Infection. The unloved playlist?

First off, if this has been discussed before I apologise. I had this idea a few nights back after reading a thread on Bungie.net to do with this exact topic. I thought I would try bringing it here to see if it would get any momentum here in the very place it needs to be, to be noticed.

So infection. I honestly think its the unloved playlist. Sure it has a decent population compared to other playlists but its not the best playlist. Most people play it to grind kills and keep a good KDR. The reason? Incentive. There is none.

The problem with infection, for me at least, is that your main goal is to kill the zombies. Keep holding them off untill you eventually slip up and die, run out of ammo or the timer runs out. The result? Camping. Every survivor pretty much camps in a cornor and hide with their pistol/shotgun and camp it out. Its not fun for the survivor as they just hide in the same spot, barely moving at all and seriously not fun for the zombies as they have to charge, die, charge, die, charge, die repeatedly untill they eventually get through. So what is the solution? Well I have an idea.

The idea.

Objectives. Give the humans a reason to do something other than camp. in this case we want to have some sort of story or incentive to the survivors. Think about an infection game. Do you have more fun sitting in the same spot, looking in the same space firing shot after shot into the same infected zombie over and over or do you have more fun going from point A to B trying to survive against infected players that can ambush you and jump you? I know I have more fun when I’m going from point A to B.

So we give the survivors an incentive, somewhere to go. Now this is possible with some clever use of safe havens but its not easy and its not the best solution, but its our only solution. At least for Halo Reach. In Halo 4 what if we have a much more sophisticated and deeper infection gametype. What I suggest is Objectives such as assault or territories. Even in an Invasion style. Three phases, for example, would be great. We could come up with a story to our infection games. It would give the survivors something to aim for, besides getting kills.

Now an example. This is just an example I’ve come up with and I think it could be rather fun. The survivors spawn in a specific area of the map and have to go to an objective. In this example lets say they have to capture a territory, the control panel for a door leading into a base. Thats phase 1. In phase 2 the survivors would travel inside the base and take a bomb into the base somewhere and arm it. Then phase 3 would start. The bomb has detonated and the survivors have to get out of the base to an extraction point. They get there and they win. Throughout the entire “mission” they are being attacked by zombies, the infected players. If all the survivors are killed, they lose. If the timer runs out and the survivors havent completed all the objectives/phases the survivors lose.

Now this sounds really unbalanced. Whats stopping survivors from just camping it out somewhere, killing zombies and just racking up kills? We’ll have to look at player traits for this. Now typically zombies are weaker in health but make up for it in speed and power. The zombie traits would remain mostly untouched, giving them only a few tweaks to make them a bit more challanging than a melted marshmallow but you get the idea for them. Its the survivors I want to talk about. Our biggest problem, both currently and in this situation, will be camping.

This idea is actually copied from the thread on B.net, the idea being that the survivors having a degenerating health. The health of a survivor would constantly decline at a slow rate. That way if a survivor would decide to camp, the zombies would just ignore that player, and the survivor would die. But whats stopping the other survivors from dying from this slow death? Every kill they get on a zombie, they regenerate a small proportion of health. Nothing huge, a max of say 5% to 10%. This forces the survivors to go out and kill the zombies instead of camping whilst also rewarding the player a bit for their kill.

Objectives would also reward the player with health though not a small percentage of health. Capturing an objective would reward players with a large health regen, possibly even a full health regen. This will give the survivors an incentive to go to the objective rather than just ignore it.

This would make the infection gametype far more interesting and fun, whilst removing the annoying, tedious and un-fun nature of camping in infection that currently exists. I know this idea is far from perfect but I would love to see what everyone else thinks, and if this is a worthy idea for Halo 4’s infection game mode.

Thanks.

I made a thread the other day about bieng able to combine gametypes. So I support this 100%.

Awesome. I love the idea of mixing gametypes, it would really let the community explore their creativity.

Objectives?

Those would be fun to see in Infection. I know quite a few Forgers that would do some pretty clever things if they had the standard functionality seen in games like Assault, and there are other games that could be remade using such features.

Shield vampirism to encourage movement and kills?

Clever. But it only works if a camping Human can’t kill Zombies. Map flaws could exist in Halo 4 that give Humans the ability to kill large numbers of Zombies without ever leaving; something like the flagpole in Reach’s Boardwalk, for example. If the Zombies avoid areas within that perch’s line of sight, then their movement becomes extremely limited, which makes it much more difficult than it should be for them to attack players that aren’t abusing the map.

The vampirism is a good idea, but it has its limits. What we need is better map design.

> Objectives?
>
> Those would be fun to see in Infection. I know quite a few Forgers that would do some pretty clever things if they had the standard functionality seen in games like Assault, and there are other games that could be remade using such features.
>
> Shield vampirism to encourage movement and kills?
>
> Clever. But it only works if a camping Human can’t kill Zombies. Map flaws could exist in Halo 4 that give Humans the ability to kill large numbers of Zombies without ever leaving; something like the flagpole in Reach’s Boardwalk, for example. If the Zombies avoid areas within that perch’s line of sight, then their movement becomes extremely limited, which makes it much more difficult than it should be for them to attack players that aren’t abusing the map.
>
> The vampirism is a good idea, but it has its limits. What we need is better map design.

I agree that the shield vampirism is only good as long as the map being played is suited better for the gametype. Hopefully Halo 4 will bring some great map design and will be able to play this sort of gametype without any problems. And there is always forge, something I think we will be seeing in Halo 4.

For the objective part, how about make it like the Invasion Slayer capture points? Stand in an area for 15 seconds and ten seconds later after you capture it, weapon drops for additional ammo and/or power weapons.

The beauty of the Objective Infection idea is that it can be any objective, so if you want an invasion slayer drop point then you could put it in. I understand that it may be a bit difficult to implement all the objectives for infection but if its possible why not? It would add a lot of fun into the gametype and it would inspire a lot of creativity.