Input Latency

Ever since the update I have been experiencing occasional input latency. It gets really bad; almost half a second delay (think Halo 4 co-op). Lag is one thing, but this is intolerable. My controller is wired so I know it isn’t the issue. My internet speed isn’t phenomenal, but before the update the lag was hardly noticeable and now it’s like my controller is bouncing its signal off the moon. Anyone else experiencing this? Anything I can do to possibly fix it (other than get faster internet)?

EDIT:

Example

My aim is on-target but the bullet is slightly behind. It also felt like my trigger button wasn’t as responsive.

I don’t think it’s lag. I’ve noticed some weapons don’t take the 1st input you give them. Like with rockets nearly every 1st pull of the trigger does nothing. I had a similar issue with the bolt shot.

Its not not my controller cause I just got a new one.

> 2533274962122285;2:
> I don’t think it’s lag. I’ve noticed some weapons don’t take the 1st input you give them. Like with rockets nearly every 1st pull of the trigger does nothing. I had a similar issue with the bolt shot.
>
> Its not not my controller cause I just got a new one.

I’ve been testing it out on Shotty Snipers. The first input works, but the timing is definitely off for all of my shots.

> 2533274962122285;2:
> Its not not my controller cause I just got a new one.

Well that’s not necessarily true. A friend of mine had two faulty Elite Controllers before he finally got a working one.

It will be interesting to see if more people are experiencing input lag.

> 2533274810001991;4:
> > 2533274962122285;2:
> > Its not not my controller cause I just got a new one.
>
> Well that’s not necessarily true. A friend of mine had two faulty Elite Controllers before he finally got a working one.
>
> It will be interesting to see if more people are experiencing input lag.

To me the biggest indicator that it isn’t the controller is that the input lag isn’t constant. It comes and goes.

> 2533274855477511;5:
> > 2533274810001991;4:
> > > 2533274962122285;2:
> > > Its not not my controller cause I just got a new one.
> >
> > Well that’s not necessarily true. A friend of mine had two faulty Elite Controllers before he finally got a working one.
> >
> > It will be interesting to see if more people are experiencing input lag.
>
> To me the biggest indicator that it isn’t the controller is that the input lag isn’t constant. It comes and goes.

That’s a good point then. I hope they find a way to fix it.

> 2533274810001991;6:
> > 2533274855477511;5:
> > > 2533274810001991;4:
> > > > 2533274962122285;2:
> > > > Its not not my controller cause I just got a new one.
> > >
> > > Well that’s not necessarily true. A friend of mine had two faulty Elite Controllers before he finally got a working one.
> > >
> > > It will be interesting to see if more people are experiencing input lag.
> >
> > To me the biggest indicator that it isn’t the controller is that the input lag isn’t constant. It comes and goes.
>
> That’s a good point then. I hope they find a way to fix it.

Thats sort of how I felt for a long time with what was referred to as reticle lag / heavy aim. 343 supposedly fixed that in the Monitors Bounty update but I have had games that still felt the same way. It comes and goes and feels like your controls are overall sluggish. Kind of like your player is moving under water while the opponents are not and it takes ages to do things in game.

I’ve been slightly laggy since the patch. Sure, I’d have a blip here and there of bad latency. Now it’s basically every time I play. I get the delayed grenade throw, missed shots that should have landed, things like that.
It’s the worst on Pegasus 2. Whatever they did to that map has made it run like garbage.

Orion 2 needs to be trashed…again. It still sucks.

> 2533274810001991;4:
> > 2533274962122285;2:
> > Its not not my controller cause I just got a new one.
>
> Well that’s not necessarily true. A friend of mine had two faulty Elite Controllers before he finally got a working one.
>
> It will be interesting to see if more people are experiencing input lag.

Well the only thing is it’s not happening with my loadout weapons at all.

It could be faulty servers I’ve started getting stuck in the ground again as well. I used to call it pot holes, basicly your foot gets stuck in the ground and if you jump to brake free you fly up in the air about 2-4 times the jump height. Some times when you die your body waves all over the place and the foot is still stuck in the whole.

> 2535409260317548;7:
> > 2533274810001991;6:
> > > 2533274855477511;5:
> > > > 2533274810001991;4:
> > > > > 2533274962122285;2:
> > > > > Its not not my controller cause I just got a new one.
> > > >
> > > > Well that’s not necessarily true. A friend of mine had two faulty Elite Controllers before he finally got a working one.
> > > >
> > > > It will be interesting to see if more people are experiencing input lag.
> > >
> > > To me the biggest indicator that it isn’t the controller is that the input lag isn’t constant. It comes and goes.
> >
> > That’s a good point then. I hope they find a way to fix it.
>
> Thats sort of how I felt for a long time with what was referred to as reticle lag / heavy aim. 343 supposedly fixed that in the Monitors Bounty update but I have had games that still felt the same way. It comes and goes and feels like your controls are overall sluggish. Kind of like your player is moving under water while the opponents are not and it takes ages to do things in game.

All 343 did was adjust the sens/accel-curve of the aiming to make it feel more traditional… the latency still remains from time to time… I’ve felt it.

Sometimes it’s like your aim assist stops working and your aim slides all over the enemy, rather than “snap” and stick… One game my aim acceleration was set to 3, and I never touched it. I always leave it at 2… so I swear there are still some buggy things up with the aiming.

There is something up. Whatever adjustments they did make have all disappeared. Again a lot of these issues here all sound like server related things. Those adjustments that were made with this last drop were very minor and didn’t have nothing to do with the servers. That’s where a lot of this games problems hide. Im experiencing the same. Until they address this there is not much one can do. Its very hard to play around these type of issues because they change as the game plays. Not good!

Zippy.

Thanks for the responses. Glad to see I am not the only one who is experiencing this issue.

the latency is still bad, see it so many games. often its like my 1-2 first shot dont land at all. Picking up powerweaps, or thinking i do, and the guy running behind me gets it instead. yesterday i died in ctf fathom and dropped the flag on our porch, it was almost returned, but one of my friends ran to it and was standing on it for 1-2 seconds even did the “take flag” animation. but the flag just returned to home base.

I mean how is this happening when searching focused from denmark. I know we dont have any servers close (WTF Arent we using the german azure center 343??), but stuff like that shouldnt happen as much as ive gotten used to.

bums me out.

Same experience here

> 2533274873580796;10:
> > 2535409260317548;7:
> > > 2533274810001991;6:
> > > > 2533274855477511;5:
> > > > > 2533274810001991;4:
> > > > > > 2533274962122285;2:
> > > > > > Its not not my controller cause I just got a new one.
> > > > >
> > > > > Well that’s not necessarily true. A friend of mine had two faulty Elite Controllers before he finally got a working one.
> > > > >
> > > > > It will be interesting to see if more people are experiencing input lag.
> > > >
> > > > To me the biggest indicator that it isn’t the controller is that the input lag isn’t constant. It comes and goes.
> > >
> > > That’s a good point then. I hope they find a way to fix it.
> >
> > Thats sort of how I felt for a long time with what was referred to as reticle lag / heavy aim. 343 supposedly fixed that in the Monitors Bounty update but I have had games that still felt the same way. It comes and goes and feels like your controls are overall sluggish. Kind of like your player is moving under water while the opponents are not and it takes ages to do things in game.
>
> All 343 did was adjust the sens/accel-curve of the aiming to make it feel more traditional… the latency still remains from time to time… I’ve felt it.
>
> Sometimes it’s like your aim assist stops working and your aim slides all over the enemy, rather than “snap” and stick… One game my aim acceleration was set to 3, and I never touched it. I always leave it at 2… so I swear there are still some buggy things up with the aiming.

Don´t get me started on aim assist. In a lot of my games its non-existent and then when I suddenly have a game where it actually works as intended I´m like wow this is easy… Also when you have like lock on with a plasma pistol but the bolts don´t track at all but just go in a straight line. Other games it tracks the target wicked good. Its all networking and that’s not any of H5/343´s stronger sides.

> 2533274855477511;1:
> Ever since the update I have been experiencing occasional input latency. It gets really bad; almost half a second delay (think Halo 4 co-op). Lag is one thing, but this is intolerable. My controller is wired so I know it isn’t the issue. My internet speed isn’t phenomenal, but before the update the lag was hardly noticeable and now it’s like my controller is bouncing its signal off the moon. Anyone else experiencing this? Anything I can do to possibly fix it (other than get faster internet)?
>
> EDIT:
>
> ExampleMy aim is on-target but the bullet is slightly behind. It also felt like my trigger button wasn’t as responsive.

I posted about this issue a while back, way before the update. About a half second delay in firing after pulling the trigger. I didn’t get many responses and most thought it was my controller, which is also an Elite. It seems to happen most often with the Storm Rifle, so I couldn’t even close my skill gap :wink:

> 2533274968722829;16:
> > 2533274855477511;1:
> > Ever since the update I have been experiencing occasional input latency. It gets really bad; almost half a second delay (think Halo 4 co-op). Lag is one thing, but this is intolerable. My controller is wired so I know it isn’t the issue. My internet speed isn’t phenomenal, but before the update the lag was hardly noticeable and now it’s like my controller is bouncing its signal off the moon. Anyone else experiencing this? Anything I can do to possibly fix it (other than get faster internet)?
> >
> > EDIT:
> >
> > ExampleMy aim is on-target but the bullet is slightly behind. It also felt like my trigger button wasn’t as responsive.
>
> I posted about this issue a while back, way before the update. About a half second delay in firing after pulling the trigger. I didn’t get many responses and most thought it was my controller, which is also an Elite. It seems to happen most often with the Storm Rifle, so I couldn’t even close my skill gap :wink: Still happens, but very rarely now.

> 2535409260317548;15:
> > 2533274873580796;10:
> > > 2535409260317548;7:
> > > > 2533274810001991;6:
> > > > > 2533274855477511;5:
> > > > > > 2533274810001991;4:
> > > > > > > 2533274962122285;2:
> > > > > > > (The Coliseum “Rocket Mary” Double kill…)Its not not my controller cause I just got a new one.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Well that’s not necessarily true. A friend of mine had two faulty Elite Controllers before he finally got a working one.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > It will be interesting to see if more people are experiencing input lag.
> > > > >
> > > > > To me the biggest indicator that it isn’t the controller is that the input lag isn’t constant. It comes and goes.
> > > >
> > > > That’s a good point then. I hope they find a way to fix it.
> > >
> > > Thats sort of how I felt for a long time with what was referred to as reticle lag / heavy aim. 343 supposedly fixed that in the Monitors Bounty update but I have had games that still felt the same way. It comes and goes and feels like your controls are overall sluggish. Kind of like your player is moving under water while the opponents are not and it takes ages to do things in game.
> >
> > All 343 did was adjust the sens/accel-curve of the aiming to make it feel more traditional… the latency still remains from time to time… I’ve felt it.
> >
> > Sometimes it’s like your aim assist stops working and your aim slides all over the enemy, rather than “snap” and stick… One game my aim acceleration was set to 3, and I never touched it. I always leave it at 2… so I swear there are still some buggy things up with the aiming.
>
> Don´t get me started on aim assist. In a lot of my games its non-existent and then when I suddenly have a game where it actually works as intended I´m like wow this is easy… Also when you have like lock on with a plasma pistol but the bolts don´t track at all but just go in a straight line. Other games it tracks the target wicked good. Its all networking and that’s not any of H5/343´s stronger sides.

Why wouldn’t something like that be hard-coded though? To think that networking has any influence over snapping to a target displayed on-screen is just ridiculous. Granted, that target may not be represented as accurately as possible due to network connectivity/latency, sure… but why wouldn’t the game recognize the enemy player model as a local target at that point, and give you the benefits of aim assist based off of the player location on-screen?

Hopefully I’m making sense… this is how I understand and perceive what is (or isn’t) going on. I just had that last night though, playing FFA… The game was nearly aiming for me at one point, and it was SUPER easy to stay on-target. I did very well that match… other matches it is much more of a challenge to sometimes land a single shot! Like I’ll be lucky to get 2-3 shots on the guy… sometimes a guy will be no-shields and I have the hardest time cleaning him up. I don’t get it! lol

I really hate to do this, not trying to promote anything here… but in my latest montage, early on, there was a clip where I was experiencing some weirdness with the aiming… I remember thinking it even right as the gameplay was occurring.

(The Coliseum “Rocket Mary” Double Kill…) Look at how the reticle is sliding all over the player… it was much harder to clean up that kill than usual, and I was thinking/feeling that as it was happening. I really don’t think it’s an issue that’s “all in my head…”

> 2533274896367349;8:
> I’ve been slightly laggy since the patch. Sure, I’d have a blip here and there of bad latency. Now it’s basically every time I play. I get the delayed grenade throw, missed shots that should have landed, things like that.
> It’s the worst on Pegasus 2. Whatever they did to that map has made it run like garbage.
>
> Orion 2 needs to be trashed…again. It still sucks.

Try clearing the cache on your console. Mine was having similar problems, particularly on Orion II and Pegasus II. Since I cleared the cache it seemed to help a ton.

> 2533274797328974;19:
> > 2533274896367349;8:
> > I’ve been slightly laggy since the patch. Sure, I’d have a blip here and there of bad latency. Now it’s basically every time I play. I get the delayed grenade throw, missed shots that should have landed, things like that.
> > It’s the worst on Pegasus 2. Whatever they did to that map has made it run like garbage.
> >
> > Orion 2 needs to be trashed…again. It still sucks.
>
> Try clearing the cache on your console. Mine was having similar problems, particularly on Orion II and Pegasus II. Since I cleared the cache it seemed to help a ton.

Where can you do this? System Settings I presume…