Is Reach the first Halo w/bloom?

I think Halo 3 had bloom in it. I think I remember Bungie say that bloom existed in H3, it just didn’t show in the aim reticule.
Here’s a quote, with the link.
“A really good tip with the SMG is to tap the trigger like it’s an uncharged Plasma Pistol. You can get ranges equal to a BR but up to three times more ammo. I believe the reason for this “Glitch” is because the game is programmed to decrease the accuracy the longer the button is held. Releasing the button cancels the effect, and releasing the button often keeps the accuracy at it’s highest level.–B63 02:31, 15 August 2011 (UTC)”
http://halowiki.net/p/SMG_Tips

“You know how the assault rifle gets inaccurate when you fire full auto? Same with the smg. With the smg, the muzzle starts walking upwards, so if you want to kill people outside of close range, BURST FIRE! The muzzle also walks slower if you shoot in bursts.”

Halo: Reach had visual bloom you could control.
The other games had spread.

Similar, but not the same.

> Halo: Reach had visual bloom you could control.
> The other games had spread.
>
> Similar, but not the same.

Can you please explain the difference, in detail? Convince me that the difference is more than semantics. In both 3 and Reach, the longer you hold the trigger, the more the accuracy lowers. When you stop firing, then fire again, the accuracy returns to normal. Weather or not it’s visually displayed in the aim reticule means nothing to me. As far as I’ve seen, they are mechanically the same.

First, you mean bloom on precision weapons right?

Technically the CE Magnum had bloom but that was only if you held the trigger down which no good players did.

> First, you mean bloom on precision weapons right?
>
> Technically the CE Magnum had bloom but that was only if you held the trigger down which no good players did.

Nope. Not bloom. The expansion was purely based on holding the trigger or not, never rate of fire. Your shot was either accurate while tapping the trigger, or inaccurate while holding it. This also only applied to automatic weapons.

> > First, you mean bloom on precision weapons right?
> >
> > Technically the CE Magnum had bloom but that was only if you held the trigger down which no good players did.
>
> Nope. Not bloom. The expansion was purely based on holding the trigger or not, never rate of fire. Your shot was either accurate while tapping the trigger, or inaccurate while holding it. This also only applied to automatic weapons.

I see what you are saying, I hadn’t considered that. The net result is the same though. ROF goes up, accuracy goes down. Thanks for pointing that out.

> > > First, you mean bloom on precision weapons right?
> > >
> > > Technically the CE Magnum had bloom but that was only if you held the trigger down which no good players did.
> >
> > Nope. Not bloom. The expansion was purely based on holding the trigger or not, never rate of fire. Your shot was either accurate while tapping the trigger, or inaccurate while holding it. This also only applied to automatic weapons.
>
> I see what you are saying, I hadn’t considered that. The net result is the same though. ROF goes up, accuracy goes down. Thanks for pointing that out.

Well, no. Because you could fire the Pistol at max RoF with no penalty. As long as you did not hold down the trigger before the next shot fired, you were fine.

> First, you mean bloom on precision weapons right?
>
> Technically the CE Magnum had bloom but that was only if you held the trigger down which no good players did.

No, I’m talking about the automatic weapons. I know the precision weapons didn’t have bloom. My point is, bloom did exist in H3. Bungie didn’t just create bloom for Reach, they pulled it from something that already existed in H3. They just tweaked it, gave it a visual cue, and added it to the precision weapons. That’s all I’m sayin’.

Bloom has existed before reach, but was never visually represented in the hud until reach.

Spread is basically the base size of the reticle and thus accuracy and does not alter with rate of fire. Bloom is the one that alters. A no bloom no spread gun would be lazer accurate at any rate of fire and any range which is silly.

The h1 pistol is a strange case and not a good example for this debate. Its basically bugged i think, because they meant it to lose accuracy both if you held the trigger down or spammed it like a madman, but you can trigger tap to get max ROF and max accuracy at the same time which makes no sense. I think this is actually fixed in halo PC so that it loses accuracy properly with high ROF of any type. Might be wrong though cant remember.

> Bloom has existed before reach, but was never visually represented in the hud until reach.
>
> Spread is basically the base size of the reticle and thus accuracy and does not alter with rate of fire. Bloom is the one that alters. A no bloom no spread gun would be lazer accurate at any rate of fire and any range which is silly.
>
> The h1 pistol is a strange case and not a good example for this debate. Its basically bugged i think, because they meant it to lose accuracy both if you held the trigger down or spammed it like a madman, but you can trigger tap to get max ROF and max accuracy at the same time which makes no sense. I think this is actually fixed in halo PC so that it loses accuracy properly with high ROF of any type. Might be wrong though cant remember.

It was not changed in Halo CE. Also, modding the rate of fire for certain weapons for me to properly tap fire them has the weapon retain accuracy no matter how fast it was. This is also repeated in every other Halo title before Reach.

Didn’t the SMG have recoil instead of bloom? The recoil kicked the reticle up if you just keep firing. (or was that the halo 2 smg?)

Anyway I miss the SMG, I would be a lot happier if I got killed by SMG’s than the AR.

> Didn’t the SMG have recoil instead of bloom? The recoil kicked the reticle up if you just keep firing. (or was that the halo 2 smg?)
>
> Anyway I miss the SMG, I would be a lot happier if I got killed by SMG’s than the AR.

Both SMGs had a large amount of spread along with recoil. While the recoil was much more pronounced in Halo 2, it was toned down in Halo 3. Your reticle still climbed up the screen, but after longer bursts.

> > Halo: Reach had visual bloom you could control.
> > The other games had spread.
> >
> > Similar, but not the same.
>
> Can you please explain the difference, in detail? Convince me that the difference is more than semantics. In both 3 and Reach, the longer you hold the trigger, the more the accuracy lowers. When you stop firing, then fire again, the accuracy returns to normal. Weather or not it’s visually displayed in the aim reticule means nothing to me. As far as I’ve seen, they are mechanically the same.

Bloom is from when bungie coined the term of ‘blooming reticule’ (in either a vidoc or a news post, I could find it but I can’t be bothered), when describing their visual mechanism that real-time displays an accurate approximation of where your bullets may go, based on changes to your spread from movement, rate of fire, etc. against the default bullet dispersion of that weapon. In fact, all of these spread modifiers are different values, and have been in the Blam! engine since gen 3 (h3+), ‘bloom’ was added to visualize all of these changes happening to your default spread.

No other halo game had that. They had spread, some weapons (namely automatics) had a rate of fire modifier on the spread, but none had the visual indicator, and that is what bloom is, not the spread or the modifiers to it. If I removed the blooming reticule, your bullets would still go wild like normal, you just wouldn’t get that approximation of where they might go.

No semantics, they are completely different things, one even incorporates the other into it’s own function. Idiots on b.net and around the web started saying ‘bloom’ to mean the visual in addition to every spread value, which makes no sense at all, and 343 conformed to their misnomer for whatever undoubtedly dumb reason they had.