Inside Xbox the Kinect Show w/ Halo gameplay

Hey guys and gals, I just stumbled across an example of gameplay with Kinect on Halo. Go to your dashboard and select Inside Xbox and then select The Inventor of Kinect episode.

Just a couple minutes in you will see someone playing what looks like a Halo 3 map to me using a Kinect. Wow…if this is the future I just don’t know. Don’t get me wrong I have a Kinect. I bought it solely for the reason that it was announced that CEA might incorporate it.

I’ve played a few games and have enjoyed them, although my biggest issue is space. Anyways, I don’t know how I like the idea of playing an FPS like Halo solely with the Kinect.

Well check it out all, and I look forward to reading your opinions.

<4

Was BS Angel in that at all? I know she is supposed to be in a clip sometime thins weekend.

That was defiantly Halo.

Maybe that was CE’s campaign… If it is looks like campaign scoring.

Too lazy to turn on my Xbox, I assume that you are telling the truth. Anyways, that’s pretty cool.

> Was BS Angel in that at all? I know she is supposed to be in a clip sometime thins weekend.

No not that I saw. It was mainly the inventor guy…oops I forgot his name, talking about the origins of Kinect, and there was some Halo gameplay along with it. It was very short though. I watched it a couple of times. I couldn’t find the video on the website only on the dashboard.

<4

> > Was BS Angel in that at all? I know she is supposed to be in a clip sometime thins weekend.
>
> No not that I saw. It was mainly the inventor guy…oops I forgot his name, talking about the origins of Kinect, and there was some Halo gameplay along with it. It was very short though. I watched it a couple of times. I couldn’t find the video on the website only on the dashboard.
>
> <4

Ahhh , I saw it on Dashboard. I haven’t watched it though.

Be on the look out for the BS Angel clip. Supposed to be on “Inside Xbox” I think.

> That was defiantly Halo.
>
> Maybe that was CE’s campaign… If it is looks like campaign scoring.

What did you think about the gameplay though? Did you get excited about the idea of playing Halo like that or did you dread it?

With the little experience I have had with Kinect it just doesn’t seem accurate enough to me.

> Too lazy to turn on my Xbox, I assume that you are telling the truth. Anyways, that’s pretty cool.

Yeah I don’t know how cool it will be. I guess this is the future and we have to adapt to all situations, but it’s going to be difficult for me.

<4

I’m not too sure what to make of the Kinect Show on Inside Xbox…

Until motion capturing equipment is an exact 1:1 representation lacking any apparent latency within our home environments, I plan on avoiding games that use it. I’ll take a gaming controller, mouse/keyboard, or other physical control device any day over motion only controls. Besides, I don’t want to have to work out, all the time, when I’m playing a game to relax and enjoy its story(see Halo Trilogy Campaign).

Fruit Ninja and some other titles are pretty fun with the Kinect, I will admit, but a FPS…ehh… Although Duck Hunt, Halo-style, sounds pretty awesome, I’m not too interested in playing multiplayer (LAN or LIVE) for hours upon end when using the Kinect with/without some kind of motion input device. It does not appeal to me what so ever. Long live the Dukes of X-Box.

HOWEVER (hypothetical situation inbound)

If I was able to purchase an awesome mockup Assault Rifle controller and was NOT REQUIRED to use Kinect in future Halo FPS games, I might shell out the cash just to use it in campaign from time to time. How awesome would it be to come home from work and see your kids holding an AR while playing through Halo’s campaign? Granted that we could still use our default controllers with no Kinect/motion requirements, it sounds pretty awesome to me.

> Yeah I don’t know how cool it will be. I guess this is the future and we have to adapt to all situations, but it’s going to be difficult for me.
>
> <4

Although surgeons have some of the most advanced lasers and operating equipment out there, they still use scalpels. I do not see gaming controllers leaving the scene during my lifetime. If they do, I’ll simply step out the door with them. Dominoes, Monopoly, Battleship, and all the other board games will hold my gaming attention just fine. :slight_smile:

-Always Hope

> If I was able to purchase an awesome mockup Assault Rifle controller and was NOT REQUIRED to use Kinect in future Halo FPS games, I might shell out the cash just to use it in campaign from time to time. How awesome would it be to come home from work and see your kids holding an AR while playing through Halo’s campaign? Granted that we could still use our default controllers with no Kinect/motion requirements, it sounds pretty awesome to me.
>
> Although surgeons have some of the most advanced lasers and operating equipment out there, they still use scalpels. I do not see gaming controllers leaving the scene during my lifetime. If they do, I’ll simply step out the door with them. Dominoes, Monopoly, Battleship, and all the other board games will hold my gaming attention just fine. :slight_smile:
>
> -Always Hope

Yeah I like the idea of using a mock AR for the campaign, but like you said not for multiplayer. I agree that a complete replacement of controller based games is probably not happening in the near future, but perhaps with the next generation. That 3yr old at the end of the video is an example of the future gamer. They are starting out on Kinect style games, and might be more interested in those types of games in the future.

It is just frustrating right now that to be able to get the most out of your Kinect you really have to have a dedicated, fairly large area with absolutely no obstructions. I wish I had that type of living situation, but I don’t.

Holding On to Hope
<4

Yes, a DMR/AR/BR replica with working monocle, for a Time Crisis/Silent Scope like game for Kinect :slight_smile: Something that is meant to be played in bursts of half an hour but capable of playing for hours on end.

I think I have some more support in this thread for it non?
(if you don’t know and ask, it could be a wall or reply :wink:

> Yes, a DMR/AR/BR replica with working monocle, for a Time Crisis/Silent Scope like game for Kinect :slight_smile: Something that is meant to be played in bursts of half an hour but capable of playing for hours on end.
>
> I think I have some more support in this thread for it non?
> (if you don’t know and ask, it could be a wall or reply :wink:

Yeah I’ve been kinda suprised more people aren’t checking this video out and posting. I thought there would be more, but I guess it’s just getting drowned out by Halo Fest.

<4

The video is just Halo 3 footage on Snowbound.

I didn’t think the kinect was accurate enough to support the kind of precision speed inherent to FPSes