Is it me or does Halo4 menus look -Yoink-?

It just looks so unappealing to the eye

Halo3, ODST, Wars and Reach all look beautiful.

Yes the menu’s are awful. By far the worst halo has ever had.

Halo has always been a visually appealing game, the scenery was always beautiful, halo 4 looks like something activision craped out

Having to read up and down just to read someones Gamertag in the lobby is fun.

Halo 2 had the best one.

But then again Halo 2 had the best of most things really…

I dont agree, I like the fact that we can see each others spartans now. I only wish they kept the “party up” option like in Halo 3.

just IMO

Yes the entire UI is crap. First thing I commented on on November 5th when I started up 4? “holyyoink!wtfmenus?!?” Reach actually had something TO LOOK AT, you weren’t drowning in an ocean of blue backgrounds and white text. Another thing that annoyed me is the ALLCAPS format of almost everything. No more gamertag capitalization to stylize your name.
The actual physical navigation of the menus is also a pain in 4, as you have to press 10 different buttons just to see basic info.

The menu is just one of thousands of things that made this game garbage. Where’s clans? Where’s rank? I could go all day

To me, It’s almost as if people are TRYING to find things wrong with this game. Sure, some things are justifies (Matchmaking problems, customs, etc.), but not liking the menus? Really?

We need some outside consulting, bring in EvilOtto from Bungie, his UI work with Reach was the best in the Halo series!

> To me, It’s almost as if people are TRYING to find things wrong with this game. Sure, some things are justifies (Matchmaking problems, customs, etc.), but not liking the menus? Really?

Yup, we all spend a lot of time in the UI. I think the UI is something that people shouldn’t ever talk about, it should just work, it should be seem less. Information shouldn’t be buried, information should be up front.

Challenges are buried

Commendations are buried

Halo 4 adopted this blade-tablet-windows 8 menu system that just doesn’t work.

If the menus (the UI)is great, no one will say a word, which I believe is the designers intentions, however this game is a little bit of a mess when it comes to UI

I think the menus are pretty easy to navigate.

> To me, It’s almost as if people are TRYING to find things wrong with this game. Sure, some things are justifies (Matchmaking problems, customs, etc.), but not liking the menus? Really?

I don’t think you realize how excited I was for Halo 4. I just bought my first Xbox ever, the H4 LE Console. I preordered it from Best Buy and I got it in the AFTERNOON OF NOV. 5! I felt like the luckiest person alive. I started it up around 3-4pm that day and I had hardly seen more than a minute or two of gameplay footage beforehand. My friend and I logged on and started up the campaign.

I was SO READY to love it! I honestly read zero negative reviews before playing it. I wasn’t looking for anything bad at all. And YET, like I said, I immediately couldn’t help but notice the drastic changes in GUI design. It was simply a bad idea to change it so much from Reach. Of all the things that people complained about Reach, it’s GUI was at least very well done and very eye pleasing. I really love the fullscreen game landscapes of Reach’s menus. They’re beautiful. But in Halo 4 all we can see is an ocean of blue! On top of that there is hardly any important information displayed on the screen at any one time.

> > To me, It’s almost as if people are TRYING to find things wrong with this game. Sure, some things are justifies (Matchmaking problems, customs, etc.), but not liking the menus? Really?
>
> Yup, we all spend a lot of time in the UI. I think the UI is something that people shouldn’t ever talk about, it should just work, it should be seem less. Information shouldn’t be buried, information should be up front.
>
> Challenges are buried
>
> Commendations are buried
>
> Halo 4 adopted this blade-tablet-windows 8 menu system that just doesn’t work.
>
> If the menus (the UI)is great, no one will say a word, which I believe is the designers intentions, however this game is a little bit of a mess when it comes to UI

My thoughts exactly. Plus the removal of simple things such as the ability to see who is in a party, and forcing a player to read a name vertically, too much negative space, not enough information.

Yeap the UI is realy bad in this game.

> > Halo 4 adopted this blade-tablet-windows 8 menu system that just doesn’t work.
>
> Exactly, Microsoft started pushing the Win8 interface on everything from our Xboxes, to desktop PCs and laptops, to Mobile phones, to tablets and now to Halo. I really wish they would abandon that busy box Win8 interface since it’s only workable on touch screens.
>
> I personally think Reach was the best UI from both functions and aestetics.

Halo 4 should have used an updated version of Reach’s UI. Instead, it went with an advertisement for Windows 8.