In-Engine Cutscenes

Does anyone want 343i to go back to in-engine cutscenes like the Bungie games? While the stuff in Halo 5 and all the stuff by Blur is pretty, I feel like it creates a huge disconnect between the game and the story.

I would like it if 343i returns to in-engine cutscenes so I can go and do some things to mess with the cutscene. And yes, I also feel a sort of disconnect due to pre-rendered cutscenes. TBH, I was a little disappointed with H2A that they didn’t remastered the in-engine cutscenes. Even though the Blur cutscenes are nicely done, I prefer going back to the in-engine cutscenes to get a little more out of that immersion.

Should in game cutscenes really matter though? It’s a Sci fi futuristic shooter and in game cutscenes don’t really do games like these justice anymore

> 2533274830166194;3:
> Should in game cutscenes really matter though? It’s a Sci fi futuristic shooter and in game cutscenes don’t really do games like these justice anymore

I think the ones that weren’t CGI in Halo 4 did an excellent job.

> 2533274819030629;4:
> > 2533274830166194;3:
> > Should in game cutscenes really matter though? It’s a Sci fi futuristic shooter and in game cutscenes don’t really do games like these justice anymore
>
> I think the ones that weren’t CGI in Halo 4 did an excellent job.

Blur cutscenes really set the tone.The cutscene right after you beat Cairo station is so much better then in the original because it actually conveys the battle in the most halo way if that makes sense

> 2533274830166194;5:
> > 2533274819030629;4:
> > > 2533274830166194;3:
> > > Should in game cutscenes really matter though? It’s a Sci fi futuristic shooter and in game cutscenes don’t really do games like these justice anymore
> >
> > I think the ones that weren’t CGI in Halo 4 did an excellent job.
>
> Blur cutscenes really set the tone.The cutscene right after you beat Cairo station is so much better then in the original because it actually conveys the battle in the most halo way if that makes sense

I prefer the original scene to be honest.

What do you mean by in-engine?

> 2533274989469309;7:
> What do you mean by in-engine?

In-engine cutscenes are rendered using actual game assets. For example, the environments in Halo 3’s cutscenes are the same environments that you would see playing the game. Some of these, such as the bridge of the Shadow of Intent, are hidden somewhere to be inaccessible to the player, but they are rendered by the game engine itself.

In contrast, pre-rendered cutscenes use a different set of assets created specifically for those cutscenes. Examples of these are Blur’s cinematics from Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo Wars (2). The settings and characters are modeled and animated separately from the game, and are not accessible in gameplay.

I’m sure there’s some faults in my terminology but I think the general idea is that:
in-engine = uses stuff in the game
pre-rendered = uses stuff not in the game

> 2535437652903765;8:
> > 2533274989469309;7:
> > What do you mean by in-engine?
>
> In-engine cutscenes are rendered using actual game assets. For example, the environments in Halo 3’s cutscenes are the same environments that you would see playing the game. Some of these, such as the bridge of the Shadow of Intent, are hidden somewhere to be inaccessible to the player, but they are rendered by the game engine itself.
>
> In contrast, pre-rendered cutscenes use a different set of assets created specifically for those cutscenes. Examples of these are Blur’s cinematics from Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo Wars (2). The settings and characters are modeled and animated separately from the game, and are not accessible in gameplay.
>
> I’m sure there’s some faults in my terminology but I think the general idea is that:
> in-engine = uses stuff in the game
> pre-rendered = uses stuff not in the game

Speaking of the Shadow of Intent, do you remember that glitch at the beginning of The Ark where you could get the theater camera inside the room where the cutscene took place?

I personally love Blur’s work so I’d like it if they did Infinite. But I mean if the game will actually look like that engine trailer, I’d be very fine with in-game cutscenes lol

> 2533274819030629;9:
> > 2535437652903765;8:
> > > 2533274989469309;7:
> > > What do you mean by in-engine?
> >
> > In-engine cutscenes are rendered using actual game assets. For example, the environments in Halo 3’s cutscenes are the same environments that you would see playing the game. Some of these, such as the bridge of the Shadow of Intent, are hidden somewhere to be inaccessible to the player, but they are rendered by the game engine itself.
> >
> > In contrast, pre-rendered cutscenes use a different set of assets created specifically for those cutscenes. Examples of these are Blur’s cinematics from Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo Wars (2). The settings and characters are modeled and animated separately from the game, and are not accessible in gameplay.
> >
> > I’m sure there’s some faults in my terminology but I think the general idea is that:
> > in-engine = uses stuff in the game
> > pre-rendered = uses stuff not in the game
>
> Speaking of the Shadow of Intent, do you remember that glitch at the beginning of The Ark where you could get the theater camera inside the room where the cutscene took place?

Yeah. It’s one of the few glitches that I remember. Never tried it myself, though.

> 2533275031939856;10:
> I personally love Blur’s work so I’d like it if they did Infinite. But I mean if the game will actually look like that engine trailer, I’d be very fine with in-game cutscenes lol

Don’t get me wrong, I like Blur, but I think in-engine cutscenes give the game a more grounded and cohesive feel.

> 2533274819030629;12:
> > 2533275031939856;10:
> > I personally love Blur’s work so I’d like it if they did Infinite. But I mean if the game will actually look like that engine trailer, I’d be very fine with in-game cutscenes lol
>
> Don’t get me wrong, I like Blur, but I think in-engine cutscenes give the game a more grounded and cohesive feel.

I can appreciate that, I’d be fine either way.

[deleted]

I prefer the Blur scenes. Now if we ever get another game with a customizable protagonist like Reach, I’ll opt for in engine.

I’ll take in-engine cutscenes over pre-rendered any day. I still find it jarring to go from cutscene to gameplay when they’re pre-rendered.

> 2533274933538004;16:
> I’ll take in-engine cutscenes over pre-rendered any day. I still find it jarring to go from cutscene to gameplay when they’re pre-rendered.

That’s where I’m coming from. It’s like stepping into another world. Halo 5 is like a movie slapped onto a game.

I think 343 will have in-engine cinematics for Halo Infinite,though I won’t be shocked if they partner with Blur or Axis once again.

I’d much prefer in-engine cutscenes as they maintain a sense of cohesion throughout the Campaign and you don’t necessarily lose anything beyond fidelity.
Look at the cinematography in Halo 3, ODST or Reach, or Halo 4’s excellent use of motion capture; It doesn’t really make sense to use up your budget on expensive pre-rendered cinematics when, especially now with the new Slipspace engine, you can achieve a similar effect with in-game assets.

> 2533274840469109;18:
> I think 343 will have in-engine cinematics for Halo Infinite,though I won’t be shocked if they partner with Blur or Axis once again.

It could go either way I’m sure, but they’ll probably end up using CGI scenes again.

> 2533274900668879;19:
> I’d much prefer in-engine cutscenes as they maintain a sense of cohesion throughout the Campaign and you don’t necessarily lose anything beyond fidelity.
> Look at the cinematography in Halo 3, ODST or Reach, or Halo 4’s excellent use of motion capture; It doesn’t really make sense to use up your budget on expensive pre-rendered cinematics when, especially now with the new Slipspace engine, you can achieve a similar effect with in-game assets.

I wholeheartedly agree. All those games are excellent examples of in-engine cutscenes. All of which are more memorable than the Halo 5 CGI ones. Halo: Reach especially.