Is it too late?

As much as it pains me to say it…is the Halo franchise dead?

I’m a Halo fanboy, I love Halo. It’s pretty much the only game I play. I never liked shooters, or xbox until halo. I pre-ordered Halo: CEA the day I heard it was available for pre-order.

But with GoW being the first Xbox franchise to make a billion dollars and sell 3 million units in its first week (source: Video Game News & Reviews | Engadget) It seems that the halo phenomenon may be over. The population of Reach was DESTROYED at the release of GoW, what’s going to happen when the new CoD and Battlefield come out? Halo 3’s pricetag just got brought down to 8 dollars on the gamestop website, while CoD4 is still 17.99 (Halo is a better game, but they were released around the same time, just using cod for reference)

I’m not saying the Halo games are bad, I’m just saying is the franchise that was once a HUGE franchise, now just seems to be another game.

Is there even a point to create a Halo 4,5,6 now if people are obsessed with the stereotypical war game with classes, and 3 bullet kills? Is Halo stuck in the past?

I’m going to buy Halo 4, because I love Halo. Do I think it’s going to sell well? Probably not due to the horrendous build up, which is essentially non-existent. Will it be a good game? Yes, no doubt in my mind…but that doesn’t mean it will appeal to the masses like it used to.

just ranting :confused:

We have a year before Halo 4 comes out. I bet you there will be a very good advertising campaign for that game.
Halo is not dead as long as you and I still play it a long with everyone else here. Reach was not the most popular game of the series…so it turned a lot of people off. Hopefully Halo 4 will stay true to the original trilogy game play( a long with some minor changes to mix it up a little) and the people who left will return.

I’ve had day dreams of Halo 4 resembling the environments of CE, scope and encounters of H2, and map control (going places affect AI) of H3.

Rest assured, 343 will restore Halo to it’s glory days, that is, before Bungie -Yoinked!- it up by tightening the route (invisible barriers are closer, kill barrier), making the AI cheap and unfair while severely reducing friendly AI effectiveness, loosening the scripting resulting in even worse AI driving navigation (they weren’t that bad in H2), and using scripting too much (especially when killing off enemies and sending in uber op Pelicans).

> I’ve had day dreams of Halo 4 resembling the environments of CE, scope and encounters of H2, and map control (going places affect AI) of H3.
>
> Rest assured, 343 will restore Halo to it’s glory days, that is, before Bungie Yoink! it up by tightening the route (invisible barriers are closer, kill barrier), making the AI cheap and unfair while severely reducing friendly AI effectiveness, loosening the scripting resulting in even worse AI driving navigation (they weren’t that bad in H2), and using scripting too much (especially when killing off enemies and sending in uber op Pelicans).

bungie really didnt screw anything up, they just took to making reach from a slightly different perspective. as for reduced AI effectiveness: IT IS AN FPS! YOU ARE THE ONE PLAYING! NOT THE COMPUTER! is the computer supposed to hold your hand and guide you across the street like a helpless child? no -.- and to avoid bad AI driving, play co-op. if you cant play co-op, go outside and find some friends. Reach wasnt as good as it couldve been, buts that nothing to blame on bungie. we should respect bungie for all the great games over the years, not a few screwups that whiners didnt like.

> > I’ve had day dreams of Halo 4 resembling the environments of CE, scope and encounters of H2, and map control (going places affect AI) of H3.
> >
> > Rest assured, 343 will restore Halo to it’s glory days, that is, before Bungie Yoink! it up by tightening the route (invisible barriers are closer, kill barrier), making the AI cheap and unfair while severely reducing friendly AI effectiveness, loosening the scripting resulting in even worse AI driving navigation (they weren’t that bad in H2), and using scripting too much (especially when killing off enemies and sending in uber op Pelicans).
>
> bungie really didnt screw anything up, they just took to making reach from a slightly different perspective. as for reduced AI effectiveness: IT IS AN FPS! YOU ARE THE ONE PLAYING! NOT THE COMPUTER! is the computer supposed to hold your hand and guide you across the street like a helpless child? no -.- and to avoid bad AI driving, play co-op. if you cant play co-op, go outside and find some friends. Reach wasnt as good as it couldve been, buts that nothing to blame on bungie. we should respect bungie for all the great games over the years, not a few screwups that whiners didnt like.

The AIs not supposed to guide you or play for you but it shouldn’t hinder you either. The amount of times I’ve had AIs kill me due to extremely stupid and just plain bizarre actions is ridiculous.

On topic: We’re constantly seeing games break sales records, Halo could easily do the same. Honestly it’s still doing well, there are far less successful franchises that have many more games and they’re still going. I think you’re blowing things way out of proportion, especially with you build up comment. The game was only announced recently, it’s not coming out for a year, we’ll see it receive heavy promotion when it’s closer to release. Right now they’re keeping things to themselves and I think that’s the best approach.

Nothing is truly dead until it doesn’t sell.

There are now thousands of games to choose from, god knows how many are FPS titles. So people are just occupied playing something else.

How can inanimate objects be dead if they were never alive?

You have to understand that Reach was released over a year ago, with multiple popular franchises being released on it’s anniversary. Reach was been under an enormous amount of criticism, and no matter what can be done, there is too much competition for a year-old game to compete with. The Halo franchise has little response to the likes of GoW3, BF3, and MW3 (CE:A isn’t intended to be competition), so the population is going to naturally decrease. MW2 came out a year ago, and their population has been steadily decreasing over time as well; it’s just something that happens to older games.

I don’t want to get into the “it” game factor within the gaming industry, however a game isn’t dead until it stops selling, and no one virtually plays it. Reach still has a large population, 3rd largest on Xbox Live. It isn’t dead what. However, this time next year might be a different story.

New games come and go, but Halo always remains.

> bungie really didnt screw anything up, they just took to making reach from a slightly different perspective.
>
> as for reduced AI effectiveness: IT IS AN FPS! YOU ARE THE ONE PLAYING! NOT THE COMPUTER! is the computer supposed to hold your hand and guide you across the street like a helpless child? no -.-
>
> and to avoid bad AI driving, play co-op. if you cant play co-op, go outside and find some friends.
>
> Reach wasnt as good as it couldve been, buts that nothing to blame on bungie. we should respect bungie for all the great games over the years, not a few screwups that whiners didnt like.

Reach was their true vision.

Not only do I have qualms with allied AI, but enemy AI. Besides, I wanted them to be supportive like in ODST, not getting in the way as eben gibon king put it. It’s not like I depend on them. In fact, I don’t. They only serve the purpose of providing infinite ammo when I swap a weapon with them.

I don’t really have a problem with their driving. But others do. Besides, I have more of a problem dealing with the fact that the passengers get out when I leave my vehicle and get in the driver’s seat. I have to position the vehicle so that they can’t get in the driver’s seat. Else, they will drive away and get themselves killed.

But it is. They were disposed to implement what was in Reach. It was their true vision. And it was already in Halo 3 to some extent.

It will die soon or later, that’s just how life works.

I think there’s a lot more competition for Halo now, and it needs to be better to compete, the numbers don’t lie, it’s not the most played at the moment, but I feel that’s down to Reach disappointing some players, I have faith 343 can turn it around though.

If 343i advertises Halo 4 more and it is effective like CoD’s Ads then it will sell well. Marketing is all they need and from what Im seeing now they need to improve. If they can start marketing Halo 4 more around January 2011 with new trailers, TV Ads, etc. Then it will be successful. Now I am not saying put too many adds out early but more frequent.

In my opinion this post is ridiculous.
By this idea, no new games different than those listed can persevere and rise.

I’m pretty sure Gears isn’t the first Xbox franchise to earn a billion dollars, considering: "To date, sales in the Halo franchise have eclipsed $2.3 billion. "

> I’m pretty sure Gears isn’t the first Xbox franchise to earn a billion dollars, considering: "To date, sales in the Halo franchise have eclipsed $2.3 billion. "

That’s quite right but according to reports Gears is the first Xbox 360 exclusive to break a billion this generation,

Info here,

Well, GoW3 was quite anticipated, and Reach, even if it was good, it didn’t really exceed most expectations. But i’m sure that will certainly change with the release of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and Halo 4. About the Halo Reach Overall Population: After the release of GoW3, it descended to less than 20.000 aprox. Leaving me, and a lot of other players, with the sole option of playing MM with Random players (Bad Randoms is Bad).

After a week, it had ascended to more than 50.000, and yesterday was higher than 80.000 aproximately, Why? Most players wanted to play GoW; They played Multiplayer, they Finished the Campaign, and after a few days, many players stopped returned to Reach, and started playing Both again, as a rutine, happens everytime a game is released.

And no, it’s not late at all. Just have some faith on 343i, pal’. Halo is in good hands, and we can’t leave Halo like Bungie did with Marathon Infinity. That would suck…