Integrating Community Maps into 4 Player Splitscreen Playlists

I have an idea that would allow us to integrate community maps into playlists which still support 4 player splitscreen(Examples: Invasion, Living Dead, and Team Objective).

Make it so that community maps do not show up in the voting selection when there are people with more than 2 players on a single Xbox. Now I’m not sure if it’s possible to restrict the appearance of maps based on this criteria, but in case it isn’t I have yet another idea to make this work.

Treat the community maps as DLC. Mark all players with more than 2 players on a single Xbox as not having this DLC and those with 2 players or less as having this DLC.

Thoughts?

That could work…

Interesting idea. If it could be done, I support it.

Good idea, but I don’t think it should be done to living dead. I never want to play a non-community map (boardwalk shivers) in that playlist.

Given that the number of people that play split screen with more than 2 players is so small, not only should this have been implemented from day one but we can even go ad far as removing 4 player split screen support all together. The more players in split screen the more the quality degrades. Reach is the first Halo game where split screen play is physically painful to play.

Make it so.

Seriously, best idea I’ve heard in a while. Except for the part where 343 still needs to evaluate all sorts of community maps (after they get run through Community Cartographers).

> Given that the number of people that play split screen with more than 2 players is so small, not only should this have been implemented from day one but we can even go ad far as removing 4 player split screen support all together. The more players in split screen the more the quality degrades. Reach is the first Halo game where split screen play is physically painful to play.

This. This, so much. And there’s somewhat of a precedent for such an action, as well.

When Bungie removed multi-user Theater, it was because the feature performed horribly, and unavoidably so. Maintaining or updating it would have diverted resources away from maintaining other things, and would have done nothing to make multi-user Theater perform better; they would have been maintaining a bad feature at the expense of good features.

Such a justification works here as well. Four-player split-screen performs horribly, and unavoidably so. 343 and Bungie are maintaining a bad and poorly-functioning feature at the expense of implementing good maps into playlists and improving gameplay for the most people possible.

My opinion to all this is for us to stop catering to the constant mash of quad Screeners. The vanilla maps on the disc show signs of stress on 4 play split screen. Worrying about whether a map support 4 play Splitscreen has caused a lot of brilliant maps to lose really cool features.

> My opinion to all this is for us to stop catering to the constant mash of quad Screeners. The vanilla maps on the disc show signs of stress on 4 play split screen. Worrying about whether a map support 4 play Splitscreen has caused a lot of brilliant maps to lose really cool features.

Yep, I have written a paper on this subject but do not want to post it here in fear of a mod merging it with some random thread.

> Given that the number of people that play split screen with more than 2 players is so small…

Bottom line is that 4P split-screen play is viewed as absolutely essential to the Halo experience. It’s not going away.

I think Bungie always viewed 4-player splitscreen as absolutely essential, given that the original popularity of Halo was rooted in that at LAN parties. However, given 343’s ambitious abbreviated schedule for producing Halo 4 (and on the 360), I wouldn’t be surprised to see it get the axe.

However, for Reach it should stick around, but I the original poster’s idea to limit maps based on whether or not there is a 3-guest player seems fine, if it’s possible.

> > Given that the number of people that play split screen with more than 2 players is so small…
>
> Bottom line is that 4P split-screen play is viewed as absolutely essential to the Halo experience. It’s not going away.

Halo 4 can reclaim that.

The number of people that play 4 player split screen is so small and that miniscule minority prevent quality community map integration.

Some things got to give especially when the population is so insanely low right now. Being arrogant will only drive more people away. Ditch 4 player local support for matchmaking since it clearly is “half -Yoinked!-” so that the game can be played to its potential but the 99%.