Is 343i actually "receiving" Halo: Reach?

I would like to know. I am confused about what Frank said about 343i taking charge of the game. Was it delayed or something? Because I see that Bungie is still doing Reach until April or maybe May.

Well I don’t see it as a “hand over” like we may think it is. What I mean is that these things take time. I’m sure Bungie couldn’t just plop all aspects of Reach down on 343i’s lap all at once. I believe the process has begun long before we knew about it with the erection of the Defiant Map Pack, but I don’t know when the culmination will occur.

Could be months down the road like you said. But I believe more and more, Bungie will release control of Reach to 343.

> Well I don’t see it as a “hand over” like we may think it is. What I mean is that these things take time. I’m sure Bungie couldn’t just plop all aspects of Reach down on 343i’s lap all at once. I believe the process has begun long before we knew about it with the erection of the Defiant Map Pack, but I don’t know when the culmination will occur.
>
> Could be months down the road like you said. But I believe more and more, Bungie will release control of Reach to 343.

So there wont be no clear statement saying 343i is taking Halo?

This should clarify some:

• Bungie is not making any new content for Halo Reach, such as maps.
  • Bungie are not making any engine changes, because the coding is hammered steel, and because the vast majority of their staff is working on their new IP.
  • 343i will continue in the months and years ahead to create and release new content for Halo Reach.
  • Bungie will still continue to monitor and host stats, as well as to manage the daily operation of Halo Reach, the most notable aspect of which are matchmaking hoppers, gametypes and map variants.

The closest thing to an actual “hand-over” would be when the stats monitoring is transitioned from Bungie and b.net to 343i and their website, and or the actual Halo Waypoint on XBL. Likelly, this will happen gradually, and not all at once, but that’s impossible for me to say.

When are we going to see this transition? We don’t know. I predict that Bungie is going to announce their new IP with Activison at E3 2011, and because their focus will start to shift towards that IP, I believe that we will see a nearly full transition within 12 to 18 months, at most I’d say. Most of Bungie’s staff are currently working on their new IP, with only a small skeleton crew to manage the daily operation of Halo Reach.

All of the information in the list above is found in the two most recent BWU(primarily the second to last one 03/04/2011) and the Defiant Map Pack commentary. The points regarding the timeframe of the transition, and the announcement of Bungie’s new IP is the product of my speculation as a fan, based purely on recent hints dropped in BWUs, and rising chatter, and some deduction. None of this information should be considered to be the answer of a Microsoft/343i/Bungie employee, as I’m neither.

Wait so 343i isn’t going to handle Matchmaking and its gametypes, maps, and playlists?

Alot of views…

> Wait so 343i isn’t going to handle Matchmaking and its gametypes, maps, and playlists?

Yes they are, but not yet. It’s a part of the “hand-over”, if you will. For the time being, the points above stands. As we progress through the year, there will be a transition from Bungie’s servers to 343i’s servers. I’d think 343i wouldn’t start handling the operation of the until all of the data from Bungie’s servers are safely stored on 343i’s servers. And take note that 343i will handle new maps, but Bungie will(for the time being) handle the map variants that gets put into matchmaking.
Because 343i don’t have this data, or the ability to alter any operations of MM directly, you’ll often be redirected to the Optimatch forum on b.net if issues, questions or wishes turn up in threads in this forum. I know that I do that a lot. We do it because there is no way for 343i to implement fixes and alterations into matchmaking.

:slight_smile: If there’s any more you’d like cleared, up, I’ll answer to the best of my abilities.

When the takeover is 100% complete is it likely 343i will just explode their love all over our slack jawed faces in the form of free maps etc?

Or will it become a huge cash cow for MS?

Obviously I’m hoping its the former, I’d love some serious generousity in the form of new maps/armor/dlc to really get Reach back into the high numbers. (400k+)

I honestly hope they just saturate us with content.

> When the takeover is 100% complete is it likely 343i will just explode their love all over our slack jawed faces in the form of free maps etc?
>
> Or will it become a huge cash cow for MS?
>
> Obviously I’m hoping its the former, I’d love some serious generousity in the form of new maps/armor/dlc to really get Reach back into the high numbers. (400k+)
>
> I honestly hope they just saturate us with content.

Who knows :slight_smile: But, I’m pretty sure that you won’t see any more free maps from 343i than you would from any other AAA developer :wink: These thinks cost a lot of mony to make, you know. Consider that the Defiant Map Pack has been in the works for more than 6 months, and quite a lot have been involved in that process, so you can imagine the cost of merely the hours of pay for the employees of both 343i and Certain Affinity. Very few things are free in this world :wink:

As to content saturation, 343i can put out new content without managin the operation of Halo Reach. The Defiant Map Pack is a testament to that.

I’m just glad if they try to update the game (unlike Bungie) and add the things promised before release if possible, or try to improve on what’s already there.
Personally I think it’s wrong that 343i are going to take the "fall2 for Reach in the future, bungie made an engine that they’re forced to work with. Even if they would want to do something really great, they can’t before the next major title, and they’ll get a lot of un-deserved complaints and flaming :frowning:

Still, I hope they do their best and prove that if they can save the sinking ship (Reach) they’re more then qualified to make the next game a lot better, since they can see where Reach went wrong and don’t repeat the same mistakes (unlike bungie). :slight_smile:

> When the takeover is 100% complete is it likely 343i will just explode their love all over our slack jawed faces in the form of free maps etc?
>
> Or will it become a huge cash cow for MS?
>
> Obviously I’m hoping its the former, I’d love some serious generousity in the form of new maps/armor/dlc to really get Reach back into the high numbers. (400k+)
>
> I honestly hope they just saturate us with content.

There were over 800,000 players online TODAY. I don’t get why people think Reach is sinking. It’s numbers are higher than Halo 3’s were at this point!

> > When the takeover is 100% complete is it likely 343i will just explode their love all over our slack jawed faces in the form of free maps etc?
> >
> > Or will it become a huge cash cow for MS?
> >
> > Obviously I’m hoping its the former, I’d love some serious generousity in the form of new maps/armor/dlc to really get Reach back into the high numbers. (400k+)
> >
> > I honestly hope they just saturate us with content.
>
> There were over 800,000 players online TODAY. I don’t get why people think Reach is sinking. It’s numbers are higher than Halo 3’s were at this point!

Well, it use to be 1,500,000.