Is it safe to post here?

After reading the rules and being told by multiple people about the strictness of these forums I have decided to give it at least one thread and see how it goes.

My question to you is, is it even worth posting here? If there is such a strict policy towards the rules, one could argue that every post in every thread on every board could be against the ToS and could be ban worthy, upwards of 2000+ years. According to multiple (30 or more) people, they have been banned for things such as disagreeing with a person, not flaming, but a simple “Hey I’m not a fan of [insert], [insert reason why]” and try to get a discussion going. Seeing as that is what keeps a forum going is basic discussion and debate.

I understand the need of moderators, I understand that they are there to keep the peace and to keep things from getting too out of hand, but there is also a need for a little bit of leeway or else people will stop coming and posting and the forum will die.

Its always safe here in GD.

If you find yourself getting into a fight walk away. Engaging will usually get both parties in trouble.

Keep it clean and you’ll be fine.

Just step away. Makes things easier, and avoids unwanted confrontation.
Just be clean, friendly, and helpful. You should be just fine.
Edit: Dang it Deluca, you beat me to it :slight_smile:

> After reading the rules and being told by multiple people about the strictness of these forums I have decided to give it at least one thread and see how it goes.
>
> My question to you is, is it even worth posting here? If there is such a strict policy towards the rules, one could argue that every post in every thread on every board could be against the ToS and could be ban worthy, upwards of 2000+ years. <mark>According to multiple (30 or more) people, they have been banned for things such as disagreeing with a person, not flaming, but a simple “Hey I’m not a fan of [insert], [insert reason why]” and try to get a discussion going.</mark> Seeing as that is what keeps a forum going is basic discussion and debate.
>
> I understand the need of moderators, I understand that they are there to keep the peace and to keep things from getting too out of hand, but there is also a need for a little bit of leeway or else people will stop coming and posting and the forum will die.

That implies they are always telling the full story and not leaving key details out as to why they were banned, which hasn’t happened yet.

> > After reading the rules and being told by multiple people about the strictness of these forums I have decided to give it at least one thread and see how it goes.
> >
> > My question to you is, is it even worth posting here? If there is such a strict policy towards the rules, one could argue that every post in every thread on every board could be against the ToS and could be ban worthy, upwards of 2000+ years. <mark>According to multiple (30 or more) people, they have been banned for things such as disagreeing with a person, not flaming, but a simple “Hey I’m not a fan of [insert], [insert reason why]” and try to get a discussion going.</mark> Seeing as that is what keeps a forum going is basic discussion and debate.
> >
> > I understand the need of moderators, I understand that they are there to keep the peace and to keep things from getting too out of hand, but there is also a need for a little bit of leeway or else people will stop coming and posting and the forum will die.
>
> That implies they are always telling the full story and not leaving key details out as to why they were banned, which hasn’t happened yet.

Let alone the true moderator side of the story.

OP, I’ve been perma banned, and yet, here I am, I have over 6000 posts under my belt, the rules are easy to follow, and if you’re only getting your opinion from people who’ve been banned from these forums, keep in mind, they’re most likely giving you a very biaist point of view of the forums. Also the Moderators do give people some leeway, but if they act like they’re not even worth it, like some members have, then yes, they’re not going to give members some leeway.

> > > After reading the rules and being told by multiple people about the strictness of these forums I have decided to give it at least one thread and see how it goes.
> > >
> > > My question to you is, is it even worth posting here? If there is such a strict policy towards the rules, one could argue that every post in every thread on every board could be against the ToS and could be ban worthy, upwards of 2000+ years. <mark>According to multiple (30 or more) people, they have been banned for things such as disagreeing with a person, not flaming, but a simple “Hey I’m not a fan of [insert], [insert reason why]” and try to get a discussion going.</mark> Seeing as that is what keeps a forum going is basic discussion and debate.
> > >
> > > I understand the need of moderators, I understand that they are there to keep the peace and to keep things from getting too out of hand, but there is also a need for a little bit of leeway or else people will stop coming and posting and the forum will die.
> >
> > That implies they are always telling the full story and not leaving key details out as to why they were banned, which hasn’t happened yet.
>
> Let alone the true moderator side of the story.
>
> OP, I’ve been perma banned, and yet, here I am, I have over 6000 posts under my belt, the rules are easy to follow, and if you’re only getting your opinion from people who’ve been banned from these forums, keep in mind, they’re most likely giving you a very biaist point of view of the forums. Also the Moderators do give people some leeway, but if they act like they’re not even worth it, like some members have, then yes, they’re not going to give members some leeway.

Same here, came back from the abyss, won CmotW, contributed to the community, became helpful, fought way less. I didnt keep it clean, I knew the rules but the forums were a different place at launch. Lessons learned, lessons learned.

You’re not alone with those feelings. However saying much else might be risky. And if you ask here then I might think about Admiral Akabar.

Just be extra careful when you post. Even if it doesn’t seem too bad. Take extra care. Staying a bit vague might help.

It isn’t that bad here.

> It isn’t that bad here.

It depends on what you make of it. If you flame, troll, or in general, be a jerk, you make the forums miserable for others, but in the end, only you suffer lasting consequences.
I had a ban, where the account I lent to my little brother was seen as making an alternate account. I got the ban, I owned up to it, and now I know better.
Most of us here have been banned for some period at least once. But it helps. Just read the rules, and understand them.

How I stay safe on forums. Is just follow these 7 steps. Not saying do these yourself. The rules are easier to use. I just follow these rules, because I can apply them to every forum. And how universal they are. Yea I may be pretty strict on myself. But keeps everyone happy with me.

> 1) Dont troll
> 2) Be neutral. Dont join one side or another, unless it cant be helped. Or want to say your side of the argument.(dont be sad if your point is proven wrong or a only a possibility, you learnt something)
> 3) Think or look around before you post, there may be another thread that fits your purpose.
> 4) Respect everyone. If someone has it out for you ask them about it.(this means if someone is just against you, not if their argument differs than yours) If they dont stop. Report them. Best try and resolve a problem so both sides dont get banned.
> 5) If a mod or higher tells you to do something do it if you can. There may be a reason they asked you to do that.
> 6) Keep negative language to a minimum.
> 7) Finally never bump threads unless you see a good reason to.

Because I try my best to keep all these rules, the forums are actually a nice place to be on.

> It isn’t that bad here.

You can’t ignore that the moderators have their moments and make nit-picky or dumb reasons for banning people.

> After reading the rules and being told by multiple people about the strictness of these forums I have decided to give it at least one thread and see how it goes.
>
> My question to you is, is it even worth posting here? If there is such a strict policy towards the rules, one could argue that every post in every thread on every board could be against the ToS and could be ban worthy, upwards of 2000+ years. According to multiple (30 or more) people, they have been banned for things such as disagreeing with a person, not flaming, but a simple “Hey I’m not a fan of [insert], [insert reason why]” and try to get a discussion going. Seeing as that is what keeps a forum going is basic discussion and debate.
>
> I understand the need of moderators, I understand that they are there to keep the peace and to keep things from getting too out of hand, but there is also a need for a little bit of leeway or else people will stop coming and posting and the forum will die.

It is safe to post here. I was a member for a full year and a moderator for a full year and have seen both sides of the coin. I’ve been banned for 1 day before (fun fact, I’m one of the few mods who have been banned before!) for posting leaked content which was described in the rules as an instant 1 day ban. I was mad at first because I didn’t know what I posted was leaked but understood why I was banned once it was over.

Contrary to popular belief, you WILL NOT be banned for disagreeing with someone or not supporting 343i. I have expressed my dislike of many different things 343i has done (one of those threads are in my signature) and had a great discussion with people who both shared the same feelings as myself and people who disagreed with me. At no point did I feel anyone deserved to be banned based on the rules.

Since you are educated on the rules and have read them, you understand what you can and cannot post here. FOr further information, here is how Moderators act in terms of bans: Forum Ban FAQ

A lot of moderation is a case by case basis and if you ever have an issue or question just feel free to contact the mods. We are here to help. If you follow these criteria you will never have to worry about interacting with the moderators in a negative way:

  • Always be sure to make your posts constructive to the topic at hand.
  • Always to keep your posts kind.

I hope this gave you some clarification, please feel free to send me a PM if you need anything. Last comment, don’t worry about what others have to say about Waypoint, just find out for yourself! If you want to go discuss Halo, this is the right place to do so!

> > After reading the rules and being told by multiple people about the strictness of these forums I have decided to give it at least one thread and see how it goes.
> >
> > My question to you is, is it even worth posting here? If there is such a strict policy towards the rules, one could argue that every post in every thread on every board could be against the ToS and could be ban worthy, upwards of 2000+ years. According to multiple (30 or more) people, they have been banned for things such as disagreeing with a person, not flaming, but a simple “Hey I’m not a fan of [insert], [insert reason why]” and try to get a discussion going. Seeing as that is what keeps a forum going is basic discussion and debate.
> >
> > I understand the need of moderators, I understand that they are there to keep the peace and to keep things from getting too out of hand, but there is also a need for a little bit of leeway or else people will stop coming and posting and the forum will die.
>
>
>
>
> It is safe to post here. I was a member for a full year and a moderator for a full year and have seen both sides of the coin. I’ve been banned for 1 day before (fun fact, I’m one of the few mods who have been banned before!) for posting leaked content which was described in the rules as an instant 1 day ban. I was mad at first because I didn’t know what I posted was leaked but understood why I was banned once it was over.
>
> Contrary to popular belief, you WILL NOT be banned for disagreeing with someone or not supporting 343i. I have expressed my dislike of many different things 343i has done (one of those threads are in my signature) and had a great discussion with people who both shared the same feelings as myself and people who disagreed with me. At no point did I feel anyone deserved to be banned based on the rules.
>
> Since you are educated on the rules and have read them, you understand what you can and cannot post here. FOr further information, here is how Moderators act in terms of bans: Forum Ban FAQ
>
> A lot of moderation is a case by case basis and if you ever have an issue or question just feel free to contact the mods. We are here to help. If you follow these criteria you will never have to worry about interacting with the moderators in a negative way:
> - Always be sure to make your posts constructive to the topic at hand.
> - Always to keep your posts kind.
>
> I hope this gave you some clarification, please feel free to send me a PM if you need anything. Last comment, don’t worry about what others have to say about Waypoint, just find out for yourself! If you want to go discuss Halo, this is the right place to do so!
>

OP, listen to those of us who are #1 Moderator our selves. #2 Been banned from these forums at least once. #3 Know a few of the moderators before they was moderators. #4 been on the forums a lot longer than most of the haters/naysayers who are saying these forums are the worst place to post. You’ll actually be surprised to learn that half of the negative things said, is actually false, and misinformed, also spune way out of portion than it actually is. Like most of the “I was banned for a stupid reason” tails we are told on these forums.

> > It isn’t that bad here.
>
> You can’t ignore that the moderators have their moments and make nit-picky or dumb reasons for banning people.

If you break the rule, you’re banned, easy as that, no nit picky, no dumb reason, just you flat out broke the rule(s), thus you get slapped with a ban. Granted there are times when people are banned for a misinformed reason, which I do believe Cobra knows all about, but got resolved without any name calling, and without issue.

If you are banned for what you think is a “DUMB” reason, then find out, and get a hold of the moderator who banned you, and ask them why, and explain your side of things, and talk to them. Don’t jump onto an alt account, or get someone else to post a nasty message saying that moderator banned you for a dumb reason.

We’re all adult here, or at least we should be acting like adults. If we have an issue with a moderator’s action, then we should act like adults, talk to the moderator, and get things fixed, or at least come to an understanding. Not a single moderator here will turn you away for even trying to hold a conversation about their moderation.

The day/week I got perma banned, I got a hold of the moderator who banned me, and discussed my ban, and reasons, and my thoughts on those reason.

> > > After reading the rules and being told by multiple people about the strictness of these forums I have decided to give it at least one thread and see how it goes.
> > >
> > > My question to you is, is it even worth posting here? If there is such a strict policy towards the rules, one could argue that every post in every thread on every board could be against the ToS and could be ban worthy, upwards of 2000+ years. According to multiple (30 or more) people, they have been banned for things such as disagreeing with a person, not flaming, but a simple “Hey I’m not a fan of [insert], [insert reason why]” and try to get a discussion going. Seeing as that is what keeps a forum going is basic discussion and debate.
> > >
> > > I understand the need of moderators, I understand that they are there to keep the peace and to keep things from getting too out of hand, but there is also a need for a little bit of leeway or else people will stop coming and posting and the forum will die.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > It is safe to post here. I was a member for a full year and a moderator for a full year and have seen both sides of the coin. I’ve been banned for 1 day before (fun fact, I’m one of the few mods who have been banned before!) for posting leaked content which was described in the rules as an instant 1 day ban. I was mad at first because I didn’t know what I posted was leaked but understood why I was banned once it was over.
> >
> > Contrary to popular belief, you WILL NOT be banned for disagreeing with someone or not supporting 343i. I have expressed my dislike of many different things 343i has done (one of those threads are in my signature) and had a great discussion with people who both shared the same feelings as myself and people who disagreed with me. At no point did I feel anyone deserved to be banned based on the rules.
> >
> > Since you are educated on the rules and have read them, you understand what you can and cannot post here. FOr further information, here is how Moderators act in terms of bans: Forum Ban FAQ
> >
> > A lot of moderation is a case by case basis and if you ever have an issue or question just feel free to contact the mods. We are here to help. If you follow these criteria you will never have to worry about interacting with the moderators in a negative way:
> > - Always be sure to make your posts constructive to the topic at hand.
> > - Always to keep your posts kind.
> >
> > I hope this gave you some clarification, please feel free to send me a PM if you need anything. Last comment, don’t worry about what others have to say about Waypoint, just find out for yourself! If you want to go discuss Halo, this is the right place to do so!
> >

>
> OP, listen to those of us who are #1 Moderator our selves. #2 Been banned from these forums at least once. #3 Know a few of the moderators before they was moderators. #4 been on the forums a lot longer than most of the haters/naysayers who are saying these forums are the worst place to post. You’ll actually be surprised to learn that half of the negative things said, is actually false, and misinformed, also spune way out of portion than it actually is. Like most of the “I was banned for a stupid reason” tails we are told on these forums.

Well as the most consistently active member on the forums for the longest time, I say be cynical about things.

> > > > After reading the rules and being told by multiple people about the strictness of these forums I have decided to give it at least one thread and see how it goes.
> > > >
> > > > My question to you is, is it even worth posting here? If there is such a strict policy towards the rules, one could argue that every post in every thread on every board could be against the ToS and could be ban worthy, upwards of 2000+ years. According to multiple (30 or more) people, they have been banned for things such as disagreeing with a person, not flaming, but a simple “Hey I’m not a fan of [insert], [insert reason why]” and try to get a discussion going. Seeing as that is what keeps a forum going is basic discussion and debate.
> > > >
> > > > I understand the need of moderators, I understand that they are there to keep the peace and to keep things from getting too out of hand, but there is also a need for a little bit of leeway or else people will stop coming and posting and the forum will die.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > It is safe to post here. I was a member for a full year and a moderator for a full year and have seen both sides of the coin. I’ve been banned for 1 day before (fun fact, I’m one of the few mods who have been banned before!) for posting leaked content which was described in the rules as an instant 1 day ban. I was mad at first because I didn’t know what I posted was leaked but understood why I was banned once it was over.
> > >
> > > Contrary to popular belief, you WILL NOT be banned for disagreeing with someone or not supporting 343i. I have expressed my dislike of many different things 343i has done (one of those threads are in my signature) and had a great discussion with people who both shared the same feelings as myself and people who disagreed with me. At no point did I feel anyone deserved to be banned based on the rules.
> > >
> > > Since you are educated on the rules and have read them, you understand what you can and cannot post here. FOr further information, here is how Moderators act in terms of bans: Forum Ban FAQ
> > >
> > > A lot of moderation is a case by case basis and if you ever have an issue or question just feel free to contact the mods. We are here to help. If you follow these criteria you will never have to worry about interacting with the moderators in a negative way:
> > > - Always be sure to make your posts constructive to the topic at hand.
> > > - Always to keep your posts kind.
> > >
> > > I hope this gave you some clarification, please feel free to send me a PM if you need anything. Last comment, don’t worry about what others have to say about Waypoint, just find out for yourself! If you want to go discuss Halo, this is the right place to do so!
> > >

> >
> > OP, listen to those of us who are #1 Moderator our selves. #2 Been banned from these forums at least once. #3 Know a few of the moderators before they was moderators. #4 been on the forums a lot longer than most of the haters/naysayers who are saying these forums are the worst place to post. You’ll actually be surprised to learn that half of the negative things said, is actually false, and misinformed, also spune way out of portion than it actually is. Like most of the “I was banned for a stupid reason” tails we are told on these forums.
>
> Well as the most consistently active member on the forums for the longest time, I say be cynical about things.

That only leads to unhappy lives.

> > > > > After reading the rules and being told by multiple people about the strictness of these forums I have decided to give it at least one thread and see how it goes.
> > > > >
> > > > > My question to you is, is it even worth posting here? If there is such a strict policy towards the rules, one could argue that every post in every thread on every board could be against the ToS and could be ban worthy, upwards of 2000+ years. According to multiple (30 or more) people, they have been banned for things such as disagreeing with a person, not flaming, but a simple “Hey I’m not a fan of [insert], [insert reason why]” and try to get a discussion going. Seeing as that is what keeps a forum going is basic discussion and debate.
> > > > >
> > > > > I understand the need of moderators, I understand that they are there to keep the peace and to keep things from getting too out of hand, but there is also a need for a little bit of leeway or else people will stop coming and posting and the forum will die.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > It is safe to post here. I was a member for a full year and a moderator for a full year and have seen both sides of the coin. I’ve been banned for 1 day before (fun fact, I’m one of the few mods who have been banned before!) for posting leaked content which was described in the rules as an instant 1 day ban. I was mad at first because I didn’t know what I posted was leaked but understood why I was banned once it was over.
> > > >
> > > > Contrary to popular belief, you WILL NOT be banned for disagreeing with someone or not supporting 343i. I have expressed my dislike of many different things 343i has done (one of those threads are in my signature) and had a great discussion with people who both shared the same feelings as myself and people who disagreed with me. At no point did I feel anyone deserved to be banned based on the rules.
> > > >
> > > > Since you are educated on the rules and have read them, you understand what you can and cannot post here. FOr further information, here is how Moderators act in terms of bans: Forum Ban FAQ
> > > >
> > > > A lot of moderation is a case by case basis and if you ever have an issue or question just feel free to contact the mods. We are here to help. If you follow these criteria you will never have to worry about interacting with the moderators in a negative way:
> > > > - Always be sure to make your posts constructive to the topic at hand.
> > > > - Always to keep your posts kind.
> > > >
> > > > I hope this gave you some clarification, please feel free to send me a PM if you need anything. Last comment, don’t worry about what others have to say about Waypoint, just find out for yourself! If you want to go discuss Halo, this is the right place to do so!
> > > >

> > >
> > > OP, listen to those of us who are #1 Moderator our selves. #2 Been banned from these forums at least once. #3 Know a few of the moderators before they was moderators. #4 been on the forums a lot longer than most of the haters/naysayers who are saying these forums are the worst place to post. You’ll actually be surprised to learn that half of the negative things said, is actually false, and misinformed, also spune way out of portion than it actually is. Like most of the “I was banned for a stupid reason” tails we are told on these forums.
> >
> > Well as the most consistently active member on the forums for the longest time, I say be cynical about things.
>
> That only leads to unhappy lives.

Welcome to waypoint.

Funny how things change. Before I was all like, welcome to waypoint, please be nice, polite, civilized and most importantly, have fun!

Now I’m like, watch out, be careful, be cynical. Waypoint is still my home forum, just not the nice and cozy place it used to be.

> > > > > > After reading the rules and being told by multiple people about the strictness of these forums I have decided to give it at least one thread and see how it goes.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > My question to you is, is it even worth posting here? If there is such a strict policy towards the rules, one could argue that every post in every thread on every board could be against the ToS and could be ban worthy, upwards of 2000+ years. According to multiple (30 or more) people, they have been banned for things such as disagreeing with a person, not flaming, but a simple “Hey I’m not a fan of [insert], [insert reason why]” and try to get a discussion going. Seeing as that is what keeps a forum going is basic discussion and debate.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I understand the need of moderators, I understand that they are there to keep the peace and to keep things from getting too out of hand, but there is also a need for a little bit of leeway or else people will stop coming and posting and the forum will die.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > It is safe to post here. I was a member for a full year and a moderator for a full year and have seen both sides of the coin. I’ve been banned for 1 day before (fun fact, I’m one of the few mods who have been banned before!) for posting leaked content which was described in the rules as an instant 1 day ban. I was mad at first because I didn’t know what I posted was leaked but understood why I was banned once it was over.
> > > > >
> > > > > Contrary to popular belief, you WILL NOT be banned for disagreeing with someone or not supporting 343i. I have expressed my dislike of many different things 343i has done (one of those threads are in my signature) and had a great discussion with people who both shared the same feelings as myself and people who disagreed with me. At no point did I feel anyone deserved to be banned based on the rules.
> > > > >
> > > > > Since you are educated on the rules and have read them, you understand what you can and cannot post here. FOr further information, here is how Moderators act in terms of bans: Forum Ban FAQ
> > > > >
> > > > > A lot of moderation is a case by case basis and if you ever have an issue or question just feel free to contact the mods. We are here to help. If you follow these criteria you will never have to worry about interacting with the moderators in a negative way:
> > > > > - Always be sure to make your posts constructive to the topic at hand.
> > > > > - Always to keep your posts kind.
> > > > >
> > > > > I hope this gave you some clarification, please feel free to send me a PM if you need anything. Last comment, don’t worry about what others have to say about Waypoint, just find out for yourself! If you want to go discuss Halo, this is the right place to do so!
> > > > >

> > > >
> > > > OP, listen to those of us who are #1 Moderator our selves. #2 Been banned from these forums at least once. #3 Know a few of the moderators before they was moderators. #4 been on the forums a lot longer than most of the haters/naysayers who are saying these forums are the worst place to post. You’ll actually be surprised to learn that half of the negative things said, is actually false, and misinformed, also spune way out of portion than it actually is. Like most of the “I was banned for a stupid reason” tails we are told on these forums.
> > >
> > > Well as the most consistently active member on the forums for the longest time, I say be cynical about things.
> >
> > That only leads to unhappy lives.
>
> Welcome to waypoint.
>
> Funny how things change. Before I was all like, welcome to waypoint, please be nice, polite, civilized and most importantly, have fun!
>
> Now I’m like, watch out, be careful, be cynical. Waypoint is still my home forum, just not the nice and cozy place it used to be.

Well, if people were “nice, polite, civilized and most importantly, had fun,” there wouldn’t be problems.

You can still show criticism for the dev and the series in polite civilized ways.

Moderators are just regular people like you and me, they’re not out to get you. Trust me. Follow the rules, ignore people who aren’t respectful or constructive, and you’ll have a lot of fun.

When 343 selects a moderator they go thorough a “initiation”. When they come out they are changed… permanently. They become rule freaks and are merciless in exterminating the chaos of the forums…

In all seriousness Moderators have a job to do and are flawed like any human being. They do their best at what they do (and are probably taken from the more respected forumers). Mistakes have probably happened, But its excusable. Follow the rules, respect your fellow fourmers (even if they Don’t respect you), and if your not sure whisper a morderator or check the rules. A “heated” debate is PROBERLY OK as long as you don’t get into insulting anything within the rules (ethnicity, religions, etc) and your fellow forumers.

as for criticizing 343… I believe its OK to say you did not like the job they did on such and such. its not OK to ask for say… a petition. However that’s a fine line. As long as you don’t curse them out and remain reasonably polite in your criticism you should be OK.

Morderators also sometimes give you a chance to edit out questionable “stuff” before they do something. Morderators have hearts as well and were probably in your boots as well. (Special thanks to: “you know who you are”)

> When 343 selects a moderator they go thorough a “initiation”. When they come out they are changed… permanently. They become rule freaks and are merciless in exterminating the chaos of the forums…
>
>
> In all seriousness Moderators have a job to do and are flawed like any human being. They do their best at what they do (and are probably taken from the more respected forumers). Mistakes have probably happened, But its excusable. Follow the rules, respect your fellow fourmers (even if they Don’t respect you), and if your not sure whisper a morderator or check the rules. A “heated” debate is PROBERLY OK as long as you don’t get into insulting anything within the rules (ethnicity, religions, etc) and your fellow forumers.

Thats pretty spot on. Nothing wrong with a heated debate as long as long as you don’t just start insulting others for their opinion or attacking them as a person.