Is Halo "Lovecraftian"?

While I wait for the future Halo novels to be written and released I have begun reading up on the entire works of H.P. Lovecraft. As I do so however, I have been comparing certain themes which appear to be similar in both universes. The most obvious theme shared between the two is the theory that ancient Earth had been visited by extraterrestrials, which is a theme shared by plenty of other writers as well. However after reading Halo: Cryptum I’m seeing more of a correlation between Halo and H.P. Lovecraft’s work.

An example of this can be seen in the Forerunner’s belief that they, as well as humanity, had been created by the Precursors. In Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos humanity had been created by “The Old Ones” for reasons unknown while they resided over the Earth. Like the Precursors the Old Ones had been destroyed but they were supposedly destroyed by one of their own, Cthulhu, instead of by their creations. However I call the Prisoner of Charrum Hakkor’s words into question when he says the Forerunner destroyed the Precursors.

It seems like the Forerunner would remember such a feat and had they been the ones to have sealed him away, why wouldn’t they have remembered that also. They had no knowledge of how to use Precursor technology and were almost jealous that Humans had figured out how to open the cage even somewhat. And why would they have left one alive in a Prison? It seems to me the Precursors locked the Prisoner up on their own and he survives because of this. Or perhaps it was just a stasis field like the Cryptums? Maybe he locked himself away on purpose just as Cthulhu did?

The Prisoner’s description bears some resemblance to Cthulhu in that they are both giant beings which resemble some type of sea creature. Cthulhu resembling a Squid and the Prisoner resembling a Sea Scorpion respectively. Both appear to be sealed away in their own tombs or prisons waiting to return one day and they both hold knowledge that is so horrifying it drives all who hear it insane.

You could also very loosely compare the Covenant to that of Cthulhu’s cult, however the Covenant worshiped and killed for the Forerunner and not the Precursors or the Prisoner. That’s why I say loosely based. But still I think perhaps the writers drew some kind of inspiration from the mystery and horror that was Lovecraft’s work. But what do you all think?

You surprisingly went in a different direction than I thought. I always got a very Loveraftian feel fom Gravemind.

Now that you mention it thought, maybe its time for a re-read of Lovecraft. What are you reading right now?

Gramemind and his connection yes.
Halo no.

Think of Lovecraft as imagining what would happen if Lucifer won. And of course if all the angels were more like
Supernatural’s vision or Spawn’s.

Currently I am reading “At the Mountains of Madness”. The Gravemind does have a very Lovecraftian feel to him but I never really made any connection until reading Cryptum. But after reading Cryptum I believe there is a connection between the Prisoner and the Gravemind.