Infinite should have required minimum internet

One thing they failed with in Halo 5 is allowing anyone with the slowest and unstable internet in the world to play. People teleporting and they know it. It’s a clear advantage. It’s time to out a stop to it. In 2021 there should be no players allowed that will ruin the experience. Require at least 20 or up to 50megabits to play at the bare minimum.

To my knowledge, ping (based mostly on physical distance from server being used) affects connections much more than speed. My understanding that for most casual gamers 15 mbps should be fine, and competitive gamers should be fine with 25 mbps. Gaming connections are all about the ping, not the speed.

Lock people out of a core game mode because they may not have the best internet (which I should remind you isn’t always an option for people.)? That’s the most ridiculous notion I’ve ever heard of. My max download speed at my old place was 1 MB/S, yet I could still play online games with a relatively low ping. You’re saying I should be locked out of a game I paid for all because my ISP had a monopoly in the area? That’s asinine.

Not a problem for me. My speeds are already pretty high

Games don’t really measure your connection off of speed but more so ping.
That’s essentially the measurement of how far your location is from the server you’re playing on.
Halo 5’s lower population now means that some servers are shut down and players now get dragged into a majority server.
I live in the UK but I’ll often play on US servers because more players in my match are from there.
People in AUS or that region suffer from the same thing too.

Locking people out of a game or mode because of their connection is a bit much. Sometimes your location doesn’t have good internet.
One of my good friends has the best internet available in their area and it’s literally 2mbps. He loves Halo, you’re proposing he now shouldn’t be allowed to play?
Let’s reverse the roles, what if it was you who had the bad connection and you couldn’t play? How would you then feel?

Games can be laggy, that’s the nature of things. Halo Infinite will have a lot of global servers that should make matches more stable for everyone.

Usually a poor connection puts the person with the poor connection at a massive disadvantage so long as you stay on the move and regularly peek them first, so I really don’t think it’s an issue. Why shouldn’t they be allowed to play? I don’t think the experience is ruined by people with high ping, sure you have to play a little differently since there peeker’s advantage is magnified tremendously, but the game is more than playable. I play shooters online with friends overseas sometimes and you can still have a good time, even if it is a little more difficult for the people with high ping to win duels. Are you telling me I shouldn’t even bother playing with people overseas since the experience is ruined in your eyes?

all depends from the server host where is located. i have a 100 mb line but the most match i play are with mexican players from usa servers and my ping increase.

Yeah Host is just as important as internet.

you might have a 100 GB a second net, but if the closest server from you is 1,000 miles away your ping will be extremely high.

The other forum members that have replied before me have said it all. I agree with them too, ping is the important thing. Not everyone can have the minimum speeds that the OP suggests. I know many players around my small town in rural Scotland that can’t get half those speeds, but their ping is in the range of 15 ms to 45 ms, that’s good enough imo.

Regardless of the technical metric used to measure the optimal connection for users,I am instinctively against keeping the game and experience out of the hands of entire demographics especially on something that will so obviously fall across geographic and socioeconomic class lines. Halo isnt an always on game and poor internet is just not enough of a plague in my opinion to do something so drastic. A better goal would be to work together to improve the overall internet infrastructure we all share and have access to.

> 2533274865778947;5:
> Halo Infinite will have a lot of global servers that should make matches more stable for everyone.

There’s like 20 server locations for Halo 5 and the closest to my location is 1700 miles away. I really hope they add more for Infinite…

For a single person (exclusive use of bandwidth) you can get away with 10-15 mbps. Anything over that is simply overhead for downloading games faster.

> 2533274841519598;10:
> Regardless of the technical metric used to measure the optimal connection for users,I am instinctively against keeping the game and experience out of the hands of entire demographics especially on something that will so obviously fall across geographic and socioeconomic class lines. Halo isnt an always on game and poor internet is just not enough of a plague in my opinion to do something so drastic. A better goal would be to work together to improve the overall internet infrastructure we all share and have access to.

If their socioeconomic status can’t afford them decent internet they can’t afford to be playing Xbox or pc. Let’s be realistic.

Also to those saying if the roles were reversed.

I wouldn’t be selfish enough to play online knowing I’ll ruin others experiences.

> 2533274820463069;1:
> One thing they failed with in Halo 5 is allowing anyone with the slowest and unstable internet in the world to play. People teleporting and they know it. It’s a clear advantage. It’s time to out a stop to it. In 2021 there should be no players allowed that will ruin the experience. Require at least 20 or up to 50megabits to play at the bare minimum.

I only get 18 Mbps minimum, so no, thanks. Plus, internet speed doesn’t have much to do with lag etc. it’s more of a ping “problem” as I live in AU I lag for my US friends but I have good internet.

From Google - According to Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index, Australia’s average download speed is 58.83Mbps with an average upload speed of 21.44Mbps (as of December 2020). That puts us 61st in the world.

Compared to U.S. - According to Ookla’s Speedtest.net, Americans are currently getting around 192 Mbps of download speed and 68 Mbps of upload speed through their fixed broadband connections — good for 11th in the world and nearly double the global average

P.S (most people who teleport in-game visibly teleport, so it’s just as much a disadvantage for you as it is them)

You really do have the double whammy, don’t you? Not knowing what you’re talking about AND proposing a terrible idea? Knocked it outta the park.

This would be a horrible exclusion of so many people, most of whom likely in poorer countries. Infinite aims to be the most welcoming Halo yet, therefore locking out people based on their internet speed would be extremely inconsistent with 343’s efforts. In Ranked, I might see why, for social, no way I would even think about supporting this.

> 2533274810989728;15:
> You really do have the double whammy, don’t you? Not knowing what you’re talking about AND proposing a terrible idea? Knocked it outta the park.

> 2535436322352331;16:
> This would be a horrible exclusion of so many people, most of whom likely in poorer countries. Infinite aims to be the most welcoming Halo yet, therefore locking out people based on their internet speed would be extremely inconsistent with 343’s efforts. In Ranked, I might see why, for social, no way I would even think about supporting this.

OP saying “If they can’t afford decent internet then they can’t afford to play games at all”. with a flimsy and highly untrue “If I had bad internet I wouldn’t play these games either.” retort is ludicrous too.

His second post basically confirms there’s no meaningful discussion we can have here.

As an Australian, this is stupid. Not everyone can afford good internet. (Me myself I have 100 kb/s which is like top tier internet here) And I know a lot of aussies who spend a lot of their time playing with Americans and such, Why should someone be punished for trying to spend time with friends?

In the sense of competitive gametypes I can sort of agree with you, but I still don’t think it’s a good idea.

> 2533274820463069;13:
> > 2533274841519598;10:
> > Regardless of the technical metric used to measure the optimal connection for users,I am instinctively against keeping the game and experience out of the hands of entire demographics especially on something that will so obviously fall across geographic and socioeconomic class lines. Halo isnt an always on game and poor internet is just not enough of a plague in my opinion to do something so drastic. A better goal would be to work together to improve the overall internet infrastructure we all share and have access to.
>
> If their socioeconomic status can’t afford them decent internet they can’t afford to be playing Xbox or pc. Let’s be realistic.
>
> Also to those saying if the roles were reversed.
>
> I wouldn’t be selfish enough to play online knowing I’ll ruin others experiences.

Personally, I disagree on a few on a few of the premises here to be honest. My apologies for the mini-rant that follows but I have many friends of various walks of life living all over the place, and I would hate to miss playing with them in all future Halo’s.

First, its important to remember that there was always a geographic factor to the issue, so even middle class rural folk or those that reside in nations without a heavy investment into widespread internet infrastructure are now just excluded over something they cant control without going to the extreme measure of moving. As someone who spent a good bit of time living in the backwoods of Michigan before moving to the west coast I would hate to be told I could never go online just because I was at risk of having the occasional laggy game, it was never enough to completely break the whole experience.

Next this premise that the poor can’t play video games is also very off. While lower classes certainly have less free time and amenities than the upper classes, they are indeed still humans who will inevitably find a way to live with a non-zero value of both amenities and free time, indeed if they didn’t they probably wouldn’t be surviving very well at all (and in the case of extreme poverty this is of course also a real issue but that’s another topic), so it is not out of this world that they would scrap by obtaining a cheaper used console and paying for the most basic internet package just soe they can spend their 1 free hour a week playing a game they love; only to be told at the end of the day by some rich person with 10x the freetime and one-tenth the sacrifice on their gaming setup that the poor don’t even deserve that because they are not elite enough for Halo, this would just be the ultimate insult to honest working class fans imo.

Finally this idea that we are ruining everyone’s experience by allowing those with less than perfect connections to play matches seems a bit hyperbolic. From my understanding there exist sorting methods already, when I was in MI I would be paired with others with more regular lag issues (again this doesnt mean 100% of games lag, just that its far more common), living in Seattle that changed very quickly and now almost none of the new players I pair up with report having to regularly deal with lag spikes or having to take the dreaded off day because it really did just completely crap out. Additionally, on the note of those days where the internet 100% fails, the truly unplayable connections always get DC’d in my experience as well, and too many of those will get you a temp ban-hammer so the spartans can try on a better day. This means that most laggers you experience are probably just going through a spike and are not so laggy as to literally ruin the whole game, so It’s not overly selfish for these people to want to be able to play a game they love and paid for even if the connection is less than perfect all the time. In the grand scheme of things it really shouldn’t be enough to ruin the whole game for anyone who isn’t super competitive and those spartans can always go back to ranked where poor connection always lose their way to the bottom and out of the population.

At the end of the day I understand the frustration, I am now privileged enough to live with fantastic internet and I play more Halo than most people probably should (including myself). Inevitably I also get paired with less than perfect connections on a not to uncommon basis, but in response to this I have never wished to exclude everyone else but instead I am reminded why we need to invest together into more available and reliable internet infrastructure for us all that way we can have our cake and eat it to…besides affordable high-speed internet can be used for so much good beyond video games that it just seems like a better halo experience is the fringe benefit to that.

> 2533274820463069;13:
> > 2533274841519598;10:
> >
>
> If their socioeconomic status can’t afford them decent internet they can’t afford to be playing Xbox or pc. Let’s be realistic.
>
> Also to those saying if the roles were reversed.
>
> I wouldn’t be selfish enough to play online knowing I’ll ruin others experiences.

Yes, let’s be realistic indeed, people will play what they want to play regardless of their socioeconomic status.
I don’t understand why you’re so deadset on gatekeeping video games from people because you’ve had a few bad experiences with connection.
Everyone has. And let’s continue to be realistic, I highly doubt you’ll really take the noble high road and not play the game you’ve paid for because your connection is suboptimal and don’t want to ruin others experience. That goes for anyone, it’s a ridiculous point to make.

End of the day, Halo 5 has less servers active because of a lower population because the game is old. Some servers were turned off because they don’t really need them all active since the game is now smaller than it was. That’s natural.

Halo Infinite will be launching with full global dedicated server support. You’re much more likely to be on a local server as are other players when Halo Infinite launches. Meaning your matches should be less laggy and things will be smoother.

The Flighting for Halo Infinite will begin as early as next week. Part of this Flight is to test the server capabilities. 343i are actively working to ensure that connection are optimal for the game when it launches.

I will no longer be responding to this thread as it’s just gotten ridiculous at this point.