Infinite Multiplayer = No XBL Gold Required

This is a great perk resulting from yesterday’s Xbox Live Gold pricing fiasco: Xbox officially confirmed they are going a step further and removing the Gold subscription paywall from multiplayer in free-to-play games within the coming months. Halo Infinite Multiplayer is already confirmed as F2P. Hopefully this does even more to sustain a plentiful MP population down the road post-release!

hopefully they eliminate Gold all together and just focus on their Ultimate GamePass.

There have to be some unannounced aspects to the XBL gold price hike. Doubling the price without additional services just makes 0 sense to me.

I’m super pumped that there’s going to be virtually nothing stopping new players from playing Infinite mp though. The bigger the player base the better imo

> 2533274809988140;2:
> hopefully they eliminate Gold all together and just focus on their Ultimate GamePass.

Based, as someone with ultimate gold should be made free to everyone.

> 2533274883108544;4:
> > 2533274809988140;2:
> > hopefully they eliminate Gold all together and just focus on their Ultimate GamePass.
>
> Based, as someone with ultimate gold should be made free to everyone.

thats what I’m saying…game pass gives you nearly every game and the capabilities to play it based off that fee. gold is nothing but a key allowing to online play the same way that an internet connection is the door. I think the price-hike was an intention to push more people to gamepass before its untimely reversal.

> 2614366390849210;3:
> There have to be some unannounced aspects to the XBL gold price hike. Doubling the price without additional services just makes 0 sense to me.
>
> I’m super pumped that there’s going to be virtually nothing stopping new players from playing Infinite mp though. The bigger the player base the better imo

They backtracked on doubling the XBL Gold price. Article here. But they are dropping it for free to play.

> 2533274809988140;2:
> hopefully they eliminate Gold all together and just focus on their Ultimate GamePass.

I keep seeing people saying this but if they remove gold then they need to remove all online sub that require payments to play online.
I’m not remotely interested in game pass so I wouldn’t want my bills to go up just because some people wanted it tied to game pass.

> 2533274829873463;7:
> > 2533274809988140;2:
> > hopefully they eliminate Gold all together and just focus on their Ultimate GamePass.
>
> I keep seeing people saying this but if they remove gold then they need to remove all online sub that require payments to play online.
> I’m not remotely interested in game pass so I wouldn’t want my bills to go up just because some people wanted it tied to game pass.

I’m in the same boat…i don’t play enough games a year to justify gamepass which is why I still have gold. I didn’t mean to insinuate that they get rid of gold and then make everyone get gamepass but to get rid of gold
completely and not have any type of paywall on live services/multiplayer. They’re going to make big money off microtransactions in games on top of gamepass (probably more than they’ve ever made). They’ll be able to sustain their ‘Xbox live’ services off those two enough to eliminate the ‘key’ that is gold.

> 2533274809988140;8:
> > 2533274829873463;7:
> > > 2533274809988140;2:
> > >
>
> I’m in the same boat…i don’t play enough games a year to justify gamepass which is why I still have gold. I didn’t mean to insinuate that they get rid of gold and then make everyone get gamepass but to get rid of gold
> completely and not have any type of paywall on live services/multiplayer. They’re going to make big money off microtransactions in games on top of gamepass (probably more than they’ve ever made). They’ll be able to sustain their ‘Xbox live’ services off those two enough to eliminate the ‘key’ that is gold.

Well I play a lot of games but I tend to own most games that I want so game pass has little value to me plus not a fan of renting games since prefer to keep my games forever.
Not a fan of micro-transactions…I’ve seen it too often lately where systems end up put in place just so they can be used to cut out content and it ends up leading to rushed games like how Halo 5 lacked content at launch.

> 2614366390849210;3:
> There have to be some unannounced aspects to the XBL gold price hike. Doubling the price without additional services just makes 0 sense to me.
>
> I’m super pumped that there’s going to be virtually nothing stopping new players from playing Infinite mp though. The bigger the player base the better imo

Agreed, anything that sustains a healthy population across all modes would be awesome.

And you’re right: the contemplated Gold price hike was transparently a move to shift the cost-benefit calc of a prospective buyer towards electing Game Pass Ultimate as the purchase choice. For over a year now, GPU has been the preferred destination for MS to move consumers toward. For instance, their cross-service promotions almost exclusively utilize GPU and not Game Pass or Gold alone (see: Spotify, Discord, Disney+ promos). This is also shown in how the period of allowing time-for-time conversions from Gold or Game Pass to GPU required a one-way conversion of the player’s account into GPU without the option to ungroup it until full expiration.

I dont need or want GPU and I dont mind paying the same prices for xblg as it is right now. The fact that F2P games won’t require gold just makes XBLG more valuable. Good move on Microsoft for reversing that price hike. All the games on GPU are overwhelming and I can’t see myself utilizing it in a cost effective way because I play maybe 3-4 games a year

> 2533274809988140;2:

Looking how MS is focusing more and more on the Gamepass I think it’s just a matter of time when it will be dropped.

> 2533274886490718;12:
> > 2533274809988140;2:
>
> Looking how MS is focusing more and more on the Gamepass I think it’s just a matter of time when it will be dropped.

For sure I agree.
I remember when they introduced games with gold and that was a huge think. Game pass really overshadows that program now.
The only real benefit of gold is being able to play games online and if anyone is going to get normal gamepass they might aswell get ultimate which negates gold in the first place.

I give it a year or two before it’s gone

Glad it got reversed if it stayed Sony and Nintendo would’ve probably increased their subscription price as well. What they should have done was scrap gold make Xbox live free and then lower the price of standard Xbox gamepass to be slightly higher than gold’s current price and keep ultimate the same price.

If they scrapped gold it would make Xbox more appealing and it needs that right now because it really doesn’t have much to offer at the moment and the price hike how on earth do you convince someone to buy an Xbox with that?

Also pc users not having to pay I mean cmon Xbox really…?

not a quote but because of the pandemic Xbox was saying about the importance of gaming and friendship during these times blah blah blah but pay this subscription if you wanna talk and play online with your friends.

I was very happy when I heard that. I was hoping that’s what they’d do when they announced Infinite was F2P. Break down as many walls as possible for people to play the game in my opinion.

> 2533275031939856;15:
> I was very happy when I heard that. I was hoping that’s what they’d do when they announced Infinite was F2P. Break down as many walls as possible for people to play the game in my opinion.

Agreed, the model has been shown to work in sustaining a healthy player population, and if they’re monetizing sufficiently without loot boxes, then this might be the innoculation against later being unable to matchmake in an aged game.

> 2533274991888305;14:
> What they should have done was scrap gold make Xbox live free and then lower the price of standard Xbox gamepass to be slightly higher than gold’s current price and keep ultimate the same price.

It seemed to have been a premature shot, but it’s definitely still their strategy to migrate people from Xbox Live Gold up to Game Pass Ultimate. Game Pass/GamePass Ultimate just hit 18 million subs…but Xbox Live still has 100 million monthly users, of which no more than a [substantial, sure] percentage of that 18 million are involved with Game Pass in some way. So there is a huge incentive for them to promote upgrading to GPU.
And that’s why it makes so much sense that they’ve been building up Game Pass so much in recent history. For many players who initially balk at increasing their monthly gaming bill by $5, if they look up info on Game Pass Ultimate, they’ll find articles from trusted sources that literally say Game Pass is “the best deal in gaming”. So Game Pass’s sterling reputation is the justification bridge for the increased expenditure. It’s smart, it’s a long term strategy, and it is inarguably a good value, but it does reduce options for those who get by just fine with the traditional Gold + Buy Games structure.

Gold isn’t going anywhere its what keeps the backend servers up and running and allows for updates and features that triple a titles take advantage of, F2p games outside of Microsoft titles dont get those same advantages.

Online play should be free, period!!! If they want to have a pay subscription for things like games with gold or game pass that’s fine and that’s how it should be!

The payment for Xbox-Live Gold is fine the way it is. But if they would increase the price I would be totally against it and would change my gaming system.

Would be another thing if they increase the cost of the gamepass instead.