Is Halo heading in the right direction?

I love Halo, i can’t get enough of this universe, however… since Halo 4 and now Halo 5 i can’t help but feel sad about what is happening to this game/franchise.

The multiplayer is fine, lack of custom games and a few other things in forge is annoying, but hopefully they will drop with future updates.
(infection, grifball ect)

Problems with Halo (IMO):

  • Too dramatic: just go back to the old humourful Halo we all love, this over the top moody theatrics is horrible.

  • Boring characters: Apart from Buck and Chief.

  • Level design: Except the Sanghelios missions, they were the only stand-out maps for me. The rest just felt boring and gloomy.

  • Story: I wasn’t one of the people who had issues with what was happening, however i did feel disappointed in how it all panned out. We were misled on the whole “greatest hunt in gaming history” … i felt like a bloodhound sniffing out a scent, that’s it. The Warden battles were tedious, and the forerunner characters are just boring and uninteresting… and again the whole theatrical dark moody setting made the story feel depressing.

  • Lack of “wow moments”: Halo 4 didn’t have any stand-out missions, and apart from 1 or 2 neither does Halo 5. Play Halo 1-3 and when you think about those games you instantly remember the names of those amazing missions, like Silent Cartographer,The Library, the Warthog run, Delta Halo ect. All missions that you instantly remember and would play over and over again after completion. Halo 5 lacks any of that, there isn’t any missions i look back at and think “wow, id love to play that again”.

Do you guys, 343i, even play the old Halo games? because if you have, i don’t understand how you can make a game that feels drastically different to how those play.
You’re making it too dramatic, dark, humourless… just go back, play the old games. That’s how we want these games.

I don’t believe so.

The story is beyond convoluted at this point. Im lost and im a diehard halo fan that has played every game. I cannot even imagine how lost a person who jumped in as H5 being his first game must have felt.

How…Is there a lack of custom games? Am I wrong but…No Halo has had a match finder for customs. As to it being too dramatic, how can that actually be a sore point?

Not only that but how are the characters boring? More characters have been given a background than before. I want to know more about that.

> 2533274905232701;1:
> - Lack of “wow moments”: Halo 4 didn’t have any stand-out missions, and apart from 1 or 2 neither does Halo 5. Play Halo 1-3 and when you think about those games you instantly remember the names of those amazing missions, like Silent Cartographer,The Library, the Warthog run, Delta Halo ect. All missions that you instantly remember and would play over and over again after completion. Halo 5 lacks any of that, there isn’t any missions i look back at and think “wow, id love to play that again”.
>
> .

I think you, along with many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to wow moments in stories. You will most likely never get that same WOW moment that you many have gotten from a mission in CE or 2 or 3. the only real WOW moment for me in the series was in CE when I activated the light bridge for the first time. there was not one wow moment in 2 or 3 for me. WOW moments are incredibly hard to duplicate in sequels. As one comparison, you almost never see it in movies. the reason why is because once you have a feel for that story, you will know what to expect, once you know what to expect that surprise is gone. Also if indeed it has a surprise and its not what you wanted you get let down even further. Its equal to driving 100+MPH for the first time being terrified. The second time will be fun, but not as fun as the first. Why? Because you know what to expect.

It’s obviously not, it’s mainly because they messed up the campaign, multiplayer and forge and this online only nonsense is hurting 343i, this obsession with REQ packs/microtransaction’s kind of isn’t helping Halo 5.

Sure the graphics look great but graphics don’t just make games ‘fun’ which is becoming a theme with modern Halo games, more people are moving away from Halo, it doesn’t help the fact that 343i keep releasing broken games.

I agree completely that the campaign is taking itself way too seriously now. In the original trilogy, Chief was a soldier. He put the mission first and fought to accomplish it. He would make judgment calls along the way as needed, but always within the confines of what he was supposed to do. In both of the 343 games, we’ve seen Chief disobey orders. They’re putting drama above expectations in their storytelling, and it’s bad for the franchise in my opinion,

The old halo’s take too much from 80’ and 90’s Sci fi movies, and not even the good parts. Too campy cliché- ie Sgt Johnson. The harrowing tale of mankind vs an alien threat doesnt need humor, its should portray a sense of dark, gritty action, with serious moments, and actual character development. In 4, we see the Chief in a different light, learning that his duty to the UNSC is often put aside to help save those he cares about. He’s no longer some wind up toy soldier you unleash on the battlefield. He’s a fleshed out character who is learning the rules are changing, that he himself isn’t as relevant to the world he helped save. He had his place, his time to shine, but as the standard changes, he and his compatriots are at a disadvantage.

I like the direction 343 has taken. And while I may not be as satisfied with the campaign as I hoped to be, I’m still a fan and look forward to the next installments in the Halo Universe

I feel it is slowly but surely… FFA is AWESOME NOW! I absolutely LOVE IT… now all we need are more maps especially for btb which are coming and more playlist, bring on Action Sack please…

Even the multiplayer isn’t that great compared to what Halo can be. :confused:

No.

Imo Halo was horrible after Halo 3. Both Reach and Halo 4 were easily the worst ones of the series. They didn’t revolutionize in the ways Halo 2 and Halo 3 did, that’s for sure. With Halo 5 I feel like they finally brought it back. No evading, jetpacking, armor lock(that is NOT Halo. IDC what you say) the guns handle great, forge is back, file share is back. All that’s left are a few modes like KOTH & Oddball, and the icing on the cake would be a Custom Game Browser. They nailed clans(Spartan Companies) in this game too. Reminds me of the Halo 2 days.

> 2533274905232701;1:
> I love Halo, i can’t get enough of this universe, however… since Halo 4 and now Halo 5 i can’t help but feel sad about what is happening to this game/franchise.
>
> The multiplayer is fine, lack of custom games and a few other things in forge is annoying, but hopefully they will drop with future updates.
> (infection, grifball ect)
>
> Problems with Halo (IMO):
>
> - Too dramatic: just go back to the old humourful Halo we all love, this over the top moody theatrics is horrible.
>
> - Boring characters: Apart from Buck and Chief.
>
> - Level design: Except the Sanghelios missions, they were the only stand-out maps for me. The rest just felt boring and gloomy.
>
> - Story: I wasn’t one of the people who had issues with what was happening, however i did feel disappointed in how it all panned out. We were misled on the whole “greatest hunt in gaming history” … i felt like a bloodhound sniffing out a scent, that’s it. The Warden battles were tedious, and the forerunner characters are just boring and uninteresting… and again the whole theatrical dark moody setting made the story feel depressing.
>
> - Lack of “wow moments”: Halo 4 didn’t have any stand-out missions, and apart from 1 or 2 neither does Halo 5. Play Halo 1-3 and when you think about those games you instantly remember the names of those amazing missions, like Silent Cartographer,The Library, the Warthog run, Delta Halo ect. All missions that you instantly remember and would play over and over again after completion. Halo 5 lacks any of that, there isn’t any missions i look back at and think “wow, id love to play that again”.
>
> Do you guys, 343i, even play the old Halo games? because if you have, i don’t understand how you can make a game that feels drastically different to how those play.
> You’re making it too dramatic, dark, humourless… just go back, play the old games. That’s how we want these games.

I agree with you completely. In fact, have a look at my earlier post here-
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/how-does-343-regain-old-halo-fans-who-left/259c2e17-dd02-4c96-a448-b92ff8969282/posts?page=37#post724 I elaborate on all of your points.

Comparing a lackluster story and linear mission design with low replay value to the lackluster/linear campaigns and low replay value from other Halos “historically” seems a little bit ignorant to say the least. Some people care about it, I understand that part, but most who try to finish the fight will typically spend around 24-36hours on a Halo story; that’s completing it once on Heroic, completing it on Legendary and possibly Coop, then finding all the collectibles. And, the Halo 5 missions are not that bad, some are even more open like CE’s. You can also tell that there was alot of work put into it with Music composition and visuals; not to mention, there isn’t a ton of multiple areas being used which in the past like CE and H2 where they would make you use areas 2-3-4 times to save on level design, which can be seen as smart.

The Multiplayer is where it’s at and 95% playtime of anyone who plays Halo more than 2 days. I always saw Halo from CE on as going in a constant downhill path which hit the bottom at Halo 4, then spiked back up with Halo 5. So to answer the question of “is it going in the right direction”, it is. The game is now in an upward climb and the multiplayer has alot of competitive merit balanced with casual tendencies again like its past. It’s a solid experience.

I haven’t finished the campaign yet and don’t really have any desire to, take from that what you will.

Multiplayer is headed in the right direction in terms of weapon balance, which is probably the best we’ve had since CE. Some weapons need tuning in my opinion, especially the “spray” weapons. Radar needs to go (at least in arena) and if I had it my way I’d also remove Spartan Charge if sprint has to stay. I’d also buff the pistol to a 4sk so it at least has a chance of competing with the rifles.

Maps however, the power ups combined with the weapon placement just promotes camping and crouching on almost every map, there are certain exceptions (Coliseum is a favourite of mine) which seem to buck this trend but all in all I think the maps are sub par for a Halo game, looking forward to seeing what the community can come up with.

> 2533274825101441;4:
> > 2533274905232701;1:
> > - Lack of “wow moments”: Halo 4 didn’t have any stand-out missions, and apart from 1 or 2 neither does Halo 5. Play Halo 1-3 and when you think about those games you instantly remember the names of those amazing missions, like Silent Cartographer,The Library, the Warthog run, Delta Halo ect. All missions that you instantly remember and would play over and over again after completion. Halo 5 lacks any of that, there isn’t any missions i look back at and think “wow, id love to play that again”.
> >
> > .
>
>
> I think you, along with many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to wow moments in stories. You will most likely never get that same WOW moment that you many have gotten from a mission in CE or 2 or 3. the only real WOW moment for me in the series was in CE when I activated the light bridge for the first time. there was not one wow moment in 2 or 3 for me. WOW moments are incredibly hard to duplicate in sequels. As one comparison, you almost never see it in movies. the reason why is because once you have a feel for that story, you will know what to expect, once you know what to expect that surprise is gone. Also if indeed it has a surprise and its not what you wanted you get let down even further. Its equal to driving 100+MPH for the first time being terrified. The second time will be fun, but not as fun as the first. Why? Because you know what to expect.

I’m of split feelings here, I used to have those wow moments the first time I played these games.

The word “Covenant” used to send a tingle up my spine, so evil and alien right? Now it’s just a word… Seeing the Master Chief rise from cryo in Halo 1, and getting up at the start of Halo 3 was thrilling. Finding the Halo rings was awesome, and the feeling of being outnumbered and outgunned was great in the first 4 games.

So yeah the feeling was there, and it’s not out of reach, but 343 just doesn’t have the magic touch with story telling, sorry to say. Part of it is the setting, I always enjoyed fighting against a superior alien empire, now humanity is the empire with ships like Infinity, mopping up enemies here and there, they had to progress the series but this direction doesn’t bring tingles to my spine like the old days, even today I get a small spark when I replay the classics. The only feeling I get from this company is like that cold shiver that happens when a kid steps into the road, hopefully 343 isn’t driving the truck.

Nope. Relies too heavy on other media. Those who do not read books etc. will not get half of the story anymore. Halo 4 began as a direct sequel to H3 but immediately got lost in the other forms of media. Halo 5 didn’t even start off right at the end of Halo 4. The games should be the games and if anything the books should fill in cracks, not the other way around.

> 2533274803983077;16:
> Nope. Relies too heavy on other media. Those who do not read books etc. will not get half of the story anymore. Halo 4 began as a direct sequel to H3 but immediately got lost in the other forms of media. Halo 5 didn’t even start off right at the end of Halo 4. The games should be the games and if anything the books should fill in cracks, not the other way around.

I agree, it seemed after Halo 3 it was in fact the books that made the story jump the shark. I would have preferred a slightly less dramatic story line after Halo 3 focused more on the aftermath of the War than bring in a whole new saga with the Forerunners. To me back in the Halo 3 days, the Forerunners were these interesting, mystical beings that you wanted to know so much about, but the lore kept you from knowing about them to keep the mystery. Now it feels that Halo hurriedly spun the Forerunners as the new enemy to stop the franchise dying a death after Halo 3.