Interactive Maps and Power Cores

Power Cores are similar to skulls in Head Hunter. You acquire them from enemy corpses and can carry up to 10 of them.

If a player is killed, and he was holding multiple Power Cores, he will only drop one. This forces players to kill multiple enemies for multiple Power Cores rather than just killing one enemy that is holding multiple Power Cores. The only way to take all the Power Cores that an enemy is holding is to Assassinate him. Assassinating an enemy will give you every Power Core he was holding (up to the maximum of 10).

Power Cores are used to interact with the map. In the beginning of a game the map will be “dark”. As players collect Power Cores they can decide to “spend” those Power Cores to perform certain modifications to the map. For example an Energy Bridge could be powered on by X number of Power Cores to give your team another route into the enemy base. A Shield Door could be activated to make your own base more secure. A Man Cannon could be turned on for faster travel across the map. The Gate to the enemy base could be opened to allow for easy access to their flag.

Instead of just having a switch to open a gate, players must acquire Power Cores and then “purchase” the ability to open the gate. These interactive items on the map are not necessary to win but will help a team that takes advantage of them, like Map Control 2.0.

Thoughts?

Thats a great idea

That’s a great idea for it’s own gametype. But it’s not something I’d like to see in default gameplay.

If it was to be implemented, the assassination part would have to go. It encourages camping. But yes, I could definitely see new dimensions in a gametype like that.

Some ideas that come to mind for unique uses of Power Cores are:

-The Armory: Inside your base is a room with Power Weapons. You cannot access the Armory at the beginning of the game because of the Power Core requirements to open the door. It encourages players to leave their base to collect Power Cores. A risky maneuver would be to open the enemy team’s Armory door and take their Power Weapons but if you get killed after you open the door you have essentially paid for their Power Weapons.

-Orbital Support: Your base could have a uplink terminal that communicates with a ship above you in space. A certain number of Power Cores would allow you to power on the terminal and call in additional assets. A Pelican could drop off a Warthog. A MAC round could be called in (The terminal could present an overhead view of the map and allow you to chose the MAC round’s location).

-Energy Sword Generator: A machine that contains the inert handles of Energy Swords that must be provided with Power Cores to create a functional Energy Sword.

-Energy Shield Generator: A machine that contains inert handles of Energy Shields that must be provided with Power Cores to create a functional Energy Shield. Similar to Jackal shields. Shields can only be used with single handed weapons like pistols.

-Gauss Turret: A powerful turret that is permanently mounted on your team’s base. Could be temporarily powered up and fired (similar to the campaign when you defend that ship at the end). This would be especially helpful if your team was being spawn trapped by vehicles.

-Retractable Roof: There could be a hangar bay in your team’s base that has vehicles that can fly but no way to get them out. A certain number of Power Cores could cause the roof to retract and allow you to use your aerial support vehicles.

Self Destruct: A certain number of Power Cores could allow you to blow up your enemies base by a self destruct mechanism. It would cause the enemy to lose the spawn points inside their base as well as the ability to go inside (ideally the base would be a pile of rubble, at the least all entrances would be blocked off).

> If it was to be implemented, the assassination part would have to go. It encourages camping.

I liked the idea of a well timed Assassination being a tide turner during battle. It also gives the Assassination a purpose beyond showing off.

Now players have the decision of:

Do I quickly back smack him and take the one Power Core or do I slowly Assassinate him and take all of his Power Cores.

You may end up getting one Power Core even with an Assassination because there is no way to tell how many Power Cores an enemy is holding just by looking at him.

> Power Cores are similar to skulls in Head Hunter. You acquire them from enemy corpses and can carry up to 10 of them.
>
> If a player is killed, and he was holding multiple Power Cores, he will only drop one. This forces players to kill multiple enemies for multiple Power Cores rather than just killing one enemy that is holding multiple Power Cores. The only way to take all the Power Cores that an enemy is holding is to Assassinate him. Assassinating an enemy will give you every Power Core he was holding (up to the maximum of 10).
>
> Power Cores are used to interact with the map. In the beginning of a game the map will be “dark”. As players collect Power Cores they can decide to “spend” those Power Cores to perform certain modifications to the map. For example an Energy Bridge could be powered on by X number of Power Cores to give your team another route into the enemy base. A Shield Door could be activated to make your own base more secure. A Man Cannon could be turned on for faster travel across the map. The Gate to the enemy base could be opened to allow for easy access to their flag.
>
> Instead of just having a switch to open a gate, players must acquire Power Cores and then “purchase” the ability to open the gate. These interactive items on the map are not necessary to win but will help a team that takes advantage of them, like Map Control 2.0.
>
> Thoughts?

very cool idea, although i think the light switches idea, and changing the map could be done without the tie to a gametype (obviously, but i think we both agree buttons and switches, and changing maps are a phenomenal idea to re-use as they have used them in the past).

that gametype would be epic fun to play, like a more refined version of headhunter :smiley:

The idea of power cores and interacting with the map actually doesnt sound like a bad iea…maybe best if there was at least some beta test to se if people like it or not first though.

haha thats so cool… hopefully they see this

That’s actually a really cool idea, but I’m not sure if it should be implemented in base gameplay, but rather separate playlist(s).

You know how you can have multiple levels of Overshield and the color signifies what level you are on? What if your Sprint meter worked like that. When you spawn you have 3 full meters of Sprint. The meter would not regenerate like Sprint does now. You would need a Power Core to refill your Sprint meter.

It’s a brilliant idea, but I feel like the resources required to code this could be better used elsewhere. Not that it seems like it would be all that difficult to program, it’s just that a lot of these party gametypes like Headhunter and Stockpile end up being pushed aside for the classic objective gametypes like CTF and Assault.

It also seems like a game like this would go very slowly if the teams were evenly matched. As they traded kills they would be trading one power core continuously and they would never be able to unlock anything that required a large number of power cores to unlock.

EDIT: Now that I think about this, it’s basically like killstreaks that are rewarded with “Map Control 2.0” rather than airstrikes and such.

Its a really good idea, I’ll give you that, but its way to complex to be incorporated into normal gameplay. Its also a little bit wrong (in my opinion) in the same way that Armor Abilities were (they’re fun, but they are misplaced). As people before me said- maybe for a separate playlist. Sorry if I sounded like a -Yoink-.

> its way to complex to be incorporated into normal gameplay.

Making the mechanic as simple as possible was one of my main concerns.

You automatically pick up Power Cores when you walk over them so no action is required from the user there.

The only element it would add to the HUD would be a counter that showed how many Power Cores you possessed.

Powering on switches is already a part of Halo so that shouldn’t throw anyone.

The only problem I see is communicating with the player how many Power Cores something costs but that could be accomplished by having text pop up on the screen like when you are standing over a weapon. Over time you would learn how much each thing costs just like you learn weapon spawns and such.

> it’s basically like killstreaks that are rewarded with “Map Control 2.0” rather than airstrikes and such.

That’s a good way of putting it. These rewards don’t kill enemies for you. They make it easier for you to kill enemies.

> very cool idea, although i think the light switches idea, and changing the map could be done without the tie to a gametype (obviously, but i think we both agree buttons and switches, and changing maps are a phenomenal idea to re-use as they have used them in the past).

I never intended this to be a gametype but a feature that would permeate all gametypes.

When I said that the map would start out “dark” I did not mean literally dark rather that none of the machines on the map would be powered on. This does bring up a good point though. If Halo 4 makes uses of dark environments, turning the lights on could be linked to a switch like opening gates is.

Sound good, I’m not sure about the assassination thing though.