Invasion: Epitomising Halo Reach.

What I mean by that is, it was touted as such a hugely great thing pre-release, and the Beta only fuelled it’s hype. It was fresh and different, much like Reach’s general feel. It was grand and epic, a fitting swansong for the company that made Halo what it is. But it wasn’t it wasn’t. At all. Reach has slipped into relative obscurity. No-one talks about it. No-one wants to play it really. It’s fell down whilst Call of Duty released Black Ops - a rehash in every sense of the word, but I digress - and the CoD franchise went from strength to strength, broke record after record.

That’s not how it should be. I’ll admit, I only started playing Halo in 2008 at Halo 3, but have since played every Halo game.I love Halo. It almost pains me to see it struggling so much. And to an extent anyway, Invasion is exactly the same. Pre-release, hyped to the max and played rather well in the Beta - considering it was a Beta. But for a number of reasons, it’s just not lived up to it. It’s stale. Not playable for any significant length of time. Infuriating at times.

Obviously, now 343i have taken over, it’s really the long road back to relevancy for Halo Reach, and Invasion, in my opinion, could be the catalyst for a relative revival for Reach. The general premise of a Spartan v Elite, three-tiered, Attack v Defence objective gametype is mouth-watering. If I were in charge of 343i, I’d have Invasion seriously worked on. Have some “Invasion 1.5” thing or something. Something to show that they mean business.

Do things like, add more maps, or variants of the current gametypes/maps if Custom Forge Maps are in fact an impossibility. I’m sure I’m not the only one that gets bored after a few games of either Spire or Boneyard, with the very occasional Breakpoint. If Community Maps are a possibility, have a huge Community Invasion playlist to test potential maps. I’m prepared to bet many orifices that the main thing stopping most people from playing Invasion is the lack of variety; the fact you’re essentially playing the same game over and over. It’s rare you’ll find a whole team of people wanting to play Invasion. Most people go in with the mindset of camping Banshee spawn.

Other potential widespread changes could eventually benefit Invasion too. A general Movement Speed/Jump height increase would, just because it is better. I’m still holding out for the Anti-Vehicle rounds to be removed from the DMR though I don’t hold out much hope of that. 6v6 is big enough for ALs “nerf” to be significant as there’s enough players to 'nade and/or shoot whomever uses the blasted Instant Invincibility Get Out of Jail Free card. I digress though.

Invasion is not beyond salvation. The general premise is still there. It just needs to be harnessed correctly. Just imagine an Invasion that’s good enough for lots of people to want to play!

Opinions welcomed, as with most forums. Anything else you guys think needs to change about this disappointment of a playlist?

I don’t play it, but I’ve heard a lot about League of Legends. And Heroes of Newarth. And, y’know, just about every other spawn of Defense of the Ancients. Something that they have in common is that there is, primarily, just a single map that is played over, and over and over again. And they love it. And I can’t help but wonder about the quality of gameplay in Halo that new maps are deemed necessary. Or is it more commentary on the community? There’s no knowing, I suppose.

Basically, because Invasion is repetitive. Its real weakness is that it’s methodical, and destabilizing the defenders’ abilities to set up tight holds would add some more chance back into things. Attackers should have the advantage. But Invasion is otherwise still going to be stale, I think. Because Invasion is procedural and for that unobtainable reason that means we need new maps to keep enjoying the game.

Wow, no comments yet? I completely agree OP, Invasion has so much potential but is ruined by drastically unfair combat sequences (Phase 1 of Spire and Boneyard) and same old stale maps. Breakpoint needs to be far more common in Invasion. Also pathetic lineups like Invasion Slayer on Hemmorage need to go, and be replaced with some of the amazing Invasion masterpieces the community has crafted.

Just my $0.02

Invasion is perhaps the least repetative when it comes to actual gameplay. I’ve dropped out of pods, gone up gravity lifts into covenant cruisers, blown up bridges, jumped off of cliffs into an awaiting nest of shield doors made to look like some sort of power cupling, scaled mounments, etc. (All done in custom games of course.)

Try creating a Invasion map people enjoy. Its next to impossible. The tasks before you are infinitly more challenging than say a competive map. Competive slayer or objective maps require usually a symetrical design, followed by placing power weapons evenly apart from both Red and Blue teams. Once that is done, you’re golden.

But Invasion is a entirely different beast all together. Both Spartans and Elites have different strengths and weaknesses. Their weapons function differently, as do their vehicles. How many hogs does it take to take down a banshee? How do you balance out the scorpion, while also not making it utterly useless in game? How do you keep it from overwelming the other team? What should the spawn times be for the laser or rocket launcher? Too long and you never really get to use them in later phases, too short and the weapon is far too powerful and dominates the map.

Invasion maps are hard to make, which is probably why so few of them appear in matchmaking, while making a objective or slayer map is far easier. I can’t tell you the swamp that is Invasion maps. Everyones made one, but few have ever done it well.

>

The problem isn’t just weighting, it’s the fact that not many people go into Invasion with the Noble Maps. I say it should be a requirement.

>

I hear where you’re coming from, but when I talked about this on another forum a lot of people said they’d played a lot of enjoyable custom maps, and play custom games Invasion more than Matchmaking because of this. The Community Invasion playlist would act as a Beta for the maps, 343i could tweak them if they wanted to. Back when the Forgetacular competition was going they had an Invasion category but no map yet.

I agree with little to nothing with the OP.

This however;

> Basically, because Invasion is repetitive. Its real weakness is that it’s methodical, and destabilizing the defenders’ abilities to set up tight holds would add some more chance back into things. Attackers should have the advantage. But Invasion is otherwise still going to be stale, I think. Because Invasion is procedural and for that unobtainable reason that means we need new maps to keep enjoying the game.

I do agree with in spirit.

Invasion is Spartan vs Elites. There is an Invasion-mode which is built similarly to Battlefield’s Rush mode. As an objective is taken, more of the map and vehicles (in Halo, weapons too) are opened.
Unlike Battelfield, very few maps support this game-type specifically in Reach. Only 3 in matchmaking currently (come on Breakneck).
Because of this, the variety offered up in Invasion game-types is limited in shall we say, “higher levels.” Preferred player patterns make playing Invasion very predictable and if the teams are lopsided, oh boy… I mean oh the horror. I find a corner and defend that if I have a team that doesn’t want to defend the base :smiley:
It’s not that I am against the whole standardisation of game-play that eventually occurs. It’s that as mentioned, I’d like the scenery to change more often to force a change in patterns.
I love Invasion as is when understanding it is an introductory game-type. BC2 maps were better designed than BC maps when considering its Rush mode game-play mix-ups. It comes with the the territory me believes and I am looking forward to Halo4 Invasion game-types.