Individual performance based CSR

“In the mainstream playlists, we sort players by their performance (score) after every match, regardless of whether their team won or lost. The system will expect the players with the highest CSR values to rank consistently higher in the match. So if you bring all your awesome friends into those playlists and they dominate while you end up at the bottom of the scoreboard, your rating will NOT be carried by them; it will decrease instead.”

Just individual skill…?
Then in that case, I’ll have a 50 that’s worth nothing.

HAHAHAHA these aren’t ranks

I would rather have nothing

> HAHAHAHA these aren’t ranks

exactly. Also why I won’t care to even bother looking at my waypoint stats to see what my CSR is. Chances are someone will call me a scrub months from now pointing out some CSR I didn’t even look at in the first place lol

I play with some friends who are not super good at Halo and don’t care. Apparently because I want to play with them it will make me de-rank even if we win. ok w/e.

Every team playlist rank should be based off of your team…period. I mean cmon…individual based ranks in Infinity Slayer??? People will care less about teamwork than they already do in that playlist. If you want to have a playlist for casual people to go in without actual teamwork then bring back social playlists.

Where is this quote from?

> Where is this quote from?

it’s directly from the new halo bulletin.

they will give shirts to “the most skilled” players, they want us to be happy and stop the rage on the forums.
I really hope a H2A in on the way. u.u

> > Where is this quote from?
>
> it’s directly from the new halo bulletin.

Thanks. I didn’t see the new bulletin was up.

> Every team playlist rank should be based off of your team…period. I mean cmon…individual based ranks in Infinity Slayer??? People will care less about teamwork than they already do in that playlist. If you want to have a playlist for casual people to go in without actual teamwork then bring back social playlists.

Yeah that’s ridiculous. I appreciate 343i trying to please the community as much as possible by including ranks but it’s always one step forward two steps back with a lot of their decisions. This totally drives players away from team work in the playlists they chose for individual ranks.

Just read the Bulletin and they don’t use individual performance for each playlist, they do use W/L for some of them. It goes as follows:

Individual Performance

Infinity Slayer
Big Team Infinity Slayer
Rumble Pit
Multi-Team
Team Action Sack
Flood
Team Snipers
Regicide
SWAT

Win/Loss

Castle Team DLC
Team Objective
Capture the Flag
Dominion
Team Throwdown
Team Doubles
Grifball

Here is a link to the Bulletin blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/03/The-Halo-Bulletin-4313.aspx

How is this going to work? If our worst player scores higher than all our enemies… He ranks down? I can understand him only getting a tiny positive benefit or just staying exactly where he was at… But punished for winning? Good one 343.

Wait it bases my rating off of my teammates scores?

So if I play with some of the better friends I have to try to work on our teamwork and increase my skill with them, I’m going to drop in rank?

Essentially, I’m not supposed to work on teamwork? I’m supposed to lonewolf it in all of my matches or just not play with any of my higher skilled friends?

That is absolutely ridiculous. I am appalled at how utterly degenerate such a system is to competitive gameplay and teamwork. There are many instances when a team of skilled players has one member that does the dirty work. Gets the flag reset, gets the assists, guards the hill and doesn’t get any time. You’re not always going to come out on top when you play with a competitive team. But it’s not about coming out on top of your team, it’s about winning against the other team.

I was hoping a new ranking system would promote players to work together more. Because there are too few team players in match making these days. Not only does this system not do that, but it also penalizes me if I play with my own team, which is generally more skilled than I am right now.

I don’t want to hate 343. I salute them for the hard work they’ve put into other areas of the game but their take on competitive Halo is not logical and they need to take certain essential core mechanics of a successful competitive matchmaking experience into better consideration.

> Just read the Bulletin and they don’t use individual performance for each playlist, they do use W/L for some of them. It goes as follows:

Wow that is somewhat of a relief. Still, I’d like it if every playlist was based on W/L ratio. Because snipers, SWAT, Infinity Slayer, BTB etc. can all be just as competitive and require team work as say, Team Throwdown or CTF.

> Just read the Bulletin and they don’t use individual performance for each playlist, they do use W/L for some of them. It goes as follows:
>
> Individual Performance
>
> Infinity Slayer
> Big Team Infinity Slayer
> Rumble Pit
> Multi-Team
> Team Action Sack
> Flood
> Team Snipers
> Regicide
> SWAT
>
> Win/Loss
>
>
> Castle Team DLC
> Team Objective
> Capture the Flag
> Dominion
> Team Throwdown
> Team Doubles
> Grifball
>
>
> Here is a link to the Bulletin blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/03/The-Halo-Bulletin-4313.aspx

There’s your ranked/social split.

>
> Individual Performance
>
> Infinity Slayer
> Big Team Infinity Slayer
> Rumble Pit
> Multi-Team
> Team Action Sack
> Flood
> Team Snipers
> Regicide
> SWAT
>
> Win/Loss
>
>
> Castle Team DLC
> Team Objective
> Capture the Flag
> Dominion
> Team Throwdown
> Team Doubles
> Grifball
>
>
> Here is a link to the Bulletin blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/03/The-Halo-Bulletin-4313.aspx

I’m only going to be playing Throwdown and Doubles from now on. Individual, performance based, ranking systems are awful for team-based game types.

> > Just read the Bulletin and they don’t use individual performance for each playlist, they do use W/L for some of them. It goes as follows:
> >
> > Individual Performance
> >
> > Infinity Slayer
> > Big Team Infinity Slayer
> > Rumble Pit
> > Multi-Team
> > Team Action Sack
> > Flood
> > Team Snipers
> > Regicide
> > SWAT
> >
> > Win/Loss
> >
> >
> > Castle Team DLC
> > Team Objective
> > Capture the Flag
> > Dominion
> > Team Throwdown
> > Team Doubles
> > Grifball
> >
> >
> > Here is a link to the Bulletin blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/03/The-Halo-Bulletin-4313.aspx
>
> I’m only going to be playing Throwdown and Doubles from now on. Individual, performance based, ranking systems are awful for team-based game types.

Honestly I like the way this is set up. I wish Infinity Slayer and BTB used W/L, but I like this separation.

Well they did say those playlists won’t be as competitive and it will be more of a fun based skill level.

Individual ranks don’t work, especially on Halo. On Reach I lost many regular team mates because when we would play together, I would consistently rack up more assists/kills, and as a result get a higher rating (usually between 1600-1700). And when we would finally get rated, despite the fact that we fought and won the same amount of games against the same people, I would always be rated Onyx, and they would always be rated silver/gold. That didn’t foster a healthy team relationship. It just made them feel a bit bitter, and me feel a bit guilty. In team games, it’s usually more about chemistry and teamwork than individual skill. You will always have the main slayer types (like me), then the invaluable support players that usually rack up assists, keep map control and get shots on players, then the sneaky beavers that time weapon spawns/power ups… Skilled teams come in infinite configurations, and the player with the most kills on that team should never be celebrated more than any other. It’s bad for teamwork, bad for the playlist and it encourages selfish lone wolfing that will further reduce the competitiveness of the playlist.

My respect for 343 and their understanding of what made Halo 2/3 great has diminished greatly in the past 8 months. They just don’t seem to grasp the fact that the standard 1-50 ranking system was a fan favorite - and something that was copied by many other game developers over the years because of it’s success. Sure, it had some pretty big flaws (as Frankie points out in his rantish NeoGaf posts), but they could have been sorted with a bit of logic and understanding. Boosting wasn’t that much of an issue, because you still had to win at level 45+ to get that 50 (and I believe many low ranked players never understood what boosting actually was - Frankie included). Level 45-50 was competitive 90% of the time on Halo 3. You’d get the occasional game with players that clearly weren’t skilled enough, but they would be swiftly embarrassed and shamed by the legitimate team of 50’s.

As long as people with a mindset like Frankie’s are in control, I don’t think we will ever see the competitive streak return to Halo. Reading some of his NeoGaf posts trashing the Halo 3 ranking system from his personal experience in playlists (having never had a level 50, or been good enough to get one) makes me think he’ll never understand what it means to social/casual/competitive players to have a visual skill indicator that consistently matches you against players of a similar skill, while also representing bragging rights and showing your hard work.

Take a look at two of the most successful competitive games of today. Starcraft - ranked leagues, Black Ops 2 - ranked leagues. See a correlation there Frank? You copied everything else from CoD, why stop at skill based ranks (the only thing worth copy/pasting in to Halo 4)?