Is Brian Reed still onboard for Halo 6

After the events of Halo 5, i would hope that he is no longer part of the franchise. Can anyone confirm if this?

thank you.

I sure hope not. And if 343 actually listens to us, he won’t be.

Put Joe Staten in as a Lead Writer. Or anyone else who can write a good Halo book.

Brian Reed is a comic book writer, and I don’t doubt his skills in that regard. However, he doesn’t have the needed depth to truly shine as a writer from Halo. Spartan Ops and Halo 5 should have made this very clear. So if they are considering him, they should weigh their options and the critical response to the campaign accordingly.

Halo 5’s story was some of the dumbest text I’ve ever read . So hopefully not

> 2533274826920712;3:
> Put Joe Staten in as a Lead Writer. Or anyone else who can write a good Halo book.
>
> Brian Reed is a comic book writer, and I don’t doubt his skills in that regard. However, he doesn’t have the needed depth to truly shine as a writer from Halo. Spartan Ops and Halo 5 should have made this very clear. So if they are considering him, they should weigh their options and the critical response to the campaign accordingly.

I believe Staten will have a huge influence over Halo 6. What about Eric Nylund. (I can’t stand how Brian Reed’s name is also appearing on “The Fall of Reach”).

> 2533274826920712;3:
> Put Joe Staten in as a Lead Writer. Or anyone else who can write a good Halo book.
>
> Brian Reed is a comic book writer, and I don’t doubt his skills in that regard. However, he doesn’t have the needed depth to truly shine as a writer from Halo. Spartan Ops and Halo 5 should have made this very clear. So if they are considering him, they should weigh their options and the critical response to the campaign accordingly.

I want to see how Recore goes, but seeing as how it is delayed he might not have enough time to come back. If it goes well though I definitely would like him back for Halo 6

Yeah it would be a dream come true to have Staten and Eric Nylund.

> 2535441488042067;5:
> > 2533274826920712;3:
> > Put Joe Staten in as a Lead Writer. Or anyone else who can write a good Halo book.
> >
> > Brian Reed is a comic book writer, and I don’t doubt his skills in that regard. However, he doesn’t have the needed depth to truly shine as a writer from Halo. Spartan Ops and Halo 5 should have made this very clear. So if they are considering him, they should weigh their options and the critical response to the campaign accordingly.
>
>
> I believe Staten will have a huge influence over Halo 6. What about Eric Nylund. (I can’t stand how Brian Reed’s name is also appearing on “The Fall of Reach”).

He’s good, too. I read the Fall of Reach, and considering how well that book turned out considering how much time he had allocated to write it (IIRC, it was about 4 months?), he should be considered as well if he is open to working on it. His character development for the Chief was entirely plausible, in-character, and was definitely in-line with how he was written in Halos 1-3.

Probably.

He wrote Spartan Ops; people complained about the poorly written story, and the awkward, cheesy dialogue.
And then he wrote the next 72 hours. Pretty much everyone found it terrible.

And yet, after contributing nothing but poorly received work within the Halo universe, 343 made him the head writer of Halo 5. Like seriously, what were they expecting?

Now that that’s been pretty much panned by every critic who reviewed the game (and let’s face it, the majority of the fans), are 343 going to keep him around for Halo 6? Probably. It’s not like they learnt their lesson after the next 72 hours.

I’m sure he’s a lovely guy, but he’s not right for Halo.

> 2533274827167643;9:
> Probably.
>
> He wrote Spartan Ops; people complained about the poorly written story, and the awkward, cheesy dialogue.
> And then he wrote the next 72 hours. Pretty much everyone found it terrible.
>
> And yet, after contributing nothing but poorly received work within the Halo universe

This is a good point. I don’t think he’s written anything for the halo universe that was in any way well received.

Top choice:
Joseph Staten
Eric Nylund
Greg Bear

Awful choice:
Karen Traviss
Brian Reed

> 2535464169630092;11:
> Top choice:
> Joseph Staten
> Eric Nylund
> Greg Bear
>
> Awful choice:
> Karen Traviss
> Brian Reed

Oh god, don’t even bring her up.

I’m still incredibly disdainful of her writing in Star Wars.

> 2533274826920712;12:
> > 2535464169630092;11:
> > Top choice:
> > Joseph Staten
> > Eric Nylund
> > Greg Bear
> >
> > Awful choice:
> > Karen Traviss
> > Brian Reed
>
>
> Oh god, don’t even bring her up.
>
> I’m still incredibly disdainful of her writing in Star Wars.

I think I’m actually alone in liking the kilo 5 trilogy…

> 2533274826920712;12:
> > 2535464169630092;11:
> > Top choice:
> > Joseph Staten
> > Eric Nylund
> > Greg Bear
> >
> > Awful choice:
> > Karen Traviss
> > Brian Reed
>
>
> Oh god, don’t even bring her up.
>
> I’m still incredibly disdainful of her writing in Star Wars.

Was it that bad?

> 2533274800902066;10:
> > 2533274827167643;9:
> > Probably.
> >
> > He wrote Spartan Ops; people complained about the poorly written story, and the awkward, cheesy dialogue.
> > And then he wrote the next 72 hours. Pretty much everyone found it terrible.
> >
> > And yet, after contributing nothing but poorly received work within the Halo universe
>
>
> This is a good point. I don’t think he’s written anything for the halo universe that was in any way well received.

And yet what’s really scary is that after Spartan Ops, they kept him on, after Escalation they kept him on, after Halo 5… Frank came on and defended the story… See where I’m going with this?

> 2535441488042067;5:
> > 2533274826920712;3:
> > Put Joe Staten in as a Lead Writer. Or anyone else who can write a good Halo book.
> >
> > Brian Reed is a comic book writer, and I don’t doubt his skills in that regard. However, he doesn’t have the needed depth to truly shine as a writer from Halo. Spartan Ops and Halo 5 should have made this very clear. So if they are considering him, they should weigh their options and the critical response to the campaign accordingly.
>
>
> I believe Staten will have a huge influence over Halo 6. What about Eric Nylund. (I can’t stand how Brian Reed’s name is also appearing on “The Fall of Reach”).

I think Staten is done working for the big corporate dogs. If Microsoft and Activision are any indication, everything they do interferes with his work and writing process.

Recore is special because it’s a new IP with smaller studios (something I think Staten may be used to…Bungie was in it’s prime around Halo 1-2-3 when the team was relatively small compared to Destiny’s) working on it. If it explodes like Halo did, you can be MS will jump on it and enforce strict “one game per year within obnoxiously small deadlines” contracts. Which Staten may avoid like a plague this time around.

> 2533274884387290;15:
> > 2533274800902066;10:
> > > 2533274827167643;9:
> > > Probably.
> > >
> > > He wrote Spartan Ops; people complained about the poorly written story, and the awkward, cheesy dialogue.
> > > And then he wrote the next 72 hours. Pretty much everyone found it terrible.
> > >
> > > And yet, after contributing nothing but poorly received work within the Halo universe
> >
> >
> > This is a good point. I don’t think he’s written anything for the halo universe that was in any way well received.
>
>
> And yet what’s really scary is that after Spartan Ops, they kept him on, after Escalation they kept him on, after Halo 5… Frank came on and defended the story… See where I’m going with this?

Exactly my thoughts. Halo 5 could have been incredible. Halo 4 had such a great story, it just needed improvements in the level design, Multiplayer and music departments. Halo 5 did all of that.

And then they gave us Brian Reed as head writer. It’s like…why? In what possible way did that seem like a good idea? If he stays on, then I really am concerned about 343’s ability to make simple decisions. They’ve shown a severe lack of common sense so far.

> 2533274827167643;17:
> > 2533274884387290;15:
> > > 2533274800902066;10:
> > > > 2533274827167643;9:
> > > > Probably.
> > > >
> > > > He wrote Spartan Ops; people complained about the poorly written story, and the awkward, cheesy dialogue.
> > > > And then he wrote the next 72 hours. Pretty much everyone found it terrible.
> > > >
> > > > And yet, after contributing nothing but poorly received work within the Halo universe
> > >
> > >
> > > This is a good point. I don’t think he’s written anything for the halo universe that was in any way well received.
> >
> >
> > And yet what’s really scary is that after Spartan Ops, they kept him on, after Escalation they kept him on, after Halo 5… Frank came on and defended the story… See where I’m going with this?
>
>
> Exactly my thoughts. Halo 5 could have been incredible. Halo 4 had such a great story, it just needed improvements in the level design, Multiplayer and music departments. Halo 5 did all of that.
>
> And then they gave us Brian Reed as head writer. It’s like…why? In what possible way did that seem like a good idea? If he stays on, then I really am concerned about 343’s ability to make simple decisions. They’ve shown a severe lack of common sense so far.

To be fair they have acknowledged some mistakes and are releasing some things we’ve been asking for. But you’re right, they’ve consistently shown that they have a vision and it’s right no matter what the people who buy there games think.

Am I considered old when I sigh and remember the days when the customer was valued and listened to? Pretty sure that was just a few years ago

You know there’s more people involved with the story than just Brian Reed? Not to mention that what he intended for the story might just have been restricted by game resources. It’s a very difference experience compared to writing a novel or a script for something like a movie or TV show.

> 2533274842918190;19:
> You know there’s more people involved with the story than just Brian Reed? Not to mention that what he intended for the story might just have been restricted by game resources. It’s a very difference experience compared to writing a novel or a script for something like a movie or TV show.

Then explain Halo Escalation and Spartan Ops.