improvements for 4, modified AA's weapons etc.

Starting off with the AA’s

Sprint is easily the most well suited armor ability Reach implemented, it increases gameplay speed and flow, as well as making you feel more like a Spartan, which is equally as important and has been one of the more ignored aspects in terms of immersion (IMHO) The only thing is that while sprint is good it is not great, also the immediate distance you get from the lunge ability is fairly useful so why can’t they be turned into a more organic system?

Have rb (when pressed or perhaps double tapped) give you a short burst of speed that if still held down will slow down into a fast jog that uses medium energy levels, but you could also rapidly tap the button to sprint at the cost of higher energy, button mashing always feels good right?

Armor lock can be broken down in a similar way, what I will say first is that NO I DO NOT THINK ARMOR LOCK IS THE END OF THE WORLD, it’s annoying but not to the extent people make it out to be. The only problem IMO is that the lack of movement and the complete invulnerability breaks the flow too much, if other movement based AA’s were improved, why not give lockers the ability to move, perhaps at a slower speed, and make it more like a portable overshield, that slowly drains and would refill when pressing or holding rb. Catering to the people who just want to run in guns blazing with no care for tactical space.

Jetpacking I find to be much worse than armor lock because it breaks so many maps, I’d much rather see a charged jump that you could perform by holding a at the expense of energy, because you can actually design levels around this and not have flies shooting down at you from god knows where.

Relating to jumping, and this is totally off topic, MC weighs around two tons and I want to be able to squish grunts and the like when I jump on them, also perhaps get more of an environmental response from his weight, although that could be some serious overkill design wise, the jumping kills could be as well, just a thought.

If you’re going to keep decoys why do they have to spawn on me? why can’t I put them anywhere? and have more precise control over them, let them have rudimentary AI.

Invisibility should not block out the sounds of the person I am playing split screen with, besides that I don’t really have any gripes with it except that I think it worked better as something you find on the map, especially as those badass little triangles.

This would be really extreme but if you put the armor abilities on the trigger and grenades on rb you could put in pressure sensitive controls for AA’s and make them more organic, the same could likewise be done with grenades, have the trigger pull decide how much force goes into the grenade toss, this could also lead to grenade cancelling, much like sword cancelling but this way I don’t throw unneeded grenades that are about to hit my teammates

What was wrong with the name covey slayer? really?

reducing the bloom on the DMR really increased the flow of the game, the pistol as well, i still personally miss the feel of the BR, although the DMR sounds far more badass, on the contrary the pistol sounded more badass in Halo CE

Weapon wise there were lots of unnecessary covenant weapons, like the repeater and the rifle, why two guns that serve the same purpose? I think the CE version of the rifle was godly but obviously dual wielding changed that up. The needle rifle has no punch, the carbine did, the plasma launcher also has no punch, the gun feels -Yoinking!- squishy and I’m lobbing balls of death at people, thats messed up! why not a needler sniper that fires a giant needle at high speeds that’s also anti vehicle, or why not a needler minigun? or a turret? you know you want to shoot that. Going back to the needle rifle, the focus rifle although good gets very little attention from players so what if that replaced the needle rifle in a less powerful form or it shot burst or SOMETHING ELSE! The concussion rifle is pretty boring and is too much like the human grenade launcher, which is the more successful form so make a different kind of gun! If hypothetically my harpoon needler sniper became the covenant anti vehicle weapon you could have a lighter form of the fuel rod cannon which is a really fun weapon and makes no sense anti air wise because it shoots slowly and how would it be able to track targets? Also the fuel rod cannon would bounce off the floor in reach whats that about? The gravity hammer is really ineffective against people with AA’s since it’s so slow and doesn’t have lunge like the sword.

I would personally like the see weapon swapping speed up to take advantage of multi weapon combos, reloading could take the same amount of time as long as swapping was faster. If duals come back and I hope they do, is there really no way to holster them and also balance grenade throwing? you could only dual with one set and then only throw grenades with the non dual set of weapons perhaps?

Enemy wise let’s see some mini bosses! let’s have more dynamic battles, when a dropship is coming in, give me a reason to actually want to hide from it or else it attacks instead of just adding false suspense OH HIDE oh no wait it doesn’t matter… let’s get some mini bosses like High ranking elites with swords and SHIELDS, or go all nuts and throw in some invisible hunters, with a chapter called “never saw em’ coming”

John 711343 signing off

No AA.

So not to hate on you or anything but how else would you propose that Halo evolve gameplay wise? it needs the increased flow that they allow, it’s just another tool that makes the game so much more tactically interesting and caters it to different kinds of players, I disagree with you completely, AA’s are the evolution the series needs, I’m a hardcore halo fan and I enjoy the older titles, but when it comes down to it they don’t make you feel like a Spartan, Spartans are capable of insane feats of agility and strength, the game needs to express that and AA’s are the closest they’ve gotten.

Also I said rb a few times when I meant lb

> So not to hate on you or anything but how else would you propose that Halo evolve gameplay wise? it needs the increased flow that they allow, it’s just another tool that makes the game so much more tactically interesting and caters it to different kinds of players, I disagree with you completely, AA’s are the evolution the series needs, I’m a hardcore halo fan and I enjoy the older titles, but when it comes down to it they don’t make you feel like a Spartan, Spartans are capable of insane feats of agility and strength, the game needs to express that and AA’s are the closest they’ve gotten.
>
> Also I said rb a few times when I meant lb

In my opinion, Halo needs to take Halo 3, fix the problems and common complaints, add new maps, campaign and graphics, and build a new experience out of that. I don’t know what exactly to add to build on the halo experience, but I do know equipment evolved the experience of halo, where as AA’s devolved it. Spartans may be capable of great feats, but think like this: just because they can, is it necessarily best for gameplay?

> > So not to hate on you or anything but how else would you propose that Halo evolve gameplay wise? it needs the increased flow that they allow, it’s just another tool that makes the game so much more tactically interesting and caters it to different kinds of players, I disagree with you completely, AA’s are the evolution the series needs, I’m a hardcore halo fan and I enjoy the older titles, but when it comes down to it they don’t make you feel like a Spartan, Spartans are capable of insane feats of agility and strength, the game needs to express that and AA’s are the closest they’ve gotten.
> >
> > Also I said rb a few times when I meant lb
>
> In my opinion, Halo needs to take Halo 3, fix the problems and common complaints, add new maps, campaign and graphics, and build a new experience out of that. I don’t know what exactly to add to build on the halo experience, but I do know equipment evolved the experience of halo, where as AA’s devolved it. Spartans may be capable of great feats, but think like this: just because they can, is it necessarily best for gameplay?

I think if the armor abilites were altered it would be completely beneficial for the game, they could be integrated with the pick ups 3 had I suppose, but sprint in particular adds so much flow to the game, I don’t want to go back to the old Halo it feels so slow, especially on the larger maps, but maybe that’s just me I play on 9 sensitivity. This game is about flow and constant movement, which is really the antithesis of most shooters which are based on cover, in Halo if I can think faster I will always win, that’s how it should be. Armor abilities are just an expression of that, if I’m in a situation where my weapons don’t cut it and cover isn’t an option you deserve a second chance, screw getting killed because you just wasted two guys and your guns need to be reloaded, give me an armor ability so I can fight another day brother

> > > So not to hate on you or anything but how else would you propose that Halo evolve gameplay wise? it needs the increased flow that they allow, it’s just another tool that makes the game so much more tactically interesting and caters it to different kinds of players, I disagree with you completely, AA’s are the evolution the series needs, I’m a hardcore halo fan and I enjoy the older titles, but when it comes down to it they don’t make you feel like a Spartan, Spartans are capable of insane feats of agility and strength, the game needs to express that and AA’s are the closest they’ve gotten.
> > >
> > > Also I said rb a few times when I meant lb
> >
> > In my opinion, Halo needs to take Halo 3, fix the problems and common complaints, add new maps, campaign and graphics, and build a new experience out of that. I don’t know what exactly to add to build on the halo experience, but I do know equipment evolved the experience of halo, where as AA’s devolved it. Spartans may be capable of great feats, but think like this: just because they can, is it necessarily best for gameplay?
>
> I think if the armor abilites were altered it would be completely beneficial for the game, they could be integrated with the pick ups 3 had I suppose, but sprint in particular adds so much flow to the game, I don’t want to go back to the old Halo it feels so slow, especially on the larger maps, but maybe that’s just me I play on 9 sensitivity. This game is about flow and constant movement, which is really the antithesis of most shooters which are based on cover, in Halo if I can think faster I will always win, that’s how it should be. Armor abilities are just an expression of that, if I’m in a situation where my weapons don’t cut it and cover isn’t an option you deserve a second chance, screw getting killed because you just wasted two guys and your guns need to be reloaded, give me an armor ability so I can fight another day brother

Then make it like Halo 3 where the big maps had fast routes to travel for those on foot so that isn’t too much of a problem. If anything I think the base movement of Halo 3 needs a slight bump up so it doesn’t feel like you are walking through mud, and that should be it, as while sprint speeds up gameplay, allowing a player to run to cover or run away from an engagement as well as get to the power weapons because of others seems more bad than good. A bump up in speed seems to keep the same general good things with not as much bad things. The thing about AA’s that makes it hard to think about what to do is before someone uses an AA, you have no clue what they are running with until they use it (besides jetpack of course) or if you can see their back and tell from that, but let’s be honest, if they are oblivious enough to not realize you are behind them to see that, you’re going to try to get the drop on them or assassinate them anyways. In my opinion, if you get yourself in a foolish place like that, you do deserve death because you weren’t prepared just in case of such an event, and death lets you start over and punishes you for getting in that situation.

Fewer weapons, with each weapon being more effective is what I’d like to see. If nothing else, just bring back the BR.

> > > > So not to hate on you or anything but how else would you propose that Halo evolve gameplay wise? it needs the increased flow that they allow, it’s just another tool that makes the game so much more tactically interesting and caters it to different kinds of players, I disagree with you completely, AA’s are the evolution the series needs, I’m a hardcore halo fan and I enjoy the older titles, but when it comes down to it they don’t make you feel like a Spartan, Spartans are capable of insane feats of agility and strength, the game needs to express that and AA’s are the closest they’ve gotten.
> > > >
> > > > Also I said rb a few times when I meant lb
> > >
> > > In my opinion, Halo needs to take Halo 3, fix the problems and common complaints, add new maps, campaign and graphics, and build a new experience out of that. I don’t know what exactly to add to build on the halo experience, but I do know equipment evolved the experience of halo, where as AA’s devolved it. Spartans may be capable of great feats, but think like this: just because they can, is it necessarily best for gameplay?
> >
> > I think if the armor abilites were altered it would be completely beneficial for the game, they could be integrated with the pick ups 3 had I suppose, but sprint in particular adds so much flow to the game, I don’t want to go back to the old Halo it feels so slow, especially on the larger maps, but maybe that’s just me I play on 9 sensitivity. This game is about flow and constant movement, which is really the antithesis of most shooters which are based on cover, in Halo if I can think faster I will always win, that’s how it should be. Armor abilities are just an expression of that, if I’m in a situation where my weapons don’t cut it and cover isn’t an option you deserve a second chance, screw getting killed because you just wasted two guys and your guns need to be reloaded, give me an armor ability so I can fight another day brother
>
> Then make it like Halo 3 where the big maps had fast routes to travel for those on foot so that isn’t too much of a problem. If anything I think the base movement of Halo 3 needs a slight bump up so it doesn’t feel like you are walking through mud, and that should be it, as while sprint speeds up gameplay, allowing a player to run to cover or run away from an engagement as well as get to the power weapons because of others seems more bad than good. A bump up in speed seems to keep the same general good things with not as much bad things. The thing about AA’s that makes it hard to think about what to do is before someone uses an AA, you have no clue what they are running with until they use it (besides jetpack of course) or if you can see their back and tell from that, but let’s be honest, if they are oblivious enough to not realize you are behind them to see that, you’re going to try to get the drop on them or assassinate them anyways. In my opinion, if you get yourself in a foolish place like that, you do deserve death because you weren’t prepared just in case of such an event, and death lets you start over and punishes you for getting in that situation.

I totally agree with not being able to see what armor ability they have being somewhat annoying but I’ve never been in a situation where I was at a disadvantage or had an upper hand because I knew what AA they had, you just go with it. To me the whole point of AA’s is always having an option, what I meant by my example is that if I had used up both of my clips and had no grenades, I would still have a fighting chance against another target, either running up on him or running away, which is what you would do if you didn’t have AA’s anyways, or you could circle strafe but that’s not going to get you very far. Yeah you could have grabbed equipment if it was 3 but that way when you die you think oh I should have grabbed just adds another layer of collecting instead of quick thinking. Spawning with AA’s keeps you focused only on getting weapons, equipment is really cool though so I would also like to see it come back in some way, I would take grav lifts over jetpacks any day, I think a hybrid of AA’s and equipment might be really interesting. I don’t totally agree that AA’s are the be all end all, Halo 3 is fun and I do miss it’s more relaxed pace because of the movement speed, I’m just really sick of people not thinking AA’s are worth salvaging at all

Pleas God send AA’s to hell. The equipment from Halo3 was amazing, pick it up and activate once when you want; perfect. Obviously some new ones could be made. If I see one more Halo game where a guy uses armor lock to survive my effort to kill them I will go to their house.

Imagine the situation in this video is started because of armor lock.

> I’m just really sick of people not thinking AA’s are worth salvaging at all

The main reason I feel like this is because the idea of spawning with abilities that can affect gameplay so drastically AND are pretty much infinite use is something I’ve never seen before in halo, nor does it necessarily work with the gameplay that has been set and expected from halo.

I guess I’ll give my two cents on Halo 4:

Halo 4 is a sequel to Halo 3, not Reach. With that being said I don’t think we should be building Halo 4’s multiplayer off of Reach as much as we should be taking aspects from Reach and adding them onto Halo 3 (but only if they work).

Reach split the community more than any other game I’ve seen through gameplay preference. You’ve got gamers that like/dislike AAs, bloom, bleedthrough, weapons, vehicles, etc. There are literally an infinite number of gameplay combinations based on these features, but when you get down to it it just comes to people who like the Classic gameplay-styles of CE/H2/H3, and the people who are tired of that and want something new.

With that said, I think if Halo 4 wants to be the big hit it wants to be then it’s going to have to cater to both styles the same way that Anniversary is doing with Reach. There is no such thing as the perfect Halo gameplay that caters to everyone’s playing style equally.

If I were 343, I’d make Halo 4 have as many vast features as it can. Everything from AAs to none, spread to bloom, bleedthrough to shield-pop, healthpacks to re-gen, faster speed to slower, competitive to casual, new weapons/vehicles to old, etc.

I know this sounds like a huge undertaking, and I’m sure all of it won’t get done, but simply put: The more Halo 4 has to offer, the better it will be.

> > I’m just really sick of people not thinking AA’s are worth salvaging at all
>
> The main reason I feel like this is because the idea of spawning with abilities that can affect gameplay so drastically AND are pretty much infinite use is something I’ve never seen before in halo, nor does it necessarily work with the gameplay that has been set and expected from halo.

I suppose you’re right it is very different from the original style, I was just running with the new style, AA’s do end up making things a little too crazy, I’d be happy with increased movement speed, it’d be a hell of a lot easier to design levels without them

> > I’m just really sick of people not thinking AA’s are worth salvaging at all
>
> The main reason I feel like this is because the idea of spawning with abilities that can affect gameplay so drastically AND are pretty much infinite use is something I’ve never seen before in halo, nor does it necessarily work with the gameplay that has been set and expected from halo.

I suppose you’re right it is very different from the original style, I was just running with the new style, AA’s do end up making things a little too crazy, I’d be happy with increased movement speed, it’d be a hell of a lot easier to design levels without them

They should have sprint in halo 4, master chief has ran before. its not that he couldnt in halo 1-3 he just didnt want to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z36WDj2PcU&feature=player_embedded see!

> They should have sprint in halo 4, master chief has ran before. its not that he couldnt in halo 1-3 he just didnt want to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z36WDj2PcU&feature=player_embedded see!

Reach really slowed down walk speed. I cant remember if 1-3 had the same walk speed but I play halo1 every now and then and that walk speed seems pretty damn good. With walk speed like that screw running, save the buttons for other features.

I wouldn’t have a problem with AA if they were more like Evade and Hologram.