Is sprint Halo?

Like it or hate it?

A side question for those who want faster movement than older titles: why not just increase base player speed?

The poll numbers at the time this thread was linked to ghost’s sprint and flinch thread:

28%
12%
2%
8%
47%

As you can see a majority would rather not have sprint and less than a third are really die hard fans of it here on waypoint.

I love Sprinting in Halo. I wish Halo CE - Halo 3 had it. Would’ve made it easier to run away from players shooting you.

I don’t mind sprint in Halo 4 because of stoping power and the maps accommodate it, but I understand the frustration with it in Reach.

Reach annoyed the hell out of me, I kinda enjoy it now.

I actually really like it. I can’t go back to Halo 3 anymore because it feels too slow. Even in Reach, I can’t choose anything but Sprint as an AA.

> I don’t mind sprint in Halo 4 because of stoping power and the maps accommodate it, but I understand the frustration with it in Reach.

You know, when i first heard about sprinting in Reach, i expected it to be like Sprinting in Halo 4. But unfortunately, it had to be an AA. IMO, that was a mistake, b/c i had such a hard time choosing which AA was better especially on BTB maps.

Sprint is something vere tricky. On one hand it helps you make a quick getaway if you are in trouble or it can also make it easier to help a teamate in trouble, but it also leads to (and forgive the blunt explenation) stupid gameplay where people just run around all over the place using nades and melee. I love it in BTB but 4v4 slayer and objective gmaetypes would be much better off without it.

> I actually really like it. <mark>I can’t go back to Halo 3 anymore because it feels too slow. Even in Reach, I can’t choose anything but Sprint as an AA.</mark>

runs up and shakes hand
Thank you for saying that.

There’s little reason not to have it anymore. We’ve seen halo reach and 4 function very smoothly with it. Now instant respawn? I don’t like that. That is not Halo.

Yeah as much as I always think it will be fun to go back to H3 it is painfully slow.

I wouldn’t mind Sprint in Halo 5. As long as it only existed in one gametype. And this gametype was cut before the game shipped.

Sprint allows for too much running away, even with the stopping power. It is nothing but a defensive ability. It does not punish death, since you can just sprint back to your position anyway as soon as you spawn. It does nothing but add chaos to the game, and is not necessary for Halo. Unless Halo is going to embrace features every other game with sprint has, it shouldn’t even think about Sprint. Or at least give us the option to disable it.

> Yeah as much as I always think it will be fun to go back to H3 it is painfully slow.

to every one saying this: wouldn’t simply increasing base player speed alleviate this? Without having to add a mechanic that others find displeasing?

Depends on the gametype, map, and playlist.

4v4 slayer? No.

Where to begin…

First, there’s the blatant illogic in its current implementation. They add sprint to make the game faster. Then they increase map size so sprint doesn’t speed up the game despite saying they want sprint to speed up the game. Finally, they add stunning which removes the ability to sprint. With all these downsides that go directly against its purpose, why even put it in the game to begin with?

Why does stun even affect people running towards or parallel to you anyways? That isn’t preventing them from escaping, that’s preventing them from moving anywhere. That harms the game, that doesn’t punish bad play, it punishes normal play.

Oh, and then they make it a base player trait because “it was picked more often than other abilities”. First off, I doubt that’s true. Second, could it be because the other abilities mostly sucked in comparison? And okay, maybe that wouldn’t be so bad, except they also make it impossible to disable it.

Second, there’s this -Yoink- mentality it promotes. People being so used to Halo 3’s slow gameplay and Halo Reach’s sprint that they believe sprint is the only solution. That sprint is the only way to speed up gameplay. That sprint is the best way to speed up gameplay even.

Quite frankly, that’s all a load of -Yoink-. Faster killtimes speed up gameplay. Smaller maps speed up gameplay. More ways to traverse maps speed up gameplay. Simply increasing base speed also speeds up gameplay. In fact, since sprint is a short term burst of speed instead of a long term one it allows people to escape from fights, thus slowing down gameplay.

Now finally, the question: Do I hate sprint? I dislike sprint. I dislike it a lot. It’s pointless, it doesn’t do anything useful, all it does is seem to get me killed for stupid reasons and force me to lower my weapon for 50% of the match, while very rarely allowing me or my enemies to escape a fight.

But it’s tolerable, it’s okay in BTB where it at least has some justifiable reason to exist, and it isn’t anywhere near as significant as other issues the game has.

> I love Sprinting in Halo. I wish Halo CE - Halo 3 had it. Would’ve made it easier to run away from players shooting you.

This is the very reason I dislike sprint. Games are too often comprised of chasing players who are running away. And it gives you an easy ‘out’ for making the mistake of challenge an opponent when you shouldn’t have.

I think sprint works in CoD because the kill times are much faster. One doesn’t simply challenge, get three shots in, and then sprint away. If they’re losing the battle then they’re dead.

Reach’s Version: No. Making it optional had some maps make it OP due to no slowdown, or mandatory due to long distances.

Halo 4’s Version: Yes. Maps are intentionally designed around it, allowing for all ranges of weaponry to exist on one map. Slowdown mechanic helps balance it out, and lets players select Armor abilities that would be ignored due to low defensive capabilities(such as Hologram).

H4’s sprint is fine, so long as maps are designed with them in mind.

> Where to begin…
>
> First, there’s the blatant illogic in its current implementation. They add sprint to make the game faster. Then they increase map size so sprint doesn’t speed up the game despite saying they want sprint to speed up the game. Finally, they add stunning which removes the ability to sprint. With all these downsides that go directly against its purpose, why even put it in the game to begin with?
>
> Why does stun even affect people running towards or parallel to you anyways? That isn’t preventing them from escaping, that’s preventing them from moving anywhere. That harms the game, that doesn’t punish bad play, it punishes normal play.
>
> Oh, and then they make it a base player trait because “it was picked more often than other abilities”. First off, I doubt that’s true. Second, could it be because the other abilities mostly sucked in comparison? And okay, maybe that wouldn’t be so bad, except they also make it impossible to disable it.
>
> Second, there’s this -Yoink!- mentality it promotes. People being so used to Halo 3’s slow gameplay and Halo Reach’s sprint that they believe sprint is the only solution. That sprint is the only way to speed up gameplay. That sprint is the best way to speed up gameplay even.
>
> Quite frankly, that’s all a load of Yoink!. Faster killtimes speed up gameplay. Smaller maps speed up gameplay. More ways to traverse maps speed up gameplay. Simply increasing base speed also speeds up gameplay. In fact, since sprint is a short term burst of speed instead of a long term one it allows people to escape from fights, thus slowing down gameplay.
>
> Now finally, the question: Do I hate sprint? I dislike sprint. I dislike it a lot. It’s pointless, it doesn’t do anything useful, all it does is seem to get me killed for stupid reasons and force me to lower my weapon for 50% of the match, while very rarely allowing me or my enemies to escape a fight.
>
> But it’s tolerable, it’s okay in BTB where it at least has some justifiable reason to exist, and it isn’t anywhere near as significant as other issues the game has.

I don’t know what to make of this, but if Sarah Palmer saw this, she would simply say:
"Spartans don’t need a Science report, they just need a simple answer".
jk…I say Sprint Stays. It makes the game much more exciting rather than to “walk” your way through Halo 3 MM. It makes the game boring to just walk around. Sprinting gives players the challenges to follow the other player.

> > I love Sprinting in Halo. I wish Halo CE - Halo 3 had it. Would’ve made it easier to run away from players shooting you.
>
> This is the very reason I dislike sprint. Games are too often comprised of chasing players who are running away. And it gives you an easy ‘out’ for making the mistake of challenge an opponent when you shouldn’t have.
>
> I think sprint works in CoD because the kill times are much faster. One doesn’t simply challenge, get three shots in, and then sprint away. If they’re losing the battle then they’re dead.

Its better with Sprint, b/c it “FORCES” players to move from their spot and to follow them. It’s the challenging part. I rather have that then “walk” around trying to find players like in Halo 3, which i thought was completely boring, but if you don’t like sprint, then fine, its your choice of judgement, and i respect that.

> > I love Sprinting in Halo. I wish Halo CE - Halo 3 had it. Would’ve made it easier to run away from players shooting you.
>
> I think sprint works in CoD because the kill times are much faster. One doesn’t simply challenge, get three shots in, and then sprint away. If they’re losing the battle then they’re dead.

CoD is a tactical game. CoD is a game that is entirely about positioning and getting the drop on your enemy. The combat doesn’t matter as anyone you aim at dies pretty much instantly.

Things like Sprint, Prone, and jumping over obstacles make sense in CoD because the game revolves around being skillful at positioning instead of being skillful in combat, and utilizing each movement ability to their full potential. CoD is based around knowing when to move, and when to camp.

Halo is different. Halo shares some similarites and does put emphasis on positioning, but in a different form.

> Sprinting gives players the challenges to follow the other player.

How is that challenging?

I almost don’t even want to reply regardless, all of your posts I’ve seen revolve around making the game easier and keeping imbalanced things like Camo in the game.

This is not to discredit your position, but I am just frustrated with you.

> I rather have that then “walk” around trying to find players like in Halo 3, which i thought was completely boring,

You’re just proving my mentality point. We all realize Halo 3 was slow. Even the people against sprint come to the same realization.

That does not make sprint necessary.

I like sprint and I think it should stay. It makes for some exciting gameplay.

> I love Sprinting in Halo. I wish Halo CE - Halo 3 had it. Would’ve made it easier to run away from players shooting you.

No offense, but I am not a fan of people like you.

I understand the mechanics of Sprint in 4. The maps are tailored around it. 1-3 worked without Sprint because the maps and movement speeds were properly tailored to accommodate each other.

However, as people have already said, the whole point of Sprint for some people is to -Yoinking!- run away from a fight, which we’re not exactly fond of. Yes, it makes sense to do whatever you can to live, but when you turn games like Ragnarok into Campfest 2013 because everyone sprints behind a rock when their shields pop, people like me get irritated.

Don’t get me wrong. Games like that are intense. However, they’re seldom fun. They’re slow and tedious.