta say, it actually works just as good on X as it does on LB. Also, it opens up LB for something that actually needs you to aim while using like AAs such as JP or HS. Plus, the only time you actually won’t be aiming while sprinting is that split second where your thumb is off RS to press X and enable sprint before you move it back instantly and can control what direction you’re going. I know a lot of Recon users (like myself) got used to sprinting w/ LB, but honestly, X is just as good if not better for the layout overall.

If you don’t believe me then try it out yourself in Reach.

> > Having X as Sprint was immediately a stupid decision, having it be held would be asinine.
> >
> > Sprint should be on RB and it should be held. Having to take our thumb off the analog stick just to stop running is stupid. If we are sprinting and someone pops out in front of you, it would be much easier to have your aim ready to fix on the guy before you’ve even stopped sprinting, rather than to have to stop running first. Having to stop running gives the enemy a split-second longer to start shooting us. Its a very small burden, but its still there. Also, its just not a comfortable control layout for X to be sprint anyway. Having Sprint on a bumper would be fully comfortable, easily controllable, and we don’t have to sacrifice another function like aim to activate or dis-activate it. Its simply the more logical choice.
> >
> > I’m baffled as to why we wouldn’t get a Classic control scheme in the first place anyway. That’s usually one of the general expectations of a new play-style, its just something that should be put in by default, there shouldn’t even have to be a thought about it, it should just happen.
>
> I’ve been a Recon user since Halo 3 and I was a bit skeptical at the decision of having sprint be X so I did some testing in Reach using the Bumper Jumper control scheme which also has Sprint on X and I gotta say, it actually works just as good on X as it does on LB. Also, it opens up LB for something that actually needs you to aim while using like AAs such as JP or HS. Plus, the only time you actually won’t be aiming while sprinting is that split second where your thumb is off RS to press X and enable sprint before you move it back instantly and can control what direction you’re going. I know a lot of Recon users (like myself) got used to sprinting w/ LB, but honestly, X is just as good if not better for the layout overall.
>
> If you don’t believe me then try it out yourself in Reach.

That split second can still screw you over in a few different scenarios. RB is currently occupied by Action/Reload, which is good to be able to aim with as well, but I really don’t think it would have as many possible negative repercussions as Sprint would on X.

I’m sure there are a fair amount of people who could go both ways, which is why a Classic should be made. How long could it take to assign a new control scheme which is almost the same as a pre-existing one? I wouldn’t put it longer than 2 minutes, that includes opening the program and opening the file as well, just my assumption anyway.

> That split second can still screw you over in a few different scenarios. RB is currently occupied by Action/Reload, which is good to be able to aim with as well, but I really don’t think it would have as many possible negative repercussions as Sprint would on X.
>
> I’m sure there are a fair amount of people who could go both ways, which is why a Classic should be made. How long could it take to assign a new control scheme which is almost the same as a pre-existing one? I wouldn’t put it longer than 2 minutes, that includes opening the program and opening the file as well, just my assumption anyway.

There would be much worse repercussions having AA on X instead of Sprint on it. The thing is that everything works better when being able to aim with it, but there are only 2 bumpers to choose from so it’s all about picking which 2 things are the most important to have while being able to aim depending upon your playstyle (which in my opinion would be jump and AA). In Recon’s case, RB to reload is mainstay of that particular layout so it can’t be changed, but w/ LB’s choice being between AA and Sprint (since jump and melee have stayed the same on Recon) and some AAs require to be held down when in use as opposed to sprint only needing to be tapped then AA is the logical choice for that position. For anyone who says “I will never be using a hold-down AA like JP or HS” then you are just pushing all of the other Recon users to the side by assuming they won’t as well.

Would a classic layout have been good to have, yes, but so would like 10 others and custom controls as well, but the game goes gold in a few weeks and there isn’t enough time to test out every possible glitch that could arise from a new control scheme (like Halo 2’s BXR) Frankie said this himself. So, no, it won’t take 2 minutes to do (at least in reality).

> > That split second can still screw you over in a few different scenarios. RB is currently occupied by Action/Reload, which is good to be able to aim with as well, but I really don’t think it would have as many possible negative repercussions as Sprint would on X.
> >
> > I’m sure there are a fair amount of people who could go both ways, which is why a Classic should be made. How long could it take to assign a new control scheme which is almost the same as a pre-existing one? I wouldn’t put it longer than 2 minutes, that includes opening the program and opening the file as well, just my assumption anyway.
>
> There would be much worse repercussions having AA on X instead of Sprint on it. The thing is that everything works better when being able to aim with it, but there are only 2 bumpers to choose from so it’s all about picking which 2 things are the most important to have while being able to aim depending upon your playstyle (which in my opinion would be jump and AA). In Recon’s case, RB to reload is mainstay of that particular layout so it can’t be changed, but w/ LB’s choice being between AA and Sprint (since jump and melee have stayed the same on Recon) and some AAs require to be held down when in use as opposed to sprint only needing to be tapped then AA is the logical choice for that position. For anyone who says “I will never be using a hold-down AA like JP or HS” then you are just pushing all of the other Recon users to the side by assuming they won’t as well.
>
> Would a classic layout have been good to have, yes, but so would like 10 others and custom controls as well, but the game goes gold in a few weeks and there isn’t enough time to test out every possible glitch that could arise from a new control scheme (like Halo 2’s BXR) Frankie said this himself. So, no, it won’t take 2 minutes to do (at least in reality).

Who said anything about X being for AAs? That’s the next level of stupid. AAs can stay where they are, on LB. Sprint is what I consider to be the other most important, so I’d put it on RB.

In making a Classic scheme, all they would have to do is take Recon and past it in a new slot, just reverse two buttons. How much testing could that take?

> If we are sprinting and someone pops out in front of you, it would be much easier to have your aim ready to fix on the guy before you’ve even stopped sprinting, rather than to have to stop running first. Having to stop running gives the enemy a split-second longer to start shooting us. Its a very small burden, but its still there.

Simply incorrect. To come out of Sprint the second d option is to use the left stick, take it out of fully pushed forward. This costs you no time at all. So X to sprint is only ever going to be required to start sprinting. Try it out on Reach, I never usethe AAs button to come out of sprint, the left stick is much more natural.

> > If we are sprinting and someone pops out in front of you, it would be much easier to have your aim ready to fix on the guy before you’ve even stopped sprinting, rather than to have to stop running first. Having to stop running gives the enemy a split-second longer to start shooting us. Its a very small burden, but its still there.
>
> Simply incorrect. To come out of Sprint the second d option is to use the left stick, take it out of fully pushed forward. This costs you no time at all. So X to sprint is only ever going to be required to start sprinting. Try it out on Reach, I never usethe AAs button to come out of sprint, the left stick is much more natural.

Using LT is not a good option either. It forces you to start moving in another direction rather than continuing onward smoothly. It is best to be able to keep moving in one trail of movement rather than making a sharp turn in your tracks. Doing the sharp turn or even slight pause that breaking sprint with LT forces you to do is a terrible thing to do, it gives the enemy a better shot at you, and depending on the player handling their controls, you could have to slightly re-orient your self so you can shoot the guy. Basically, a player that fumbles his thumb accidentally, or is just unlucky, is going to be screwed in this situation, unless the enemy sucks.

I don’t think this should be a cared about issue at all because a Classic control scheme should be basic. It doesn’t seem right that this has to be an issue at all, if we just had a Classic control scheme we wouldn’t be seeing another thread based on the Recon scheme at least once a day.

You are completely over exaggerating, its non issue / thread.

Im not 100% but I think you just push it and you sprint until shot or you run out.

I played Halo 4. It’s Hold.

> I played Halo 4. It’s Hold.

Really? It was toggable (tap on/tap off) for me. I was playing on Bumper Jumper.

> I played Halo 4. It’s Hold.

Pleas tell us your just trolling.

> > I played Halo 4. It’s Hold.
>
> Pleas tell us your just trolling.

I’m pretty sure it’s tap (Holding it is absurd). Loads of people said it’s a tap.