In Halo4 lets bring variety in weapons and characters. (Pretty longish...)

So I am here to share an idea of variety in weapons, vehicles, and characters. An idea that I think will add more depth and (duh) variety to Halo 4, 5, 6 while also adding a level of detail so far not seen in any other video game.
Living Things. (Part 1/2)
Now in every video game to date you have an “X” number of enemies and allies that all have the same height. All Elites are the same height, all locust are the same height, all combine, zombies, etc are the same height. We have slight changes in armor and colors and voices but overall they are just mass produced clones.

Yet why? Why not create an engine that can produce more then that. Marines who are not just different skin colors and armor but heights and builds. Some that are 6 feet, some that are 5 feet and so on. Same with enemies and everything else LIVING in Halo 4. Now this adds such a more in depth variety to the game that it feels more real. It’s not just “look blue aliens fighting green marines” it’s realistic and that alone could make Halo 4 a better game.

And the funny thing is most of these changes might not seem big at all. However small changes like that are always good for a game. It could start a MASSIVE video game trend.

Weapons and Vehicles (Part 2/2)
This part is a big longer. Mainly because it goes into some details of weapon ideas and vehicle ideas!

Now inbetween Halo:Reach and Halo 3 there are tons of weapons and variety of weapons that sometimes are just lost in time. Yet why? Why take out so many weapons and vehicles??? Balance? LMAO Balance should never be over variety and fun. You can balance 100 weapons as much as 3 weapons.

For example to me you can have The SMG, Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle and DMR in the same game. Here’s an idea.

SMG:
Clip:60
Total:4 clips
Damage:Weak. (maybe 45 hits to kill)
ROF:High (around Halo 3 ROF)
Reload Speed:Very Fast.
Extras:Duel Wield. Silencer, Scope. (attachments)
Effective Range: Very Close Range.

Assault Rifle:
Clip:32
Total:4 clips
Damage-Mid (around 15-20 hits to kill)
ROF: Average ROF
Reload Speed: Average
Extras: Flashlight, Other?
Effective Range: Close Range

Battle Rifle
Clip: 36 (9 shots)
Total: 3 clips
Damage:High-Mid (Around 6 body hits, 3-4 for head shots)
ROF: Around Halo2/halo3 rofl.
Reload Speed: Pretty Slow.
Extras: Stronger Scope (3x instead of 2x)
Effective Range: Mid Range

DMR (MASSIVE CHANGE DUN DUN DUN)
Clip: 7 shots
Total-2 Clips
Damage-High (4 hit kill. 3 for headshot)
ROF: Very Slow (think sniper rifle ROF)
Reload Speed: Pretty Slow.
Extras: Same as BR
Effective Range: Long Range

The DMR has the most change. It becomes more of a Long Range sniper(ish) weapon and less of a BR clone. It would have similar aiming as Reach making it very bad at close-mid range yet good at long range. However it’s power makes it great for anyone who wants total skill. All DMR games will be heavily about aim.

I could go on with more weapons however I believe the Plasma Rifle, Spiker, Needle Rifle, Carbine and more should return. All with ways to keep them original, balanced and overall fun.

Add possible mode in depth attachments that don’t hinder weapons too overpowered or underpowered. For example a silencer wont make a gun weaker or stronger it may however do what it should do MAKE IT SILENT MAKING IT HARDER TO PINPOINT. Scopes would only give guns slight advantages that wont change gameplay too much.

Weapons could include
>Pistol
>Plasma Pistol
>Plasma Rifle
>Spiker
>SMG
>Assault Rifle
>Battle RIfle
>DMR
>Sniper Rifle
>Beam Rifle
>Carbine
>Needle Rifle
>Rocket Launcher
>Fuel Rod
>Plasma Launcher
>Grenade Launcher
>Shotgun
>Gravity Hammer
>Energy Sword
>Anything else I forgot.

Then we have vehicles. So many vehicles are killed off in Halo it’s not even funny. We get the classics like Warthogs, Ghosts, etc but some just don’t come back. The Spectre, Chopper, Prowler even the Halo:CE rocket hog are gone too fast :-/.

Why can’t the Prowler and Spectre exist together? Why can’t we have two types of rocket hogs? Why can’t we drive pelicans and phantoms (even if it’s just campaign). Think of how fun Halo 4 could be with
>Chain Gun Hog
>Gauss Hog
>Halo Reach Anti-Air rocket hog
>Halo:PC anti armor rocket hog
>Troop Warthog

>Ghost
>Spectre
>Prowler
>Chopper
>Banshee
>Falcon
>Hornet
>Scorpion
>Wraith
>Revenant

(and others)
That’s at least 14 vehicles that can be used in massive battles. Fun multiplayer maps and custom games. You can create such fun maps and battle zones. May seem like “TOO MUCH” but I say it’s perfect.

TL;DR: Add more stuff in Halo 4

i completely agree except the mongoose, vampire and possibly the locust.
also the weaons should be
smg
assault rifle
brute plasma rifle
plasma rifle
plasma pistol
magnum
plasma launcher
grenade launcher
dmr
br
sniper rifle
needle rifle
carbine
beam rifle
sentinal beam
golden sentinal beam
spartan laser
focus rifle
shotgun
energy sword
gravity hammer
a possible unsc version of the energy sword
Rocket launcher
FRG
CE Frg

I agree. More variety is always better.

I had the exact same idea! It’s alwayas good to have varitey! Not to fond of atachments IMAO.

I disagree. Not all enemies are the same height, Jackals, Grunts, Elites, drones, they’re all totally different. That’s the point. I’m sure 343 will have variation in enemy size and fighting style.

Also, I miss Halo when it had the following:
Pistol
Shotgun
AR
Sniper
Rocket
Needler
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Rifle

Everything else after that was frivolous and un-needed in my opinion. I loved the purity of a weapon having a particular role, and not sharing that role with a different race’s variant.

There’s weapons in Reach I’ve never even picked up, like the spiker.

> I disagree. Not all enemies are the same height, Jackals, Grunts, Elites, drones, they’re all totally different. That’s the point. I’m sure 343 will have variation in enemy size and fighting style.
>
> Also, I miss Halo when it had the following:
> Pistol
> Shotgun
> AR
> Sniper
> Rocket
> Needler
> Plasma Pistol
> Plasma Rifle
>
> Everything else after that was frivolous and un-needed in my opinion. I loved the purity of a weapon having a particular role, and not sharing that role with a different race’s variant.
>
> There’s weapons in Reach I’ve never even picked up, like the spiker.

i totally agree with you on the spiker, in my opinion it should have been replaced by the brute plasma rifle in halo3

Yet why just have one of each gun, in that case you might as well not even have plasma weapons or any similar weapons.

Purity does not need to exist 5 games into Halo’s career, it’s had it’s moments to be low in the gun and vehicle count but this is Halo 4, it’s new, “bigger” and less weapons and stuff will only make a game boring and less replayable. Give people a ton of options they will love it because it can literaly change a game in the simplest of ways.

Even if it’s not on weapons then how could you say less vehicles is good? Halo 4 could introduce truly massive land/sea/air battles and if you only have hogs vs ghosts and banshees vs w/e it would be boring and bland, yet you throw in variety of vehicles and such on each side now you have epic possible of battles to the abfwe.

I don’t think that will happen it will still have some weapons but if halo 4 is a new trilogy it has to be different guns and stuff.
Also I don’t think Covenant are in halo 4 so there wouldn’t be covenant weapons but the idea is cool because I dont want to use a sentinal beam every level.

I happen to like marines having the same size. I think Elites should have that distinction. Rarely is it mentioned of giant marines in the novels. But we have that badass Admiral Elite with that shiny awesome armor who stands 7 feet tall (IIRC).

But I agree about different armor. Halo 3 was moving towards that distinction (marines with goggles, marines with backpacks and radio antennae). Reach just killed it (sure there’s some special marines, perhaps relevant to that GRD helmet, but they still look like troopers). Halo 4 is supposed to be H3’s successor, not Reach’s. Marine armor distinction should return.

But not only that. It would be great if they were like today’s troops: team leader, 1 sniper, 1 grenadier, 2 dedicated marksmen, 2-3 with automatic weapons, perhaps 1 rocket launcher guy. In Reach, on LNoS, the infinite troops spawned in the Pelican, it was jumbled up and bland.

Oh they are big changes. I agree. Distinction adds a lot more fun to the game, especially when you can move them without them moving around. Look at what I did with my marines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZIVJTuu_mo

I put the team leaders (they had backpacks IIRC) on the far right, sergeant next to machine gun Arbiter, sword Arbiter at the way back as a general (he doesn’t participate because I never killed him. He’s just there for show, eye candy), BR marines in the back, AR marines in the front, a shotgun marine, a marine positioned near the rocks so I can give him the rocket launcher, goggle marines at… Well, I can’t actually remember how I positioned all of the marines. Furthermore, they moved around while I was away which is why the formation looks bad.

Well I for one I think the weapons should be upgradeable like the weapons in MoH Airborne. Imagine a SMG with a suppressor and reduced recoil, a pistol and AR with bigger clip size, the BR with a better scope, faster rocket launcher reload, shotgun with better range, etc. I mean, changing the DMR drastically might be a good idea, but most of those weapons were in Halo 3 and it wouldn’t make sense for the same weapon to undergo changes. Attachments are just CoD. The AI noticing where you are is in MoH and also in Reach. I think upgrades are a better idea for returning weapons. They would work based on kills, kinda like how the Reach achievements associated with weapon kills (i.e. Needler) work. Get enough kills with the weapon, get an upgrade.

As for silencers, I’m pretty sure it’s possible to make them harder to detect.

You should be asking Bungie those questions. 343 might actually introduce Scarab, Pelican, Phantom driving. Bungie came close but not close enough. Maybe because it would be too sensationalist. Think about it. We drive scarabs, pelicans, phantoms… we would get bored. To attain a portion of the power of jtag modders comes at a terrible price: we become bored with the game. So if those are included, they should be challenging to get, like the Halo 2 Scarab gun, but should have all the features (unlike the easter egg in Halo: Reach in which we couldn’t use the gun).

Anyways, I completely agree about reintroducing the vehicles. In Halo 3, they were skewered (as well as Elite ranks. No Zealots! D: ). In Halo: Reach, they (as well as other stuff) returned in spirit (i.e. Revenant, pistol, Hemorrhage, Falcon) but they are not replacements for the original thing. They’re just there to fill in the gap. Which is why there is a huge chance of the originals returning in Halo 4.

On TOp of having a nice load of jazz to play with Halo 4 should make more use of such things. For example the scorpion should be used more then 1/4 of a level and so on.

In response to the changes in height for AI which you said, in programming it is always a hell of a lot easier to make a single program, copy over, and change the aesthetic outward portions of those copies (such as color, skins, outfits, etc.), but when you try to change the physical properties of a class of program (such as height, width, length of certain body parts in comparison to others) it becomes more difficult, especially if they were to keep making different heights of similar characters, because you would have to do a complete rewrite of the program. In the long run it is usually not worth it and is just easier and more efficient if you just made a base figure all with similar properties, just different skins and colors. I’m not an expert programmer or anything, and sure as hell don’t have near as much experience with computers as the programmers at 343, but most programs do have to follow some set of rules.

Halo 4 is the future. Step up the game don’t just copy and paste old methods.

If games were afraid to try new things Halo wouldn’t even exist.

All I ask is a Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle
A Fully Auto Shotgun weak shotgun
A Covenant Pistol similar to a Revolver
Alot of Forerunner weaponry and Vehicles
A anti-tank weapon similar to GoW 3’s Digger launcher
A UNSC weapon equiped with a bayonet attachment
And include the Covenant energy Shield

Ugh Weapon variety…i am sorry but that term leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I guess it’s been ruined for me because when that term is thrown about, it’s usually for the defense of lolARstarts.

I agree with it all except the damage of the DMR and BR. I’m one that likes realistic guns in games more than balance. The DMR fires a 7.62mm bullet just like the AR so I think it should do about the same damage, unless the DMR has a higher grain count then it should do a little more than the AR. The BR fires a 9.5mm round which is pretty big compared to a 7.62, thus would do much more damage. Plus there’s three of those bad boys flying in the target’s direction so right there that’s a lot of damage. The DMR would probably be more suited for unshielded/weak-shielded targets and the BR be better for shielded targets. Also, a 7.62 probably wouldn’t fly as far as a 9.5mm round since the 9.5 would have a higher grain count which propels it further, but since bullet drop isn’t taken into account that doesn’t really matter (would be cool if it did). Reload time would also be about the same for DMR, BR, and AR since all their magazines are pretty similar and in the same relative position. ROF for DMR would be as fast as one could pull the trigger. I would love it if they brought most of the weapons and vehicles back from the entire series to give a larger variety of those that may not like all the ones included. And completely agree with the silencer and its sound, but would like the choice between sub-sonic and supersonic bullets (like whats really used with a silencer today). Sub-sonic rounds make the silencer more effective because there is no supersonic shockwave, thus much less sound; only draw-back is a very slight reduction in damage (nothing like what is seen in MW2; it’s still a bullet for pete’s sake not what seems like a rubber bullet >_>). Supersonic rounds wouldn’t be as quiet but wouldn’t have the damage reduction. But that’s just me.

> Ugh Weapon variety…i am sorry but that term leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I guess it’s been ruined for me because when that term is thrown about, it’s usually for the defense of lolARstarts.

Which is hilarious, seeing as AR starts do not increase variety of weapons used one teeny bit.

And this thread is a -Yoinking!- joke. More guns for the sake of having more guns. Beautiful. Let’s muddy up Reach’s disaster of a sandbox even more.

I don’t care how many things are in the game, just as long as it is balanced.

Balance is more important than variety.

> I agree. More variety is always better.

Really? Then why is Reach turning into DMR/Magnum Reach. Other weapons are being useless.

Ever wondered why MLG has a fairly limited sandbox? Not because it’s a group of people that hate variety, but because there are only a few weapons that Bungie has been able to balance correctly.

Having that many weapons just won’t be balanced by a company that’s not good enough at their own game to tell if the sandbox is balanced or not.

> Ever wondered why MLG has a fairly limited sandbox? Not because it’s a group of people that hate variety, but because there are only a few weapons that Bungie has been able to balance correctly.
>
> Having that many weapons just won’t be balanced by a company that’s not good enough at their own game to tell if the sandbox is balanced or not.

Halo CE had a good variety and it was near perfect.