Introduce Ricochet Friendly Fire in TU and/or Halo 4

Immature betraying is a huge problem in the Halo series. When all players play respectfully, it is a non-issue; but this is rarely the case. Everyone has been betrayed for a power weapon or a vehicle. Many want friendly fire removed due to these immature actions. However, many don’t want friendly fire removed because it adds a tactical aspect to the game.

There is a solution for this that will satisfy both cases: Ricochet damage.

Ricochet damage is where if you shoot a teammate, it damages YOU, not your teammate. This damage scheme prevents players from intentional betraying because it takes the “fun” out of it. You only damage yourself. You cannot steal a weapon or destroy a teammate’s vehicle. On the flip side, it still leaves the strategic element of careful firing and grenade throwing. You would not want to chunk a grenade near a battling teammate, because you could effectively kill yourself. This would punish grenade spamming even more, as people will feel much worse about accidentally committing suicide than they would accidentally killing a teammate.

Personally, I get tired of having to fight against my own team. This is a wonderful solution that will completely improve the Halo experience for all types of players.

Please, if possible, include this in the Reach Title Update. And if it can’t be implemented by then, add this feature for Halo 4 (at least for custom games). In Halo 4, you could even add an announcer audio like “ricochet suicide” or something similar.

Summary: Ricochet damage is where if you shoot a teammate, it damages YOU, not your teammate.

Friendly Fire ON: You get punished for others’ misfires or immature actions. Adds tactical gameplay element.

Friendly Fire OFF: No one gets punished for misfires or immature actions: No tactical gameplay element.

Ricochet Damage: You get punished for your own misfires or immature actions. Keeps tactical gameplay element.

That is actually not a bad idea, it is better than removing friendly fire all together and it would probably work better than the friendly fire system we have now.

so in richochet fire… i fire a rocket into a group of 4 players (2 enemies, 2 teammates) and under this system i kill both enemies and get a suicide? in a team based game your entire team should feel the repercussions of your actions. ie, if you make a bad decision and shoot the scorpion at the wrong moment you do actually blow up the warthog with three teammates and the flag carrier inside of it.

under friendly fire i kill 2 enemies and get 2 betrayals. this is the way it should play out, actions have real consequences.

friendly fire is a part of Halo cannon. if you don’t want to play with friendly fire then you really just don’t want to play Halo.

++++

besides, ricochet friendly fire will STILL have the same amount of griefers as the old system. before someone might shoot you and kill you to get the sniper (etc.) now all they have to do is stand in front of you, run on top of your grenade, jump on your scorpion, etc. and they can get you to kill yourself.

Nope.

It’s not a bad idea. Though while I’m no expert, I would have to believe creating a feature like this would be ridiculously complicated.

> besides, ricochet friendly fire will STILL have the same amount of griefers as the old system. before someone might shoot you and kill you to get the sniper (etc.) now all they have to do is stand in front of you, run on top of your grenade, jump on your scorpion, etc. and they can get you to kill yourself.

Unfortunately, when you think about it, he’s right.

Only have ricochet for bullet weapons and not explosives and vehicles. I mean if there is say 3 enemies in a rom and 1 team mate i shot my rocket and i can still get away with more kills for my team

> besides, ricochet friendly fire will STILL have the same amount of griefers as the old system. before someone might shoot you and kill you to get the sniper (etc.) now all they have to do is stand in front of you, run on top of your grenade, jump on your scorpion, etc. and they can get you to kill yourself.

This is the problem that’s prevalent no matter which system is used. If there’s friendly fire, you get team-killed or accidentally betray someone and get booted from the game. If there isn’t, or you use the ricochet method, all they have to do is stand in front of you to get you to kill yourself.

The real problem is the people, and the booting system. We shouldn’t be betrayed by griefers countless times, only to snap and retaliate ONCE and get kicked. Or accidentally betray someone and get kicked. Here’s an idea. If someone kills you once while you’re in a firefight, it let’s it slide. But if that one time is NOWHERE near any enemies, i.e. intentionally betraying, you get the option to kick that person. If someone shoots you constantly, but doesn’t kill you, after a while, you should be able to kick them.

These are just some ideas. There will be griefers no matter which system is used. The real solution would be to do something more sophisticated about dealing with them.

The only way that could work is if you got experience and cr points by what you do during a game. I hate to say it but the COD method of earning exp by doing individual things(headshots,kills, assists,etc.)was a brilliant idea and encouraged gameplay.