Is Cortana really dead?

Cortana dies in Halo 4 OR DOES SHE
Cortana was taken by the Librarian in 4, and the Librarian makes copies of data it takes in. So is Cortana really dead. The first Halo 5 trailer showed Chief with the old chip she was contained in, and was in a desert searching (possibly). Is Halo 5 going to be about Chief searching for the Librarian to get Cortana back?

One of the theories floating around is about how the composer was originally designed to convert biological life and data back and forth. in spartan ops we see the relic convert the scientist into data and rematerialize him in another location. People believe that the composer has the power to bring Cortina back in human form. At the end of Spartan ops, the librarian gives Halsey the key to track down all existing forerunner technology. So Halo 5 might be a hunt for the composer or something of similar power.

Yes, I think 343 made that point pretty clear when they said she was. 4+ times.

> 2661949065475413;2:
> People believe that the composer has the power to bring Cortina back in human form.

If that ever happens I swear I’ll be done with the franchise. I’ll even message an admin to ban my account from the website.

I’m pretty sure she’s dead. I hope theres a twist so she isn’t. She’s AI. Can’t they just make a new Cortana and upload all the same data to her? :wink:

> 2533274819002902;5:
> I’m pretty sure she’s dead. I hope theres a twist so she isn’t. She’s AI. Can’t they just make a new Cortana and upload all the same data to her? :wink:

No.

> 2533274825353387;4:
> > 2661949065475413;2:
> > People believe that the composer has the power to bring Cortina back in human form.
>
>
> If that ever happens I swear I’ll be done with the franchise. I’ll even message an admin to ban my account from the website.

How can you say no to that face???

Dead isn’t gone forever. There are plenty of ways to bring her back while not outright defying the canon of Halo, and personally I’d like to see 343i take advantage of that.

> 2533274849895899;8:
> Dead isn’t gone forever. There are plenty of ways to bring her back while not outright defying the canon of Halo, and personally I’d like to see 343i take advantage of that.

And some of these examples you say there plenty of include…?

> 2533274812652989;6:
> > 2533274819002902;5:
> > I’m pretty sure she’s dead. I hope theres a twist so she isn’t. She’s AI. Can’t they just make a new Cortana and upload all the same data to her? :wink:
>
>
> No.

You’re pretty skeptical for a #1 Halsey fan. Considering Cortana was created from Halsey’s living brain tissue, and is the only AI to have ever been made from a living donor. They could always just “make another one.” Although it wouldn’t truly be Cortana, but Halo isn’t really Halo without that voice of reason in the back of your head. But I’m sure I don’t need to tell you that.

> 2661949065475413;10:
> > 2533274812652989;6:
> > > 2533274819002902;5:
> > > I’m pretty sure she’s dead. I hope theres a twist so she isn’t. She’s AI. Can’t they just make a new Cortana and upload all the same data to her? :wink:
> >
> >
> >
> > No.
>
>
> You’re pretty skeptical for a #1 Halsey fan. Considering Cortana was created from Halsey’s living brain tissue, and is the only AI to have ever been made from a living donor. They could always just “make another one.” Although it wouldn’t truly be Cortana, but Halo isn’t really Halo without that voice of reason in the back of your head. But I’m sure I don’t need to tell you that.

“Although it wouldn’t truly be Cortana”

Then there is no conflict. It isn’t Cortana.

If they bring back Cortana, it would completely trivialize her death. But 343 doesn’t know how to write good stories, so I’m sure they’ll figure out the dumbest way to bring her back.

> 2533274832164719;12:
> If they bring back Cortana, it would completely trivialize her death. But 343 doesn’t know how to write good stories, so I’m sure they’ll figure out the dumbest way to bring her back.

looks at all the books put out by 343 Industries

Yeah, sure, okay.

I really would like Cortana to remain “dead,” because it would give her struggle to remain sane in Halo 4 depth.

I would love them to refer back to her occasionally, like Locke and the Chief end up in a life-or-death struggle with the Didact and Locke tells the Chief to leave him behind to survive. Chief just looks at him and says “I don’t make promises that I don’t keep” or something.

A fragment of Cortana, like a message(such as in the end of Floodgate,) warning the Chief or Locke of some danger would be cool too.

Remind us she was alive, but don’t retcon her death.

> 2533274812652989;9:
> > 2533274849895899;8:
> > Dead isn’t gone forever. There are plenty of ways to bring her back while not outright defying the canon of Halo, and personally I’d like to see 343i take advantage of that.
>
>
> And some of these examples you say there plenty of include…?

There was a Slipspace portal under the Composer as it was firing, which is how the Didact escaped alive. Cortana could have tapped into it to displace herself elsewhere.

The Librarian is shown to have significant influence, even after her death, (though 343 Guilty Spark insists she lives, which may very well be true), so perhaps she developed a contingency to save Cortana.

Perhaps Cortana could be reconstituted from fragments with the assistance of Dr. Halsey. Perhaps the Librarian managed to get a piece of her. Perhaps one (or more) fell through the portal. Perhaps a fragment remains directly in John’s brain, since MJOLNIR interfaces directly with his central nervous system (this is an explanation for the Cortana moments in H3, so it seems credible).

> 2533274849895899;15:
> > 2533274812652989;9:
> > > 2533274849895899;8:
> > > Dead isn’t gone forever. There are plenty of ways to bring her back while not outright defying the canon of Halo, and personally I’d like to see 343i take advantage of that.
> >
> >
> >
> > And some of these examples you say there plenty of include…?
>
>
> There was a Slipspace portal under the Composer as it was firing, which is how the Didact escaped alive. Cortana could have tapped into it to displace herself elsewhere.
>
> The Librarian is shown to have significant influence, even after her death, (though 343 Guilty Spark insists she lives, which may very well be true), so perhaps she developed a contingency to save Cortana.
>
> Perhaps Cortana could be reconstituted from fragments with the assistance of Dr. Halsey. Perhaps the Librarian managed to get a piece of her. Perhaps one (or more) fell through the portal. Perhaps a fragment remains directly in John’s brain, since MJOLNIR interfaces directly with his central nervous system (this is an explanation for the Cortana moments in H3, so it seems credible).

And yet…

“I’m not coming with you this time…most of me is down there. I held only enough back to get you off the ship.”

There weren’t any fragments that survived.

Yes really she is. If you haven’t already heard the talk. John has gone mostly AWOL. Hence why Locke is hunting him to bring him back. John is obsessed with finding Cortana, hence why he’s not in the absolute most right mindset

I tink she dieded

No. The Librarian snatched her from the system, the Chief didn’t retrieve her chip from the console when the Librarian did the snatching AND she suddenly reappeared in his suit just after the Librarian genetically accelerated the Chief’s DNA. Misdirection in a matter of what, 5 minutes? :slight_smile:

I think the Librarian did for Cortana that which they’d hope Halsey would have been able to do and she did so by copying Cortana directly and completely, and then modified the “real” one… With a code addition here or there to help fight the Didact for the “flash clone” given to John.

Cortana really did die because an exact duplicate of her did the exact things the real one would have BUT the “real” one is still alive and though not cured of her problem, she does not face rampancy as she once knew it… She will no longer think herself to death but she will have to have her soul retake control of her many personality shards.

> 2603643534597848;19:
> No. The Librarian snatched her from the system, the Chief didn’t retrieve her chip from the console when the Librarian did the snatching AND she suddenly reappeared in his suit just after the Librarian genetically accelerated the Chief’s DNA. Misdirection in a matter of what, 5 minutes? :slight_smile:
>
> I think the Librarian did for Cortana that which they’d hope Halsey would have been able to do and she did so by copying Cortana directly and completely, and then modified the “real” one… With a code addition here or there to help fight the Didact for the “flash clone” given to John.
>
> Cortana really did die because an exact duplicate of her did the exact things the real one would have BUT the “real” one is still alive and though not cured of her problem, she does not face rampancy as she once knew it… She will no longer think herself to death but she will have to have her soul retake control of her many personality shards.

And Cortana just didn’t know or the Librarian just didn’t say anything because…?