Infinite needs Map Voting To Return

1. I never understood why this wasn’t a thing in the later games and why it was removed but frankly I never understood why reach styled map voting was taken away if there is a map no one likes why are we forced to play it at times just for the sake of those maps not falling into obscurity.
  2. Frankly I would like a halo reach style of map voting where you have the option to skip a series of options or vote on two or three options (for casual playlists not comp) or just have the options to select what maps I want to play on and only get match made into only those maps
    Edit: Option 2 of mine besides Halo reach voting would be like picking maps in CS GO where you can just straight up pick the maps you want to play like you pick the game types you want to play in MCC, then It gives you the expected search time for each of theses maps.
    -How do you guys feel about these suggestions? (frankly I’m not a fan of anything that really restricts my freedom and ability to play the game how I want to play it which is why i’m all for voting)

My only issue is my time playing a lot of Halo 3 and reach. I love the idea of map voting. But, what always occurs is after some amount of time, the community decides what the “good” maps are and always votes those in. I think that within casual games this is a fine system. But, in the competitive scene, I don’t like the idea. Players should have the ability to win on any map, and adding in the diversity in competitive play keeps teams from being able to make runs on their favorite maps. That is just my thought. It is not a make or break for me either way. But, I do think that function can take on a mind of its own and actually restrict freedom through democratic rule. Let’s say you like a map and play well on it, but the community has decided that map is trash and now votes it down every time it comes up.

3 didn’t have map voting though, it had a veto system. I think that system works fine, you can veto a map you hate but still play a wide variety since you’re not just always picking the same map, you’re just re-rolling the dice.

Besides which, with the current system I only ever get to play the same maps over and over regardless. There’s supposedly 14 maps (more if different forge variants just show up as one in the list?) in the H4 Squad Battle playlist and after 30+ games I’ve not played 8 of them and I’ve only seen 4 of them once or twice. I think in the last 100 games of Reach I must’ve got to play Swordbase about twice? I legitimately don’t think I’ve ever played countdown in a normal playlist on the MCC, or Powerhouse. I dunno if maps are weighted differently or what but yeah, I don’t get anything close to variety as it is.

I feel like the fact that 343 isn’t giving quite enough info on the game yet. I get they don’t want to spoil everything and leave people less hyped but the sooner they can get feedback on things like these the better. Hoping they lurk these forums. Nobody should expect a perfect launch but I don’t think August-September til launch will be enough time to make enough fixes to the game itself. Need release date and flighting asap.

> 2535415525919240;4:
> I feel like the fact that 343 isn’t giving quite enough info on the game yet. I get they don’t want to spoil everything and leave people less hyped but the sooner they can get feedback on things like these the better. Hoping they lurk these forums. Nobody should expect a perfect launch but I don’t think August-September til launch will be enough time to make enough fixes to the game itself. Need release date and flighting asap.

I agree on that, some sort of beta/flight can’t come soon enough.

> 2533274856249752;3:
> 3 didn’t have map voting though, it had a veto system. I think that system works fine, you can veto a map you hate but still play a wide variety since you’re not just always picking the same map, you’re just re-rolling the dice.
>
> Besides which, with the current system I only ever get to play the same maps over and over regardless. There’s supposedly 14 maps (more if different forge variants just show up as one in the list?) in the H4 Squad Battle playlist and after 30+ games I’ve not played 8 of them and I’ve only seen 4 of them once or twice. I think in the last 100 games of Reach I must’ve got to play Swordbase about twice? I legitimately don’t think I’ve ever played countdown in a normal playlist on the MCC, or Powerhouse. I dunno if maps are weighted differently or what but yeah, I don’t get anything close to variety as it is.

Honestly I don’t think I’ve gotten countdown since halo reach has came to MCC that honestly the map I think about when I think about reach

> 2533274856249752;3:
> 3 didn’t have map voting though, it had a veto system. I think that system works fine, you can veto a map you hate but still play a wide variety since you’re not just always picking the same map, you’re just re-rolling the dice.
>
> Besides which, with the current system I only ever get to play the same maps over and over regardless. There’s supposedly 14 maps (more if different forge variants just show up as one in the list?) in the H4 Squad Battle playlist and after 30+ games I’ve not played 8 of them and I’ve only seen 4 of them once or twice. I think in the last 100 games of Reach I must’ve got to play Swordbase about twice? I legitimately don’t think I’ve ever played countdown in a normal playlist on the MCC, or Powerhouse. I dunno if maps are weighted differently or what but yeah, I don’t get anything close to variety as it is.

either system I would be fine with honestly.

I would much prefer veto, but to each their own.

Any system that allows us to have some control over what map we play on, veto or otherwise. Sometimes, even professional level designers create massive flops in multiplayer level design and forcing your players to play on these maps randomly is an easy way to kill the momentum of your game.

> 2535407008580719;2:
> My only issue is my time playing a lot of Halo 3 and reach. I love the idea of map voting. But, what always occurs is after some amount of time, the community decides what the “good” maps are and always votes those in. I think that within casual games this is a fine system. But, in the competitive scene, I don’t like the idea. Players should have the ability to win on any map, and adding in the diversity in competitive play keeps teams from being able to make runs on their favorite maps. That is just my thought. It is not a make or break for me either way. But, I do think that function can take on a mind of its own and actually restrict freedom through democratic rule. Let’s say you like a map and play well on it, but the community has decided that map is trash and now votes it down every time it comes up.

If a competitive scene decides that some maps are anti-competitive, they should be allowed to democratically remove those maps from the equation. Sometimes maps have dumb gimmicks, bad weapon placement, or bad design that makes playing competitively on them inconsistent and frustrating. Like, do you really want to force your players to play on isolation (Halo 3) for the sake of the one guy who likes flood biomass and mongooses just a little too much?

I see voting’s removal from MCC as a good thing, and I never once wanted it to be implemented into Halo 5.

Map voting leads to a stagnant variety of gametypes and maps. People will vote for things because other people voted for them, not even because they want to play it.

It’s best to have a randomized or set hopper that goes through the list of maps.

> 2533274815711361;10:
> I see voting’s removal from MCC as a good thing, and I never once wanted it to be implemented into Halo 5.
>
> Map voting leads to a stagnant variety of gametypes and maps. People will vote for things because other people voted for them, not even because they want to play it.
>
> It’s best to have a randomized or set hopper that goes through the list of maps.

This is my worry – I’m ok with no voting, so long as the map rotation has a good variety

Maybe map voting or veto will not be the best things but I feel like people should be able to choose what maps they want to be thrown in rotation the most. If a majority of the lobby doesn’t want to play a map then they shouldn’t have to.

While map voting is an interesting feature, I feel as though it shouldn’t return in any capacity. I say this because the developers make so many maps for us to play on. The fact that at any point, everyone picks the same maps and never changes it is the worst part. I want to be able to play on everything they have to offer.

While I understand that 343 doesn’t want to split up the playerbase too much, with the extra population in cross play and being F2P I don’t see why we can’t selectively choose which maps go into our matchmaking preferences.

I’ve wanted this for a while now, but much like games / gametypes in MCC, why can’t we just pick what maps we want in the rotation and keep them equally weighted rather than have 343 dictate that? Player choice should be paramount, and if this ensures player retention, this shouldn’t hurt the matchmaking system too much if there’s a healthy population to back it up.

> 2533274840471901;14:
> While I understand that 343 doesn’t want to split up the playerbase too much, with the extra population in cross play and being F2P I don’t see why we can’t selectively choose which maps go into our matchmaking preferences.
>
> I’ve wanted this for a while now, but much like games / gametypes in MCC, why can’t we just pick what maps we want in the rotation and keep them equally weighted rather than have 343 dictate that? Player choice should be paramount, and if this ensures player retention, this shouldn’t hurt the matchmaking system too much if there’s a healthy population to back it up.

This 100%. Maybe these maps will be equally good though. Never know.

> 2535415525919240;15:
> > 2533274840471901;14:
> > While I understand that 343 doesn’t want to split up the playerbase too much, with the extra population in cross play and being F2P I don’t see why we can’t selectively choose which maps go into our matchmaking preferences.
> >
> > I’ve wanted this for a while now, but much like games / gametypes in MCC, why can’t we just pick what maps we want in the rotation and keep them equally weighted rather than have 343 dictate that? Player choice should be paramount, and if this ensures player retention, this shouldn’t hurt the matchmaking system too much if there’s a healthy population to back it up.
>
> This 100%. Maybe these maps will be equally good though. Never know.

I see ‘good’ as subjective though. Not everyone is going to think Valhalla on H3 is a good map, even if the majority do, and someone will love Orbital (God rest their poor soul). Giving the player the agency to choose, however, keeps everyone happy and playing the game, and even if a map that is lower on the preference list isn’t picked, at least the ones the player chose in their rotation are there as a backup. If they really want to play on a single map, they can choose that one only and play on it all day with others who have it in their preferences.

> 2533274840471901;16:
> > 2535415525919240;15:
> > > 2533274840471901;14:
> > > While I understand that 343 doesn’t want to split up the playerbase too much, with the extra population in cross play and being F2P I don’t see why we can’t selectively choose which maps go into our matchmaking preferences.
> > >
> > > I’ve wanted this for a while now, but much like games / gametypes in MCC, why can’t we just pick what maps we want in the rotation and keep them equally weighted rather than have 343 dictate that? Player choice should be paramount, and if this ensures player retention, this shouldn’t hurt the matchmaking system too much if there’s a healthy population to back it up.
> >
> > This 100%. Maybe these maps will be equally good though. Never know.
>
> I see ‘good’ as subjective though. Not everyone is going to think Valhalla on H3 is a good map, even if the majority do, and someone will love Orbital (God rest their poor soul). Giving the player the agency to choose, however, keeps everyone happy and playing the game, and even if a map that is lower on the preference list isn’t picked, at least the ones the player chose in their rotation are there as a backup. If they really want to play on a single map, they can choose that one only and play on it all day with others who have it in their preferences.

Isolation gets me everytime. I’m like WHY do people want to play this map?! I think filtering search results would be AMAZING.

While it is different in nature to map voting and not just a second thread to this one, I did decide to make a separate thread on search parameters for maps as I think it would be good way to get visibility on this to 343:

Here’s the thread

absolutely agree. the vito system was really great in Halo 3.

Veto was good, until it wasn’t.

Think about all of the times where someone didn’t like the map choice after the vote and quit out of the match before it started? Or when groups of individuals would force the lobby to veto a map with majority vote that most everyone would have picked normally just to be trolls?

There are certainly some flaws in the voting system, as it doesn’t benefit everyone in the lobby and can be manipulated in a negative way.

I see preset search parameters like MCC does with games / gametypes as the way to go.