Invasion: The Artifact- An attempt to make maps less bland.

We all know that forge maps some times look a little bland. Well, I made This map to try to add some eye candy to maps. Around the map you may notice something of a forerunner compound, such as towers in the hills, bridges, and buildings about. Included in the file set is a rendered video walk through if you are interested. The invasion part of the map is your normal invasion map. The first phase is were the UNSC bomb a weak point in the sea wall, The second phase is to capture a control panel to unlock the core, and the final phase is to bring the core back to your landing craft. I would like to hear your feedback on the map, and any questions you have. Thanks for looking,

Hate to seem rude but personally, I think this looks more bland than most.
I’ve seen quite a few invasion maps and generally, they’re a bit better looking.

Yours seems to be Building - beach - wall- field - wall.

Now I mean this in as least cutting and cynical way as possible but just putting some stuff up on the cliffs and in the water does not make it less bland. The base layout -the foundation on which the entire map is built, the overall design- is what makes it less bland. Yours is very linear, at least it looks that way from the video. Regardless of how it plays, I think it doesn’t accomplish what you say it does; look less bland.

But hey, who am I? I’ve not made an invasion map myself. Maybe some other people think it looks great.

> Hate to seem rude but personally, I think this looks more bland than most.
> I’ve seen quite a few invasion maps and generally, they’re a bit better looking.
>
> Yours seems to be Building - beach - wall- field - wall.
>
> Now I mean this in as least cutting and cynical way as possible but just putting some stuff up on the cliffs and in the water does not make it less bland. The base layout -the foundation on which the entire map is built, the overall design- is what makes it less bland. Yours is very linear, at least it looks that way from the video. Regardless of how it plays, I think it doesn’t accomplish what you say it does; look less bland.
>
> But hey, who am I? I’ve not made an invasion map myself. Maybe some other people think it looks great.

I understand what you mean, no hard feelings. Invasion maps are linear, aren’t they? Boneyard is Ship-Base-Core drop off. Boneyard has multiple routes to the objective and so do this map. I wish I could make the map bigger and add more foundation, but the terrain of forge world and Budget does not allow it to continue well. Just because you have not made a Invasion map still gives you rights to criticize.

> I wish I could make the map bigger and add more foundation, but the terrain of forge world and Budget does not allow it to continue well.

Bigger isn’t always better. In fact, given the limits and instability of Reach’s graphics engine, it’s usually worse.

I think what Negrumir was referring to, when he was talking about linearity, was the flow and the sectioning. Most of your map looks like this big, open field. There may be multiple paths from one piece of cover to another, but regardless of the path you take, you’re still in the same space. And most of those paths look like they would play the same and feel the same as well, with the only distinction being travel time.

Something to try would be dividing the map into smaller areas, and creating interesting routes between them. It can be an outdoor-themed map without being completely open and barren. Try adding some dividing walls or large structures in the middle, rather than on the edges. Also consider making the map smaller; one of the biggest problems with Invasion maps is that players often spend more time walking than fighting.

All that said, however,…

> Just because you have not made a Invasion map still gives you rights to criticize.

…Acknowledging this automatically puts you above at least 50% of the entire Reach community, in terms of design expertise.

> I understand what you mean, no hard feelings. Invasion maps are linear, aren’t they? Boneyard is Ship-Base-Core drop off. Boneyard has multiple routes to the objective and so do this map. I wish I could make the map bigger and add more foundation, but the terrain of forge world and Budget does not allow it to continue well. Just because you have not made a Invasion map still gives you rights to criticize.

David put in a much clearer way, most of what I was saying.

And yes, you’re right, Invasion maps are linear. That’s why I mostly don’t like them.
Boneyard is too linear and Spire is too unfocused. Breakpoint is much better in my opinion as the attacking team has the height advantage to start off, plus the map plays in a much less straight forward design.

I also agree that the terrain and budget make invasion difficult in forge. Best of luck with your map. I’m not saying anything about how it plays until I’ve actually played it. :slight_smile:

It looks far too open for the core carrier. There is very little cover, the carrier would be ripped apart within seconds. Think of Spire, while the area by the spire itself is rather open there are plenty of rocks around the edge of the map that the core carrier can use. Now look at Boneyard, there is a large tower that the Elites can use as cover from snipers. Your map has none of that. Maybe add some small buildings and/or rocks for cover so when the core carrier gets shot at from range there is adequete cover for them.