Invasion Update Almost Perfect, But...

I’m pretty happy for the most part. The new maps are pretty great fun, and this isn’t really big nitpicking…

But…I can’t help but feel a little disappointed still in the lack of any extra community maps with things like Spartans Attacking/Elites Defending like on Spire or bomb planting phases like on the map Breakpoint.
Maybe they’re too tough to design in forge? I’m not sure, but they’re neat little twists for extra map flavor.

Also, I haven’t checked yet, but I have a feeling that Invasion Skirmish was not touched at all, meaning that its loadouts are still a broken mess from when 343 removed Evade from all playlists. Broken gametypes are not cool if this turns out true.

Plus, it doesn’t look like Invasion Slayer got any new maps to play on, not even the Defiant or Anniversary BTB maps for those with the map packs. Because the community maps don’t seem to allow this gametype, leaving the same old maps that we’ve had since launch.

Maybe there will be more updates for Invasion following this one that fix these things, but it feels like 343 could have gone the extra mile in sprucing up such a interesting playlist for this update.

Anyone feel the same?

we’re hoping for a secound invasion update, invasion slayer/skirmish didn’t get toched but the invasion slayer/skirmish maps and elite defence maps are still being worked on right now and none were ready in time for the june update.

fingers crossed that they’ll be in the july update.

> we’re hoping for a secound invasion update, invasion slayer/skirmish didn’t get toched but the invasion slayer/skirmish maps and elite defence maps are still being worked on right now and none were ready in time for the june update.
>
> fingers crossed that they’ll be in the july update.

Nice on Elite defence and Slayer/Skirmish. Any bomb planting too?

Either way, good to hear that more maps are planned for all gametypes regardless. I and everyone else will look forward to them if 343 pulls through for the community.

To give you some of the issues forgers discuss amongst themselves about these very points you bring up:

The bomb has issues. Its arm time and fuse time are not independent. It can get dropped in the water or gorge and the Assault Tier will stall indefinitely. There are a couple other bugs I do not recall off the top of my head.

To make an Elite defense, you need to build cohesion between the species and the architecture of the structures being defended. Most forgers think it is much easier to forge a Spartan Industrial theme and have Spartans defend. Creating Covy architecture is pretty much impossible. But the truth is the Forge World palette is forerunner, and Elites are the more likely species to defend a forerunner facility. The problem is that forgers tend not to be too creative in the realm of forerunner architecture.

And it is not obvious to most people, but Forge World is the only canvas that fully supports the bells and whistles of the Invasion Game Type and is the only canvas that can provide the room necessary for Invasion. The only other possibility is Tempest, but the sirens never turn off - Invasion doesn’t work with Tempest. Still other canvases, the sirens never turn on.

> I’m pretty happy for the most part. The new maps are pretty great fun, and this isn’t really big nitpicking…
>
> But…I can’t help but feel a little disappointed still in the lack of any extra community maps with things like Spartans Attacking/Elites Defending like on Spire or bomb planting phases like on the map Breakpoint.
> Maybe they’re too tough to design in forge? I’m not sure, but they’re neat little twists for extra map flavor.

The map I’m working on currently has a bomb second phase, and Spartan offense. And in the department of “extra map flavor” the defenders’ base structure is based slightly off of Halo 1’s control room, but it connects to a wall/building extension that walls off the first phase. It also includes a plasma turret, a tunnel from the wall area of tier one to the base structure, and a tunnel circling around the back of the base structure to free up vehicle movement. I would call it more Boneyard-based than Breakpoint-based (as the first phase is based off of Boneyard’s, but with many tweaks, and the second tier’s bomb points are much like Boneyard’s tier-2 capture points, but with their sides reversed), but it certainly combines elements from both.

Given a good amount of community help, I could have it matchmaking-worthy by the time of the July Update.