Inclusion of Clan System

This hasn’t been discussed in a few months, and the topics that I have seen on the issue were lacking in details or reasons, so…

One of the most popular additions to Halo 2 was the Clan system, where players could create and manage their own clan list, and bring their clan into “Major” or “Minor” clan skirmishes. Many were upset that this system did not return to Halo 3/Reach.

While the internet has many offsite clan forums and websites, this has led to clans becoming more and more mechanized. The beauty of the Halo 2 system was that all you needed was a group of people, a clan name, and enough online at some point to play a game. Many find joining an offsite clan, dealing with their ranks, and having to labor through clan “tryouts” and “practices” to be monotonous and taxing. It burns players out.

Halo 2’s clan system catered to not only those who wished to be in a super-organized clan, but those who simply wanted to have fun as well. Both types of clans were encountered in Clan skirmish matchmaking, and it never felt overly competitive, or casual.

The reason that the clan system was removed was because it was essentially a second friends list. I don’t see why that is such a big deal now that 343 has the ability to store and release huge amounts of data in the form of saved games, pictures, gametypes, and custom maps. I can’t see it being too taxing on the system.

Do you guys want to see the return of in-game clans in Halo 4? Why or why not?

From what I can tell, it looks like it might possibly make a return. I didn’t play Halo 2 MM (late to the party), but I have a group of friends that I play with quite frequently, that I think a clan system would work fairly well for!

Never played Halo 2 online but I’m all for it! Sounds useful

Well, there will be some sort of “group” feature in the game. I imagine that it’ll be similar to the clan system from Halo 2.

> Well, there will be some sort of “group” feature in the game. I imagine that it’ll be similar to the clan system from Halo 2.

Was this found in a gameplay video or something?

> > Well, there will be some sort of “group” feature in the game. I imagine that it’ll be similar to the clan system from Halo 2.
>
> Was this found in a gameplay video or something?

In-game screenshots. I can’t remember the source, but it does appear that it might return.

> > > Well, there will be some sort of “group” feature in the game. I imagine that it’ll be similar to the clan system from Halo 2.
> >
> > Was this found in a gameplay video or something?
>
> In-game screenshots. I can’t remember the source, but it does appear that it might return.

Not in-game screenshots. It was in a thing Gamestop gave to its employees.

Oh, just googled it. Skip to around 2:40 for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZhCjNJ6h38

Yeah I really missed the clan system in Halo 2. I also really missed the friends list feature in Halo 2 as well where you would press the Y button, and this list pops up in-game keyword where you can see which of your friends are online, their level, send a message, invite, clan invite, etc. It was really cool.

> > > > Well, there will be some sort of “group” feature in the game. I imagine that it’ll be similar to the clan system from Halo 2.
> > >
> > > Was this found in a gameplay video or something?
> >
> > In-game screenshots. I can’t remember the source, but it does appear that it might return.
>
> Not in-game screenshots. It was in a thing Gamestop gave to its employees.

I believe you mean this?

Never played Halo 2 online, I would LOVE 2 see something like that, it would be very useful

Halo 2 clans were some of my best child hood memories; so much fun. I would love to see a return.
I’m a Gamestop manager and I got nada :frowning:

> The reason that the clan system was removed was because it was essentially a second friends list.

If that was the only reason, it was a poor one. Many other games out at the time had clan-type systems. Chromehounds comes to mind.

If it’s not coming back, they need a much better reason than “it’s a second friends list.”

Microsoft was the one who made Bungie remove clan-system because of it being “basically a second friends list.”

I still remember to this day Bungie stating this, and how upset I was.
I doubt it would be included again, because Microsoft would probably still not allow it.

> > > > > Well, there will be some sort of “group” feature in the game. I imagine that it’ll be similar to the clan system from Halo 2.
> > > >
> > > > Was this found in a gameplay video or something?
> > >
> > > In-game screenshots. I can’t remember the source, but it does appear that it might return.
> >
> > Not in-game screenshots. It was in a thing Gamestop gave to its employees.
>
> I believe you mean this?

Yeah, that’s what I meant.

> > > > > > Well, there will be some sort of “group” feature in the game. I imagine that it’ll be similar to the clan system from Halo 2.
> > > > >
> > > > > Was this found in a gameplay video or something?
> > > >
> > > > In-game screenshots. I can’t remember the source, but it does appear that it might return.
> > >
> > > Not in-game screenshots. It was in a thing Gamestop gave to its employees.
> >
> > I believe you mean this?
>
> Yeah, that’s what I meant.

Glad to be of service. I hope those lads further up in the thread see this.

Isn’t this what your friends list is for? Just because you don’t have the same colors, emblems, armor, ect. dosen’t mean your not in a clan, you and your friends together as one unified unstoppable team makes a clan.

> Isn’t this what your friends list is for? Just because you don’t have the same colors, emblems, armor, ect. dosen’t mean your not in a clan, you and your friends together as one unified unstoppable team makes a clan.

The point of having a recognized clan is to fight other clans, and see who is better, or have unique clan-only playlists to allow these matches to happen. Usually this sort of thing occurs via a third party site, and limits you to only clans registered to said site.

> > Isn’t this what your friends list is for? Just because you don’t have the same colors, emblems, armor, ect. dosen’t mean your not in a clan, you and your friends together as one unified unstoppable team makes a clan.
>
> The point of having a recognized clan is to fight other clans, and see who is better, or have unique clan-only playlists to allow these matches to happen. Usually this sort of thing occurs via a third party site, and limits you to only clans registered to said site.

Idk, the last time i was in a clan our leader played everything but halo and his co-leaders had no idea what was going on (aka a disaster). So i don’t do clans anymore, i just play with friends as friends.

> Isn’t this what your friends list is for? Just because you don’t have the same colors, emblems, armor, ect. dosen’t mean your not in a clan, you and your friends together as one unified unstoppable team makes a clan.

Including clans makes it easier to play with friends. It’s an incentive for friends to play Halo together, rather than just playing different games in a party chat.