Interested in Getting YOUR Map in Reach's Matchmaking? Read

This thread has been pre-approved.

Hello fellow Waypointers,

As you may or may not know a group over on the Bungie.net forums (Community Cartographers) has been supporting Bungie’s Matchmaking sustain team by reviewing and testing community made maps for Matchmaking consideration. Having recently joined this team, I wanted to extend these privileges to our members within these forums. If you have a map you believe would be suitable for Reach’s Matchmaking, please post it in this thread. There are absolutely no guarantees your map will be reviewed or considered for MM and certainly no guarantees your map will be submitted to the Cartographers forum or placed in Matchmaking. The final call is Bungie’s… not ours. Having said that, please feel free to post your maps below using the following format:

Map Name: (including link)
Canvas Map:
Last Updated:
Screenshots*/Videos:
*at least one screenshot required
(Add gameplay video if available)

Ideal Player Count:
Best Gametypes:
Supported Gametypes:
Description:
Other Notes:
If you answer yes to any of the following, please list:

Supports Vehicles: Y/N
Power Ups on map: Y/N
Armor Abilities on map: Y/N
Budget Remaining:
Overall performance: (Noticeable lag/dumps/z-fighting/etc…?)
Split Screen Framerate Rating: (if tested, good/bad)

I will pass word of this thread to fellow Cartographers so that they can stop by and review your maps as well. If you have any questions about this process, feel free to contact myself via PM. Let’s try to keep this thread saved for map submissions only. Remember, framerate is a top priority here. Test your map for screen lag in all areas of your map in single as well as split-screen. Maps with major performance issues are passed over rather quickly.

Let’s see what you’ve got!

Apologies for this non-map post, but I just wanted to thank you for your willingness to include Waypoint members in the map submission process! I know we can all benefit from their creations. :slight_smile:

Map Name: Catacombs
Canvas Map: Forge World
Last Updated: 4.23.2011
Screenshots:
Blue Tunnel
Hall of War
We Will Rock You
The Recover Song
Callout: Glass Launcher
The Red Base
Epic Flag Run
Gameplay Video:
Catacombs by Alzarahn on YouTube
Ideal Player Count: 8(4v4)
Best Gametypes: Capture the Flag, Assault, Team Slayer, Bro Slayer
Supported Gametypes: Assault, One Bomb Assault, Capture The Flag, One Flag, Head Hunter, Infection, Safe Havens, Juggernaut, King of the Hill, Crazy King, Oddball, Slayer, Team Slayer, Swat, Team Swat, Snipers, Team Snipers, Stockpile, Territories, 3 Plot Territories, Lang Grab
Description:
“Stay a while and listen…”
Catacombs is a medium size arena capable of hosting many free for all and team objective gametypes. The arena’s initial design was based heavily upon the randomized dungeon maps of the RPG game Diablo. Although some aesthetics may have taken a different turn from the Blizzard Entertainment franchise, the primary layout still contains many similarities:

Overhead Map of Catacombs

Supports Vehicles: N. Mongooses have been removed in latest version.
Other Notes:
XForgery Feature
ForgeHub Favorite
Featured on “Halo Reach Forges” by Machinima.com’s GameOverStudios

1,908 Downloads, 44 Likes. And counting :wink:

You can find the original thread for Catacombs here
Additional links follow:
Catacombs on ForgeHub
Catacombs Feature at XForgery
Catacombs on ForgeHub Favorites VIII
Catacombs on Halo Reach Forges
Budget Remaining: $1470($2280 without weapons)
Overall performance: Great performance. No noticeable lag or screen problems. Tested since release date, no known gameplay issues.
Split Screen Framerate Rating: Works just fine in Custom Games, tested by myself and friends. No known issues, confirmed by playtesters.

Map Name: Sphere
Last Updated: 5.21.2011
Screenshots:
The Sphere
I Know Kung-Fu
Sunshine on my Shoulder
So close yet so far
Cool your jets
Bullets for Bacon
Accupuncture like a boss
Ideal Player Count: 8(4v4)
Gametypes: Team Rocketeer & Team Rolling Heads
Description: Sphere is an enclosed arena shaped like the inside of a ball, with a wide and expansive field of view.

Team Rocketeer
Gameplay is relatively simple and similar to normal slayer gametypes. The goal of the game is to score as many kill points as possible, through any means available. Remember, style counts. The winner is the first team to score 50 or more points.

Points List
Kills +1
Deaths 0
Suicide -1
Betrayal 0
Leader Kill +0
Headshot +1
Pummel +2
Assassination +5
Splatter 0
Sticky +2
Spree +1

This custom gametype provides the Initial Loadout; Jet Pack + Rocket Launcher. The gametype also provides each player with 4x Plasma Grenades, a Random secondary weapon, Bottomless Clip, and Infinite Armor Ability. There are no additional weapons available upon this map. Each Custom Powerup rewards the player with 300% Damage for 30 seconds, turning even the weakest weapon into a powerhouse. These players are marked with Waypoints.

Team Rolling Heads
This gametype is based on Headhunter, with one stationary capture zone located on the ceiling. The goal of the game is to score as many skull points as possible, by using evade to reach the capture zone. Style is no longer important, what matters is strategy. The winner is the first team to score 10 skulls at once or 25 or more total points.

This custom gametype provides the Initial Loadout; Evade + Grenade Launcher. The gametype also provides each player with 4x Each Grenades, a Random secondary weapon, Bottomless Clip, and Infinite Armor Ability. There are no additional weapons available upon this map. Custom Powerups are disabled and the holes are filled in with blocks.

Supports Vehicles: N.
Other Notes: You can find the original thread for Sphere here
Budget Remaining: $9140
Overall performance: The overall performance of the map is excellent, the gameplay is tons of fun. The map is so simply constructed that it does not produce framerate issues.
Split Screen Framerate Rating: Works just fine in Custom Games, tested by myself and friends. No known issues, confirmed by playtesters.

Hello, My maps are not a good to even be looked at, but I have a friend called Godly Perfection, who made a great map called “Think twice” Take a look at it.

> Hello, My maps are not a good to even be looked at, but I have a friend called Godly Perfection, who made a great map called “Think twice” Take a look at it.

Godly has already submitted this map to our official group and it has been passed along to CC. Thanks for the heads up though!

Oh, and you guys are welcome to discuss maps here, I just didn’t want this to turn into a discussion only thread with maps being overlooked.

> > Hello, My maps are not a good to even be looked at, but I have a friend called Godly Perfection, who made a great map called “Think twice” Take a look at it.
>
> Godly has already submitted this map to our official group and it has been passed along to CC. Thanks for the heads up though!
>
> Oh, and you guys are welcome to discuss maps here, I just didn’t want this to turn into a discussion only thread with maps being overlooked.

First of all, thank you Homeboyd903 for starting this thread!

Question: In your opinion, would it be worth me submitting one of my racetracks? I know there are no “race” maps in matchmaking right now, but a man can dream :slight_smile:

Will a race map even get looked at?

Thanks!

This is cool… But honestly I doubt the skills of the Cartographers. It seems like they don’t know what a good map is. After playing Kingdom in The Arena, I didn’t know if the Cartographers even have the skills to map out a good map. Honestly Synapse is too easy to spawn-trap and is just too small for 4v4. It might be a good 2v2 map but certainly not 4v4.

Fair enough, but please inquire before you jump to conclusions about how the process works. Maps are recommended by us to Bungie. Bungie certainly still has the capability of selecting maps on their own and adding them to Matchmaking on their own. If a map we recommend to Bungie is acceptable in internal testing and is considered balanced and fun, it’ll get a run in Matchmaking.

To add, am I to assume that one persons opinion on a map should be the make or break point for it to be considered for Matchmaking? Maps you have mentioned are widely popular across all boards. Sure there may be some issues that need to be balanced out and updated but you have to give the author and Bungie time to allow for these updates to happen. If the map has issues and they aren’t addressed by the author, people will stop voting for the map and it will be pulled from the playlists. Not to mention Kingdom and Synapse were both created by people who are not Cartographers.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask and I’ll touch on them where I can, but give us the benefit of the doubt before assuming too much.

> This is cool… But honestly I doubt the skills of the Cartographers. It seems like they don’t know what a good map is. After playing Kingdom in The Arena, I didn’t know if the Cartographers even have the skills to map out a good map. Honestly Synapse is too easy to spawn-trap and is just too small for 4v4. It might be a good 2v2 map but certainly not 4v4.

> Fair enough, but please inquire before you jump to conclusions about how the process works. Maps are recommended by us to Bungie. Bungie certainly still has the capability of selecting maps on their own and adding them to Matchmaking on their own. If a map we recommend to Bungie is acceptable in internal testing and is considered balanced and fun, it’ll get a run in Matchmaking.
>
> To add, am I to assume that one persons opinion on a map should be the make or break point for it to be considered for Matchmaking? Maps you have mentioned are widely popular across all boards. Sure there may be some issues that need to be balanced out and updated but you have to give the author and Bungie time to allow for these updates to happen. If the map has issues and they aren’t addressed by the author, people will stop voting for the map and it will be pulled from the playlists. Not to mention Kingdom and Synapse were both created by people who are not Cartographers.
>
> If you have other questions, feel free to ask and I’ll touch on them where I can, but give us the benefit of the doubt before assuming too much.

(WAIT! Bs angel, before you attempt to edit my post, make sure that OP reads it as I feel I am not offending him and giving my true thoughts.)

I have to stop you where you said “balanced and fun”. Just because a map is symmetrical doesn’t mean it works out to be balanced as a competitive map. The map I am talking about is Kingdom. It’s one of the worst map to ever come into Matchmaking in terms of Arena. Why you ask? The reason I say that it’s one of the worst map to ever come into Matchmaking in terms of Arena is because of its long line of sight. You spawn in and literally get shot from across the map.

I feel there wasn’t enough testing to anticipate the problems with the map. Now you can say that it isn’t your fault but you could have catched that if you were testing it out more and told the Forger what the problem is. My request to the cartographers is that when you are submitting a map for Arena to Bungie, make sure you play the map and find out if it can be played at a competitive level.

And as to people liking Kingdom and Synapse, I feel they don’t understand what a good map is. Honestly the people who like the map are always able to dominate on the map and they feel that all it takes is a good team of players. I would like to expand but I already shed my thoughts to the Forger of Synapse so I don’t need to explain to you cause I am really tired from writing this long post o.o

Let’s continue this conversation via PM. I’d like to keep this thread open for map submissions.

> > Fair enough, but please inquire before you jump to conclusions about how the process works. Maps are recommended by us to Bungie. Bungie certainly still has the capability of selecting maps on their own and adding them to Matchmaking on their own. If a map we recommend to Bungie is acceptable in internal testing and is considered balanced and fun, it’ll get a run in Matchmaking.
> >
> > To add, am I to assume that one persons opinion on a map should be the make or break point for it to be considered for Matchmaking? Maps you have mentioned are widely popular across all boards. Sure there may be some issues that need to be balanced out and updated but you have to give the author and Bungie time to allow for these updates to happen. If the map has issues and they aren’t addressed by the author, people will stop voting for the map and it will be pulled from the playlists. Not to mention Kingdom and Synapse were both created by people who are not Cartographers.
> >
> > If you have other questions, feel free to ask and I’ll touch on them where I can, but give us the benefit of the doubt before assuming too much.
>
> (WAIT! Bs angel, before you attempt to edit my post, make sure that OP reads it as I feel I am not offending him and giving my true thoughts.)
>
> I have to stop you where you said “balanced and fun”. Just because a map is symmetrical doesn’t mean it works out to be balanced as a competitive map. The map I am talking about is Kingdom. It’s one of the worst map to ever come into Matchmaking in terms of Arena. Why you ask? The reason I say that it’s one of the worst map to ever come into Matchmaking in terms of Arena is because of its long line of sight. You spawn in and literally get shot from across the map.
>
> I feel there wasn’t enough testing to anticipate the problems with the map. Now you can say that it isn’t your fault but you could have catched that if you were testing it out more and told the Forger what the problem is. My request to the cartographers is that when you are submitting a map for Arena to Bungie, make sure you play the map and find out if it can be played at a competitive level.
>
> And as to people liking Kingdom and Synapse, I feel they don’t understand what a good map is. Honestly the people who like the map are always able to dominate on the map and they feel that all it takes is a good team of players. I would like to expand but I already shed my thoughts to the Forger of Synapse so I don’t need to explain to you cause I am really tired from writing this long post o.o

I’ll update this post later today with a map submission. That’s a promise. :wink:

I have a question though. 343 Industries are now in control of playlists aren’t they? Do you now recommend maps and gametypes to them instead of Bungie?

Map Name: Deathgrip
Canvas Map: Forgeworld
Last Updated: 6/4/11
Screenshots*/Videos: **screenshot
Ideal Player Count: 12-16
Best Gametypes: Slayer CTF
Supported Gametypes: Almost all, except invasion.
Description: Deathgrip is a BTB map built in the spirit of Halo classics Sidewinder and Waterworks. The action takes place on a large battlefield beneath a giant metal claw. Each team has a base and a guard tower connected via teleporter on either side of the map. Vehicular combat is encouraged as each team is granted a wraith and a falcon to engage each other with, but players on foot should have not trouble getting around as there is plenty of cover through the middle of the map.
Other Notes: I’ve tryed to utilize a unique and expansive part of forgeworld, and take examples from previous halo maps in designing Deathgrip. I hope I’ve created a solid Big Team Objective map, which is more than just using vehicles to spawn kill the other team into submission, and players must actually work together as a team to accomplish an objective. Other than that, I just hope everyone enjoys the map.
If you answer yes to any of the following, please list:
Supports Vehicles: Y
Power Ups on map: N
Armor Abilities on map: N
Budget Remaining: $ 2955 (i think)
Overall performance: seems fine
Split Screen Framerate Rating: seems fine

2 days later… heh kidding.

Jeremiah is running one last update in July, then 343 will have control. 343 will let you (and us) know how (and if) they want us to continue supporting the community through the Cartographers group or some other method (if at all). You know as much as I do right now on that front. For now, we’re helping for another month.

> I’ll update this post later today with a map submission. That’s a promise. :wink:
>
> I have a question though. 343 Industries are now in control of playlists aren’t they? Do you now recommend maps and gametypes to them instead of Bungie?

Map Name: [Distortion Lab](http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18499841&player=Halo Conceptor)
Last Updated: 6.6.2011
Screenshots: Middle Area
Middle Area Sword Spawn
Red Distorted Side
Red Distorted Side (Different camera angle)
Red Side Entrance
Red Base Side Room
Connecting tunnel between Red/ Blue Bases
Middle Area Entrance
Ideal Player Count: 4-10 players
Best Gametypes: 4v4 Team Slayer & 4v4 Team Objective gametypes
Supported Gametypes: All gametypes are supported (EXCLUDING RACE, INSANE GAMETYPES, & INVASION)

Description: Distortion Lab is a symmetrical, team based map built on a 45 degree angle, inspired by Halo 3’s “Distortion” by BuddhaCrane. This affect gives the players a feeling of playing in abnormal space, and feeling as if you would be able to walk up walls, jump farther, etc. The main concept of Distortion Lab is a red and blue base, supporting a large open area for multiple players, but is primarily a close to medium range combat map. Every inch of Distortion Lab has been carefully forged, assuring that there are absolutely no bumps, glitches, or lag on the map<strong><strong>. This is NOT a remake!</strong></strong>

Other Notes: Despite that is a close to medium range combat map, players have easy movement and space to move through corridors, and up/ down ramps, giving players easy access to their destination on the map.
DMR x4
AR x4
Needle Rifle x4
Plasma Repeater x2
Needler x2
Energy Sword x1
Frag Grenades x2
Plasma Grenades x2

Vehicles on map: N
Budget Remaining: 1210$

Overall performance: Very smooth gameplay, easy movement, many ways to travel with good cover.
Split Screen Framerate Rating: Excellent, tested with a Team Slayer game of 12 people.

lol, half the maps that are being submitted here are already in Blueprint…

Map Name: Rapture
Last Updated: 6/7/11
Status: Complete (although I still label it BETA until I can allow my OCD to say otherwise)
Screenshots:
[url=http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18687986&amp;player=Jealot &gt;Bird’s Eye View [Red Base](http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18687973&player=Jealot)
Blue Base
Spiral Tower & Pier
Twin Outpost’s & Laser Base

Ideal Player Count: 16 (more would be desirable)
Best Gametypes: Assault, Neutral Bomb Assault, Multi Flag CTF, Team Slayer
Supported Gametypes: Assault, Neutral Bomb Assault, One Bomb Assault, One Flag CTF, Neutral Flag CTF, Multi Flag CTF, Team Slayer
Description: Very large map that is roughly 3x the size of Hemorrhage, but the actual playing area ends up being about 2/3 of that space due to water hazards. Bases are at opposite, off-center, corners with an overstock load-outs of vehicles; the idea in mind here is when you lose your “favorite” vehicle, you’ll have a less-desirable, but still useful back-up to use until it spawns again (thus preventing unwanted very long time travel times by foot after getting fragged). For those who prefer to travel by foot, it is still a viable option with a network of 5 separate one-way teleporters that are strategically placed for use, but not abuse. Two teleporter entrances being at each base with exits at mirror locations on the map (one pair near the base of the “Spiral Tower”) and the other pair located near the base of their respective twin outpost towers also located near a spare Ghost. The twin outposts can see each other clearly as well ad the base they belong to and a neutral “Laser Base” which houses the only Spartan Laser on the map; they can also see the spawn location of the only Scorpion Tank on the map. The aforementioned “Spiral Tower” houses at the top the location of the Neutral Bomb or Flag for appropriate game types, as well as another teleporter sender which provides a quick escape, but not to a very safe location on the Pier in the middle of the map. Map is fairly “symmetrical”, although the terrain itself has different appearances due to some being “native” to the Forge world map, and some being added by myself in order to provide the symmetrical nature of the map; this provides both balance and aesthetic appeal.
Other Notes: The over-abundance of vehicles might at first seem to be too much, but I believe that the map lends itself well to such a plethora especially with the help of a healthy, but not overwhelming, stock of power-weapons to counter the vehicles on both side of the map.

Supports Vehicles: Y – 4xWraith, 4xRevenant, 6xGhost, 2xBanshee, 2xWarthog, 2xRocket Hog, 2xGauss Hog, 2xFalcon, 8xMongoose, 1xScorpion Tank
Budget Remaining: $0
Overall performance: Excellent. Current testing with medium amount of players has not shown any noticeable frame-rate drops or other performance issues in all areas of the map. A weird glitch occurred that sent a Revenant flying sky-high and crashing into the invisible ceiling of the Forge World, but I have been unable to recreate this bug; terrain location of said bug was edited anyway. Full 16-player testing still needs to be done (please PM me if you are interested is participating!).
Split Screen Frame-rate Rating: Excellent. More testing may be needed, but I was unable to discern any performance issues while running split screen on this map.

Sorry! Somehow the first screenshot link (Bird’s Eye View) did not get made to open into a new tab or window, and it is, I think, the most important one. The link still works, but if you do not want to have to hit “back” after looking at it, you will need to manually open into a new tab.

The other links should all work as intended.

Map Name: Culverin
Last Updated: 6/14/11
Screenshots*/Videos:
Link to file set with screens and flythrough

Ideal Player Count: 2-12
Best Gametypes: Slayer, CTF, Assault.
Supported Gametypes: Slayer, CTF, Assault, KOTH, Stockpile, Headhunter, Oddball, Territories, Infection
Description: Culverin is a medium-sized map set in Forge World’s quarry, built for two teams of 3 to 6 players to face off in almost every team-based gametype, from Slayer, to CTF and Assault, to Stockpile and Headhunter.

The map is almost completely symmetrical, with two bases, featuring their own man cannons and gravity lift elevators, on either side of a large walkway that divides the map, while opening up numerous routes of attack.

Inspired by maps suck as The Pit, Beaver Creek, and Countdown, Culverin was designed to work with a variety of gameplay styles, and support smooth, intuitive map movement. Every key location has a number of ways in and out, so whether you’re sprinting, sneaking, jetpacking, or somehow doing something in between, you’ll have something to enjoy.

Ramps, man cannons, and a teleporter provide access the the map’s central feature, the walkway surrounding the large, cannonlike bridge from which the map gets it’s name. With a sword up top, and grenade and rocket launchers below, controlling the walkway is the key to dominating the map. A plasma cannon strategically placed at the base of the rear building can be used against either team, or returned to your base to improve your defensive capabilities. Snipers are located in each base, along with an array of DMRs, Needle Rifle’s, Plasma Repeaters, and Needlers that do the map.

Supports Vehicles: N
Budget Remaining: $1335
Overall performance: No Z-fighting, no lag or framerate drops.
Split Screen Framerate Rating: tested in 2-player splitscreen, no framerate drops noticed.

That is a TON of vehicles… almost seems like there would be zero fighting on foot. How does these work out in full matches?

> Map Name: Rapture
> Canvas Map: Forge World
> Last Updated: 6/7/11
> Status: Complete (although I still label it BETA until I can allow my OCD to say otherwise)
> Screenshots:
> [url=http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18687986&amp;player=Jealot &gt;Bird’s Eye View &gt; [Red Base](http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=18687973&player=Jealot)
> Blue Base
> Spiral Tower & Pier
> Twin Outpost’s & Laser Base
>
> Ideal Player Count: 16 (more would be desirable)
> Best Gametypes: Assault, Neutral Bomb Assault, Multi Flag CTF, Team Slayer
> Supported Gametypes: Assault, Neutral Bomb Assault, One Bomb Assault, One Flag CTF, Neutral Flag CTF, Multi Flag CTF, Team Slayer
> Description: Very large map that is roughly 3x the size of Hemorrhage, but the actual playing area ends up being about 2/3 of that space due to water hazards. Bases are at opposite, off-center, corners with an overstock load-outs of vehicles; the idea in mind here is when you lose your “favorite” vehicle, you’ll have a less-desirable, but still useful back-up to use until it spawns again (thus preventing unwanted very long time travel times by foot after getting fragged). For those who prefer to travel by foot, it is still a viable option with a network of 5 separate one-way teleporters that are strategically placed for use, but not abuse. Two teleporter entrances being at each base with exits at mirror locations on the map (one pair near the base of the “Spiral Tower”) and the other pair located near the base of their respective twin outpost towers also located near a spare Ghost. The twin outposts can see each other clearly as well ad the base they belong to and a neutral “Laser Base” which houses the only Spartan Laser on the map; they can also see the spawn location of the only Scorpion Tank on the map. The aforementioned “Spiral Tower” houses at the top the location of the Neutral Bomb or Flag for appropriate game types, as well as another teleporter sender which provides a quick escape, but not to a very safe location on the Pier in the middle of the map. Map is fairly “symmetrical”, although the terrain itself has different appearances due to some being “native” to the Forge world map, and some being added by myself in order to provide the symmetrical nature of the map; this provides both balance and aesthetic appeal.
> Other Notes: The over-abundance of vehicles might at first seem to be too much, but I believe that the map lends itself well to such a plethora especially with the help of a healthy, but not overwhelming, stock of power-weapons to counter the vehicles on both side of the map.
>
> Supports Vehicles: Y – 4xWraith, 4xRevenant, 6xGhost, 2xBanshee, 2xWarthog, 2xRocket Hog, 2xGauss Hog, 2xFalcon, 8xMongoose, 1xScorpion Tank
> Power Ups on map: N
> Armor Abilities on map: N
> Budget Remaining: $0
> Overall performance: Excellent. Current testing with medium amount of players has not shown any noticeable frame-rate drops or other performance issues in all areas of the map. A weird glitch occurred that sent a Revenant flying sky-high and crashing into the invisible ceiling of the Forge World, but I have been unable to recreate this bug; terrain location of said bug was edited anyway. Full 16-player testing still needs to be done (please PM me if you are interested is participating!).
> Split Screen Frame-rate Rating: Excellent. More testing may be needed, but I was unable to discern any performance issues while running split screen on this map.